WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    1 Sit in silence for three minutes... it's harder than you think. Does silently working in the garden count? Done! I sat silently for 7 minutes and prayed.

2 List 5 things using each of your senses. Right now? I can see my Christmas decorations, I can hear Christmas songs, I can taste my coffee, I can smell my coffee, and I can feel a comfortable temperature in the room.

3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house. I'm not in a downsizing or reducing mode so I've taken some lunch things to work, I will take an item to be mailed and another to be given to the people at work.

4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever). I can't tell you what my favourite Christmas gift this year is yet. It's a secret.

5 Move for at least 30 minutes today. Absolutely. It's a very rare day that I don't.

6 Share a goal you achieved last year. We completed the longest bicycle ride since my husband's accident and the fastest.

7 Slow down and savor one meal today. Mmmm ... pizza!

8 Who was your favorite teacher. My father. :):) But I've had quite a few good teachers, in addition to him, over the years.

9 Create something today. I finished creating my first work-related project plan today.

10 What is your favorite lyric from a song. Difficult one given that I like so much music. But let's go with: "A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices"

11 Send a card/note to someone today. Do emails count?

12 What are you looking forward to in 2023? Can't tell you that! It's a secret ... same secret as my favourite Christmas gift. :)

13 Tell a random person they look "good" today. It's a bit late in the day to read this and didn't meet too many random people today ... or people in general. But I smiled at some horses and told Rhody he's gorgeous.

14 Tell us three amazing things that happened recently (you decide what "recently" means...lol)
    One is a secret ... I should be able to tell you by the end of the month.
    My skin cancer surgery went better than expected and all my margins are clear.
    I've been able to hold my granddaughter.

15 Call or text someone you haven't talked to in at least a week. Well, I did email a couple people yesterday. :)

16 What made you smile today. Do you mean like evil laughter?? :naughty: Or a happy smile? :smiley:
    Happy would be big fresh strawberries from our plants and my colouring book. I'm colouring little rainbows right now.

17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for
    Our garden

18 What material comforts are you most thankful for? You can make your list as long as you like...
    House
    Bed
    Comfy PJs
    My Chair
    Food

19 Write a positive review for a company for goods or services you've received recently.
    I have been going to my optometrist and optical shop for several years now. I went there again today and again I was very happy with with their service.

20 Write down five things you like about yourself
    In no particular order ...
    My hair
    My eyes
    My legs
    My hands
    My brain

21 Pay it forward in some way .... ummm ... well, I smiled and thanked a number of people today.

22 What do you most desire in your life right now? That's my own personal, unpublicised desire.

23 Go an entire day without complaining. Today wasn't the day for that. :) Got together with some friends from my former workplace. I haven't seen them in a couple months so we caught up. Is it complaining if I update friends with the way the insurance company has been treating us?

24 What about you makes you special? Tenacity and determination

25 Spend time with a loved one. Every evening!

26 When was the last time you felt pure joy? I don't know if I've ever felt pure joy. What is pure joy?

I struggle with feeling anything more than content. First, the medication I have been on for the past 5 years doesn't let me. Second, I fear it ... I feel like if I feel if I feel really happy/excited about something, something really bad is going to happen.

I made the mistake of feeling happy about my husband's promotion to General Manager ... 6 months later he had a workplace accident which resulted in a permanent severe brain injury.

I try not to make that mistake anymore.

27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend. Well I did help get our bicycles back inside today.

Most doors here have fly strips that we walk through.

28 What fear have you overcome?
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    M For me pure joy is found in the small moments of life talking with a salesclerk about day to day things and finding that spark where we both leave with a laugh or a smile. Taking a nap with DrewB where she falls asleep on top of me. Working with a student when they have a break through moment. Singing and letting the joy of the music transcend through me. Working on a piece of art and getting into the zone where I let the paint and brush speak for me so that it touches my soul. These are examples where I find joy.

Joy for me is finding my golden nuggets that connects me to my spirit. It will be different for each of us. For some of us it is the smile of our grandchild... the cuddles with our pets...our loved or ourselves making a breakthrough with an illness...working through a difficult situation and not giving up... Waking up and witnessing a beautiful sunset...Visiting a luscious garden...Being a witness as a young women describes surviving severe Covid and learning to work with God in her life instead of asking why me and making the changes she needs to make to make her life work the best she can by this story what a joy to be touched by her story.

Many years ago as part of an assignment we were to come up with a definition of what art is to you.

My response is Art is creating by touching a soul. When I view or create a work of art and it touches my soul I become one with the art. Joy for me is similar. When something touches me at that level that I feel the love that is joy and I become one with it.

:heart: Margaret

I suppose I felt something like that holding my granddaughter.

Oxytocin was released then.

"Research shows that when a grandparent holds a grandchild for the first time they are flooded with oxytocin, the “love hormone,” just as a new mother is when nursing."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/psychoanalysis-unplugged/201906/three-secrets-being-the-best-grandparent

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    Machka - Bravo! 100 km is a wonderful achievement for you both and a sign of the dedication you have put in to your husband's recovery.

Michael Pollan was on Desert Island Discs today while we were doing our exercises. BBC4 on Sounds. He's the guy who coined the phrase, "Eat food, not too much, mainly plants." Very much into the social bond of sharing a table. :D Vegetable gardening enthusiast.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Beth-good luck with the dog! We had a large German shepherd who was very challenging-he never was properly trained.

Sue-congrats on 13 pounds-that is terrific!

Margaret-found your thoughts to be a wonderful way to start my day.

Pipyour camping set up is something else! I might be able to camp with such a set up.

Karen-thanks for sharing that self-reflection. I don't consider that a whine-shows tremendous willingness to continue to grow. Good luck with your son-but remember-you can't change him anymore than you could your ex.

Machka-had to convert the km to miles-very impressive!

Rebecca-you come across so outgoing I wouldn't think it would be difficult for you-good job widening your circle-I need to focus on that.

Annie-keep exercising away!

Kylia-good job helping friend. I have been struggling with that issue with quit smoking gain (4 lbs of it gone!). I am packing some stuff out of closet to start moving sort. I also figure I don't need it in my face and taking up space-but will put in bins to access. Much of the stuff is work clothes which hopefully I don't need later this year.

Working from home today so will go change out of nightgown and into sweat pants. Doing spreadsheet and salary projects for next few year for union negotiations. Hard to make people see if you aren't a profit organization funds are limited.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,047 Member
    Options
    Machka 100 km Yay! You are so impressive!

Annie in Delaware
  • Anniesquats100
    Options
    Rebecca excellent job making friends! I wish I could do that. Seems like I only leave the house for groceries and horseback riding on most weeks.

Before Covid, I was a member of a coffee group but they disbanded. I joined a casual hiking group on meetup but their hikes are always full when they post. I joined a group of ladies who lunch, but they disbanded due to an alcoholic. I tried a knitting group and a writing group too. I guess it's time to look around and join some more. Maybe a caregivers group.

Annie in Delaware

• Anniesquats100
    Options
    Thank you Lisa that is uplifting for me. I think I do it all, which may balance my other risk factors: family history and head injury.

Annie in Delaware
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,553 Member
    Options
    :)Machka, 100 k is impressive.

My brain is still in miles, 62.14 miles is an awesome ride. Congrats

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

Gratitude list
    Word of the year: APPRECIATE—- Today I appreciate my husband’s cooking.

1 Sit in silence for three minutes... it's harder than you think—DONE
    2 List 5 things using each of your senses——DONE
    3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house—tossed Christmas card I had collected
    4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever)—This year was jewelry from my ‘adopted’ granddaughter.
    5 Move for at least 30 minutes today—-Done plus #1 again!
    6 Share a goal you achieved last year—-Bringing my car to the car wash one or more times a month!
    7 Slow down and savor one meal today—-Breakfast-savored the texture of my OUI yogurt versus the granola I added.
    8 Who was your favorite teacher—My French teacher in High School. Sister Jeannette
    9 Create something today—-I will work on my crochet - making a granny square afghan out of left over yarn.
    10 What is your favorite lyric from a song—Against the wind, We were running against the wind. We were young and strong, we were running against the wind.
    11 Send a card/note to someone today—Done! Note to DH and card for Uncle’s birthday.
    12 What are you looking forward to in 2023? Losing weight and better financial status.
    13 Tell a random person they look "good" today—Done!
    14 Tell us three amazing things that happened recently (you decide what "recently" means...lol) 1. I got to go to TN to attend my daughter’s wedding last year, My brother from AZ came to visit us in NM, I experienced my first 5.4 earthquake in NM this past December.
    15 Call or text someone you haven't talked to in at least a week—Called my mom, and texted my 3 kids.
    16 What made you smile today—-The beautiful scenery on my morning wetlands walk.
    17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for—17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for—! Picture in spoiler

On my morning walk. You can see Captain Mountain in the background (where Billy the Kid had his hideout)
    18 What material comforts are you most thankful for? You can make your list as long as you like...heat, air conditioning, water, sewer, a roof over my head, a car, internet, electronics, clothes, shoes, medicines, food, means of cooking, refrigerator, use of a freezer, use of a washer/dryer, books, writing utensils, everything I use every day!
    19 Write a positive review for a company for goods or services you've received recently—Done!
    20 Write down five things you like about yourself. I’m tenacious, my hair color, my love of learning, my ability to mediate, my technology abilities.
    21 Pay it forward in some way—to be accomplished
    22 What do you most desire in your life right now?—Being debt free.
    23 Go an entire day without complaining—-This is going to tough!
    24 What about you makes you special? My patience
    25 Spend time with a loved one—My DH (do it every day!)
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy? When my babies were born.
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend - This is something I do often
    28 What fear have you overcome?
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...

RVRita
  • Anniesquats100
    Options
    Tina sorry to hear about your eye problem. Hope it settles down soon.

I did the two mile aerobic walk video for the third time this week! Yay! My knee feels a little tight though. I need a break before my afternoon errands. I'm running late today but that just means my allotted calories last longer.

Lunchtime! Yay!

Annie in Delaware