November 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,751 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Got in another 5 miles before work this morning bringing me to 85.32 for the month. Not going to make it into the 100-mile club. Oh well. There is always next month!

@martaindale - Hope you get some good news today from PT (doctor?) visit and are continuing to see improvement.

Thanks @quilteryoyo. I didn't get my hair cut but it is up in a bun on the back of my head. The bride had someone come and do our hair and make-up. The benefits of owning a spa! Your race is coming up soon. Are you flying or driving to FL?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Just a baserun today, though Garmin is acting up again after a firmware update and defined this as a temporun. Sigh.

01.11 Tue 12°C 4.0km 33min 8:09/km
    02.11 Wed 10°C 6.4km 51min 8:00/km
    04.11 Fri 10°C 5.5km 45min 8:13/km
    05.11 Sat 7°C 7.5km 65min 8:40/km
    06.11 Sun 10°C 3.7km 30min 8:06/km
    08.11 Tue 12°C 6.0km 48min 8:07/km
    10.11 Thu 11°C 5.4km 46min 8:35/km
    12.11 Sat 7°C 10.2km 88min 8:40/km
    14.11 Mon 8°C 3.8km 30min 7.59/km
    23.11 Wed 5°C 3.0km 25min 8:19/km
    24.11 Thu 6°C 5.5km 47min 8:31/km
    25.11 Fri 7°C 7.2km 60min 8:20/km
    27.11 Sun 5°C 8.0km 67min 8:24/km
    28.11 Mon 5°C 4.4km 35min 7:58/km
    29.11 Tue 5°C 4.0km 35min 8:30/km

total: 84.53/80.5km (6.3km ahead)
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    62.95/70 mile goal

I didn't work at daycare today, so I waited until it warmed up and then went out for a run. I wanted to keep my HR under 130 bpm today, but it didn't cooperate. It was a sneasy driveway run. My legs were fine, but I had a hard time breathing, and, like I said, my HR was higher than it should have been for the effort - possibly because I couldn't' breathe. :lol: I managed to run/walk 2.25 miles in 30:34 minutes for an average pace of 13:35 min/mile. My avg HR was 139 and max was 152 bpm. I also walked a mile total for warm up and cool down.

Then, I got my Gator and went down to clean up the mess on my driveway from a tree that fell on it Sunday afternoon. That took nearly 30 minutes - one Gator full of big limbs I brought to the house to saw up later and one Gator full of little limbs and debris that I dumped out of sight. There are still some limbs on my side of the road that are too heavy for me to lift.
    8be22a15rag9.jpg
    The mess I cleaned up. Should have taken an after picture.

vq6553dha20f.jpg
    Someone had moved it out of the road before I saw it. At least it missed my mailbox. What's left of the tree that broke and fell can be seen to the right of the mailbox.

After that, I went down to mom's and she and I took the neighbor's dog for another walk. Since that walk was slow, it didn't get counted in my calories, but we did walk right at a mile.
  • quilteryoyo
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Nice running @yirara ! Congrats on beating your goal.

Has anyone set up next month's thread yet? If so, I missed it.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Good morning from Cape Town, 🇿🇦

Got in a v.scenic 10Miler to kick start November.

Target for Nov is 135.
    zbhndzqpj4hj.png

li5d0z1cphsx.jpg

r2k1urkg962h.jpg

Managed 149 for November. Pleased considering there were a few days I didn't run when on vacation in SA!

Please 🙏 can one of you lovely ladies tag me in the December thread 😊

at2ok6dr6qo4.png
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks @Scott6255 ! Nice run. That is crazy warm temps for the end of November. We're supposed to have a cold front come through today too, so bye bye morning temps in the 40's and 50's.

You are doing great @yirara !

Thanks @tarun_yadavA . Congrats on exceeding your goal for the month, esp. since you were on a long vacation.

GREAT news on the Achilles @martaindale ! I'm so glad you were able to run after your appointment with no pain. And, glad the sports medicine guy gave you a plan to make it to the Dopey challenge. I say there is no shame in walking all or part of the runs. You're still a rock star.

Someone, I don't know how, needs to set up December's thread. @martaindale ? @Scott6255 ? Anyone else who knows how?
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    GREAT news on the Achilles @martaindale ! I'm so glad you were able to run after your appointment with no pain. And, glad the sports medicine guy gave you a plan to make it to the Dopey challenge. I say there is no shame in walking all or part of the runs. You're still a rock star.

There is absolutely no shame in walking parts. For me, it's more an issue of time. At my anticipated pace, walking aid stations to limit the amount of stuff I have to carry, and coming off of 3 days of running and super early mornings, I was expecting a 4:45-5 hr marathon. Depending on the amount I need to walk, that time could easily creep up to 6 hours and that is a looooong time on the course. I would need to rework my fueling plan, sunblock, maybe clothing options. It's just a different type of race given the number of miles. For the shorter distances, it's less of a concern. In fact I am now considering just walking the 5k and maybe half of the 10k just to save my legs. Especially if I am still needing to be gentle. If I can bounce back and run as normal without issues, maybe I'll run. Who knows? It's too early to tell at this point.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Great news @martaindale so happy whatever was happening is on the mend. The thought of the balloon ladies is pretty scarey tho! See yall in Dec.

The balloon ladies cause a lot of people a lot of stress! These races attract a higher percentage of casual runners, first timers, and people who don't realize how much training goes into these distances and show up underprepared. On one of my online groups, people will pop in every now and then having just started running and ask about training for Dopey 9-10 months out. People are really encouraging but I just don't think it's wise to push that level of running less than a year after you start. Every race weekend, there are those that signed up for a challenge or the longest distance available, don't train, then freak out in the last couple of weeks. People seem to think that if they are run-walking the training isn't as bad. But even the Galloway plans are a ton of mileage and if you are run-walking, you have several multihour long runs leading up to race weekend. I have heard the balloon ladies are super encouraging and really try to help keep people moving, but inevitably a lot of people get swept.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    @martaindale that is such Great news about your Achilles! Glad you won't have to DNS the Dopey race. I remember that was a bucket list race for @PastorVincent. Maybe think of him at some point during your race and give him a shout-out :'(