<3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,738 Member
    Options
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,557 Member
    Options
    Hello, my dears,

Hope it's a good Tuesday for all... Mine's starting out much better, slept straight through the night.

Machka - I can't imagine being that hot all the time, and honestly wouldn't trade for the chills. They're no fun, but heat makes me extremely ill extremely fast, so your travails would have pushed me off the edge long ago. Something is happening now along those lines, but it's only when I'm asleep. I wake because my pajamas and my hair are soaking wet, and the cool air in the bedroom chills me. Not every night, no idea why, but I need to remember to tell the doc when I see her. My full hysterectomy was more than 20 years ago, so it's not menopausal.

Tracey - If I went into the grocery store in order to get ideas for meals, I'd go broke. A lot of my ideas for meals come from the internet. There's an app (and its a browser extension, if you want to install it on your computer) called Copy Me That which will snag any recipe off any site that has them, and I use it a lot. I need to go in and organize mine.

About meal planning - went on longer than I planned:
    Regarding meal planning, we don't, exactly, but because we are meat eaters, I will often figure out a list of meats like baked chicken, pork/seafood (pork for Corey, seafood for me), hamburger, sausages, oven chicken, and pizza. The seventh one is leftovers.

Before I put an order together, I check the freezer to see if the meat I want to use is already there and if I need to put anything on the order list. Our dry pantry is double-stocked with everything that we eat often as side dishes, like rice, pasta, beans etc. We both love stove-top stuffing and cream of chicken soup for baked chicken, so I buy two of the stuffing each time. Oven chicken is frozen chicken tenders, Corey's favorite, and it always goes on top of a big salad. That's something where I'll pop up to the local grocery store and get a head of lettuce on the day, so the salad is fresh.

On the weekdays, he calls me every day at lunch, and that's when we decide what's for dinner, which is usually plenty of time to thaw out things like chicken. Or for me to precook something (like bacon for burgers, for instance) if necessary.

The upright freezer we bought when the pandemic put the world in lockdown has helped us keep prices down a lot for what we buy, as we can buy any kind of meat in bulk and/or on sale and freeze in meal-sized portions. Over the last three years, I would say it's paid for itself, and the vacuum bag machine has paid for itself many, many times over. I can order a fresh 20-pack of boneless skinless chicken thighs, and then split the package into seven meals and freeze them in individual bags. All I have to do is take one frozen package out to thaw for the night's dinner. That means my protein for that meal is only $1, and that's the goal.

You might have noticed that the list above wasn't tied to a given day. Just keeps things less stressful. Corey would be happy to eat hamburger every single day, but both of us need more and different proteins than just beef, so I make him pick from the list. We also don't go to restaurants anymore, all meals are home-cooked, also saving a boatload of money. He splurged and bought three beautiful T-bones this week for about $18 - and one T-bone is enough for both of us, along with a baked potato. The total price ended up being about $7 for one meal. The same meal in a restaurant here is easy $40, so even my budget-minded soul was satisfied. I very seldom eat steak, but it was really good. Unfortunately, my taste buds kicked in about halfway through my portion, and it started tasting like liver, so Corey got half of mine as well. He was not complaining! >:)

Sorry - that was utterly boring. It's part of the reason I just say "Stick to the budget" in my goals, so I don't make myself completely doolally. I can be really detail-oriented when I let it off the leash.

I have to vacuum today, particularly my office, because the floor is beginning to look like the bottom of a birdcage. Other than that - it's chilly outside now, but supposed to get all the way up to 70 F this afternoon! (21 C). I might just go outside and do something. Don't know what, haven't been out there in a long time. :p Ah, and there starts the flood - fix the broken fence slat, blow the carport clean of leaves... Details...

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,099 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    :) Carol in GA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,375 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Bea is here. :D On the way home, I was so enthused by my list of the things I cook that I had a craving for chicken in black bean sauce. My black beans are years old, so I popped into the Chinese shop. NO beans. :# Delivery late.
    So, I'm going to cook the mushrooms variation and picked up pak choi. Also fresh coriander for tonight's salsa.
    Knackered. That 3 mile walk to and from the school does me in. My hips are sore.
    Just about to serve Bea's favourite food, pasta butterflies with pesto..
    Then she's off swimming. :o

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,828 Member
    Options
    Heather- your such a good grandma!!
    Rosemarie- i just suggested a couple of series of books to a dear friend of mine don't know if you read either
    James Herriot series ,starting with all creatures great and small
    And then C.S. Lewis ,Chronicles of Narnia ,my mom read my brother and I the whole series before bed nightly it was wonderful
    Miles down for his 2nd nap.. all quiet in the house..Tracy should be home in about 1/2 hr and then have to pick up the pups and run to UPS
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Tracey- I meal plan! I really have to, as I have the childcare kids to feed, as well as my family. I have a form that has 2/3 of the page for meals planned for the week. LIke this:
    Monday__________date_____
    breakfast:_________________
    am snack:_________________
    lunch:_____________________
    pm snack:__________________
    Tuesday...
    Then along the left side of the page are lines for grocery list. I write my family dinners across the top of the page. I have used this form for about 10 years. I try to food plan/prep so that my family is eating the same/close to the same foods as the kids. Makes it a bit more budget friendly. Like this week, my family is having pot roast on Wednesday night; the kids are having pot roast on thursday for lunch.
    Carla- Cute, cute, card! So creative!
    Pip- Sweet baby Yogi! <3 That picture sticks in my mind, as well as the "wet Yogi" pic that you took of him at the beach.
    1 Sit in silence for three minutes... it's harder than you think. Done

ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Are you on some kind of food program with the daycare?
    Here, it is through the county and we get reimbursed a set amount for up to two meals and a snack a day. The program we use to track is KidCare.
    It used to be really worth the time to track. Now, with only one kid part time, not so much but still do it. Doesn't take that long to do it.

• dlfk202000
    Options
    We haven't done online grocery shopping mainly for two reasons, we like to go to a few stores to check out their deals/sales/mark downs and plan I plan our meals around what we find and I like to pick out my own produce plus see what looks good that I hadn't planned on buying and second, my husband and my son both work in grocery stores. If we need something they just pick it up.
    During covid shortages, dh was able to pick up stuff for us and friends when the loads would come in, before it even went on the sales floor. We had people from church calling him asking him for stuff- his trunk had toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc- all the things that around here were hard to get. He would meet them in the parking lot or they would stop by the house to get it.
    If dh ate more home cooked meals then I would need to do more shopping but he prefers to pick up food(fast food usually and way too much of it in my opinion). Tonight he is picking up Subway sandwiches for him and his mom, I am making potato soup to go with a salad.I have some chicken sausage I can air fry to go with it if I am really hungry. He just came in with a big bag from Taco Bell again(does that at least 3-4 times a week)
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Don't think I will get my walk today but will wear my rain boots and coat, just in case there is a little break, while I wait to pick up Ezie from school. Stormed pretty good all night. Now one forecast says we will be getting rain though the end of the month.
    I am going to stop at the park we usually walk at to see what it looks like- didn't think about it when I drove by yesterday.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Today is going to be a much better food day than yesterday.

My mom has a doctor's appointment this afternoon. It's making me nervous and defensive, as the appointment with a gerontologist was my idea and she doesn't want to go. But she has more and more trouble walking. She needs PT and a podiatrist. We shall see how this goes.

Annie in Delaware

good luck with her appointment
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    After work went to the gym. Yea! Did a body pump DVD. Tomorrow night is Newcomer bowling. After the gym stopped at the Salvation Army. They were giving away the Christmas items. So I got an ornament for free! Now that’s definitely a price I can live with….lol Then stopped to see if the fanny pack for Vince was fixed only the woman said she didn’t have a zipper, she needs to look for it. Stopped at Food Lion, then Dollar General to see if they have the water I need (they didn’t, so I’ll check the Dollar General by me and if they don’t maybe I’ll look at the one on the way taking Jerry home.) Home now, hopefully I’ll get a walk in before my eye MD appt. at 3

M – I love the smell of line-dried clothing. Only the HOA won’t allow it (boo)

Lisa – the way you “plan” your meals sounds a lot like the way I do it. I go to my freezer and see what, if anything, I need for the week. I cook on the weekend if something needs to be made. Or at least I try to cook on the weekend. I, too, try to have an extra of something in my pantry (like an extra jar of salsa). When the pandemic hit, I was ever so grateful that we had a freezer (and a pool)! Yup, I buy things in bulk or on sale and freeze it, too after portioning it out. I usually don’t buy in bulk unless it’s a real good price. We very seldom go to restaurants, either. Then, when we do go, I’m always amazed at how much it costs!

Rosemarie – I’m always so in awe of all you do.

I very seldom do online shopping. I like to go in the store, sometimes I see something (another brand) that spurs my interest. Also, I like to pick out my own produce and dairy. I’ve seen people pulling things off the shelves for pick up, and they don’t look at expiration dates etc. Like last time I needed some ripe bananas for Vince but then I also got some that weren’t ripe for Vince for when he finished the ripe ones, those would be ripe.

Looks like I probably won’t get a walk in today since I have to leave in about 10 minutes. First, I’ll stop at the Dollar General by me to see if they have the water then the eye MD. I am willing to bet that they’ll dilate my eyes. I seem to remember that it took about 2 hours to go back to normal. By then it’ll probably be getting dark out (how I hate this dark early stuff)

Michele NC
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »

Looks like I probably won’t get a walk in today since I have to leave in about 10 minutes. First, I’ll stop at the Dollar General by me to see if they have the water then the eye MD. I am willing to bet that they’ll dilate my eyes. I seem to remember that it took about 2 hours to go back to normal. By then it’ll probably be getting dark out (how I hate this dark early stuff)

Michele NC

I don't let them dilate my eyes without notice. Last time they did it, I drove home and the sun felt like it was burning my eyes-even with the darkening shades they gave me. I had to drive next to a big truck on the freeway to block the sun. It was very dangerous. If they want to dilate, I make a separate appointment and get a ride.

Tina in CA
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    :) Carol in GA
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,557 Member
    Options
    <3