WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2023

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 4,214 Member
    Lisa in AR---YAY for the new oven!
    Kylia in OH---Congrats on the cleanup and donations! You go girl! Your burger mix sounds yummy!
    Debbie in Napa Valley---MEN! They are always right no matter what is said! (NOT) lol. I know what you mean! I miss eating at the Chinese buffet in town. Turns out I’m sensitive to all the oils and sauces they use (peanut oil, soy oil, soy sauce, ginger, all affect my system!)
    Lanette---Thanks for the link! I downloaded it and will go through it!
    Michele in NC---I hope your hip/leg sciatica goes away soon!
    Annie in Delaware—I’ve started my hand weights too. I’m doing 20 reps with 2 lb weights. Keep it up!
    Allie---Sounds like a fun but exhausting day!
    Barbie in NW WA—I miss woodstoves, I loved the type of heat they give out, just not the lugging of wood and the mess from the wood and ashes!
    SueBdew in TX----Good luck with the discounts. The squeaky wheel gets the grease! As my DH says.
    Machka in OZ---I’m loving your dry riverbed and garden! That’s one thing I miss living in a State Park, gardening. That’s why I have tubs for my plants. Closest I can get to a real garden.
    Heather in UK, I like coloring but never had any talent for drawing using any media! I try now and then but get frustrated. I did get a calligraphy set at one time and had fun with that. Maybe I should get another set and start that again! Thanks for the encouragement to try new things. Good for my brain! Lol
    KJ---Sounds like a fun visit!

RVRita in Sunny NM
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 678 Member
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,477 Member
    Decided to do the Mix It Up DVD and then since it was raining did part of a Flat Belly yoga DVD. I’d bought that one at the Salvation Army and the yoga disc was in another sleeve. But that’s OK, I can take this DVD and leave it down at the condo

Debbie - <drool> <drool>

Suebdew – Our pool came from San Juan pools of Charlotte. Actually, the pool itself was manufactured in FL and then trucked up here. Watching it being installed was something else! When they installed the spa, I swear it looked like a UFO We’re going to get the handrails from Saftron. They are located in Bradenton, FL. They don’t sell directly, but they do have a listing on their website of places that sell it. We had trouble finding it in taupe that we wanted, they finally emailed us with the name of another place (that we think may be part of them) where we can get them at a decent price.

KJ – nice loss. Hope you get your walk in. I hope to get mine in, too

Carla – you’re right, I just assumed you never had haggis because it’s banned in the US. Oops!

Happy Birthday yogi!!

Vince and I went to WalMart to return the hose reel. He decided to look see if they had any in the store and noticed that the Xmas things were 75% off. He got a 7-1/2’ tree for $30! I got some ornaments, there’s no way on this green earth I would have paid over $2 for them, but for 61 cents, that’s a price I can live with!

Did a load of laundry last night and dried it this morning, then did another load later in the morning. Need to go make up the bed then I think I’ll take my walk. It doesn’t look like it’s raining any more.

Beth – I’m sure your hubby “allows” people to install appliances WITH SUPERVISION. I just don’t know how I would like the vinegar in that recipe. I one time had a Greek soup that called for a bit of vinegar and I didn’t really like it

Got my walk in

Lisa – I have a proof on my oven and I’ve never used it! I have tried the convection but still not totally comfortable with it

Michele NC
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,822 Member
    Pg 25. Knackered so will catch up tomorrow
    Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,164 Member
    I am glad a few of you have mentioned laundry. It was a reminder I NEEDED. I had started laundry then the power went off. Got the machines going again, finished those loads and have new ones in. One more load(small one with pee pads) that I might wait for tomorrow. Only two pads so not really enough to do a load. May wash some of the other ones that could use a wash because dh feeds some of the cats on them so they get a little messy. I will be happy when we don't need them anymore but glad we have them
  • dlfk202000
    edited January 2023
    auntiebk wrote: »
    5 Move for at least 30 minutes today-whoops didn’t but did the day before and the day after

Way far behind but had a few minutes to scan a few pages ;)
    Thanfully power stayed on despite “bomb cyclone.” At least two more storms are lined up off shore so we’ll stay hunkered down.

Pip hallelujah for the good followup report.
    Beth sorry I goofed. No pressure. ;)
    Debbie yup, us too, only the stove is propane, everything else is elecltric. Could cook on the stove top as the controls are mechanical, I’d just have to light burners with a match. Could NOT use the oven as the controls are electronic. Insert diatribe against planned obsolescence, ridiculously expensive to replace electronic control boards and disposable appliances.
    Lisa Amazing news about Bella!
    Jane in OH, well done! It would have to be a very small decluttering task for me to do it at all ;)
    Kylia “feeling better about things done” now that is an NSV!
    Katla your devotion to your DH is inspiring.
    Michele you can really use the convection setting on oven to make fries? Do they come out crispy?
    Tracey not to wish anyone ill, I am glad to hear your supervisor has been on leave… :devil: Interesting about the ceramics use for pillow cases… will ask at the art center if they have a kiln, or maybe the community college. ((hugs)) for your chat with your mom on your dad’s 10th heavenly birthday. ((hugs)) held extra long. What a gorgeous hope chest and bowl. Skill and love what a great combination.

Whoops, didn’t get very far, but dinner is calling.
    Done:
    01/04: Move: active mins:312 steps:7852
    Fuel: plants running count for week so far=29: almonds, apple, basil, beans-green, beans-kidney, bell pepper-orange, carrots, cashews, chili peppers-red, cinnamon, coconut milk powder, cucumber, garlic, ginger, jicama, mandarins, onions, peanut butter, pecans, potatoes, radish, rice-brown, romaine, snap peas, tea, tomato concentrate, walnuts, wheat-pasta. CI<CO=692
    Live: readings, BP laundry mountain, changed linens, spot vacuuming with Maizey, Wt:136.9
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer.

Sadly, even our stove is electric so no using that either.
    Dh needs to change out one of the control boards on it. The display on the front is very hard to see, especially when the kitchen is sunny. It started where it was just the temp that I couldn't see and then today, I noticed when I was trying to reset the clock that I could barely see it and it wasn't sunny in their. I think it will have to go out completely before he fixes it.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,087 Member
    Stat for the day-

Housecleaning etc, vacuum, dusting, laundry fold and put away etc= 757c
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,087 Member
    Tomorrow is supposed to be a bad rainy day here. Will going on our walk tho. Kirby set up my bike on a trainer so I won’t be using his spin bike anymore
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,148 Member
    👩‍💻🌻🌞😃👣
  • dlfk202000
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Tomorrow is supposed to be a bad rainy day here. Will going on our walk tho. Kirby set up my bike on a trainer so I won’t be using his spin bike anymore

thankfully, at least for up here, the storm isn't supposed to be as huge as they had originally predicted. Only supposed to get an inch of rain instead of 2 1/2 inches. More rain after that but not huge storms- Some flooding along the Russian River but only in the usual spots and not as bad as in the past years
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,697 Member
    :)
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,917 Member
    I read through yesterday but didn’t make time to comment. I noticed my tennis elbow was starting to ache a bit and one thing I’ve found is that my time on my phone affects it. So I limited it.

Machka - I’m so impressed with your dry stream.

Heather - I agree with you. I can’t draw at all, I am able to paint though. I don’t know why that is.
    What a tremendous about of stress for your son and his family. Hopefully it all settles soon.

Kylia - my doctor and pharmacist told me to always sit for 5 minutes before taking my blood pressure and to take 3 readings and choose the lowest of those numbers. She said just getting the BP monitor set up would cause a higher reading.

I’m with you I was young with my girls and Lauryn was young when she had hers. I do what I can though.
    My Grandmother was fortunate to know her great grandchildren.

Kelly - I’ve always said that school ruins children. I firmly believe that there has got to be a better way. A way that they can still be themselves and taught the necessities.
    Are they still thinking of moving closer to you?

Sue - I fortunately don’t need to iron any shirts, but every weekend I’m doing laundry and tidying up too. It is not a huge task for me since we moved here. It’s a tiny place so I tend to keep it organized. I really fail at scrubbing though.

Annie - thanks for the reminder about Leslie Sansone. I used to do her videos in the winter for exercise. I need to start at the 1 mile again now. Maybe that will be a plan for tomorrow night. I’ve already had my bath tonight.

Allie - that’s a great little car!
    Everything you do for Tracy and Kyle and he won’t help. He seems to be a very selfish man.

Katla - I understand homesickness. I’m sorry you are feeling it.

We would have nothing if our power went out. Heat, water, a way to cook. I think we would have to leave the house if it was Winter and off for more than 2-3 hours.

I had a decent weekend. I had an unexpected invitation to go to ceramics yesterday afternoon. Today I exchanged the second thermostat I had purchased. I am still waiting for Rodger to install it. He probably will tomorrow, he’s working tonight. I did laundry and started a project for myself.
    I’ll post a picture when I have it done.

I need to get off and head to bed. Good night.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,995 Member
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Tracey—Thanks for the kind words. ❤️
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,701 Member
    Tracey- I knew about sitting quietly for five minutes. Didn't know 3 readings. It was 114/73 this morning, but 133/73 last night. Bottom number stays close. Top is all over the place. All if the numbers have been higher the past few years. My normal prior to that was always like 98/65. They usually took it twice because it was so low. Didn't drink water well yesterday.

Kylia up way to early in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,470 Member
    edited January 2023
    I found drawing with pencils much harder than painting!!

Love Heather UK xxxxxx

I have and am planning to try watercolour pencils one day soon.

kymarai wrote: »
    So BP taking is going okay. For the most part it has been in the 120s over the low 70s. Forgot to take it last night before shutting down to sleep. All of a sudden my DH wakes up and says he forgot to have me game check his deer. So up I am, walked to and from the Man Cave to get his tag (about 100 feet), do the check in, and remember BP. Batteries died in machine-rrrr! Walked to and from kitchen (about 80 ft), install new batteries, take BP. It was 148/82. High. I sat for 5 minutes quietly and retook it. 120/73. DH said I still needed to write down the other number as he thinks it was too high for the little walking I did. This morning it was 115/70. Hopefully, I am just that out of shape and nothing major. Will work on that exercise today.

My doctor tells me that my usual 148/82 is all right. It's when I sit up at 167/100 for a while that she's a little bit concerned. Still, my BP isn't high enough to do anything about it ... like medication.

In the "old days" (up till I was 51, pre husband's accident) my BP was about 110/60.

Machka That is beautiful! I know you said it was a dry bed, but will it fill with water when it rains? That way you would have an actual "river".

Kylia

It won't like "fill" with water unless we have a major rain storm because it is fairly deep, but water may trickle down it to the pool I have yet to create at the bottom.

KJLaMore wrote: »
    I grocery shopped online for the first time this week! I placed orders at the two stores I visit, and my son picked everything up and put it away. A huge time saver and gives me a full day at home with no errand running. I ended up spending less than I normally do. I have noticed that lately I have been impulse buying new foods to try with my DH and DYS. SO...I think I am going to try the online shopping instead of my usual in store shopping. If it looks like I am saving money doing it this way, I will continue. Maybe I can take a walk/hike in place of the grocery shop.
    I weighed in this morning. I am down five pounds since last week. I will take that.
    I am working on making out my "50 things to do before I die" list. Some of the things I have written down are easy/cheap/free to do. I just need to do them.

Well, I think I have everyone caught up on my life so far.
    ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Yay!! Well done on the grocery shopping. I'm sitting at home in my chair watching TV after a full day at work, and am about to my grocery shopping. :)

Well done on the weight loss. :)

And well done on the "50 things to do before I die" list. I still need to review mine.

I LOVE that your favorite teacher was your father Machka! Was he actually a teacher? One of my best friends, in middle school, had a father who taught there. THAT was interesting.

Yes my father was an instructor for many years and he taught me during my first degree.

Regarding professional housecleaning ... I have trouble justifying $150 for vacuuming.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,470 Member
    edited January 2023
    @ginnytez and others hi! I can try checking in from time to time. if you d like me to read a personal message If you write @bananasandoranges I'll get it. I'm absolutely unable to skim all this abundant list for all group and personal mails. if you don't want to no problem. I totally get it we re each in our own internet groove... I think I've written before that I had previously been in groups with 5 to 12 members and read all.but with the dozens of wonderful contributors here I'm unable to read all... happy new year to all!!

@bananasandoranges ... how's the degree going?

I try to do laundry, change sheets, and water plants on either Wed or Thurs. This does free up my weekends as we are usually at a car show or the farm or out of town. I will figure out when to do the real cleaning most likely during the week too. My washer has a timer on it, so I sort and put a load in before work. It starts and finishes just before we get home. The last load usually goes in the washer before bed and I will then dry in the morning. Usually only 3-4 loads depending on weather. 2 warm washes and a cold wash usually. Wearing jeans more than once helps keep it less loads. ;)

<3
    Kylia

My laundry day depends on when my laundry basket fills.

My sheet and towel washing days depend on whether I've got sun, warmth and a bit of breeze.

Machka in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,822 Member
    Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri