• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,327 Member
    Options
    Intentions for today:
    ♦️laundry✔️
    ♦️accounts ✔️
    ♦️Monday Painters
    ♦️solid habits

Just reading as I’m off out in 45 mins and still have to have lunch.

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for all those those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    My brother texted yesterday to say they could pop in for 11 am coffee tomorrow on their way to Kent. I said, YES!
    This morning I was thinking they might need more than a cup of coffee, so I decided to make focaccia!!! Our deli can't get any from the bakery at the moment, so we have been deprived.
    It's in the oven right now.
    I haven't made any for many years. I'm using the flour we bought at the beginning of the pandemic!
    When the cleaner gets here I will be able to go out to buy other bits, including scallions for tonight's Chinese chicken in black bean. I have to wait because Amazon are delivering a box of author's copies of Memory Boxes. :D

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Betsy ~ Hugs for you and all your family. Safe trip to and from Alaska. Prayers for your son and sister! <3

Carol in GA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Betsy - Much love to you and your son, and safe journey! I hope you get to go on your cruise. B)

My books have arrived! There are a couple of stray blank pages, and a couple of words wrong in the poem 'Angry Day'. Annoying. Grrr! However, it's not a bad effort. :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,674 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    Betsy- your a good mom and i was thinking about a Panama canal cruise myself one day..
    Poor Miles isn't his chipper self today he is back down for another nap..
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options

Gratitude list
    Word of the year: APPRECIATE—- Today I appreciate my iPad.

1 Sit in silence for three minutes... it's harder than you think—DONE
    2 List 5 things using each of your senses——DONE
    3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house—tossed Christmas card I had collected
    4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever)—This year was jewelry from my ‘adopted’ granddaughter.
    5 Move for at least 30 minutes today—-Done plus #1 again!
    6 Share a goal you achieved last year—-Bringing my car to the car wash one or more times a month!
    7 Slow down and savor one meal today—-Breakfast-savored the texture of my OUI yogurt versus the granola I added.
    8 Who was your favorite teacher—My French teacher in High School. Sister Jeannette
    9 Create something today—-I will work on my crochet - making a granny square afghan out of left over yarn.
    10 What is your favorite lyric from a song—Against the wind, We were running against the wind. We were young and strong, we were running against the wind.
    11 Send a card/note to someone today—Done! Note to DH and card for Uncle’s birthday.
    12 What are you looking forward to in 2023? Losing weight and better financial status.
    13 Tell a random person they look "good" today—Done!
    14 Tell us three amazing things that happened recently (you decide what "recently" means...lol) 1. I got to go to TN to attend my daughter’s wedding last year, My brother from AZ came to visit us in NM, I experienced my first 5.4 earthquake in NM this past December.
    15 Call or text someone you haven't talked to in at least a week—Called my mom, and texted my 3 kids.
    16 What made you smile today—-The beautiful scenery on my morning wetlands walk.
    17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for—17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for—! Picture in spoiler

On my morning walk. You can see Captain Mountain in the background (where Billy the Kid had his hideout)
    18 What material comforts are you most thankful for? You can make your list as long as you like...heat, air conditioning, water, sewer, a roof over my head, a car, internet, electronics, clothes, shoes, medicines, food, means of cooking, refrigerator, use of a freezer, use of a washer/dryer, books, writing utensils, everything I use every day!
    19 Write a positive review for a company for goods or services you've received recently—Done!
    20 Write down five things you like about yourself. I’m tenacious, my hair color, my love of learning, my ability to mediate, my technology abilities.
    21 Pay it forward in some way—to be accomplished
    22 What do you most desire in your life right now?—Being debt free.
    23 Go an entire day without complaining—-This is going to tough!
    24 What about you makes you special?
    25 Spend time with a loved one
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy?
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend
    28 What fear have you overcome?
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...

RVRita
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,526 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - Unfortunately, at least three of the medications I'm taking cause dry mouth, so it's not easy to tell. Dehydration is also always an issue for those who've had a gastric bypass, so I drink water all day long. Helpfully, though, the VA docs are testing my fasting blood glucose every few months and no issues have shown up. My mother was diagnosed with diabetes at 60 years old, so I do ask them to keep an eye on it. Thank you for thinking of me, dear heart. Hope Lee is continuing his healthy ways.

Your soup sounds like something Corey would love!

Heather - Just finished Where Am I? and filed a review. On to Memory Boxes... :)

Oh ok.💖. I do care bout you! Glad your VA docs are keeping tabs on it, and you are keeping tabs on them so it's all good.
    Oh Lee, he is the incredible shrinking man the snot. He's down to 170 lbs and when he started being aware of his sugar intake back in Dec, he was 189. So its kind of startling to witness. I told him that I have seen him super slim and I didn't like it. Course it was because of his sick liver but still.
    That silly rhyme, "Jack Sprat could eat no fat, his wife could eat no lean, but between the two of them they licked their plates clean", runs thru my brain.......🙃🙄😜
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    Katla I feel bad for you and DH, my heart breaks. I hate feeling helpless like that when someone is sick or in the hospital. I wish I could visit and just give you a big hug.

Yesterday walked 9,528, didn’t realize I was so close to 10,000! I would have gone for another short walk! Today I plan to do yoga for 10 minutes along with the walking. However, the walking will be difficult as it is extremely windy here today with gusts up to 35 MPH. No trees to speak of here to block the wind so pretty tough. I’ll wear a face mask as well as cover my ears when I go. Here are pictures of where I walk. I put them in a spoiler because they are large and look better that way.
    sgj4xg8cts2e.jpeg
    qsibe98zosjf.jpeg
    t4px4kjq5n8g.jpeg
    ccrwgwqbzso1.jpeg
    97lhhh5z5pzh.jpeg

Two different places: the wetlands area has the boardwalk, and what we call the dayside- a trail that goes around the whole picnic area at the park. The white stuff you see on the ground is NOT snow. It is salt from the salt water lake.

RVRita in windy and cold NM
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,526 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    6ejcowufo61x.jpg
    :D<3:D

Heather UK xxxxxx
    It looks amazing! Here in the US, bakers put sprigs of this and that, thyme or rosemary, some asparagus spears, and edible flower petals and make a picture. Yes we Americans play with our food way too much. Yours looks more delightfully edible than bread art.💖😜
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,012 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    KJLaMore wrote: »

I talked to DH today, about a goal I have to be able to have a "teacher's" schedule, and have summers off. We looked at the projected finances and decided that we can make this happen by the time I hit 60. That is only four years away! Whoot! I can live with that. Well, the sun is coming up and my day needs to start. Sending love and hugs to all of you who need it!
    ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

I have had a talk with my dh and told him my plans. My one daycare girl will start 1st grade in the middle of Aug. She will be going to school all day then so I would only have her about an hour 3 days a week and 2 hours the other day. That is not worth it for me to be tied down. I will be dropping her then. They can have her in the after school program or her grandparents can just pick her up a little earlier than they have been. I plan on taking the rest of the year off(available as a back up for her if needed) and enjoy the holidays then look for a new family after the first of the year. This way, I still get the tax write off which is the only reason I am still doing the daycare. Get one part time baby for another year then be totally done. I will be 61 in March. I have been either teaching preschool or doing daycare for the past 40 yrs. Dh has decided to cut back and only work one morning a week. Time for me to get some time off.

Debbie

Your DH is at retirement age?

Here, my age group's retirement age is 67 years old and I can't access the government pension till then. Then when I get there, it's recommended to keep working part-time, up to a certain amount like maybe 1-2 days a week, to maximise payments.

M in Oz

Dh took early retirement about 6-7 yrs ago when he was eligible at 52(the clause is called 85 and out- your age plus your years worked add up to 85 you can retire and get full pension). He had had double hip replacements twice plus the store manager at the time was really messing with him so he took the retirement, while it was available(they could have pulled it from the contract and he would have been screwed). He took 6 months off and went back part time. They allow up to 63hrs a month and still get pension(go over and loose it for the month) Then covid hit and they couldn't get any workers so they lifted the restrictions. He can work as many hours as he wants and still get his pension. If he works 96hrs a month, he is considered active status and they pay his medical which is a bit better than what the retiree medical is. They expected the restrictions to be lifted for six months at the most, now, over two years later, still not put back in place. He is choosing to cut back on his hours because of this manager plus he just wants to work less. He can start pulling his 401 this summer so that is what he is planning on doing. It has been great with him working extra, more money going into the savings plus he is a shopper and he has been doing a LOT of that lately. If he goes back to just 32 hrs a month, he better slow down on the shopping.
    This is the first week where he was supposed to work one day a week but the manager put him on for three. If he will work three a week, that will get him the full time status and keep our medical. Our biggest concern is when he switches back, they will mess up the medical like they have each time his status changes. It was very stressful to be in Kaiser for my pre-op for my cataract surgery to hear the lady say very loudly that I didn't have any coverage. He made calls and it was fixed but didn't want that stress right before surgery that I was already stressing about.

I can pull early SS in another year. He says I can pull half of his because it will be quite a bit more than what my own would be.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca

• dlfk202000
    Options
    Daycare girl's mom text me. Ezie had a rough night so will be staying home with grandma today-
    A day off for me.
    I got to sleep in(dh went to work at 3AM and I didn't hear him get ready, but did hear him when he came back home a couple minutes after leaving because he had forgotten his phone, went back to sleep off and on until 8:30 and stayed in bed a while)
    Got up, fed all the cats, inside and out. Do need to do the litter boxes before he gets home at 11:30
    Enjoying my second cup of tea then will start on a few chores- laundry and a few dishes then want to make more of the banana yeast rolls and try Lisa's yeast bread recipe.
    No walk at the wetlands I don't think. Would be nice if I could get dh to go with me. He has never been there.
    He has a package that we have to sign for coming today. One of his comic books he sent out for grading. One today and one coming Thursday. He said, depending on the grade of the StarWars one, could be worth over $30,000- that is crazy for something he spent .35 cents for. He needs to go through his brothers collection and see if he has the same one. Albert usually bought two of each one and has a ton, as does dh- Time to start selling them and that will make up for his lower income if he wants to go back to one day a week.

Not sure yet what I will do for dinner. No meat thawed out.Need to dump a bunch of leftovers no one ate.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Betsy- so sorry to hear about your son. Hope he heals quickly and completely

It will be amazing if you can go on the cruise. We have been on four so far. Looking forward to another one but as of now, have to wait until either we put MIL in a home(not looking like that will happen), get some help that she won't be mean to(not likely to happen either) or she dies- yep, we are waiting for that, before we can take another one.
    We have the time and the money but dh thinks he has to be there twice a day so can't even do a quick day trip right now. He is there at 9am and 4PM