WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    You know, Tracey, I had the most wonderful auntie who would send cards to everyone for their birthday every year. EVERY year, even if she was out of town, which became more frequent for my birthday because it was February and they started going to Hawaii every year. As she got older, her signature got harder to read, but she still sent the cards and they got more precious to receive. We lost Auntie Sally a couple years ago and Uncle Leigh just last year. I still have some of the last couple cards that she sent to me.

Hehehe sorry, Machka, emails don't count. That's the point... LOL!

OMGosh, Karen, that is one of my favorite songs... Thank you for reminding me. <3

11 Send a card/note to someone today... easy peasy again, I've got them ready to go.
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
    12 What are you looking forward to in 2023?...
    13 Tell a random person they look "good" today...
    14 Tell us three amazing things that happened recently (you decide what "recently" means...lol)...
    15 Call or text someone you haven't talked to in at least a week...
    16 What made you smile today...
    17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for...
    18 What material comforts are you most thankful for? You can make your list as long as you like...
    19 Write a positive review for a company for goods or services you've received recently...
    20 Write down five things you like about yourself...
    21 Pay it forward in some way...
    22 What do you most desire in your life right now?...
    23 Go an entire day without complaining...
    24 What about you makes you special?...
    25 Spend time with a loved one...
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy?...
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend...
    28 What fear have you overcome?...
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice...
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?...
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,548 Member
    Options
    Karen - Wow on the 40 pounds lost! With you on the "rather do it a different way, thank you very much."

Tracey - Ditto for me on the cards. I sent all my family cards on their birthdays, and holidays and never, ever got one back. One year I stopped, and I'm pretty sure no one noticed. My best friend and I send each other birthday cards each year, and I'm pretty sure it's the only card either of us sends anymore.

Lanette - The doc that did my gastric bypass tattooed on my brain that I have to get at least 65 grams of protein a day to keep my body from cannibalizing my muscles to supply its overall needs. Then he noted that the heart is a muscle. It stuck, and I still try very hard to get at least that much protein every day. You noted cottage cheese as a way to get protein, and I take that serving of cottage cheese and add about 3 oz of reheated taco meat, made with 85-15 beef. The combination is 40 grams of protein, and yummy, too. I also need the heme iron from the beef, so it's really a win for me.

Machka - My decisionmaking abilities, or current lack thereof, sound much like your "I don't know" phase.

Annie - I'm so sorry. Even when you know something's coming, seeing it in black and white can be devastating. You are such a strong person, and I hope you can get the help you need to get through these next few years. Having that diagnosis may well open community doors and support for you and your mom. Margaret gave some great suggestions. You can do this!

Love to all of you,
    Lisa in AR
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,732 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,371 Member
    Options
    "And to be loved we need to be known" - that's another line from the song. Allie - why not spend the time in McDonald's really listening to Carmine? No judgement. We all need someone's full attention, to be really listened to and understood. DH is so good at that with the kids. He pays full attention to Bea talking non -stop. She is in seventh heaven.
    Withholding privileges when they don't even know why, doesn't seem very helpful.

I haven't got the gift of patience that DH has, :o:p but I hope we can provide a place where the kids do not feel judged. 'Unconditional positive regard'
    I feel teenagehood coming on before we know it. Max is 12 in five months. I'm sure he will withdraw and be less keen on coming round, but DH and he have a special bond that I hope we can sustain.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! :)

Carol in GA
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,035 Member
    Options
    Tracey- Just the mention of that album and I can see it in my mind. One of my favorites I am pretty sure is on that is "Kiss an Angel Goodmorning" Mom and dad had that and a lot more. I am pretty sure she still has it. All the old country music. Maybe a record player would be a great gift for her for her birthday so she could play them again.
    LOVED all the 45's they had.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    I guess I am one of the few that don't like line dried clothes. I remember as a kid having all the clothes drying on the line- I HATED the feel of them, so much I was in tears with some of them. I have always been VERY picky about my clothes, they HAVE to be super soft and no tags in them. If I wore a sweater, I had to wear a long sleeve soft cotton shirt under it. My favorite clothes are fleece/cotton/sherpa/etc. I feel clothes first before anything else. I rarely buy clothes online because of that. They look like they will be soft but get them and they feel terrible.

Mine have to be smooth cotton or jersey knit.

Fortunately line drying those is all right.

I used to be able to wear anything but not since 2016. Fleece is OK as a jacket over a long sleeve cotton top in the middle of winter but it's too prickly against my skin.

It's related to how hot I get.

Even at night I sleep with a very smooth cotton sheet and that's it ... unless it is really cold.

M in Oz

My favorite "fabric" now is Sherpa!!! Love the feel. I have quite a few sherpa blankets and then dh got me one of the big jacket/robes that is Sherpa inside and fleece that is super soft. BUT, after a while, when the Sherpa isn't super soft anymore, those blankets become cat blankets
    My newest blanket I ordered and opened after my surgery, so comfy. Used it the whole time I was on the couch and now it is on my side of the bed. I have another just like it that I used when I had Covid. That was the one thing I couldn't wait to open and use when I was finally able to drive home from mom's after being too weak to drive home. Two weeks on the couch with that.

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2758102/eddie-bauer-cabin-plaid-sherpa-throw.jsp?prdPV=13

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1944597/the-big-one-super-soft-plush-throw.jsp?prdPV=5

Kohl's has these on sale every Black Friday. $19.99 for the Sherpa and $9 for the fleece. I buy extra every year. This year I bought two of the Sherpa ones and had them sent to my former inlaws.

Debbie

• dlfk202000
    Options

Annie a call out to you to be gentle with yourself too! Had a long talk with my neighbor whose dad has similar problems because of a stroke. He talked about the son hat versus the caregiver hat and the problems of each. Fortunately he does have Power of Attorney for his dad. Does someone in your family have this with your mom? I know it an extra layer but it does make some things easier such as paying her bills and making sure she is not subjected to scammers.

When she gets into her stubborn mindset give yourself space where you remind yourself it her illness and you do the best you can to deal with it. Getting good sleep, eating well, giving yourself breaks, saying NO to others in your life who add to your stress, finding the things in your life that recharge your batteries.

Are there things that motivates her? When we finish X then we will do Y (what she likes)

State things rather than sound like you are giving her a choice. Time to go to podiatrist...we are going to make your toes pretty. After podiatrist we will Y.

In many ways it is like dealing with a 2-3 year old yet they are an adult. So you use the techniques of dealing with a 2-3 while using the voice and respect of an adult.

I remember going to a workshop on how to deal with children that have tantrums. You give them the space they need to calm down. Yet you stay nearby and calmly check in on them to let them know you are there for them. If you engage them when they are upset it can get you upset and the situation escalates. Another technique that I have yet to master but am working on it is count to five or more in your head before saying anything.

Your family is in a marathon not a sprint when dealing with a loved one who has Alzheimer's.

Humor and cherishing those moments when your mom is doing well helps too. Trying to remember how frustrating and frightening it is for your mom who is losing her ability to think clearly gives some perspective.

(((Triple hugs)))

I love your suggestions- both the reward after doing something she doesn't really want to do and also to treat them like you are dealing with the 2-3 yr old.
    I have had to do that with my MIL.
    Lots of prayers before I go into her house also helps- pray for peace and to please don't let her bitterness affect me. They have really helped.
    I need dh to read this and do some of it instead of just getting mad at her. Doesn't do anyone any good.
    Especially the reward part- that will work for her.

Debbie

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,732 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Heather — “And to be loved we need to be known.” Brilliant! 💖

Rori— Nice to hear from you. A hair appointment sounds pleasant. I hope you enjoy the basketball game. 🌸

Rita— “Appreciate” is excellent. ⭐️ I like it. 😊
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,433 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Dementia and elder care --

I ran across this website when dealing with my husband's issues (in addition to the one Rori mentioned <3)

https://www.agingcare.com/caregiver-forum

Folks talk about their own experiences in dealing with family members in all stages of dementia and care. You might find it helpful. ;)

Lanette B)