January 2023 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Laurz9191
    Laurz9191 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I made a mistake in my last post ;). My half marathon is at the end of March, not May (so I have 2.5 months).
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @Laurz9191 I generally use (or base my plans on) the Hal Higdon plans... he has many different versions for different levels. There's also a free app of his that you plug your race date and goal time into, tell it the days of the week you want to run and it does the planning. The problem a few of us found with that is it's pretty judgy and will scold you if you do too much, or not enough, or have to juggle days and workouts around.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,104 Member
    Options
    The most important race I have planned this year is a half marathon in Hanover at the end of May. I don't yet have a training plan that I am using. Do any of you have any recommendations for me? My goal is to be faster than the first (and only time) I ran it, all the way back in 2011! Kids and illness kept me from trying again after that. I think my time was around 1:57:00. Ideally I would like to aim for under 1:50:00 and see how close to that goal I can get. I am grateful for any help and suggestions!

@Laurz9191 good luck with the Half in March!
    I kind of 'wing it' (as you can tell from the conversations about fueling!),so I'm probably not the best person to give out advice.

I ran >= 13.1 four times in 2022:
    April - did it in 2hr02".
    July - did it in1hr56".
    Dec (20Miler) - did it in 1hr53".

[So incrementally quicker]

(I did a second in Dec, NYE - just for the heck of it - did it in 1hr57").

So I would say it's totally doable to shave off 7mins.

I run frequently. I would say I run 13/14 days consecutively. (Excluding travelling abroad on vacation etc etc). If I know I have a long run at pace, I'll plan it around that rest day.

Again - I just wing it. So probably might not work for you! (All those four were literally on empty stomachs, save for the pint of water and sugary chai).

Best person to ask is Jen @AlphaHowls .... She runs Half Marathons DAILY πŸ™Œ

PS: are you on Strava? If so- I'm https://www.strava.com/athletes/53345216

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,975 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are getting out and doing what you can @Fit2btied2016 ! Cold, snow/rain mix has to be the worst. Your pups sound like fun and I do think that animals sense weather changes. Sorry about the farmer losing some of his stock. Is it dogs or wild animals?

@shanaber Great start to the new year! You have been pretty consistent lately with your running/walking, so I am sure you can continue with that. Strength training is something that I really need to start, but don't know how I would fit it into my schedule. We shall see. It is NOT one of my stated goals for the year though.

@tarun_yadavA I hope you aren't getting sick again. Maybe it's just your body adjusting to your hard reset? You did great today for not feeling it and being stiff.

@Laurz9191 Great running and I agree that running on the treadmill is safer than in the forest when it's windy. Just too many limbs/trees can fall unexpectedly. It is time to start a plan, for sure. The only one I have used was by Matt Fitzgerald in his book 80/20 running. I liked it, but wasn't able to follow it well due to time constraints. I did run the HM, virtually, which made it difficult. If not for @Teresa502 joining me at the end to push me on, I'm not sure I would have finished. So, I'm not really a good judge of whether that is a good plan or not. :lol: What did you use to get ready for it in 2011? Maybe repeat that? Which fitness watch do you have?

Well I NEVER play the lottery, but after that hat trick Monday, and after many suggestions, I caved and played the numbers 8 36 23 20 1 and 2.
    Not a single number matched. πŸ˜’
    Hahahaha At least it was worth a try.

• spl8
    spl8 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
    I planned to run yesterday, but the weather was yucky and I'm not yet motivated enough to run in yucky weather. I did some yoga. Any other yoga people here? (I'm trying to do the Yoga with Adriene 30 Day Yoga Journey (YouTube) right now.)
    It's supposed to rain again later today, so I went for a half hour jog after dropping my kid off at school this morning. I'm so impressed by the early morning runners who have been sharing their morning routines here.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @Scott6255 - sorry the lotto ticket wasn't a success but you had to try!
    @tarun_yadavA - you might consider trying the grapes or whatever before a shorter, maybe intermediate, distance run in case it causes stomach issues. Something that would still stress your body a bit to see if it handled it ok but not a super long run that you would have abandon if it didn't.
    @Laurz9191 - While I don't run that distance any longer I have run many HMs and used the Hal Higden plans for pretty much all of them but the first. Like @eleanorhawkins said he has many different distances and some focused on improving speed, just finishing, etc... I did not use the app though, I took the plan and created my own calendar fitting it around my schedule and running days. Because of work and work travel I just couldn't keep it to the specifics the app required and had to move days around. I did manage to do most every run though as it called for just not on the days and sometimes not in the same order. It is important to remember whatever plan you use you can adjust it to you and what works for you.
    @spl8 - there are many here who do yoga and also the Yoga with Adriene. I love it but don't go it enough. Hmm maybe I need to add it onto my yearly goal!
    @polskagirl01 - Please do check in with us! It maybe a slow recovery but you'll get back to it!
    @quilteryoyo - I hope the Holter monitor gives you some indication of what is going on. When I have had them in the past I was never told not to get it sweaty. They encouraged me to do whatever my normal day was, running, working out, etc.

To all the newbies - we have a private group on Facebook (MFP Monthly Running Challenge) that isn't super active but many of us are on Strava. There is also a MFP group with the same name on Strava if you want to follow any of us there.