WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,014 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Debbie - With a dough hook, you simply let it keep kneading in the bowl for ten minutes, and then pull it out onto a floured board and push it into the shape of big blob, no more kneading is necessary.

I've never allowed anything to rise inside a pressure cooker, so not sure what to tell you on that. I simply oil the mixing bowl, put the dough back in it, and cover the top with plastic wrap, put it in a warm place to double in size. Now that I have an oven with a proofing mode, I put it in there at 95 degrees and let it double - takes about 35 to 45 minutes for the first rise.

If you and your husband both like Hawaiian bread, you can bump up the sugar in the yeast rolls recipe, too. I keep it very low, as neither of us are fond of sweet bread for sandwiches, but you can go up as high as 3/4 of a cup for a full recipe.

I asked Mama to write me out her bread recipe, and below is the original. She wasn't big on details... :smiley: She's the one who taught me that baking is NOT a science, it's an art. The food shows are all so precise, and seem to want to intimidate home bakers. In reality, every ingredient in bread recipes can be changed as you see fit. I've seen her put chicken broth in the bread for the liquid, and the resulting rolls turned out amazing.

z5sbc9e5xyco.png

Thank you-
    I have a stand mixer WAY back in the back of the cupboard that I haven't used in years. May have to pull it out. That will be a pain but may do it. I do have an old antique one that would be easier to get out but not sure if it works and sure it doesn't have the dough hook.

The banana yeast roll recipe, I just mixed by hand, no kneading. Didn't rise as well as I had hoped but flavor was really good.(was up at 2am, couldn't sleep, and grabbed a small one)

This time of the year, the house is cool and I have had trouble with getting bread to rise, that is why I wanted to use the pressure cooker. For the most part, it worked well. Still working on it.

Somewhere, I have a recipe from my grandma for her buns- everyone LOVED Grandma's buns- we all joked about it but they were so good. She would make that and chili. When I was with former hubby,stationed in Mobile, grandma sent me the newspaper article of her and her recipes. I wish I could find it. I am sure it is in the book case with my recipe books but just not sure where in the book case.
    I have asked my aunt(last of grandma's ten kids) and she doesn't have it and I asked my other aunt(Grandma's daughter in law) and she didn't have any BUT she did give me some other recipes in grandma's writing that I love having.

Is it 2 t. yeast or 2 packets of yeast?
    Have never heard of using broth but sounds great.
    I may try her recipe before pulling out the mixer.

I have a bread machine that I used to use. Maybe I can use it for making the dough but then bake it in the oven.

I just need to find a way to get nice fluffy bread and not dense bread which seemed to happen the last few times I used the bread machine. May try kneading by hand- get a little frustrations out in the process.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,507 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Margaret - your post reminds me of the "super taster" trait. Almost every green vegetable tastes bitter to me, and beets in particular taste like bitter dirt.
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Debbie - With a dough hook, you simply let it keep kneading in the bowl for ten minutes, and then pull it out onto a floured board and push it into the shape of big blob, no more kneading is necessary.

I've never allowed anything to rise inside a pressure cooker, so not sure what to tell you on that. I simply oil the mixing bowl, put the dough back in it, and cover the top with plastic wrap, put it in a warm place to double in size. Now that I have an oven with a proofing mode, I put it in there at 95 degrees and let it double - takes about 35 to 45 minutes for the first rise.

If you and your husband both like Hawaiian bread, you can bump up the sugar in the yeast rolls recipe, too. I keep it very low, as neither of us are fond of sweet bread for sandwiches, but you can go up as high as 3/4 of a cup for a full recipe.

I asked Mama to write me out her bread recipe, and below is the original. She wasn't big on details... :smiley: She's the one who taught me that baking is NOT a science, it's an art. The food shows are all so precise, and seem to want to intimidate home bakers. In reality, every ingredient in bread recipes can be changed as you see fit. I've seen her put chicken broth in the bread for the liquid, and the resulting rolls turned out amazing.

z5sbc9e5xyco.png

Thank you-
    I have a stand mixer WAY back in the back of the cupboard that I haven't used in years. May have to pull it out. That will be a pain but may do it. I do have an old antique one that would be easier to get out but not sure if it works and sure it doesn't have the dough hook.

The banana yeast roll recipe, I just mixed by hand, no kneading. Didn't rise as well as I had hoped but flavor was really good.(was up at 2am, couldn't sleep, and grabbed a small one)

This time of the year, the house is cool and I have had trouble with getting bread to rise, that is why I wanted to use the pressure cooker. For the most part, it worked well. Still working on it.

Somewhere, I have a recipe from my grandma for her buns- everyone LOVED Grandma's buns- we all joked about it but they were so good. She would make that and chili. When I was with former hubby,stationed in Mobile, grandma sent me the newspaper article of her and her recipes. I wish I could find it. I am sure it is in the book case with my recipe books but just not sure where in the book case.
    I have asked my aunt(last of grandma's ten kids) and she doesn't have it and I asked my other aunt(Grandma's daughter in law) and she didn't have any BUT she did give me some other recipes in grandma's writing that I love having.

I have a bread machine that I used to use. Maybe I can use it for making the dough but then bake it in the oven.

I just need to find a way to get nice fluffy bread and not dense bread which seemed to happen the last few times I used the bread machine. May try kneading by hand- get a little frustrations out in the process.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca

The half-recipe that I gave you (with or without the wheat bran) makes nice fluffy rolls, whether filled or not. I've never owned a bread machine, so not sure what would make the bread dense. Also, it's either 2 tbsp or 2 packets on the yeast amount, but not both. Yeast packets usually contain almost one tablespoon of yeast. I use active dry yeast that I buy from Bob's Red Mill in bulk. I bought a case of it six years ago, and just finally had to buy some more last year. It lasted for all those years, I just kept it in the freezer.

Until I finally bought a stand mixture, I always kneaded dough by hand. Ten minutes of kneading a two and a half pound dough is a great upper arm workout--and that's for the half-recipe :smiley: Even my big KitchenAid stand mixer can't handle the full recipe--it walks itself right off the edge of the counter when it's trying to push five pounds of dough around!

Corey helped me build a bread station that is the right height for me, as most counters are too high for me to knead dough on them unless I drag in a stepstool. #ShortGirlProblems. :wink: It also means I can leave the stand mixer out all the time, as well, without it taking up half the kitchen counter space.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Katla, it sounds like you have found an ideal spot where DH can get care, and you can be nearby. I hope my parents can find such a deal when their time comes.

I complain more on this site than I do out loud. Because no one remembers what I say, it doesn't do any good to ask for changes in this house. I'm not sure where the line is between complaining and asking for change. A lot of the updates I text to my sister could be seen as complaints. But I think my usual mistake is being too quiet.

My knee is a little tender this morning on the stairs. I'm glad I have a good brace. I don't know what people did before neoprene, but it is a huge advancement. And washable!

It's a good day to make great diet and exercise choices. I've been pretty good so far this week, and I'm looking forward to weigh-in on Friday. I just have to keep up the good work.

Annie in Delaware

wow- I see myself in that so much. I complain here but stay quiet and of course, nothing changes.
    I need to learn to speak up if I want things to be different. It is very hard. I have never been one to speak up. If I had spoke up sooner, I wouldn't be living the life I have been for the past 26 of the 30 yrs we have been married.
    I need to work on it.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Almost every green vegetable tastes bitter to me, and beets in particular taste like bitter dirt.
    dlfk202000 wrote: »

The half-recipe that I gave you (with or without the wheat bran) makes nice fluffy rolls, whether filled or not. I've never owned a bread machine, so not sure what would make the bread dense. Also, it's either 2 tbsp or 2 packets on the yeast amount, but not both. Yeast packets usually contain almost one tablespoon of yeast. I use active dry yeast that I buy from Bob's Red Mill in bulk. I bought a case of it six years ago, and just finally had to buy some more last year. It lasted for all those years, I just kept it in the freezer.

Until I finally bought a stand mixture, I always kneaded dough by hand. Ten minutes of kneading a two and a half pound dough is a great upper arm workout--and that's for the half-recipe :smiley: Even my big KitchenAid stand mixer can't handle the full recipe--it walks itself right off the edge of the counter when it's trying to push five pounds of dough around!

Corey helped me build a bread station that is the right height for me, as most counters are too high for me to knead dough on them unless I drag in a stepstool. #ShortGirlProblems. :wink: It also means I can leave the stand mixer out all the time, as well, without it taking up half the kitchen counter space.

I used to think that way about beets. Still not my favorite but know they are really good for me and oh my, mom makes some great pickled beets. I used to surprise my dad and pull some for me to take home, He remembered that I didn't care for them.

HAHAHA- yep- #ShortGirlProblem here too- just 5'. I can put my large cutting board on the kitchen table and it is the right height I think- not exactly but better,and safer, than standing on a step stool.
    I little step stools in the kitchen, Everyone assumes they are for the daycare kids. Yes, the kids use them but they are for me so I can reach stuff in the upper cupboards and on the fridge. Have larger metal one handy that is used often.

I have a one pound bag of yeast I need to use up. Expired a few months ago but I tested it and it is still active.

Debbie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather— I hope your visit with your brother’s DSIL will be a pleasure. 🌸

I accompanied DH to his Doctor visit today and things are going well for him. 😊

Debbie— I hope things work out well for your DH. Keeping fingers crossed for a good outcome. 🌺

Pip— Good planning to take a stroller along for Lucy.🐶

Barbie—A Complaint Free World by Will Bowen looks interesting. ⭐️

Ginny in OH— DH has health issues. I am thrilled & lucky to be nearby him. Our daughter was able to find a very good location for us. DH has skilled nursing care full-time, and I live close enough nearby to spend time with him every day. 😊

Pip— Good news that your garage repairman will be there tomorrow. Fingers crossed that you will be able to leave on Wednesday. 🤞🏻

Michele— Sorry that your workplace had to take Jerry home because he was drunk. I doubt he will be working there much longer, if at all. 🙈🙉 🙊

Barbie—Good news that Jake is healing! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Katla
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    24 What about you makes you special?... I think I'm a pretty good listener and give some good advice
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
    25 Spend time with a loved one...
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy?...
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend...
    28 What fear have you overcome?...
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice...
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?...
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    Lisa - This is the very easy one I used.
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/focaccia

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,336 Member
    Options
    All set for early grocery shopping run in the morning. Then meeting up with our Garden Group friends, and visiting the walled garden in Bangor Castle grounds.

Intentions for today:
    ♦️Craft Group✔️
    ♦️more accounts ✔️
    ♦️plan shopping tomorrow ✔️
    ♦️solid habits✔️

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for all those those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Good Evening,
    So just going to throw this out there. It is much easier to get your mowers ready in the winter way before spring and your snowblowers ready in the fall well before snow. We did our best to get people their snowblowers back today in advance of our next snowmaggedon. But when you wait until the day before no promises were made! We had snow at Christmas. Everyone's snowblower should have been ready by then. Even my SIL said she just tried to start hers on Sunday (6" snow) and it wouldn't start. Good thing her brother lives next door and loves to "play" in the snow. We had a beautiful day outside today. The sun was shining, the breeze was light and not freezing. This storm is being tricky. It only has to slide a few miles one way or the other to determine whether it will be snow or rain. Wait and see and be prepared.

I am exhausted! Finally got to eat lunch at 3 today. Leftover pork chop, chicken breast, a little rice, and about 1/4 of the leftover peanut butter pie. At 5:30 my Dear Husband says we are meeting folks for dinner. Needless to say, I was a really cheap date ;) I had water. One of my friends was really wishing I had ordered something. I explained that I was still full and it was silly to pay for something I wasn't going to eat. It was nice visiting though.

I did finally get caught up on all my work invoices!!!!! Yay!!!! All are estimated or totaled and called. Won't last long, but when we left today, they were all done. A few things I need to get done, but will address later. (Like tomorrow morning as to not procrastinate) If we do get snow we will probably be busy. We have about 30 more snowblowers to sell.

I think I am going to go read for a little while and get some sleep. Really haven't watched too much Barrett-Jackson yet with DH. That will probably start tomorrow night for me. Just not in the mood.

Prayers!
    Hugs!
    Congratulations!
    Keep making those fabulous decisions!
    Stay safe wherever you are.

Love,
    Kylia in Ohio as prepared as I can get and really happy I don't plow snow anymore!
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies!

I did thirty reps of my dumbbells Yay! Maybe I will wake up skinny! Well, not likely just yet, but maybe a touch stronger and more happy with myself. I'll take it!

Annie in Delaware
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,507 Member
    Options
    Well done, Annie! Keep it up, girl.

Thanks, Heather, most appreciated.

Kylia - Yeah, that tricky storm slid right into us... Super wet, gloopy snow. It brought the deer out early, too!
    2wsi750w4iuh.png
    It's supposed to stop about 2am. Hope it brings to you all those people who are tired of shoveling and desperately want a snowblower RIGHT NOW. :smiley:

Had a wonderful day today, reminded me how glorious normal can feel. Hopefully more of those to come. Made it 25 minutes on the elliptical and seven minutes on the rower, too. Such a good day.

Laughing at Jim Gaffigan, one of my favorite comedians, has a new special up on Netflix.

Later y'all,
    All kinds of love,
    Lisa in AR
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :)