Replies

• joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    Hello group! 🦋
    Maybe a sober October?

10/1-10/7: AF
    10/8-10/14: AF
    Yesterday I was off work and-huge surprise-no stomach ache. This weekend is open besides taking care of my parents so now is a good time to job hunt.
    I got two bathing suits in the mail I ordered for my Bali trip. I was feeling really proud that I’ve lost 46 pounds. Then I put the suits on. It is not good people. Not good. However. That’s not going to stop me from going to Bali and having a memorable vacation!
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,339 Member
    Options
    10/1- A
    10/2-10/3-10/4-10/5 AF
    10/6-10/7- 10/8 - A
    10/9-10/10 10/11- 10/12 - AF
    10/13- 10/14 - A
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    October accountability: 5 days AF
    Alcohol: 9 days (25.5 drinks)
    Goal: Limit 1-2 glasses per day; 12-16 AF days per month. Aim to drink no more than 2 nights in a row.

10/14 - 7 drinks ; Think Pink (breast cancer) fundraiser luncheon. After all the free flowing Prosecco during the 3 hr event I didn’t get anything done in the afternoon. I’m calling it 5 glasses of Prosecco PLUS 2 glasses of wine in the evening since I brought home a nice bottle of wine from the wine pull at the event and we opened it for dinner.
  • Lilylady3k
    Options
    I thought of 2 things I would like to do in my retirement. One is to somehow volunteer to help other widows wade through the paperwork, legal and financial side of death (I have a financial background and I see how overwhelming it could be if you don't). The other is to play golf in every state. I always told my husband I would like to do that when we retired. Now I need to wrap up my job and start planning these things.

Wonderful ideas for being active in retirement. I love giving back to others and your idea of helping widows deal with the financial side really makes sense. When my mom's husband passed away in 2020 it fell to me to get everything straight. On the financial side they had very little (no savings accounts) but there were multiple checking accounts (5) that had to be transferred and consolidated, credit cards to cancel, insurance policies to revise, sold his car, their boat, etc etc etc. Then I set her up with a savings acct with an auto transfer from her checking to savings to start building an emergency fund. She had more money than she needed all of a sudden. And since I've convinced her to sell her house in 2022 and move into my little house next-door to hers that we used for vacations ... she now has a Fidelity account and no expensive bills for maintaining her place that needed a lot of work (seawall, roof, plumbing, septic tank, etc). AND she got rid of all her bills (almost) since we arranged that she gives me $500 per month and I pay all the bills.
    My DH and I do everything together with our portfolio but if he passes I will have a lot to figure out remaining. There are so many things to consider and though we've talked through the issue that could come up it would help to have an ear to bounce my memories off on what to do next.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,654 Member
    Options
    Hi : - )
    I am Dawn.
    I live in SE BC, Canada.
    I joined this group in November 2018, and had my very first AF day in many many years then.
    My usual goal is 16-20 AF days per month, and have maintained that for a few years until September of this year when I had only 14AF days (couldn't resist the daily Margaritas in Mexico I guess).

I do this diary style.

Friday October 14 - Drinks - I was almost euphoric finally finishing work for the week last night. My short term tenant finished his 6 weeks of schooling and also left yesterday. I felt so happy and free. This weekend I will be digging potatoes after pulling all of the rest of my peppers and tomatoes. I am hoping to have one more week before digging up all of my carrots and beets. The house will get cleaned some other time :p

Rolling total: 9AF days out of 14 days.
  • Lilylady3k
    Options
    October accountability: 6 days AF
    Alcohol: 9 days (25.5 drinks)
    Goal: Limit 1-2 glasses per day; 12-16 AF days per month. Aim to drink no more than 2 nights in a row.

10/15 - AF; Church Bazaar they had non-alcoholic strawberry daiquiri which DIL & I both enjoyed after yesterday’s over indulgence. We skipped the beer, wine and margaritas.
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,522 Member
    Options
    Many of you said such nice things that lifted me, thank you :)

Bali trip sounds super amazing @joans1976 - how many days left?

And I LOVE the pictures of all the balloons!!! @Breathe57103.

I learn so much from all of you. Just simple lessons...like let go of fears, look towards the future...don't be scared of change. You inspire me to create the change in me.
  • globalhiker
    Options
    @krishjaye wow you are doing amazing-ride that momentum! You could inspire those around you.
    I will say that long exercise does wonders for me. It gets my head to stop chattering and puts me in a really chill state. It's a good place to be. I think it's called serenity and it comes with no hangover.
  • globalhiker
    Options
    @Breathe57103 your ideas are sound and I see you very being successful in helping women in this situation. Many, if not most are widowed or divorced or just alone. Half of my friends and former co-workers are in this situation.

• tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,339 Member
    Options
    10/1- A
    10/2-10/3-10/4-10/5 AF
    10/6-10/7- 10/8 - A
    10/9-10/10 10/11- 10/12 - AF
    10/13- 10/14- 10/15 - A
    10/16 - AF
  • joans1976
    Options
    @globalhiker Well, since you asked, 62 days, 2 hours, 10 minutes!!! Lol I have a countdown on my phone!
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    joans1976 wrote: »
    @globalhiker Well, since you asked, 62 days, 2 hours, 10 minutes!!! Lol I have a countdown on my phone!

@joans1976 what app do you use ? I would like this!
  • joans1976
    Options
    @sarah7591 Its literally called “Countdown” and it has a star with a clock in the middle. Free.

@forestdweller1 I was just feeling sorry for myself the other day and it was the kick in the pants I needed to get myself to workout more. Losing 46 pounds has way more benefits to cancel out how I look in one swimsuit from Amazon. Thank you for the kind words.
    If moderation isn’t working, have you tried stopping for awhile in the past? It sounds like you have.