January 2023 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    spl8 wrote: Β»
    I didn't have much time so I did a run on the neighborhood streets yesterday, which I find so much less satisfying than doing trails. On the other hand, I dislike having to drive somewhere to run.

This is my eternal conflict. I end up in my neighborhood most of the time just because it's a more efficient use of my time.

@eleanorhawkins Wow those races have some serious elevation!!

I have the same problem. I absolutely hate driving and don't often have a car to drive anyway (my husband takes it to work), hence not getting into the mountains anywhere near as often as I should. I 'can' run up there from home, but it means at least 22km plus whatever I do once I'm up there.

@martaindale yes, now we've decided against doing the series and I'm over the initial disappointment I'm quite relieved, especially about the first one (very technical) and the last one (very steep).

I have, however, accidentally signed up for a 24km with 1175m on 12 Feb. And a flat 5k on 11 March. Oops!
    I'm probably going to regret the closest one as I'm not really trained for it and have no idea what the route is like, but the cutoff time is super generous (like 5 hours!) and people who have run it before tell me it isn't too tough. We shall see.

@spl8 when the pandemic hit, @polskagirl01 and I were both due to run HMs literally days later. Here in Spain we were put into a strict lockdown, Poland was a little less dramatic. We wanted to run our races, even though obviously they'd been cancelled, so we synchronised our watches and I ran mine on my treadmill and she ran hers in the countryside with her son on his bike :-) There was a virtual race company that made an 'I ran it anyway' medal which we both got to remember it.

@laurz9191 from your description I would say there were lots of reasons why the first HM distance felt so bad. Well done on the latest one! Always nice when a long run feels good :-)

@noblsheep hugs! Stupid virus :(

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,908 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 I managed to get the mileage to complete the RTY in 2021 but it really was too much just running and soured me to the point where my mileage in 2022 was a lot lower. This year I am combining walking and running to get to the 2023 mark which is more reasonable for us normal humans. I like that Run The Year ap sums things up for you and gives you targets. Also the teams are fun.

Glad you enjoyed 6th street. TO be honest I haven't been down there in probably 20 plus years - mostly because I don't drink and the crowd is pretty young.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,448 Member
    Options
    @martaindale yeah I'm sure that was tough getting back to running, but take it easy and it will come back to you (like riding a bike) πŸ˜‰

@SummerSkier it was the 1st time I've been to 6th st. and probably the last. It WAS a much younger crowd, but I was with a much younger crowd (my kids). But they seemed to enjoy it πŸ™‚
    I did over 2300 miles last year combined running and walking, so wanted to see if I could do 2023 just running, but I'm just not built for that I guess.

Just did 8 treadmill miles to get in some work.

exercise.png
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,025 Member
    Options
    January Goal: 100 Miles

1/1: 10.50 miles
    1/3: 6.01 miles
    1/4: 5.11 miles
    1/5: 5.60 miles
    1/8: 11.03 miles
    1/10: 6.02 miles
    1/11: 6.26 miles
    1/13: 5.26 miles
    1/15: 10.6 miles
    1/17: 5.51 miles

71.56/100 miles completed for January

I ran 5.5 miles today. The weather was just about perfect. It was an uneventful run, but nice. I now have 515 miles on my shoes. Luckily for me I ordered new shoes and they came in today.

Good to see you back @noblsheep. Hope you will be feeling better soon.

exercise.png

• tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Morning all! ☺️
    Got in a 12K ... Midweek speedwork!
    ydhd3s2beold.png

@martaindale - hahaha, thanks Sarah 😊
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Jan 1 – 7.02 miles
    Jan 2 – 3
    Jan 3 – 5.1
    Jan 5 – 3.02
    Jan 7 – 8.01
    Jan 9 – 5.48
    Jan 10 – 4.21
    Jan 12 – 5.16
    Jan 15 – 5.03
    Jan 17 – 3.10 (treadmill)
    Jan 18 – 5.16

I met two friends for a run before work this morning. It was 46F at 5:00 am – great running weather!

@spl8 – I’m sorry you didn’t get to run the NYC Half Marathon but good for you for doing your own race. I ran a half in NYC in April one year. It was two loops in Central Park and I loved it! I was supposed to run the Marine Corp Marathon in 2020. Since it was also cancelled, like you, some friends and I did it virtually. It was a different experience than what we had planned but thanks to the support of other friends and a retired Marine Corp officer, it was a special experience nonetheless.

@SummerSkier – Sorry the pony did not work out but I’m glad you recognize it is not a good fit for you rather than taking a chance and getting hurt.

@eleanorhawkins – Accidentally signed up for a race? Too funny!

@shanaber – Beautiful pictures of your scenery. Thanks for sharing. I had a friend who had bunion surgery in 2020 and she was able to train for and run our virtual marathon in the fall. The procedure that she had was relatively new instead of the traditional surgery.

@Tarun_yadavA - Black and blue toenails (and missing ones) – that’s how you know you’re a runner! But, maybe you need different fitting shoes??

• spl8
    spl8 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

I. am. so. slow. I hope that as I regain conditioning I get a little faster.

@eleanorhawkins and @Teresa502 : Sounds like you found great ways to do your canceled races. I was still reeling from the shutdown of everything, so it just felt a little strange and sad.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,448 Member
    Options
    @spl8 yes speed will come naturally as you get fitter and get more miles in.

@kgirlhart glad you had a fantastic run!

Just a short easy 4 mile run after strength training today.

exercise.png
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,112 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 Glad you enjoyed your trip to Austin! Yeah. 2023 miles of running is a lot!

@spl8 Glad you had friends who ran the HM with you. I hope the bradycardia doesn't cause you any issues. The pace will come with time and the more you run. Having said that, I'm still as slow as a turtle in molasses, but I'm okay with that.

Glad you are feeling better @noblsheep . I hope you are able to start in on the C25K.

Great running @Laurz9191 ! I think you will be happy with the hydration pack.

@martaindale I'm glad you had a nice camping weekend with the family. I hope you find a HM you can run before it gets too hot. Great recovery run today! Glad nothing felt too bad.

@eleanorhawkins Accidently signing up for two races. I hate it when that happens. :lol:

@shanaber Love the pictures from your run. Sorry about the surgery, but glad it didn't come as a complete surprise. I just hope that, once you have it, you recover quickly and you don't have any other issues with it.

Nice speedwork @tarun_yadavA ! You almost made your goal pace.

Nice run @Teresa502 . Did your dad get to go home from the hospital?

Glad you had such a great, speedy run @kgirlhart ! Congrats on 100 miles this year already!

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,112 Member
    Options
    Thanks @tarun_yadavA . The muscles are feeling better this morning. Great sleasy run for you this morning. I hope the ice melts before your long run this weekend. How far are you planning to go?

@Laurz9191 Sounds like you had a great workout yesterday. Great job on getting in a run this morning with those sore muscles. Enjoy your rest day tomorrow.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    spl8 wrote: Β»
    I didn't have much time so I did a run on the neighborhood streets yesterday, which I find so much less satisfying than doing trails. On the other hand, I dislike having to drive somewhere to run.

This is my eternal conflict. I end up in my neighborhood most of the time just because it's a more efficient use of my time.

I don't mind running around my neighborhood, especially right now as it is still dark at 5pm, but I am lucky in that a short distance away is access to our river valley trail system. I can walk in about 5 minutes to my usual starting point and depending on which way I run, be in the trails in about 5-6 minutes more. There is about 160 km of trails, just have to make my way back :)

@quilteryoyo thank you for your kind word, I'm starting to feel stronger after now completing my 20 minute run. Not as fast as I used to be, but that will come, especially when I can take the ice grips off my shoes

@noblsheep thanks for sharing the video, haven't had a chance to watch, but added to my YT watch list.

Yesterday was a 20 minute run with my long run on Saturday. I'm aiming for 5k, including my cool down.

exercise.png