WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    It is snowing here in Illinois. DH is sleeping in his recliner. I think I’ll drop some window shades and let him enjoy his rest.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,009 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Debbie,

question about "Let it knead in the bowl for ten minutes,"
    So, do I knead it in the bowl then on the board or let it rest for ten minutes then put on the board?

I am very new to this(used to use my bread machine when I did make bread.)

I have my second batch of banana yeast rolls ready to go in the oven in 10 min.

I will try setting my pressure cooker on warm for five minutes before putting the dough in and turning it off when I do put the dough in it and let it just stay in it to rise until double in size. Having it on warm, it left a dryer spot on it, like it did yesterday when I made it(but I messed up and it was on warm for 20 min instead of 5)

The flavor is great, just want to keep practicing- DH says they remind him a little Hawaiian bread.

Think I might try a mango next time I have extras that are over ripe

It’s a typo. It should read “let it rest in the bowl for ten minutes"

THANK YOU Karen- I fixed it on my copy of the recipe.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

Gratitude list
    Word of the year: APPRECIATE—- Today I appreciate my health.

1 Sit in silence for three minutes... it's harder than you think—DONE
    2 List 5 things using each of your senses——DONE
    3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house—tossed Christmas card I had collected
    4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever)—This year was jewelry from my ‘adopted’ granddaughter.
    5 Move for at least 30 minutes today—-Done plus #1 again!
    6 Share a goal you achieved last year—-Bringing my car to the car wash one or more times a month!
    7 Slow down and savor one meal today—-Breakfast-savored the texture of my OUI yogurt versus the granola I added.
    8 Who was your favorite teacher—My French teacher in High School. Sister Jeannette
    9 Create something today—-I will work on my crochet - making a granny square afghan out of left over yarn.
    10 What is your favorite lyric from a song—Against the wind, We were running against the wind. We were young and strong, we were running against the wind.
    11 Send a card/note to someone today—Done! Note to DH and card for Uncle’s birthday.
    12 What are you looking forward to in 2023? Losing weight and better financial status.
    13 Tell a random person they look "good" today—Done!
    14 Tell us three amazing things that happened recently (you decide what "recently" means...lol) 1. I got to go to TN to attend my daughter’s wedding last year, My brother from AZ came to visit us in NM, I experienced my first 5.4 earthquake in NM this past December.
    15 Call or text someone you haven't talked to in at least a week—Called my mom, and texted my 3 kids.
    16 What made you smile today—-The beautiful scenery on my morning wetlands walk.
    17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for—17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for—! Picture in spoiler

On my morning walk. You can see Captain Mountain in the background (where Billy the Kid had his hideout)
    18 What material comforts are you most thankful for? You can make your list as long as you like...heat, air conditioning, water, sewer, a roof over my head, a car, internet, electronics, clothes, shoes, medicines, food, means of cooking, refrigerator, use of a freezer, use of a washer/dryer, books, writing utensils, everything I use every day!
    19 Write a positive review for a company for goods or services you've received recently—Done!
    20 Write down five things you like about yourself. I’m tenacious, my hair color, my love of learning, my ability to mediate, my technology abilities.
    21 Pay it forward in some way—to be accomplished
    22 What do you most desire in your life right now?—Being debt free.
    23 Go an entire day without complaining—-This is going to tough!
    24 What about you makes you special? My patience
    25 Spend time with a loved one—My DH (do it every day!)
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy?
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend
    28 What fear have you overcome?
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...

RVRita
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Any readers on here use the Goodreads app? It logs the books your read, either automatically if you use a Kindle or you can add them manually. I use it both ways. It is like a social media app for readers. You can add friends then recommend or rate books you have read. You can make your additions private or not. Gives you an idea on what to read next, etc. Pretty cool app. If you have it or want me to add you, just PM me or look for me: Rita D’Elia.

RVRita
  • dlfk202000
    edited January 2023
    Options
    OMGosh Debbie, that's tough... after taking care of them for so long, not to get to say goodbye would be heartbreaking. But I can certainly see how you don't miss "caring" for them. THREE at a time! WOAH!

Wow Michele... just, wow. So sorry.

So excited! Lacy got a new job, coding. She's spent the last year-and-a half studying and taking her exam. She passed last month and started looking for a job where she could work from home. She called yesterday and told us that she'd gotten one with Fairview and would we like to go out to dinner to celebrate! WOOHOO!!!

25 Spend time with a loved one... my best friend, my husband
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy?...
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend...
    28 What fear have you overcome?...
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice...
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?...
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...

It was hard at times, a great learning experience. I had taken care of newborns often and prefer them over the school age kids(have always said, I would rather have 5 in diapers than 2 school age kids)
    I had been looking for a new family for my daycare as I had just lost one and only had the one boy.
    The triplet's mom contacted me. She had been looking. With licensing, we could only have three under age two and no other provider around had three openings- most had just one or two and she wasn't going to split them up into two different daycares. It took a while to figure out how to feed all three at once but after a while, it got easy. Set a routine, even adding in nebulizer treatments when they were needed. They were preemies 6 1/2 weeks early (3lbs3 oz, 3lbs 5oz and 4lbs-
    ak5xag3v76t9.png

Emma was the biggest at birth but a lot smaller soon after and still is). I got them on a schedule and kept them on it. Nap time was a big deal- they needed a routine and I needed a little break. As they got older, they still laid down and rested with a book or a Disney movie on, just some quiet time. Most days, even when they said they weren't tired, they fell asleep.
    The mom and I both agreed when they were 4 that it really was a lot easier to take care of them/deal with them when they were infants compared to the constant arguments between them when they were older.

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,324 Member
    Options
    Lanette - Your Prime is twice the price of ours in the UK. :o I wonder why. Hope ours doesn't go up to that level, because there is no way I can afford that!

Completely stuffed with haggis. Oouuff! :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Good morning ladies! <3

Playing a little catch up here. Warning - Long post, lol.

Debbie - oh my gosh, what cute triplets. Bet they kept you busy. Sounds like your DH has a good business going with his comic books and has an excellent eye for buying them and finding deals. I'll bet good Deli managers are hard to find and keep. At our local Safeway, seems that there's constant turnover in the deli, everyone is always new. BUT the employees do a great job, so no complaints.

I'm glad your DH had a good job and good retirement. Corporate was probably very sad so see him go, sounds like he was a dedicated employee. Hope he gets things resolved with that manager. Once we're retired, our BS meters are on a hair trigger. :D

Amazon - continues to deteriorate in my opinion. I read yesterday as of Feb. 20, they will no longer have the "smiles" program which was a great fundraiser. And, they pulled a fast one on me last weekend. I decided to finally try out Crocs, and found some evidently unpopular color at a great price so put them in my shopping cart. Got distracted, and when I went back a couple hours later to push the "purchase" button the price had gone up $3.00! That had never happened before. I'm seriously thinking of giving up the Prime - almost $150 a year now and start sourcing things locally. Even if I have to pay a dollar or two extra, I think it might be an overall savings. I see I can get Britbox and Acorn without going through Amazon. My Prime is due to renew in July. I'll check it out thoroughly before I decide - can I still get rewards if I don't have prime and so forth. I've heard they are having some financial issues and Jeff Bezos might come back.

Have a great day! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Dh has not sold many of his comic books- he has paid the service to have some graded but has just talked about selling. He has sold a few on ebay but not much. He spends a lot more than he makes on his comics/toys. He has collected toys and comics since he was a kid and most are still in perfect/unopened condition. People look at pictures in his room and ask what toy store it is.
    He needs to start selling his and his brother's collection while they are still in good shape. Son is not interested in them.
    Work is better. The store manager is being super nice to everyone right now because all employees have to fill out an evaluation on her.
    She talked to dh this morning. Like a real person ;). She wants to make sure he gets his 24hrs a week so it doesn't affect our medical. Actually listened to him when he suggested a few things to make the department run better and listened when he explained what was going on before she got transferred back there. It is making him less irritated at home which is appreciated.
    He started when he was 17yrs old, that is why he was able to "retire" so young. He has worked at just about every Safeway around, all the way down to Oakland which was a terrible commute. He retired out of the store 6min drive from our house. He wants to just work there because of that. I totally understand. When he was working full time, he was able to come home for lunch every day- an hour lunch and only 15min at most driving to/from work. He would eat a quick lunch, lay down for half an hour and then go back to work, or grab a quick shower and be refreshed to go back to finish the shift.

I saw the email about stopping the Amazon Smiles. The church didn't get a bunch but it was nice to have that available.
    Dh spends so much at Amazon, it is worth keeping Prime for him because of the free shipping. We get packages all the time. We had four just yesterday. i am sure he uses it for the movies/music too. I haven't yet. I do shop but not a lot(but do like the free shipping)

Debbie

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Lisa--Thanks for sharing the bread recipe. I have an amish cookbook and love the bread recipe in there. Been a while since I have taken the time to make some. But think I will try next weekend.
    Heather--I love the orange flowers.
    Allie--What a cute picture of Alfie. He loves so loveable.
    Went to the doctor yesterday. He did xrays of both knees and told me I have bone on bone with lots of arthritis. He injected it and said he can do that every 3 months long as it helps. But I will need double knee replacements sometime.A lot to think about and it is feeling better today. Going to take it easy and what to get back to the gym next week. Working on not letting it get me down. I am having problems dealing with being 65.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    I think I am going to head over to walk a little earlier so I can walk longer , plus maybe warm up. The living room is freezing, hands are aching from the cold while I sit here.
    Dh worked his normal midnight-8:30 am Wed. shift so, after taking care of his mom, he is home and napping.
    He doesn't have a delivery that has to be signed for today(one yesterday and one tomorrow) plus son's girlfriend is here and awake. So, I don't have to stay here.
    Ezie gets out early today so need to get over at least a half hour earlier than usual. I don't mind- I get more walking time plus actually get a parking spot not blocks away from the school. She is a lazy one and would take us forever to get to the car. All the kids at the whole school get out at the same time on Wed. The rest of the week, it is just the three kindergarten classes that get out at the same time. Parking can be bad on those days but Wed. are always worse(and when it was raining, even worse)

Have a wonderful Wednesday ladies.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca