WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Sorry to hear your DH had a bad night worrying about the Channel Crossing in December. Is flight a better mode of transportation for him? I tried googling New Truman’s Brewery and got so many hits that I had trouble figuring out which one was the right one. If you post the correct link I’d love to read the story. You must be proud of DS2. Sorry to disappoint, but I’m too greedy to spirit any of DH’s salmon across the world. If you ever stop by I’ll put it on the menu.:flowerforyou:

Grandmallie: It is a shame that you work for an unpleasant manager. I am familiar with the feeling. The VP at my old school and I were born on different planets and had a hard time understanding one another. She said a lot of things intending to be funny that I took seriously. I’m sure she thought I was a humorless stick in the mud. It sounds like your manager just takes you for granted. :angry: :grumble: :ohwell: :flowerforyou:

LinC: I’m not familiar with pickerel. What is it like? How do you prepare it? I’ve come to enjoy fish somewhat later in life than many people and am not very adventurous. Salmon, trout, Pacific rockfish, halibut and catfish are the fish I’ve become familiar with. It is a short list. My mom didn’t like fish, and my dad loved it but over cooked it to the point of ridiculous. :tongue: I wouldn’t care for being home alone, either. It isn’t likely to happen, though. DH can’t drive anymore due to the vision loss from his stroke, so he really can’t go somewhere without me, and I can’t leave him to his own devices. He isn’t blind, but he can’t see the right side any more unless he turns his head, so he isn’t eligible to drive. That can leave him stranded.:frown:

I need to do a home maintenance project on our upper balcony. We tried to find a contractor to do it, but the one we know and trust is too busy. The area serves as the roof to a lower portion of deck and is also supposed to be a deck itself. It has a painted on membrane surface that has worn through in places. I’ll need to put on a new coating of gunk. I’m sure I’ll get plenty of instruction on how to do it both from DH and also from our neighbor who is in the construction business and has a similar task for his deck that he also will be doing. I also know that DH doesn’t trust me to do it right, and will do as much as he can on the project. I certainly won’t mind help.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

September goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
    3. Drink at least 4 glasses of water daily.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today will be a day off from the gym for me. I normally don't go on Sundays except to take the kids to the pool. I don't count that.

Last evening I was going to go outside and see what the dogs were up to. Just as I reached for the door handle, they both burst through the doggie door, bashing the doggie door against my legs. It's a really thick hard plastic and it had 60 pound of dog behind it, so needless to say, I got banged up. At first I thought one leg was broken, but no. One leg has a pretty big bruise, but it doesn't hurt much. The other has a huge bruise that is swollen and hurts like heck. It kept me awake last night throbbing. The bruise goes from the knee to just above the ankle and the whole front of the leg. It wouldn't have been so big if it wasn't for my blood thinner meds, but it hurts when I walk. And did the dogs even notice? Heck no. They just ran past me on into the house.

The puppy is settling in, taking over the household. Our older dog is actually starting to enjoy playing with him. At first she snapped at him when he got too enthusiastic, but he wouldn't take no for an answer, so she gave in. It's pretty funny, because she is three times his size.

Last night we went to Rib Crib for supper. I had my favorite chicken salad. They claim its only 400 calories and only 308 mg of sodium, but I'm skeptical. It's pretty well loaded with chicken and cheese. I don't use and salad dressing, so that helps. I only have once every two months or so. Anyway, this morning the scale said I was down another .6 pounds. So I was happy with that.

Have a great Sunday, ladies!

Sylvia in Kansas
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Have a great sun all.
    Off to church.
    HUGS
    jane
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    Options
    Katla- try

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2013/06/20the-return-of-trumans-yeast/#comments

You will get the comments on the article, including mine, his mum! Just scroll up for the whole article.
    Yes I am VERY proud of him. He is a very talented man and a very hard worker, sometimes too hard.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all. It’s a quiet Sunday here. We slept in because church today was an outside service and it’s been so unbearable hot around here lately. Pretty quiet around here; DD#1 is at work nearly all day and DD#2 is studying. DH is asleep on the couch as are all the animals, so I guess it’s just me!

Hubby said DD#1 was really angry when she went to work yesterday but when I saw her in the afternoon briefly and in the evening she was pleasant. She says she has a stomach ache and hasn’t eaten for 2 days and feels dizzy, but doesn’t want to do anything about it. When I ask her why not, she just shrugs. She’s a tough one.

Joyce: your food choices today sound yummy! Fudge bar! DD#1 is 20, will be 21 in a few weeks, but developmentally she’s about 12.

Renny: I too crave my alone time. I used to journal and have been thinking of starting that again. So I have to ask…WHAT is that in your pic? LOL. I like what you said about your home being a safe haven. Our rule for the kids is don’t move out until you are ready because we don’t want you moving back in! We have friends with adult kids who will just not leave.

Texasgal: I’ve never been to a real car race. They have some dirt track ones I’ve been to when we go to DHs family in OK. That sounds like fun. Yes I think unconditional love is the key.

Yanniejannie: I think you are right about the dose of reality. She said it best herself….she had to be fired from one job to learn the lesson about keeping her schedule straight.

Michele: I think Sunday is a strange day for a funeral too. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of that. It is nice of you to take cookies.

Barbie: I think I’d like a little TV in our gym, but don’t know where we would put it and getting another receiver for the direct tv is costly. I’ve often thought I would not be so bored with one. I try to read on the elliptical, but then the book or magazine covers the fan and without my reading glasses I can’t see it anyway. I tried once with the glasses but they kept sliding off my sweaty face LOL. Yesterday the old man (cat) kept trying to get on with me.

Ann: welcome. Barbie does have the best graphics here!

Katla; wow 40 pounds of fresh salmon! I am so jealous!

Heather: poor DH he must be so frustrated! Kind of you to keep working for compromise, something that will work with him. I get terribly seasick. I once took a trip to the Dry Tortugas off the coast of Florida and was so sick they were going to call a Coast Guard helicopter to come get me. Even after an hour on land, I was still sick. Fortunately it finally stopped before the coasties arrived. So I have to really drug myself getting on ships or boats.

Grandmallie: that’s too bad about your coworkers. Seems as if you should have seniority!

Lin: take care of that back!

Liz: hope you have a good day and are able to relax and enjoy it some

Sylvia: hope your leg feels better soon! We used to have a dog that could kill a small child with her tail! Good for you on the weight loss!

Janemartin: how are things going for you?

Well I’m off to get some work done on the books. Todays exercise is elipital, weights, and the dreaded yoga. Each is for 20 minutes, so I’ll get an hour in. need to fill the birdfeeders too. The little devils will be pecking at our windows if I don’t get out there LOL. Take care, Meg from cloudy Omaha
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Suebdew
    How long did the back pain last. Sounds pretty much the same as mine. I just iced for 20 min. Now heat for 20 but haven't had to take a pill since 3 am. Worst is at night.

Katla
    Hard to explain pickerel I just know I love it. This is how I like it best is beer battered and of course deep fried. LOL.
    Home maintenance never stops not seen hubby retired anyhow he always finds something to do.

Mollywhippet
    Eating out don't have to add on lbs. You just proved that.

Easier to catch a few than two pages full.

Probably be back latter.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,705 Member
    Options
    Dear Liz,

I share my tears with you. So very sorry for the loss of your sister. May time heal.

Blessings,
    Paula inSFBay Area CA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    lincharpient-I paid the extra 15.00 and broke down and bought a nice pair of size 14 petite skinny jeans, I will get alot of use out of them this fall and winter
    went to Walmart to grocery shop after the gym.. they I think are still working out the kinks of the grocery dept and didnt get a few things I wanted but oh well.. by the time I got to go in line I started having a little anxiety attack.. haven't had that in awhile.but the place was packed ...10-15 people in each line...I breathed my way through it,then came home and put the stuff away. finally met the young guy from the couple that bought the house.. he is out trying to mow the lawn.... it hasnt been mowed in 3 weeks since they moved in.. he seems very nice, but they are a young couple with 3 kids just starting out in there first house, they have a 2 month old girl, 15 month old girl and a 4 yr old boy... oh holy cow are we going to be in for it
    the DH said to me yesterday if we could sell this house and get into a 55 housing place here in central connecticut , that is affordable(HA HA) he would sell. Ct for taxes and everything else ,excuse my language Sucks....
    oh well will come back and check in later:heart:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Just finished the 5k. It took me much longer than anticipated, because the first part was all UPHILL!!! Holy moly, what a workout. Feeling good about it though. :drinker: :drinker: been drinking lots of water! :drinker: :drinker: After rainy days, the weather is gorgeous!

The walk was in support of ovarian cancer research. The color they adopted is TEAL, and those who were ovarian cancer survivors in the crown wore a teal shirt. I think I saw 4 in a crowd of approximately 500. :cry: :cry: Survival rates do not look great for women diagnosed with the disease, because early detection is difficult. I met a lady named "Sandy" while waiting for the start. She came to the event by herself and I hooked up with her because I noticed that she was not with anyone and so we would walk together. Sandy is currently in treatment, a retired nurse, and she had wanted to walk 2.5 k. However, she was actually already winded from walking from her car, so ended up staying behind. She was gone by the time I walked across the finish line. Now I want to find her. I'll let you know if I do.

Have a great Sunday and may no one have to walk alone. I am grateful for my Vit F buddies.

:heart: Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Early, early morning; the race today supported the families of slain policemen. For an inaugural race , it was VERY well attended, especially considering we had another one for 9-11 also going on in the area. Trust the police to have fantastic food (keeping in mind that if it's food, I'm very easily pleased, LOL); there was a catered bar-b-que lunch for runners and our timing crew volunteers at 11am supplied by one of my fav. places........so, a good morning! Then I stopped at an estate sale, picked up a couple books for me and a pair of earings for dd, on to lots of shopping at Marshall's, then Trader Joe's, then home.

Heather........I've written down the link and will check out your son's new place; it sounds wonderful!!! I feel for your dh; but the upgrade sounds like it might be just the ticket.

Barbie.......Sounds like you've made fabulous progress on your landscaping project. Guess I can make it to old age if the osteoporsis or cardiac crap doesn't get me first, lol.

Katla..........Lucky, lucky, lucky with all that salmon!!!

Granmallie...........I vote that everyone takes turns doing weekends.........they have no idea how fortunate they are to have you.

Sylvia..........Darn dogs!!!!

Meg............I have pushy critters here too. There's a blue jay who screams like mad for food, and a squirrel who has been known to scratch the door or climb the window screen. Of course, they are spoiled rotted by moi........not just bird seed but shelled unsalted peanuts on top, raisins, cut up apple, and bits of suet. Also a nyger seed feeder just for the gold finches.

Renny..........Glad you had a good race!!!

May do a bike ride this evening.....
    Take care, all
    yanniejannie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Katla- try

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2013/06/20the-return-of-trumans-yeast/#comments

You will get the comments on the article, including mine, his mum! Just scroll up for the whole article.
    Yes I am VERY proud of him. He is a very talented man and a very hard worker, sometimes too hard.

The site is temporarily down, but I'll try again later. Lovely picture, but no words. The spot looks very quaint and would make a fun business location.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Back to the Y again today. 3 days in a row!!!!! Wooo hoooo.

I can't remember who was talking about their older dog adjusting to the young puppy. My youngest, Michelle, adopted a wonderful older dog from the dog pound. I think she will always get a rescue dog. They need extra loving. Anyway through out the years the poor guy has gotten slower and slower and less playful. Her husband at that time, no longer in the picture, really wanted a boxer puppy and they found their child! Boxer puppies are, well they are puppies to the extreme. And he wasn't going to take no from this older dog to play with him. So Justice really saved Timmy. Then the rescue organization she volunteers for had a very shy, formerly abused dog that needed to be fostered so that he could make someone a good family dog. So Trevor became a new brother. Again Justice took over. He was still in the puppy stage and Trevor had no choice but to enjoy life again with big brothers and some 2 legged people that would love him. So when it came time to put him up for adoption I knew there would be no adoption other than Michelle. She couldn't dare break up those brothers.

I think I can give credit to Michelle also for 'saving' me. She has challenged me that I have to be ready to do a 'Fido walk' this next Saturday. It's only one mile and it's one of our old parks and of course it's all for animal rescue. She will only be walking Justice with her and if he is by himself he won't tempted to run although there will be plenty of other dogs to temp him to. I have put off going to the Y but I knew Friday I had no choice, the time was up. I had to be up to walking a mile in a week. When my hubbie had his heart attack I started walking the mall with him and it was really hard to do. Walking is much harder for me to do than the recumbent bikes. So off to the park I go next Saturday!!!!

Joyce
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Heather..........Lovely and very interesting article!!! Thanks for sharing and best of luck to your son.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am new, here. I joined last Thursday. It was an impulse moment, and as a result my weight, is a rough estimate. My bathroom scales, won't give me the correct weight, so I am probably going to be in for a shock, on Tuesday when I'll be in Boots (I hope, I'll be fine). Yes, I have been known to pass out, in a department store. But, then Harrods can be a tad harsh on the purse strings.
    If, it is any consolation, I'll be fif..fif in a couple of years time. Uhm, well.
    As you can see, I've replied to a few posts already. Feel free, to read my posts, and maybe they will answer any questions. That's what we are here to do, to learn from eachother, and have fun.
    Hope, I can help.

West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    afternoon all, the weather is nice, a little breezy, and the wind through the screens scare the dogs:ohwell:
    I am taking the garcinia cambogia, and haven't really had any side effects other that not having alot of appetite. which I guess is a good thing.. especially because someone told me being on the predisone gives you the munchies:laugh:
    The only thing I dont want to do is put my body into starvation mode.. I am eating , just not eating alot..
    the jeans I bought at Walmart are comfy and fit like a dream.. 14 petite:bigsmile: they are straight leg stretchy jean and will be nice for the fall and winter..
    I have always lived in sweats or yoga pants in the winter, and I am trying to figure out what I want to do with the pant thing for the up coming season...
    I did break down and bought an herbal supplement for menopause symptoms,one dose in the morning, one dose at night.. my poor pill pod is overflowing now.. I feel like my own little CVS:blushing:
    I did break down and have a small piece of low fat pumpkin pie with a glass of water and it tasted good.
    and my grocery shopping I did well,for me some things are old standby's the rice cakes with garden vegetable wedges, string cheese,100 calorie nuts, and I did break down and buy 100 calorie pretzel packs, they aren't huge in sodium and will be nice for a little crunch.. both the veggie and fruit drawers are full too.
    I ended up grilling those sweet apple chicken sausages, and made some white rice to go with.. I had 3/4 of a link and 1/2 cup of rice. and the sausages were very good. I am thinking about cutting one up to bring for lunch for work -160 calories..
    did buy my trusty graham crackers for something sweet. and archway makes apple pie snaps- they are on the ginger snap idea, 4 are 100- so i got the snack bags out and put 5-in each bag and marked them 125 calories,
    so I am trying....
    I have been running around all day, so just lying on the bed with the laptop and have my foot brace on, not wanting to over due
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday everyone. Lots of football today but I'm waiting for the Cowboys game. It looks cooler outside so I'm thinking of taking an outside walk.
    LinC - my pain is still there but not nearly as bad. Walking was a problem for a couple of weeks. Not it hurts worst when I sneeze! LOL I sleep with a pillow to help my hip and that seems to help.
    Meg - Ever heard the saying the older the parents get the smarter they are? My DGD decided to stay at school over the summer to work and have fun. She soon found out that she barely made enough to make rent, utilities and cable. She told me she made a mistake and next summer she is coming home. Lesson learned.
    Jodios - good for you and good to see you.
    Better get myself out the door before I talk myself out of it.
    Sue in TX
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I am taking the garcinia cambogia, and haven't really had any side effects other that not having a lot of appetite. which I guess is a good thing.. especially because someone told me being on the prednisone gives you the munchies:laugh:
    The only thing I don't want to do is put my body into starvation mode.. I am eating , just not eating a lot..

Grandmallie, I am no expert on starvation mode. There are websites available where that is discussed and certainly lots of conflicting information as well. My understanding is that it would have to be a prolonged periods of starvation when the body begins to burn muscle instead of fat. You could always ask your doctor.

Renny
  • seasonsofjoy
    seasonsofjoy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
    Hello everyone!
    SO JAZZED that I found MFP, and this forum!
    I am 52 (almost 53, he-he!), and have or have had in the past, several health issues, that include:
    Hashimoto's thyroid, many foot issues, osteoarthritis, hiatal hernia, severe anemia that led to a hysterectomy (yay!), etc.
    I am not a person who focuses on problems (why did I start with that stuff?:ohwell: ), but I want to be healthier again, and feel good again,
    and be full of vitality with my body, which is what I feel in my heart and my mind!

I have read many posts here, and I embrace you all, and empathize with so many, and will talk to individuals in future posts here, like the messages you all post to each other! Yay for the positive thoughts! Yay for the inspiration of like-minded friends!

Quick things about who I am: mom of a 17 year old girl (senior in high school); and 20 year old boy (junior away at college).
    Former interior designer, stay home mom for 20 years, have a small business on Etsy.com, selling ornaments, mostly.
    Love the seasons and holidays, and to celebrate small moments of joy every day!:happy:
    Dealing with aging/failing parents and in-laws. Very hard.
    Artist and crafter,& love to travel! Gardening has always been a passion, but Arizona is challenging!:grumble:
    Love my hubby, family, and friends! And God, of course! :love:

Again, I am SO HAPPY to find this site, I know I will kick the yo-yo thing for good now! I support you all, and love sending positive thoughts your way!
    :drinker:
    Nancy from Gilbert, Arizona, U.S.A. (Phoenix area)
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    welcome nancy:flowerforyou:
    Renny,good job on the walk:drinker:
    Of to the son`s tonite for 4 days to take care of Violet.
    Have a good night.
    HUGS
    jane:heart::heart:
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon, Ladies! I am watching football and burning lots of calories yelling at the TV. My cat and my neighbors are all in hiding! :laugh:

It has been a very busy weekend. I played up at the scrapbook store on Friday night and again on Saturday. I did get some projects down, but I still have not gotten those Christmas cards designed! Dang! It was fun, though. I also got to an OA meeting yesterday morning. Some of us sat after the meeting and chatted for another hour, so it was very productive and helpful. It is very good to know that these seemingly unnatural urges to eat my way through my own cupboards and then go through my neighbor's, too are really pretty normal. I am not feeling so out-of-control just knowing that along with all of you I have an intown support group, too.

Katla- I just went back and checked your post about my elder-friend. You are right, I need to tell the son what I have seen and let him deal with it. But, I also need to get my butt over there more often to check on her. Thanks for your help.

Meg- The big question is whether or not your hubby is going to let the daughter move back home after she realized that she can not make her expenses? I am assuming that she is over 18, in which case I might be tempted to lay down some pretty strict expectations on her behaviors if she did come back into the home. But, that is just my humble opinion.

Joyce- As much as we would like to script our children's lives, we just can't. I know that you want your daughter and her family to live in a conventional way, but it sounds like they have figured out how they want to live and have settled into it. I guess we all have to accept the choices our kids make, even when we really are not happy. Please remember, this is coming from the lady who learned last night that her 45 year old son just bought his 3rd motorcycle yesterday! I don't know how he plans to ride all three of them, but..... he has them.

Ann- Welcome! Those poodles are adorable, but they dance much faster than I can!

Sylvia- Bad Dogs!!!! Hopefully, they did not get their treats! The Rib Crib? Even the name can cause be to gain weight!

LinCharpentie- Is what you refer to as a pickerel also called a Walleye Pike? If so, they are my favorite fish. I can have them in abundance when I go back to MN, but here in Az, I have to go to a specialty shop and pay $18 - 22 dollars a pound..... and I can eat a whole lot of Walleye!

Renny- Congratulations of the 5K for ovarian cancer research.

Grandmallie- I chuckled when you said you bought your trusty graham crackers. I finally found some gluten free graham crackers, but probably can't ever buy them again. First, they were kind of spendy and second, having them in the house triggered a binge. It just isn't wise to eat a whole box in two days! Just not smart!

Nancy from Gilbert, Az- Welcome!! I live down in Green Valley, just south of Tucson. It is so great to have another Arizonian on the board.

Well, there are two minutes left in the Cardinals' game and the game is tied. I think I need to go and give them some more 'directions'! Have a great Sunday night, my friends.

Pat (Phoo in Az)