WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,009 Member
    Options
    Lisa, can you share your recipe. I made, for the first time, a banana yeast roll recipe yesterday.
    Lots of first so wasn't perfect but has me wanting to bake more bread. The smell was amazing.
    Former hubby keeps talking about all the bread he bakes every week.
    I found I can use my pressure cooker for proofing even though mine doesn't have the yogurt button(next time I know to set my own timer because I thought I set it for 5 min but it set for 5 hours. noticed it after 20 min).Supposed to have it on warm for five minutes then turn it off, leaving the dough in until it has doubled in size.
    Another trial part was, the light on the front of the oven so I can see the temperature is very dim. DH was supposed to fix it over 6 months ago but didn't. Now the part is not available and because of the odd size we need, only one is available and is $2,000. The same exact one we have that we paid $800 for. I ordered a oven thermometer so I can just see how hot it is and no more guessing. At night, with no sun coming in the window, I can see the numbers ok, just not during the day.
    Another bit was the recipe was a video, not written, so I watched it four times to make sure I wrote everything down.

With all these little challenges, the rolls came out pretty good.

I have two more bananas ready to use so want to make another batch.

Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Went to church for the first time in two months(last time was the day before I had my little accident).
    Had a revival preacher who has been there before. He is good but ran over and then our pastor kept talking- instead of one hour it was an hour and forty minutes.

Making katsu style fried chicken today. Getting out the big old meat tenderizer to get it super tender plus makes it cook faster(and I know it is done on the inside and not over cooked on the outside).
    DH wants his for a sandwich, I want mine on salad, not sure what son and his girlfriend will want. May just make some veggies to go with it or they can have it with the left over pasta from last night.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
    Enjoying another sunny,but chilly, day.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :'(Pip I am so sorry about your camping trip <3
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Debbie,

Yeast Rolls for Sandwiches or Filled Rolls:
    Bread – full recipe (taken from Mama’s recipe)
    3 to 4 tbsp yeast in 1 cup of warm water, with pinch of sugar, proof.
    2 cups milk or buttermilk if you want tangy rolls (warm to room temp in microwave)
    2 large eggs
    2/3 cup of oil
    4 tsp salt
    1/4 cup sugar
    6 to 8 cups of flour (bread flour or all-purpose flour)
    Whisk oil, salt, sugar, milk, to get salt and sugar dissolved while yeast proofs.
    Add yeast, water mixture after it comes to a head. Add six to seven cups of flour until it becomes a big, mass, pulling away from the sides of the bowl.
    Let it knead in the bowl for ten minutes, pull out onto a board/countertop with enough flour to make it not stick, form into a smooth ball. Clean and oil the mixing bowl, add a bit of oil to keep bread from sticking, put the dough back in it, put it in a warm place, covered with plastic wrap, until dough doubles.
    Punch down the dough, form rolls or loaves, let them rise ‘til double.
    Bake in 375 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until brown, for rolls. Loaves need to be in for as much as 30 minutes. Cover with foil if they get too brown.

Half-recipe (makes about 15 rolls).
    2 tablespoons of yeast (or 1 packet-ish) with pinch of sugar in 1/2 cup water.
    1 cup milk or buttermilk
    1/3 cup of oil
    1/8 cup sugar
    2 tsp salt
    1 cup of wheat bran (optional)
    3 to 4 cups of flour

For filled rolls, when it comes to time to shape them, flatten roll dough into a small disk, put filling in the middle, gather the dough up over the filling, pinch all edges together, and turn the pinched edges to the underside, let rise, bake the same as with the regular rolls. Fillings can be ham and cheese, pepperoni and mozzarella.

I tend to use the half recipe, and it is more than Corey and I can use in two weeks... Enjoy!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Did a DVD for the rebounder today. Just bowling tomorrow and I hope to get out to walk some. Went to WalMart because Vince saw that the Girl Scouts were selling their cookies there today. But they weren’t there. I’m guessing because it’s cold (well, for here, I think it’s in the 40’s) and rainy

Karen VA – (((HUG))) Love Lillybell’s smile

pip – so sorry about your camping trip.

Not much happening.

Michele NC
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Debbie,

Yeast Rolls for Sandwiches or Filled Rolls:
    Bread – full recipe (taken from Mama’s recipe)
    3 to 4 tbsp yeast in 1 cup of warm water, with pinch of sugar, proof.
    2 cups milk or buttermilk if you want tangy rolls (warm to room temp in microwave)
    2 large eggs
    2/3 cup of oil
    4 tsp salt
    1/4 cup sugar
    6 to 8 cups of flour (bread flour or all-purpose flour)
    Whisk oil, salt, sugar, milk, to get salt and sugar dissolved while yeast proofs.
    Add yeast, water mixture after it comes to a head. Add six to seven cups of flour until it becomes a big, mass, pulling away from the sides of the bowl.
    Let it knead in the bowl for ten minutes, pull out onto a board/countertop with enough flour to make it not stick, form into a smooth ball. Clean and oil the mixing bowl, add a bit of oil to keep bread from sticking, put the dough back in it, put it in a warm place, covered with plastic wrap, until dough doubles.
    Punch down the dough, form rolls or loaves, let them rise ‘til double.
    Bake in 375 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until brown, for rolls. Loaves need to be in for as much as 30 minutes. Cover with foil if they get too brown.

Half-recipe (makes about 15 rolls).
    2 tablespoons of yeast (or 1 packet-ish) with pinch of sugar in 1/2 cup water.
    1 cup milk or buttermilk
    1/3 cup of oil
    1/8 cup sugar
    2 tsp salt
    1 cup of wheat bran (optional)
    3 to 4 cups of flour

For filled rolls, when it comes to time to shape them, flatten roll dough into a small disk, put filling in the middle, gather the dough up over the filling, pinch all edges together, and turn the pinched edges to the underside, let rise, bake the same as with the regular rolls. Fillings can be ham and cheese, pepperoni and mozzarella.

I tend to use the half recipe, and it is more than Corey and I can use in two weeks... Enjoy!

Thanks- I just printed it out. Look forward to trying it.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I spent time with DH today and had dinner with friends, several who are retired teachers, like me. 😊
  • kymarai
    Options
    :)
    Pip Hugs!

Well, I was kind of productive. Basically did paperwork for 9 hours for work. I am almost, almost, caught up with invoicing. Did make chili for dinner. DH cleaned up dishes. He and SIL cleared up our driveway. DH and I went to shop and plowed the lot and behind the gate for deliveries tomorrow.

Time for bed. Nice quiet day!
    <3
    Kylia in winter wonderland Ohio

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,875 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    KJLaMore wrote: »

I talked to DH today, about a goal I have to be able to have a "teacher's" schedule, and have summers off. We looked at the projected finances and decided that we can make this happen by the time I hit 60. That is only four years away! Whoot! I can live with that. Well, the sun is coming up and my day needs to start. Sending love and hugs to all of you who need it!
    ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

I have had a talk with my dh and told him my plans. My one daycare girl will start 1st grade in the middle of Aug. She will be going to school all day then so I would only have her about an hour 3 days a week and 2 hours the other day. That is not worth it for me to be tied down. I will be dropping her then. They can have her in the after school program or her grandparents can just pick her up a little earlier than they have been. I plan on taking the rest of the year off(available as a back up for her if needed) and enjoy the holidays then look for a new family after the first of the year. This way, I still get the tax write off which is the only reason I am still doing the daycare. Get one part time baby for another year then be totally done. I will be 61 in March. I have been either teaching preschool or doing daycare for the past 40 yrs. Dh has decided to cut back and only work one morning a week. Time for me to get some time off.

Debbie

Your DH is at retirement age?

Here, my age group's retirement age is 67 years old and I can't access the government pension till then. Then when I get there, it's recommended to keep working part-time, up to a certain amount like maybe 1-2 days a week, to maximise payments.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options
    1 Sit in silence for three minutes... it's harder than you think. Does silently working in the garden count? Done! I sat silently for 7 minutes and prayed.

2 List 5 things using each of your senses. Right now? I can see my Christmas decorations, I can hear Christmas songs, I can taste my coffee, I can smell my coffee, and I can feel a comfortable temperature in the room.

3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house. I'm not in a downsizing or reducing mode so I've taken some lunch things to work, I will take an item to be mailed and another to be given to the people at work.

4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever). I can't tell you what my favourite Christmas gift this year is yet. It's a secret.

5 Move for at least 30 minutes today. Absolutely. It's a very rare day that I don't.

6 Share a goal you achieved last year. We completed the longest bicycle ride since my husband's accident and the fastest.

7 Slow down and savor one meal today. Mmmm ... pizza!

8 Who was your favorite teacher. My father. :):) But I've had quite a few good teachers, in addition to him, over the years.

9 Create something today. I finished creating my first work-related project plan today.

10 What is your favorite lyric from a song. Difficult one given that I like so much music. But let's go with: "A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices"

11 Send a card/note to someone today. Do emails count?

12 What are you looking forward to in 2023? Can't tell you that! It's a secret ... same secret as my favourite Christmas gift. :)

13 Tell a random person they look "good" today. It's a bit late in the day to read this and didn't meet too many random people today ... or people in general. But I smiled at some horses and told Rhody he's gorgeous.

14 Tell us three amazing things that happened recently (you decide what "recently" means...lol)
    One is a secret ... I should be able to tell you by the end of the month.
    My skin cancer surgery went better than expected and all my margins are clear.
    I've been able to hold my granddaughter.

15 Call or text someone you haven't talked to in at least a week. Well, I did email a couple people yesterday. :)

16 What made you smile today. Do you mean like evil laughter?? :naughty: Or a happy smile? :smiley:
    Happy would be big fresh strawberries from our plants and my colouring book. I'm colouring little rainbows right now.

17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for
    Our garden

18 What material comforts are you most thankful for? You can make your list as long as you like...
    House
    Bed
    Comfy PJs
    My Chair
    Food

19 Write a positive review for a company for goods or services you've received recently.
    I have been going to my optometrist and optical shop for several years now. I went there again today and again I was very happy with with their service.

20 Write down five things you like about yourself
    In no particular order ...
    My hair
    My eyes
    My legs
    My hands
    My brain

21 Pay it forward in some way .... ummm ... well, I smiled and thanked a number of people today.

22 What do you most desire in your life right now? That's my own personal, unpublicised desire.

23 Go an entire day without complaining. Today wasn't the day for that. :) Got together with some friends from my former workplace. I haven't seen them in a couple months so we caught up. Is it complaining if I update friends with the way the insurance company has been treating us?

24 What about you makes you special?
    25 Spend time with a loved one
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy?
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend
    28 What fear have you overcome?
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...

Machka in Oz

• kymarai
    Options
    B)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,781 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Im over with Miles and will be here will him this morning.. he is real cranky this morning.those molars are a bugger..
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    HAPPY MONDAY!

Carol in GA