WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Any readers on here use the Goodreads app? It logs the books your read, either automatically if you use a Kindle or you can add them manually. I use it both ways. It is like a social media app for readers. You can add friends then recommend or rate books you have read. You can make your additions private or not. Gives you an idea on what to read next, etc. Pretty cool app. If you have it or want me to add you, just PM me or look for me: Rita D’Elia.

RVRita

Someone else recommended it to me recently too.

I've been logging my books in a draft email, but I missed a bunch recently.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Have you ever found that when you have a problem, or something on your mind, all kinds of things pop up to help you? Today I have been helped by posts on Instagram, by podcasts, which seem exactly tailored to my current anxiety. I am so grateful. :)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

With my tablet, I can mention to my middle sister about the importance of keeping her skin and hair clean in private chat in Facebook messenger, and my Facebook feed is filled with products that help with that. Its pretty creepy! So you phone and computer listens and makes note of what you say or click "like".
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

There are ways to reduce the link between what you type into your computer (in emails, google, FB, on this forum, etc.) and what appears in your ads etc. :)

It's all algorithms based on your input and settings.

M in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    pip - Please stop beating yourself up, stuff happens, sometimes it just seems like it's always happening when you are part of it, but really it's more random than that. take care have a great camping trip. You are a great friend to all of us, a great Mom to the pups, and a great wife... who really cares if garage doors are not your thing!

smiles kim in N. California

Thx for all your kind words, I don’t know how to not beat myself up I guess.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Morning peeps- I see a few women counting their steps, I’ve never kept track of them and keep forgetting to log them. When I do notice, it’s usually over 15k each day, due to walking the 6 miles no doubt. Well .we take off this morning. Wish me luck , hoping I don’t f$&*k something else up

This is a Step - Distance - Calories calculator

https://www.thecalculatorsite.com/health/steps-km.php

According to it, 10,000 steps is 7 km (for me, at my height).

My longish lunch walks are about 5 km which is 7100 steps. I do another kilometer as part of my commute plus walking around the office and climbing stairs, plus walking Rhody when I get home, plus walking around the house doing housework etc.

Have a great trip!!

Machka in Oz

I use my Apple Watch to see my steps
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Michele - I bought a pair of Birkenstocks last year and found the best deal on the Birkenstocks web page.

Amazon is fine, but I always check the direct web page as often I find the items are cheaper, or shipping is cheaper, and there often is a sale section with discontinued models.

Kim in N. California
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    M – thanks so much for that calculator.

Kim – I’ve found my shoes, but the problem seems to be that they don’t have the color I want in my size. Trust me, I’ve looked at almost every site, and it seems that no one has my size in the color I want

Michele NC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,891 Member
    Options
    <3
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,391 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Good morning/afternoon/evening. It’s amazing to think that we can be instantly connected across the globe. Wishing you all that you need today.

Just sitting here watching the glow in the eastern sky gradually brighten. Days are noticeably longer as Spring begins to reawaken.

There is much to be thankful for.

Intentions for today:
    ♦️declutter writing space
    ♦️general chores
    ♦️sort out hall rents for my groups
    ♦️monthly meeting after lunch; pay rents
    ♦️solid habits

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for all those those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

• Machka9
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Got a nice walk in today. :)

rgolxjdm3d2c.png

5.6 km/h
    7388 steps, apparently
    https://www.thecalculatorsite.com/health/km-steps.php

Machka in Oz
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Regarding Sick Days-in the US, that is really dependent upon each company.
    Family Medical Leave is required covered time (does not have to be paid time) and you have to be employed in a certain size company for 12 months. The specially covered circumstances due to Covid have been sunset. We have removed employees for excessive absence when they first start (while on probation). I usually will ask for medical verification if they move beyond a day or so. I also look at how flu, etc, is running around. The problem with medical documentation is, it can be very easy to get if you go to the right doc. People should always check with the HR department for the specific rules

Pip-it is very hard to keep from beating ourselves up. I am usually ready to take the blame for anything and everything. I find having a couple of people who give me fair feedback helps me get out of it.

Amazon-I use it and other online sources-very little in terms of shopping options in my town and I don't always feel like traveling an hour or so to check out multiple stores.

Made it through snow yesterday without much hassle. We ended up with 3-4 inches in my part of county-other parts less. There were quite a few slide off accidents due to rain, freeze, snow. Will see how they are today-may be a bit more snow.

I agree with consensus-more light is better! Each day a few minutes more of sunlight.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Regarding Sick Days-in the US, that is really dependent upon each company.
    Family Medical Leave is required covered time (does not have to be paid time) and you have to be employed in a certain size company for 12 months. The specially covered circumstances due to Covid have been sunset. We have removed employees for excessive absence when they first start (while on probation). I usually will ask for medical verification if they move beyond a day or so. I also look at how flu, etc, is running around. The problem with medical documentation is, it can be very easy to get if you go to the right doc. People should always check with the HR department for the specific rules

In Australia, it is very easy to get a medical certificate from a doctor. Most doctors say, "yep, you've got a cold (or whatever), here's a medical certificate for 3 days, will that be enough or would you like an additional day or two?

ginnytez wrote: »
    I agree with consensus-more light is better! Each day a few minutes more of sunlight.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

Fortunately we've got quite a bit of light here still, but if I think about it, it is a little sad that we're on the side of losing light now. I try not to think about it.

M in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    Options
    Yes, light noticeably improving. :)
    I always find January goes by in a flash and then it's February and the spring flowers are beginning to appear. I love early spring. Love seeing the shoots pushing up and life returning.

I'm meeting my friend G for lunch at Petis Pois. I normally meet her at the station, but our buses are on diversion with roadworks, so it's easier to meet at the restaurant. It's the first time she has been there. They do a reduced price lunch deal. :D

DH is going to cook dinner. <3 His signature chicken stew.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    Machka- I think yesterday was that kind of day. I had NO energy. Migraine and call from doctor didn't help. But really was an off day. Great job on presenting your project.

Lanette I am barefoot more often than not! I love heels but at the same time am quite content to be barefoot. I have had folks tell me I am wearing the wrong shoes when I am not wearing "running shoes" but my toes are so long and foot short, so the arches don't hit right. Just simple flat tennis shoes or sandals are my go to if I can't be barefoot. There is enough country in me! ;) Good news on your Toro!

Debbie I do wonder sometimes what has become of some of my childcare kiddos. That was a lifetime and preinternet time though.

Annie I love that you are a great cheerleader for yourself! Stay proud of those accomplishments!

Pip Safe travels!

Heather UK Love the flowers! They look happy with a touch of freedom!

Beth Thoughts for fast recovery for DH and that the rest of the family stays healthy.

Have caught back up but now have to get ready for work (leave in 15 minutes and still lying in bed)

Have an awesome day!

Much love!
    Kylia in Ohio where we missed snowmaggedon but not the cold temps!
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy?... absolute joy, when my grandson Hunter was born... I was right there, totally amazing!
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend...
    28 What fear have you overcome?...
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice...
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?...
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...
  • Machka9
    edited January 2023
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Machka- I think yesterday was that kind of day. I had NO energy. Migraine and call from doctor didn't help. But really was an off day. Great job on presenting your project.

Lanette I am barefoot more often than not! I love heels but at the same time am quite content to be barefoot. I have had folks tell me I am wearing the wrong shoes when I am not wearing "running shoes" but my toes are so long and foot short, so the arches don't hit right. Just simple flat tennis shoes or sandals are my go to if I can't be barefoot. There is enough country in me! ;) Good news on your Toro!

Debbie I do wonder sometimes what has become of some of my childcare kiddos. That was a lifetime and preinternet time though.

Annie I love that you are a great cheerleader for yourself! Stay proud of those accomplishments!

Pip Safe travels!

Heather UK Love the flowers! They look happy with a touch of freedom!

Beth Thoughts for fast recovery for DH and that the rest of the family stays healthy.

Have caught back up but now have to get ready for work (leave in 15 minutes and still lying in bed)

Have an awesome day!

Much love!
    Kylia in Ohio where we missed snowmaggedon but not the cold temps!

Thanks!

I had all kinds of energy before and in the presentation but the moment I walked out of the room, I could have curled up under my desk and gone to sleep.

The walk instead helped some.

Today has been more relaxing.

I also go barefoot much of the time ... especially since I moved to Australia. It's often more comfortable than wearing shoes.

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Here with Mr Miles
    He is napping.. not much interesting going on.Just waiting for paperwork to come in to get my taxes done..