December 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    @yirara @Fit2btied2016 I’m always impressed by you northern folks that run in sub freezing, snowy, icy conditions. It rarely gets that cold here, and if it does we still don’t have much snow so it’s just cold. Not all the things piled on at once. @Fit2btied2016 I hope you feel better soon!
    Tramboman wrote: »
    OK if I lurk for a while?
    Yay!! Absolutely!

@shanaber That park is gorgeous!

@tarun_yadavA Wow, that is a big jump! Great work. You definitely seem to have one speed. It’s hard for me to imagine running 7 miles and 20 at the same pace. You earned the couch time for sure!

@quilteryoyo Fingers crossed for you. The flu has been crazy at the schools here too. Luckily my kid has avoided it so far. I’m so glad we got their vaccine done on time this year. Sometimes we just get busy and it doesn’t happen until winter break, which could have been a really problem this year.

• martaindale
    Options
    @Scott6255 You started stalking the weather for race day yet?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    @martaindale to be honest, the snow is more than a month early this year. And to be honest, I'd not expect much snow in January or February either. So in a way this year is a bit unusual. For me it's too cold. Well, I like that the air is really dry, but I freeze quickly, and even after my 50 minute run I still wasn't warm.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    @martaindale hey Sarah! Thank you! 😊
    I think there's some truth to what you've noticed there... I really struggle with doing 'fast' over short distances eg 5K runs, but find it easier to hold a sub-9 pace over a fair chunk of miles.
    Really achy at the moment. Lying in bed watching the World cup ⚽.

Glad to see you out and about again! And hope you make a full recovery soon! 😊
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,916 Member
    Options
    12/1 15.44 miles Crazy Laps!
    12/2 15.4 miles
    12/3 15.44 miles, Running Partner A
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Wow, what happened here?!?

02.11 Fri 1°C 6.0km 49min 8:13/km
    03.11 Sat -1°C 11.0km 93min 8:27/km

total: 17.00/80.5km (9.2km ahead)
    stretch goal: 113.15km for a stupid Garmin badge to run 300km in 3 months

For some reason I managed to run 11km, longest distance since ages, and the whole time my HR remained really low and relaxed. Well, one hour after the run and I'm still freezing cold.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,733 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Dec 2 – 3.73 miles
    Dec 3 – 6.78 miles

I’m so far behind on posting and commenting but finally got caught up on the November thread and this one. Great running everyone! I ran with some friends in the rain this morning. Luckily, it wasn’t too cold at 52F. Ran some errands and then put my mom’s outside Christmas decorations up. Local Christmas parade tonight.

Thanks for setting up December @martaindale. Glad your PT visit went well and you can continue to train (conservatively) for Dopey.

Welcome @Laurz9191!

Enjoy your trip @shanaber! It looks beautiful but so cold!

@Tramboman! We’ve missed you!! Hope you are doing well.

Hope you don’t get sick @quilteryoyo.

Ouch @Fit2btied2016. Hope you feel less sore today although I know that is usually not how injuries work.

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,021 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was worried this morning when I wasn't feeling the best, but I feel much better tonight.

Glad you were able to run today without hurting your Achilles @martaindale ! Sounds like you have a great plan leading up to the Dopey! We're pulling for you.

Great running @Scott6255 ! I hope the weather forecast improves for your race.

@AlphaHowls Are you going for a 15 mile running streak now? You are awesome.

Congrats on your long run @yirara !

Great running @Teresa502 and @Laurz9191 !

I didn't have a lot of time today, so did a short session on the treadmill. I walked one mile total for warm up and cool down and ran one mile. I ran/walked at 5.0/3.8 for 3/2 minutes. Got the mile done in 12:59 minutes. Avg HR was 117. Max was 137 bpm.

6.0 /70 mile goal

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,021 Member
    Options
    @shanaber When did you break your elbow? Weird that we both did that. Who would have thought? Funny that Hobbes didn't like the frozen grass, but then, he isn't used to it. I'm glad you enjoyed the game. Probably a good call to leave early and watch the end at the hotel. Also sorry your team lost. I take it, from your comments, that you are staying longer than planned, not leaving early? Enjoy the snow. Looking forward to seeing some pictures from your snowy walk.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,857 Member
    Options
    Goal of 100 miles and to hit 1500 for the year:
    1-Dec 6.28 1430.12
    2-Dec 6.35 1436.47
    3-Dec 5.51 1441.98

easier to cut and paste from my excel sheet. 😁
    @quilteryoyo glad you are not coming down with anything I think you will feel safe after 3 days which is what I think it takes mostly for symptoms to start up.
    @shanaber WISE move not to try to travel in a winter storm. We had an ice storm in central tx one year along with a huge conference from work where everyone was flying and driving in. I ended up going in to work on my BUTT in the parking lot so I did not fall. All the roads were closed and I35 was a parking lot. Our one customer from Dallas/FW spent 2 days trying to get home afterwards. He would have been smarter to just stay put until it melted. And of course the power kept going off and on due to the ice on the trees (esp those poor live oaks with their leaves still) and limbs breaking power lines. etc.
    @tarun_yadavA is taking a day off I bet! But he should be back up to snuff for a run tomorrow LOL. 20 miles is 3 days of running for him.
    @scott6255 you know our weather forecast will change about every hour anyway so hard to plan right now. It was supposed to be a warm sunny day yesterday but a surprise cold front came thru WHILE I was out running and dropped the temps from the 60's.
    @Fit2btied2016 - falling on the ice is the worst. Hope you are ok and all is just bruising. Ice is the only thing I will not try to go out on. I mean it's like you are walking just fine very carefully and BOOM you are on your butt. no warning.
    @AlphaHowls upping your game again. I mean you are ALREADY doing it so why not? LOL. We will definitely get across the atlantic soon and home again to finish our run the world challenge. I am posting my runs every few days to help!
    @martaindale so glad you have a PLAN for your race and the only thing I can add is that NO INJURY is worth trying to run thru because recovery seems to take longer and longer ....Your walk/run plan sounds good. I am the same way and if I take too short segments I cannot get any sort of rhythm going. That's why when I did C25K in 2017 I was amazed that I did not just run the whole time.

I have had some decent runs to start the year. On a streak of about 47 days now of running and decided to sign up for the run the year for next year also as it did motivate me in 2021. I am not going to push to get all the miles running tho as that was too much for me. RUnning and tennis seem to be good together right now and using the one handed backhand is awkward after over 50 yrs of doing it differently but my back is grateful and it's nice not to be crippled for hours after playing. 🙃 i have also been on a small cut for a few weeks as I want to revisit my TDEE from 2018 to see how accurate it is and to drift down to the lower end of my weight range again. 6 weeks to get a valid TDEE and I am on week 3 but surprisingly even with eating a few hundred lower cals my energy does not appear to be suffering. My resting HR is good and the night sweats are less (that could be because it's not 80 degrees out and my house is cooler too tho). The only thing I don't really like is weighing daily because it always screws with my head. But the TDEE tracker really requires it so I think I can do that for 6 weeks. Last time it gave me a TDEE of 1850 but I think I will be closer to 2050 this time. Now off to run..... long post. sorry.

Here is the link in case any of you are interested.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7gGXXQIy4R4ejRRNkZHZHFDOW8/view
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Welcome back @Mari33a! Yeah, there is no shortage of chat around here 😏 Glad your son is almost recovered!
  • martaindale
    Options
    @Scott6255 Fingers crossed that the weather shifts yet again to something slightly better. I always start weather stalking and then it changes multiple times but I do it anyway. It’s just part of the ritual at this point!

@Mari33a Welcome back!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    @shanaber When did you break your elbow? Weird that we both did that. Who would have thought? Funny that Hobbes didn't like the frozen grass, but then, he isn't used to it. I'm glad you enjoyed the game. Probably a good call to leave early and watch the end at the hotel. Also sorry your team lost. I take it, from your comments, that you are staying longer than planned, not leaving early? Enjoy the snow. Looking forward to seeing some pictures from your snowy walk.

@quilteryoyo - I actually broke it before I started running. I was walking and tripped on the sidewalk (this has happened so many times I now avoid the sidewalks). I fell backward (?) and put my hands down behind me. Like you my arm hurt but I didn't realize it was broken. It hurt but I continued my walk and by the time I got home I could no longer bend my arm. The trip to ER confirmed it was broken. I had also just started working with the trainer so he started me on a program for stability, jumping on and off curbs, how to land, etc.. I still trip but I don't fall as often as I might.
    Yes we are staying a day longer and also changing the drive to possibly 3 shorter driving days depending on road conditions. It is nice that we have the option to do that with no absolute reason to get home fast.
    @SummerSkier - The TX ice storms are legendary! We were in Dallas one year for a conference in early December when an ice storm hit. We watched cars sliding around on the freeway from upper floors of the hotel (Anatole). Fortunately we didn't need to go out in it and it was gone by the time we were leaving.
    What TDEE tracker do you use?
    @marisap2010 - Welcome back! I am so happy to hear that your son is doing ok and healing after the accident!

A pre- walk snow picture. I have a short video too, wish MFP would allow them.
    izbdxlifcu46.jpeg
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,857 Member
    Options
    For the tdee tracker link you do have to download it and then open it in excel.