Replies

• tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 aww thank you ☺️
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    @tarun_yadavA I am also on meds for high BP, minimal dose. I don't think I need it anymore (long story but basically I didn't deal with the pandemic thing all that well and when we were put in quarantine after my MIL caught the Vid I kind of went into a meltdown and my BP went nuts) but my GP wants me to stay on them forever to be safe. Meh. Having said that, my issues are so mild I often forget about them completely!
    Having said that, are you monitored at all? Hate to be the one to say it, but a marathon is a big thing and we know you're not going to walk it. I would say get a doctor's approval first just to be on the safe side.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

@eleanorhawkins that down hill looks like an ANKLE breaker for sure. I don't blame you or anyone else for hating it. It looks to need poles to safely manage it with those big rocks. And love the ORANGE jacket (nice butt btw) πŸ˜‡πŸ€£πŸ˜‡

So after a year of not riding after my horse of dreams Bandit passed away in Dec 2021 who I had for almost 27 years I was offered to ride a pony out at my former trainer's barn as his owner had just joined the airforce at18 yo and he needed a ride. In my experience sadly that happens to a lot of girls - their parents get them nice horses during high school and then when they are off to college the poor horse is left. It was a pretty nice but windy day and the horse is quite a looker and rides more like the stride of a horse than a pony. But the emotional part was not that I was riding (I have been out to the barns a few times to visit) but that I was definitely not a good enough rider for this pony. So today I will go out and let them know we are not a fit. My trainer watched some of my ride Sat so I don't think this will be a surprise to her but you know sometimes pros have agendas. Anyway, it was nice to go hacking around the property and he would be a very good trail horse but sadly he has zero brakes and felt like a freight train with no training to seat or hand. We trotted some but I was afraid to canter which since i have been riding over 60 years says something. I would like to see the trainer ride him but for some reason I have doubts she would. πŸ€ͺπŸ˜‚ ANnway for me it was rough because it would have been a nice diversion to ride a few times a week and I hate to disappoint the owner's mom who desperately wants him ridden I think.

@SummerSkier yeah, if I'd known we were going down there I would have taken my poles. There's a perfectly nice, wide dirt track you can drive a car down that loops down literally 100 metres to the right, but they obviously thought that would have been boring! Funnily enough, I've spent months training myself not to sit down and dig my heels in while running down steep trails and it had worked so well I'd completely forgotten that's pretty much the only thing to do on that footing. A guy passed me and muttered "dig your heels in" and after that, it wasn't so bad.
    Sorry the pony wasn't the one for you, but I am a firm believer in things happening for a reason... maybe it was sent to make you consider the possibility in preparation for another one due to come along in the future :-) Shame to disappoint the owner's mother but better all round for them to find someone prepared to handle a difficult ride. And that's a LONG time to have been riding! I rode as a child and worked with carriage horses in my late teens.

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,112 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I'm glad you fared well through the storms. That is a lot of water in the river. Those dog photos are great! :smiley: Glad you didn't get poured on all the way home. I love that you redid your spreadsheet. I probably should keep up with more info, but mine is just distance and time - I do have walking, running, and other exercise separate.
  • Laurz9191
    Laurz9191 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    @shanaber The dog pictures look like all the pictures of my kids - there is always at least one looking in a different direction ;). I love it! I’m glad that the rain seems to have stopped for now!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    @marisap2010 Congrats on your AG placement! That's awesome!

@teresa502 Glad to hear your dad's surgery went well.
    . After running I spent the afternoon at a bouldering club with some friends all afternoon. It was fun doing something different, but I don't feel that comfortable rock climbing with no rope, so some of the routes I was too afraid to really try to do.

Bouldering is hard mentally for me too. I really prefer sport but try to force myself to boulder some from time to time. It's just a different type of climbing that does wonders for me in the strength building department. But, as I age, I am more in touch with the risk of injury and that makes it hard to throw for things knowing I might fall weird.

@eleanorhawkins Well done!! You crushed it!

@tarun_yadavA I knew you would sign up for a marathon! πŸ˜† The others are right. You could probably run it next week if you had to. Make sure you try out some gels over the next few weeks to figure out a fueling strategy. As they say, nothing new on race day.