WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,341 Member
    Options
    Worked today then had the soup kitchen. Lector at church tomorrow

Last night when I took a shower the water was just warm, not hot like it sometimes gets and I have to back the water down. Seems that there is a leak in the hot water heater. Good news is that they’ll have one Monday. Bad news is that it’ll cost around $3,000.

Rebecca – your soup reminded me that I had soup tonight with shirataki (thanks Heather for the tip)

M – congrats on the ride! And you can keep the lizards

Brigit – welcome back

Allie – so sorry for Carolyn’s family. 30 is so young

Remember when we had the faucet in the kitchen replaced? Well, I went to put everything back under the sink and felt a spot that was wet. What we determined was that the seal around the faucet’s arm (the part where if you turn it left the hot water comes out and if you turn it right the cold water comes out) isn’t tight so every time I turn the faucet on, a little water leaks out and then drips down under the sink. <sigh> Looks like I’ll have to take everything out from under the sink again to have the guy fix this.

Lisa – I do 5 of those 6 things. I don’t think I would say that I play mahjongg twice a week, but I do enjoy it when I do play

Tina – so sorry to hear about your eye. Hope it heals fast for you

Barbara – I have no idea if I’ll have to pay customs for the Birkenstocks or not. As far as the zipper – I couldn’t help thinking “why in the world would you replace something that isn’t broken?”

It was cold today (well, cold for NC) in the 40’s. On the good side, tho, it’s supposed to be getting warmer the next few days.

Lisa – I’m with you, pizza just doesn’t do it for me. At least give me a salad

Beth – yea for your mother but boo for you. Let’s hope it’s short.

Michele NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,698 Member
    Options
    Well im ready for bed..
    Watched 2 movies
    On Golden Pond,and Fried Green Tomatoes
    Very good and enjoyed them..
    Colonoscopies ive had 3 - 5 yrs apart. Think i had 1 polyp and that was taking care of the first time,the others clean as a whistle
    Last one I got done after my dad passed of colon cancer of course he never had a colonoscopy.. but I try and keep up with the things that need to be kept up with.
    And I have to have mine done in the hospital because of heart issues ..oh well.the prep is worse than the procedure.. it beats the alternative.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    In the Washington Post today, a new study found that subjects who did four to six of the actions in this list were most likely to slow dementia,

Physical exercise: Doing at least 150 minutes of moderate or 75 minutes of vigorous activity per week.
    Diet: Eating appropriate daily amounts of at least seven of 12 food items (fruits, vegetables, fish, meat, dairy products, salt, oil, eggs, cereals, legumes, nuts and tea).
    Alcohol: Never drink or drink occasionally.
    Smoking: Never smoke, or being a former smoker.
    Cognitive activity: Exercising the brain at least twice a week (by reading and playing cards or mah-jongg, for example).
    Social contact: Engaging with others at least twice a week (by attending community meetings or visiting friends or relatives, for example).

I think most of us are doing most of those things, because of something so many of us feel is true... that what we're doing here is not a diet; it's an overall life change that incorporates diet along with many other action choices. The study found these factors slow the onset of dementia, even if the study subject had the gene APOE, which has been correlated with Alzheimers.

Lots of optimism there for all of us.

Love,
    Lisa in AR

:)

Physical exercise: I aim for 1 hour a day. I don't always get there, but I aim.
    Diet: Love fruit, veggies, cereals. And I try to include some of the others in there as well.
    Alcohol: I started drinking a little bit in my late 20s, but never very much and stopped at 51.
    Smoking: Never have
    Cognitive: My work is good for that! Plus I read, do Sudokus etc.
    Social: Mostly my work

:)

Machka in Oz

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Barbie what brand of rain coat/jacket do you use? My decades old LLBean pink slicker (in profile pic) now leaks at the seams despite re-treating with Granger’s, and my less old Lands End rain jacket has stains that won’t come out.
    Allie pics of Alfie are every bit as heart lifting as pics of Myles. Thank you!
    Beth SMH at your son’s new management. Do they really want workers to come in sick and spread it to healthy employees? You-know-what for brains. :astonished:
    Debbie your comment about the manager’s impending evaluation made me laugh!
    Maybe she should be on a quarterly evaluation schedule ;)
    Vicki hate hearing about your knees. Would your MD consider PT a possibilty to postpone replacements?
    Sue fingers X’d for favorable lab results and cardiologist appointment.
    Rebecca not just your phone and your computer, but any voice activated (Alexa,Siri,Hey Google) device. That’s why we don’t have one. And I only do banking on my network cable connected laptop with the wireless radio disabled. Call me paranoid… And Yes! To the tropical spa play group! Great Idea Ms Assistant Spicy Nugget!
    Annie, well done!
    Michele how disappointing about the zipper repair! Will you have to pay customs duties on the Birkenstocks from Germany?

Yesterday did 4 loads of laundry. Was reminded how much I enjoy folding laundry warm and soft from the drier. You gals who prefer stiff, cold, line-dried textures are
    T O U G H!

Only through pg 75 but seizing the moment to get the dogs outside before the temp drops any further and the wind kicks up any stronger.

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer.
    January: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.

My tablet has no financial info on it. I do not have my debit card attached to it, nor do I buy anything from it. So having Alexa help me with my spelling now and then seems fine..😁
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Michele: I couldn't get out to shop for my son's wedding and I had outfits and shoes delivered. I drove myself crazy with returns. I did keep a couple of pairs of the shoes!

Katla: It is great your husband has an interest in GunSmoke and the Westerns! Gives him something to do each day and to look forward to!

Terri: I also keep a to do list. I love checking off the boxes!

Heather: Spring is the time for flowers in Middle GA. Summer is too hot!

Annie: I can still do a few mountain climbers but the burpees are too much!

Margaret: Beautifully written about Joy

Carol: We get LIzards in our house as well. Have you read the poem: Dust IF You Must. This is a popular poem and can be googled. I have this poem hung in my kitchen!

Beth: Sounds like you and Cecil are doing okay together.

Kylia: I am thinking about the deer and the snow!

Annie: I daydream about whether I will stay in middle GA or move in the future. I am conflicted about it.

Rebecca: Congrats on putting yourself out there. I like the idea of talking to a new person every day. I think I will try this.

MachKa: Congrats on the bike ride!

Brigit42: Welcome

Tina: I am sorry about your eye. Is there something there that could be drained. Do you need an antibiotic?

Beth: I hope you have a mild case of Covid.

Going along well here. I am enjoying having the Granddog. We did get out of the house today and went and walked on a college campus where there was a pond and ducks. It was a lovely day. Also I had extra long boxes containing extra hardwood pieces in my bedroom waiting to go into storage. Today I had the man who cuts the grass make room in the storage for the boxes and it took him all of 15 minutes to do it! My morale is up having those boxes out of my bedroom!

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia

Even if its at the grocery store every new interaction is a step outside your comfort bubble. On the days when I play the piano out in public, I am good mentally for a week. The mere fact that the gal thought the piano music was piped in music, but no it was ME, that was the best compliment!🤗💖👍🏻
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    My luncheon with my friend went well. Though she arrived at 1:30 and had to leave at 4pm, it was fun. She loved my soup, and she brought sourdough bread for us to have and for me to keep. I'm thinking of making French toast with it this weekend. With a marionberry compote over (mine).

My new group Whidbey Geeky Chicks, is having a tea party in February. Its at a gals home, and we're supposed to bring something to share to eat. I might buy blueberry scones mix and make with a nice milk, vanilla and powdered sugar drizzle. We are making little glass jar tea lights with dried flowers on them. I talked with the gal organizing it, and will donate my 6 glass OUI yogurt jars.😁. Yes I can use them for mousse' but I also have my plastic yogurt cups that are easier to fill. 👍🏻 I sent the groups name to my friend I had lunch with today, so hopefully she'll join and can come.🤗. When my friend left, we hugged. I said, "lets hug long time, even past that awkward " its too long" moment!!!! We giggled like we've been friends all our lives.

I ate another bowl of soup this evening. It was heavenly! Shrimp, kielbasa sausage, potatoes, onion, mushrooms, butter, spices, and chicken stock. I gave her half of my oatmeal cookies for her husband. Found out she can't have oatmeal. Awe well.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Beth- so sorry you got it- REST UP!!! that was the biggest thing for me.

Walked the wetlands, a bit cool at first but ended up with my jacket around my waist, wearing my t-shirt and just comfortable.

made veggie beef soup for lunch using the left over short ribs I cooked in the pressure cooker last night, the rest of the jar of salsa, a can of mixed veggies and a diced potato. Was nice and filling and low cal.
    Not sure what I will do for dinner- didn't have lunch until 2:30pm- ("breakfast" was two mini babybel cheese and 3 dried dates). Only at about 300 cal for the day.

Going back to Zumba on Monday- looking forward to it.
    My walking friend wants to join a local gym and wants me to think about joining too- I am going to look into it. Need to see if the price she quoted includes the classes or not- she said yes, dh looked at it and says no.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,487 Member
    Options
    Welcome back @Brigit42!
    Sue well done on the weight AND being able to stay off the statins. Safe travels.
    Beth sorry your son and DH let Cecil down on the training. You’re right the invisible fence is zero protection from predators like that aggressive dog. I like Michele’s treat training tip but have never managed to be consistent enough with Tumble. I’m still working on “calm” with both Tumble and Shadow. Joe likes to get them worked up for a high energy greeting when he comes home. I’m the exact opposite. Don’t want them squealing, jumping, tussling, want them to sit calmly and look at me expectantly. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, but they don’t get the ‘welcome home Mama!’ cookie until both are lying down and paying attention. One area where we’ve made progress is they both must be sitting and “wait”ing for the “break” signal to go out through the door. Glad Cecil is coming to understand that you are the Alpha Queen of the House! Sorry to hear you got Covid, hope it’s mild and passes quickly with no after effects.
    Carol bless you for caring for that little lizard. I would not be so calm about a reptile in my house, and would be setting a humane mouse trap with hamburger in it so he could be relocated outside. :laugh: Ah I see you already caught/relocated him. That basement sounds scary!
    Pip :love: the camping pics, especially the pups in the bunks.
    Margaret “everyday things” yes this. Just noticing and being thankful lifts my spirits.
    Kylia I kept a few work suits/blazers for church, the rest were donated and I don’t miss ‘em.
    Karen in VA, what a liberating realization. Hope your ex is able to join you in the conversation with your son.
    Machka what a glorious, no-time-limits ride. Hooray! The mental image I got of walking through doorway fly strips was probably not what you mean. ;)
    Annie a care givers group sounds like just the ticket.
    Lisa thank you for that list. It both comforts me and encourages me to do better. Ditto yours to Kylia.
    Tina if something worsens after a month of recommended treatment, maybe it’s time for a second opinion?
    Rebecca Lizard in the shower? :astonished::noway: :sick:
    Thanks Barbie. Will look at LL Bean again.
    Katla thanks for the Columbia recommendation, that’s where I got my rain pants, so why didn’t I think of them?
    Michele hope that water heater leak didn’t damage your floors.
    Rosemarie thank you for the “Dust if you Must” poem.

Tina’s “food is too expensive to eat diet” is becoming popular here too. Just paid $6 for a little basket of cherry tomatoes. When I read Debbie’s posts about her shopping options I REALLY miss living in the Bay Area.

Prayers continue for Tracey on her sad journey and hope she’s able to be with her mom.

There, finally caught up with, for the moment :laugh:
    Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer.
    January: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Lizards-They eat ants and other insects! I love them and we actually shoo the neighborhood cats away when they try to catch them.

Have a great weekend, All!

Tina in CA

Rhody chases them outside too. Sometimes he'll get a tail, which comes off and regrows, and a few times he's caught a lizard, but we encourage him to drop it.

They are good to have around, and they're cute too ... so we don't want him destroying the population.

kqkhar2803tc.png

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited January 2023
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka what a glorious, no-time-limits ride. Hooray! The mental image I got of walking through doorway fly strips was probably not what you mean. ;)
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD

Like this ... many shops will have them so air can circulate but fewer flies get in. Sometimes one person will hold it aside for another person, but most of the time we just push through.

elh4z25h0g79.png

M in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,090 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    It’s a bright, but cold Saturday morning.

Also thinking of Tracey, and hoping she is coping.

Intentions for today:
    ♦️laundry✔️
    ♦️Local shops for fresh produce
    ♦️general chores
    ♦️solid habits

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for all those those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Could not keep my eyes open last night! I tried watching the cars, but kept dozing off. DH sent me to bed. 🤪 Still feeling tired today. Luckily short day at work.

Kylia feeling low energy in Ohio
  • Machka9
    edited January 2023
    Options
    1 Sit in silence for three minutes... it's harder than you think. Does silently working in the garden count? Done! I sat silently for 7 minutes and prayed.

2 List 5 things using each of your senses. Right now? I can see my Christmas decorations, I can hear Christmas songs, I can taste my coffee, I can smell my coffee, and I can feel a comfortable temperature in the room.

3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house. I'm not in a downsizing or reducing mode so I've taken some lunch things to work, I will take an item to be mailed and another to be given to the people at work.

4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever). I can't tell you what my favourite Christmas gift this year is yet. It's a secret.

5 Move for at least 30 minutes today. Absolutely. It's a very rare day that I don't.

6 Share a goal you achieved last year. We completed the longest bicycle ride since my husband's accident and the fastest.

7 Slow down and savor one meal today. Mmmm ... pizza!

8 Who was your favorite teacher. My father. :):) But I've had quite a few good teachers, in addition to him, over the years.

9 Create something today. I finished creating my first work-related project plan today.

10 What is your favorite lyric from a song. Difficult one given that I like so much music. But let's go with: "A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices"

11 Send a card/note to someone today. Do emails count?

12 What are you looking forward to in 2023? Can't tell you that! It's a secret ... same secret as my favourite Christmas gift. :)

13 Tell a random person they look "good" today. It's a bit late in the day to read this and didn't meet too many random people today ... or people in general. But I smiled at some horses and told Rhody he's gorgeous.

14 Tell us three amazing things that happened recently (you decide what "recently" means...lol)
    One is a secret ... I should be able to tell you by the end of the month.
    My skin cancer surgery went better than expected and all my margins are clear.
    I've been able to hold my granddaughter.

15 Call or text someone you haven't talked to in at least a week. Well, I did email a couple people yesterday. :)

16 What made you smile today. Do you mean like evil laughter?? :naughty: Or a happy smile? :smiley:
    Happy would be big fresh strawberries from our plants and my colouring book. I'm colouring little rainbows right now.

17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for
    Our garden

18 What material comforts are you most thankful for? You can make your list as long as you like...
    House
    Bed
    Comfy PJs
    My Chair
    Food

19 Write a positive review for a company for goods or services you've received recently.
    I have been going to my optometrist and optical shop for several years now. I went there again today and again I was very happy with with their service.

20 Write down five things you like about yourself
    In no particular order ...
    My hair
    My eyes
    My legs
    My hands
    My brain

21 Pay it forward in some way .... ummm ... well, I smiled and thanked a number of people today.

22 What do you most desire in your life right now? That's my own personal, unpublicised desire.

23 Go an entire day without complaining. Today wasn't the day for that. :) Got together with some friends from my former workplace. I haven't seen them in a couple months so we caught up. Is it complaining if I update friends with the way the insurance company has been treating us?

24 What about you makes you special? Tenacity and determination

25 Spend time with a loved one. Every evening!

26 When was the last time you felt pure joy? I don't know if I've ever felt pure joy. What is pure joy?

I struggle with feeling anything more than content. First, the medication I have been on for the past 5 years doesn't let me. Second, I fear it ... I feel like if I feel if I feel really happy/excited about something, something really bad is going to happen.

I made the mistake of feeling happy about my husband's promotion to General Manager ... 6 months later he had a workplace accident which resulted in a permanent severe brain injury.

I try not to make that mistake anymore.

27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend. Well I did help get our bicycles back inside today.

Most doors here have fly strips that we walk through.

28 What fear have you overcome?
    Several of them, some time ago:
    public speaking
    travelling on my own
    taking chances and spending time outside my comfort zone
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...

Machka in Oz