WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,058 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies!

I took my car to get new outer tie rods, and after it was done they told me it needed an alignment too but they didn't have the equipment to do it. That would have been good to know ahead of time! So my dad helped me take it to Firestone.

I have to struggle with my dad's insurance today. He changed it last May and ended up with double coverage. It still isn't right, and they sent him an email he can't find.

Then tomorrow my mom goes to the gerontologist. She keeps saying she doesn't want to go to the Memory place, so I have to call it the gerontologist. I rather expect some resistance, but maybe not.

I've been trying to remember my favorite teachers. Maybe Mr. Sletvold, physics junior year. He was pretty cool. Or my geometry teacher who introduced us to computer programming. My senior year was a mess; I was an exchange student in France. A great experience, but not good for classroom learning. Then all the college is a blur.

Annie in Delaware
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,878 Member
    Options
    Gratitude list
    1 Sit in silence for three minutes... it's harder than you think—DONE
    2 List 5 things using each of your senses——DONE
    3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house—tossed Christmas card I had collected
    4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever)—This year was jewelry from my ‘adopted’ granddaughter.
    5 Move for at least 30 minutes today—-Done plus #1 again!
    6 Share a goal you achieved last year—-Bringing my car to the car wash one or more times a month!
    7 Slow down and savor one meal today—-Breakfast-savored the texture of my OUI yogurt versus the granola I added.
    8 Who was your favorite teacher—My French teacher in High School. Sister Jeannette
    9 Create something today—-I will work on my crochet - making a granny square afghan out of left over yarn.
    10 What is your favorite lyric from a song
    11 Send a card/note to someone today
    12 What are you looking forward to in 2023?
    13 Tell a random person they look "good" today
    14 Tell us three amazing things that happened recently (you decide what "recently" means...lol)
    15 Call or text someone you haven't talked to in at least a week
    16 What made you smile today
    17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for
    18 What material comforts are you most thankful for? You can make your list as long as you like...
    19 Write a positive review for a company for goods or services you've received recently
    20 Write down five things you like about yourself
    21 Pay it forward in some way
    22 What do you most desire in your life right now?
    23 Go an entire day without complaining
    24 What about you makes you special?
    25 Spend time with a loved one
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy?
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend
    28 What fear have you overcome?
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...
    RVRita
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,878 Member
    Options
    Added Exercise goals to my yearly goals. I have average 7,000 steps a day but changed my goals to:
    Yoga 3 times a week at least 10 minutes
    Weights (arms) twice a week
    Walk 7,000 steps every day.
    Defined and SMART goals will help me stay on track. I know some of you like lists and some don’t.I like them because it reminds me of what I need/want to do. Also, I’m competitive and this helps me compete against myself!

Word of the year: appreciate - today I appreciate electricity.

Foods: I tried snails and oysters but found I was allergic to them. I didn’t really like the texture either. I can’t eat hard shelled fish like clams or scallops. I can eat lobster and crab in limited amounts ls or get sick with them too. The joys of allergies and sensitive digestive systems!

RVRita in Sunny NM
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    Options
    DH is doing lots of drawing. How wonderful! It makes me happy.
    He went on a long walk this afternoon. This is one of his photos he took of the iconic West Pier.
    80r4csrjkclv.jpg
    Marvellous! He may try to paint it. <3

Had a nice phone call with L. She has had the horrible cough that is going around. Beginning to recover.

Delicious dinner. The sprouted beans I do in the IP and freeze them.

Much love to all. Heather xxxxxxxx UK
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,975 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Good Monday!
    Forgot this yesterday...

9 Create something today- I created more peace in my house by cleaning out the closet and drawers in the guest room.

Online Grocery shopping I did it while masks were required at our local Kroger, but since then I have been going. I have found the best produce at Trader Joe's and they don't offer online. I do find that I generally spend less at grocery when I don't take my husband with me! I just wish he would tell alexa to add things to the list. I will get home and he will say, we are out of xyz. Most of the time it will wait until next visit and it is usually something that I don't eat/drink. He has occasionally called me while I am out and say I forgot to tell you we need.....

Busy week ahead....DH hunting today and tomorrow which is why I am up at 330 in the morning. REALLY, it takes the man 3 hours to get ready to leave.....I have a follow up mammo this morning. Massage tonight. Hair color/cut on Wednesday night. I have to be in Columbus on Thursday for a training class all day. Friday is my follow up on BP and heart with my new doctor. Oh, and I have to call neurology back today as they called our house phone on Friday afternoon. And Cologuard is on its way to me. I told the doctor that I was not having a colonoscopy unless we did this first as my last one showed nothing. To me this should always be the first step, not an invasive procedure.

Man, I am tired just typing that!

TTFN,
    Kylia in Ohio where winter wants to return on Friday which is okay as we still have snowblowers to sell!

I find I spend a whole lot less grocery shopping if I am by myself. Dh buys so much stuff that 1)being diabetic and over weight, he should NOT be eating 2)and is more expensive than I think it should be 3) we really dont need it. I admit, shopping at Grocery Outlet, I do buy a few things that we don't truly need but are cheap and I want to try them(if the calorie count is high, they are not going in the cart, no matter how cheap or yummy they look)

DH is the same- no idea WHY it takes him so long to get ready. He sets his alarm to go off 2 hrs before he has to leave to go to his mom's to give her her breakfast. He takes about half hour to use the bathroom then another half hour or longer in the shower. All that should be done in 20 min max. Not like he has really long hair to wash or anything.

He just walked in and informed me that he is taking this week and next week off from work, using two weeks of vacation, then will only be working one day a week. Says he will not let the boss have that much control over his schedule. He was, I hope you understand but that is what I am doing. I tried to say something and he got pissy and walked off, mumbling about he is the one that has to deal with it, no one understands besides him..... Now I get to deal with two full weeks with him here.
    A few years ago when I was so burnt out on doing the daycare (55hrs a week for five years with the triplets, starting when they were 3 months old), I wanted to quit or at least just take a long break. He told me we needed the tax writeoff. If I quit, he would have to go get a second job to make up for it(yep, another guilt trip). I was mad because I felt all I was was a tax write off. He did finally tell me how much it was and I agree, it is better for us if I keep the daycare going part time for it. Now, he tells me he is either working one day a week or quitting completely and I have to understand.

I may go walk a little at the wetlands today- depends on the rain. DH was supposed to go have lunch with a friend but canceled because of the rain. I need some peace.

I have two phone calls to make- reschedule my dentist appointment that I had to cancel beings it was the day before my surgery and then call and discontinue water delivery service. The price has gone up so much and we aren't using that much so not worth it to me. The guys don't see anything wrong with it but I can't see paying over $30 to have one jug of water delivered every month. Son can pick up water and bring it home or they can use the filtered water like I do

Ok, enough venting- need to get these calls made

Debbie
    Napa Valley, Ca

calls made- 2 hr dentist appointment next Wed for two crowns, one filling and one build up to repair the other tooth I broke when I fell. The one crown is for the other broken tooth and the other(both front teeth) is replacing the crown there because there is a cavity under it. Not sure why they cant take it off and put it back on but he knows best. Need all done before our medical changes or is canceled for a month or longer when dh goes back retiree status.

Call to the water service- on hold waiting to talk to someone.
    =that call done- they wanted to try and get me to stay with them. Told them thanks but no thanks.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,058 Member
    Options
    Got the car done Yay! New outer tie rods and an alignment for a little over $400. It's got 70,000 miles so it should be good for a while now. Except it needs a bath. Lol!

Annie in Delaware
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- rainy!!! 1hr 40min 52sec, 39elev, 3.0ap, 97ahr, 116mhr, 4.85mi= 552c
    Strava app = 794c
    Other- 27.15min, bathe Chispas = 128c
    Zwift home bike trainer- strava stats- 26min, 121elev, 93aw, 16.2amph, 125ahr, 147mhr, 7.03mi= 230c
    Strava app = 139c
    Zwift stats- 26.05min, 124elev, 62arpm, 93aw, 16.19arpm, 7.04mi= 139c

Total cal 910

Raining like Tacoma, we still went out for our walk. We cut it short a mile. Chispas was a champ, she did a good solid 3.5-4 mile walk in this rain.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    v143g02czif9.png

:D

This afternoon I dug out the weights, did a light routine. Looked through my logs - I started in 2017, took time off here and there to recover from injuries, operations, life.

I can't believe I was up to 15# in ankle weights. :o 10# dumbbells just a few years ago. I was at 5# each today, fairly easy, but moving up gradually to prevent injury.

"Well done" to all of you joining me digging out the weights and getting back on that horse.

Remember - go at your own pace ;) There's no contest here. A little bit better than yesterday, last week, or even last month has benefits. :)

Remember - Strong Women Stay Young <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Thanks for the reminder to go at our own pace.
    I walked for the first time in almost 6 weeks and found myself a bit out of breath after just 30 min, where I was doing well over 90 with no problem.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Hello, my chickens,

Got my pills sorted for the week and laundry done and put away, and I have this week left as purely mine before the labs and doctor visits proliferate next week, and then the colonoscopy in February bullies me into submission. Not looking forward to that, but am hoping SOME answers will be found. And not bad answers, thank you very much. I want good answers. Hey, if I'm using my wishing wand, I'm wishing for everything I want. Just any old answer will not suffice.

Right now I'm trying to get through a chill, teeth grinding, shivering, etc., and both my hands fall asleep. Typing with no feeling in your fingers is quite odd. And unbearably slow! this too will pass...

Love,
    Lisa

praying you get good answers from your test.

I have fingerless gloves that I wear when my hands are super cold. They really help.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    :)
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,203 Member
    Options
    Worked on my tax docs this morning to give to DYD, who is a chartered accountant. Also sorted out my MOT.

After lunch I went to my Monday Painters. Just another day 😝

Laundry: DH puts washing on if it’s a bright day, as it’s a more economical way of using our solar power. He hangs it out and brings it in. I hang it up inside to air and fold/put it away. Sometimes we have several washes on the one day.
    NB: although electricity prices have rocketed, the rate the pay is for exported units has not, so we use as much of the solar power as we can. It has kept our electric bills at a reasonable price.

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Got the car done Yay! New outer tie rods and an alignment for a little over $400. It's got 70,000 miles so it should be good for a while now. Except it needs a bath. Lol!

Annie in Delaware

Annie -what make and year is your car? Tie rod ends and ball joints make me nervous, lol, tho I've had vehicles with those problems - it was decades ago. Glad you were able to get it done and can drive safely!

I'm grateful my oil change guy also has a repair facility. He has saved me money by putting my car on the lift for free to double check some spendy work Jiffy Lube said needed to be done. Love these small town mechanics :)

Lanette

Lanette
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    Worked, confirmed that she wanted me to work EVERY Tuesday. My first thought (I didn’t say this) was CRAP! I like going to the gym early, then I’m not rushed to be out of the aerobics room. But I’ll manage. As long as I’m out of there by 12:00 I’m fine. So the plan for tomorrow is to do a body pump DVD. Then I need to go pick up this thing we put the scanners in when we go to FL. One of the zippers on Vince’s broke and since we got it in Spain, it’s really worth it to just get the zipper replaced. Then I need to stop at Dollar General to see if they have any distilled water, if not, I can try other DG’s.

Had bowling this afternoon, took my walk when we got home.

Barbara – stay safe. Yes, I’ve used my convection oven to make fries and they came out crispy. Someone (I think it was even on here) said that a convection oven is the same as an air fryer, so I thought I’d give it a try. And it is!

Kylia – I add things to the grocery list (and so does Vince) as soon as we are out. There are things that I know I’d forget if I didn’t put it right on the list. Now we have the google assist so I tell it to add the items to my grocery list and keep the list on my phone in my pocketbook so I always have it with me.

Got the handrail for the garage today. Now Vince needs to install it. Maybe I should just do it. Good luck with the mammo

M – glad you found those dumbells

Don’t ever take Vince to a grocery store, especially when he’s hungry! I much prefer to do the grocery shopping alone

Rosemarie – The sciatica is much, much better. But I can still feel a little twinge in my hip. I’m going to have to look for a hip stretch that I can do while standing since I’m standing all the time at work. I can’t really stand and put my foot on the other foot (like the number 4). I do stretch my hamstrings by just putting the foot out in front and lifting the toes (does that make any sense?)

Terri – how I wish we can hang our laundry outside. I miss that so much. Everything smelled so wonderful. And the sun actually bleached the shirts and got the deodorant stains out. The only thing I didn’t hang up were towels. They came out so rough. But everything else got hung out. Looks like the owners of our house took down the clothes line, tho! What a shame

Rebecca – when your son named Athena, is he a fan of the Who because they have a song called “Athena”.

We’re going to discuss the dates we’ll be in FL. Went to the post office and even tho they’ll only do a 30 day hold of the mail online, if we fill out this card they will hold the mail for 35 days so that’ll give us an extra week in FL (yea!) Then went to CVS since I had $2 coupon off. Bought a Christmas ornament for 27cents. That’s a price I can live with.

Michele NC