Christmas is coming up in a few months...

Options

Replies

• j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want on any given holiday. If I feel the need I will get some early morning exercise in
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm more worried about Halloween to be honest. All those delicious mini sized Reese's and Oh Henrey's.... All the Rocket's and alcohol...That has me way more stressed than Christmas haha.
    My only worries for Thanksgiving and Christmas is that now that I've been dating my bf for a year+, I'll have to go to both meals >.<
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I eat a little bit of everything that's available! It's the holidays. Just a couple days, not a lifetime. Those few days are NOT going to make or break me. I refuse to stress over my weight thus ruining my memories of holiday, family and fun.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Turkey breast (no skin); mashed cauliflower, cranberry sauce sweetened artificially, steamed carrots and brussel sprouts topped with no sugar marmalade, gravy made with fat free chicken broth and cornstarch, mousse made with canned pumpkin, artificial sweetener, fat free cream cheese and low cal whipped topping. Glass of white wine.

That is a kinda sad Thanksgiving dinner

For me I try and eat at least as much as I did the yr before if not more
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    On Thanksgiving I start with mimosas and brunch with friends and it's all downhill after that. I eat as much as possible on the holidays and realistically until the leftovers are gone. It kind of makes me sad people are already worried about what they are going to eat in a few months.
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I eat within my calories every other day than Christmas Day. Then, I do whatever I like. I eat to maintain on the other days between Christmas and New Year, and stay active to earn more calories. If I have any family meals or anything, I won't count, because sometimes having quality time with family is more important. It's only a week out of the year, there are 51 more to get healthy and lose weight.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Ive cooked all the holiday meals since I was 18. So, Im pretty used to it. This year Im revising all the recipes to make them low cal. No butter, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, instead of regular, more seasonings like fresh herbs, making things sugar free, avoiding canned items if possible. Ex. I love jellied cranberries. Im going to make sugar free cranberry sauce, then add gelatin and "gel" it myself. Then I can control whats in it. Also make sure to exercise and eat in moderation.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    To those who have been on myfitnesspal for some time, what do you guys do around Christmas and Thanksgiving time to avoid over eating?

Nothing. I over eat. Thanksgiving is just one day so it generally doesn't cause a gain. Christmas is days of partying. I typically gain 5-7 lbs each year. It's gone by the end of January. Not really a problem.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    too many people worry about the time between thanksgiving and christmas, when they should be worrying about the time between christmas and thanksgiving.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Turkey breast (no skin); mashed cauliflower, cranberry sauce sweetened artificially, steamed carrots and brussel sprouts topped with no sugar marmalade, gravy made with fat free chicken broth and cornstarch, mousse made with canned pumpkin, artificial sweetener, fat free cream cheese and low cal whipped topping. Glass of white wine.

Yeah, I agree. It would take a heck of a lot more than one glass of wine for me to enjoy that meal.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I actually lost weight over the last holidays, about 15 lbs from Thanksgiving to New Year's.

I still ate, cooked, and drank. Just logged it all and if it fit in my daily calories and macros, it was all good.
    Worked out about 4 days every week, no excuses. I plan on doing that again this time around.
    :smile:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    It's the first week of September. By starting to fret about it now, you will certainly make a huge mountain out of this moleheap and as such waste all of this energy on climbing the (now mountainous) moleheap. So much so that you won't have any time to make a decision to stick to your goals while enjoying the spirit of the season.

Congrats, dear fretter, your moleheap mountain awaits you. Look on the bright side, though. You may be able to burn a few calories hiking up your moleheap.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Yeah, I agree. It would take a heck of a lot more than one glass of wine for me to enjoy that meal.
    I tried the mashed cauliflower thing one year. Did not go over. :frown: Contrary to what the Biggest Loser Cookbook says,:laugh: it does NOT taste anything like mashed potatoes.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Nothing, I completely over eat and enjoy it anyways! This will be my 3rd holiday season on MFP and I plan on doing exactly the same thing!
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,789 Member
    Options
    just eat what I want, its only 2 days a year so its not going to ruin everything ive done, but ill probably bump up my workouts a bit just to be safe :)
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Really, if you keep the damage to the actual holidays themselves (and maybe a few days after for leftovers!) it really can't do much damage. At most I'll gain 5 lbs, and most of it will come off in a week after eating normally again!

I love holiday food to much to worry about dieting on those days! I'm surprised so many of you do!
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,789 Member
    Options

I tried the mashed cauliflower thing one year. Did not go over. :frown: Contrary to what the Biggest Loser Cookbook says,:laugh: it does NOT taste anything like mashed potatoes.
    ive made them twice and was liking the results, Ill stick with potatos
  • BIRD0
    BIRD0 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't really care for Christmas, as an atheist childfree adult. My boyfriend and I usually have dinner at his parents house, and his mom does all the cooking. She's very fit and health-conscious so I don't really worry about that. The last few years, we went skiing (or hiking) for a few hours Christmas morning and then do presents and then at night, dinner.

But Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I wear elastic pants and eat everything in sight. We eat dinner early on Thanksgiving at my parents house, around 2pm. I don't eat breakfast that day (last year I cooked the core food (turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes (and I put a whole thing of cream cheese and a whole thing of sour cream in my mashed potatoes, yum)). After eating all the food in the world, I'm not hungry again until the next day. And I usually don't eat pie/dessert on Thanksgiving, but the day after- if there's any left.

I don't know what we're doing this year as we will be living 1500 miles away from my parents (and like 2300 from his). Probably a small scale of my family's Thanksgiving feast (definitely core foods, probably a vegetable and that's it) if we don't visit family. I'm pretty sure his parents will be visiting us for Christmas, but due to their dietary restrictions, I won't be cooking Christmas dinner.

(Edited because I do not eat deserts)
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My family does a sort of potluck get together for most holidays, so I try to bring a veggie tray or veggie side dish that I know I can eat a bunch of guilt-free. As for everything else, I just eat in moderation--I avoid the buns/bread because I don't miss them *that* much, and I've gotten in the habit of either taking one normal piece of dessert that I really really want, or if I can't decide I take a tiny amount of each (like two bites of each). And I definitely don't take leftovers home. Too tempting :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    oh I eat, drink and be merry
    who cares!!
    ITS HOLIDAY TIME!!
    and THAT IS PARTY TIME!