WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,783 Member
    Options
    Anamika-the last time I wore a bikini I was 15, you wont see me in one again :noway: I still have a jelly belly and a big ol fat flab around the middle though I am trying to tone up as best I can.
    going into work early today so it will be a full day for me, and I already made the DH dinner, and will make the boys dinner and my lunch in a couple minutes take a shower walk the dogs and off I go, will be home after 5, at least I have the weekend off from work..
    bother and SIL came down last night, Bless them had a pad of paper and a pen and made a list of everything that we went through.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,327 Member
    Options
    Off to get euros after lunch. We are paying for the apartment mainly in cash so need loads! Money belt is in order!

I've booked the Vatican Museum on line for Tuesday pm. Saves having to queue. I'm getting all excited and a bit nervous now. I hate packing, so will feel better when I've done that. For someone who loves travelling so much I am a very nervous traveller. Love it when I get there, but this bit is not so good. I've got to fit everything into cabin baggage, but at least BA allows you a separate handbag. Our cheap airlines don't. I'm taking my tablet so you should still be hearing from me! Wi fi in the apartment.

All my last minute washing is drying. I am wearing old clothes so as not to dirty anything I might take. I know I am not the only one who gets het up around holiday preparation, but you would think with all my experience . . .:embarassed:

Missing the grandchildren. I feel as if I ought to be there lending a hand. I had them in my head all night and woke up with them in my thoughts. I so feel for DDIL with her caesarean. Makes it tough. And she can't play and cuddle with DGS. He is very wary of the attention she gives to the baby, but I'm sure will soon come round. My elder son was hell with the younger one. And I got post natal depression so I think I may be feeling a bit protective of my son's family! I know the other grandparents are up there today, so they have plenty of support.

Did 26 press ups this morning. Hooray. When I started I could do 6 knee press ups, now they are full ones, but I don't think a sergeant major would think much of them. Yesterday I ran up the station escalator, past all the people standing on the right! Then when the platform was announced I 'jalked' past everyone to the front train carriage, carrying my heavy handbag and my supper with wine! DH was impressed! It makes all the hard work so worthwhile. As I was jalking I thought, 'I can do this. I do this every day on the elliptical - keep going' . So good to have confidence in yourself and not think you are going to explode!:laugh: (It was a very long train)
    Jerk duck tonight.

Love to you all. Especially those with trials and tribulations.:flowerforyou: Congrats to all who have something to celebrate.:drinker:
    Heather in warm Hampshire UK
  • Maritill
    Maritill Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this group for the support that you seem to give each other. I have lost 9 lbs. so far with another 35+ to go. I have been very good at writing everything down that I eat. I did alot of measuring in the beginning. I have lupus and am on prednisone so any weight loss to me is terrific. Have a wonderful day and weekend. I am planning a day trip to the Adirondack mtns. to see the fall foliage tomorrow.:happy:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    In looking over my post from yesterday I sound like a mean vindictive woman. And that makes me feel bad but yet I know in my heart what I must do. I just hope it can be done in the way God would be proud of me. I know my husband would resent anything more than I have already done for her and if I try to continue a friendly relationship with her it will put him in a very awkward situation. I didn't sleep well last night, thinking about the differences between all the family I will be with the next coming days and what my own siblings, aunts and uncles were like when my parents died and are still like. I also spent some time with VI, just sitting in my family room surrounded by her belongings. I do know in her heart she would appreciate anything I did for Karen. I'm not sure she would appreciate it because I am trying to be a friend to her daughter or because it might bring her daughter back to her. I thought about how much she looked forward to our weekly visits, she said they felt like Christmas every week. She enjoyed the flowers I picked out even though at first she didn't want any at all. She was just like my husband on that one, needless money spent. We spent hours going through the Blair catalogue buying pretty outfits. On other things she wanted to buy since she couldn't go out shopping I brought the stores to her by taking many pictures of things and we went shopping via my camera and delete until we were down to three to finally choose from. So this is the Vi I spent time with this morning. Oh, I am going to go and order one last floral arrangement this morning. Husband won't think it is needed at all but I need to. So I'' make sure the card says it is from our girls also and grand kids. they seem to pull at his heart strings more than I can. Her pre-paid arrangement paid for the family and grand children floral spray on top of the casket. So it's not from us. She paid for it many years ago.

Joyce
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Joyce,
    My heart goes out to you. You are in my thought and prayers. I wish you strength, patience and rest once all this is over. Never give up.

I wasn't on yesterday because I walked into a power outage at work. Racoon decided he needed a sun tan and got into the electric substation and the tanning booth exploded. Fried raccoon and no power for the entire south end of Cookeville, including many restaurants, businesses, and shops. It was out for 4 hours. When it came back up, well, I am the IT person so became very busy with hardware and software issues because of the power outage. No time to read all the posts so just skimmed them this morning.

Before I left work yesterday, I was working via email and phone with realtors both in CT and in TN. Spent 4 hours after work doing that. That brought me up to 8 PM and exhaustion. I then received a phone call which put me in a happy mood but didn't help the tiredness. Went to be at about 9:30 and up at 5:30 this morning. Tired still but seems to be much quieter today. Well, back to work, just received a message for help.

Rita from middle TN soon to be middle CT!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    TGIF!Joyce,been thinking about you alot lately.You were a great DIL to your MIL.You did the best for her.
    Take care of yourself.
    HUGS
    jane
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Joyce, It's hard to think of anything to say that hasn't already been said, but my thoughts are with you.

Congrats on the two new grand babies in the group. May they live long, healthy and happy.

I have finally lost that extra pound that snuck back on me. I just realized that I only have five pounds left to go before I match the big fat fib that is on my drivers license. My goal was to lose 5 pounds in September, and I think I made it.

I had a stroke of genius yesterday. I'm really self conscious about my floppy upper arms, especially after I saw some teenage girls snickering in the gym recently. And half-sleeve length shirts are really hard to find. So, I bought a cheap long sleeved tshirt at Walmart and cut the sleeves off just below my elbow - or what would be my elbow if I had one. I didn't even bother to hem it up. It is really comfortable and I feel so much better in it. So I'm going to buy one in every color. And it's a 2X, too. No more 4X for me. I finally realized that I feel better in clothes that are not really baggy. I was trying not to buy a lot of clothes until I get smaller. But the big clothes were dragging me down.

Have a great Friday!

Sylvia
  • cws4me
    Options
    Maritill - Welcome!!! I'm too kind of a newbie here but I can tell you the people here are very caring,encouraging and helpful. Good luck in your journey and check in. It really helps on those not so good days (weeks in my case :ohwell: ) and keeps you on track on what you want to accomplish.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hello all you wonderful over 50 folks. Getting some vitamin F before heading to cottage. Be there until tomorrow after supper. Then need to come home spend night here to be ready to pick up peoples to head out to ARD close this year Just a 1/2 hour drive away. ARD stands for Area Recongtion day. Wrong spelling and don't feel like looking it up in dictionary. Still have a few dishes to put in dishwasher make my bed and shower and get out to the lake with my crap apples going to make crap apple jelly. Already make 4 jars the big ones of beets.

So wishing you all a great weekend and see you tomorrow after supper.

See you all lighter.
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Joyce - thinking of you today. I don't think you sounded vindictive at all - you just needed somewhere/someone to help blow off a little emotional steam. We are here to support you. Please take care of yourself throughout this time. :heart:
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,877 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Joyce, sympathy and prayers for you at this time. Please remember to take care of yourself.

Sandy, Happy birthday!!:flowerforyou:

Congratulations to the new grandmas! Have fun with those grandbabies.:happy:

I found out yesterday that insurance approved extra PT sessions. Yeah! I see the doctor next Tuesday and hopefully he will tell me I can go back to work as scheduled October 10. My PT told me today I can do whatever I like now I won't hurt the shoulder even though it may hurt and be stiff. The flexibility will just take time but I am now lifting 3# weights and using the rowing machine.

Our son texted us and asked if I could get time off for Christmas. My manager has okayed that so we are headed to the Pacific northwest for the holiday. The kids are paying for our airline tickets as our present. I could not think of a better one than spending time with family and especially my DGD.

Everyone hang in there. Healing angels to those who need them and congratulations to those with victories of whatever kind. Sue in SD
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Bump to save my place. Planning to go home tomorrow, so I won't be likely to post until we get there.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Joyce, you can’t go wrong if you come from a place of love.

:flowerforyou: Line dance class went well today including teaching a fun dance that I thought might be too difficult for some of the newer students, but it turned out great.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: Lest anyone think I am a never ending bundle of energy, today I came home from the after lunch dog walk, saw Jake asleep on the couch and went right to bed with the dogs and slept for almost two hours5

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: 25,000 steps today
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful birthday wishes

yanniejannie – I just love little piggies, they are so cute. Hmmm taco bell, I haven't had that for a long time. I hope you enjoyed it.

Vinkariz – welcome, it's so hard to find that balance of planning our food and just relaxing and enjoying life. I'm still in the watching everything I eat phase.

Michelle – wow 2 levels with Jillian, good for you.

Susan & Maritill – welcome, come back often and post as often as you want.

Heather – congrats on your progress, you are inspiring

Sylvia – congrats on the lost pound. What a great idea, I might just steal it. I hate my arm jiggle too.

Sue – what a fantastic present from your DS, nothing better then spending time with the kids & DGD.

What a busy busy day. It was inventory count today and it went extremely well. We actually finished early enough that we were out of work on time and no work tomorrow. :happy: :happy: :happy:

I'm really looking forward to dinner tomorrow night with the kids. I just love spending time with them. Tomorrow morning is aquafit and then probably a bit of housework.

Have a great evening.

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Joyce, my condolences to you and your family. It sounded as though she was ready, and so glad she was able to have some hospice care.
    Woke up and helped Dad bathe and dress. He always has a protein, blueberry, coconut oil flaxseed, banana, fiber and orange juice smoothie in the morning...it wakes him up he says. Tidying as I go. Then I make a soft boiled egg a toasted English muffin with a slice of cheese for his breakfast. Played cards till 1:30 and rushed home to take Dad to his Parkinsons exercises, but my brother beat me to it. Oh well, I went to the nursery to buy some cornstalks and big ole pumpkins for my annual autumn decoration outdoors. I make he corn stalks into a cone shape, tie the top with a thick rope and place pumpkins at the base. I light it at night and everyone enjoys seeing the autumn atmosphere. I paid $5 for each pumpkin...they are big so I thought I got a good deal. I will leave the corn stalks and pumpkins out until after Thanksgiving...so 2 months is pretty good! My cat was with me inspecting each stalk as I put it together.
    Dad came home and we talked about what he wants at his 87th birthday party. He wants a carrot cake! OK! I am going to decorate the house and we are looking forward to seeing his cousins. He said he wants my daughter to fly in from NY. she said she could make it and stay over the weekend til Tues. YEA! I'll have a buffet with food he will be able to handle and some other stuff for the guests. It's hard for him to eat with a spoon and fork as he's shaky and makes a mess. He dropped M&Ms on the carpet tonight and I could hear them rattling in the cup. I was chuckling telling my DH that I know Dad would rattle them out of the cup. Sure enough, they fell on the carpet under his feet and he smudged them into the carpet! Cleaned up with cold water...guess M&Ms are not as pure chocolate as I thought...thank goodness. Think I will stop giving him those as he always smashes them in his recliner and I find them in oddball places.
    I'm in my room and will put Dad to bed around 9:30 not because he cant do it himself, but it goes easier for him if I make sure everything's accessible for him. Eye drops, ear phones for a book on CD, and lights out.:yawn:
    Good night ladies.
    Susan in the mighty midwest
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Welcome newbies! Just stopped in for a quick read; off to bed very shortly as I have to be at the race course by 5:30am setting up. Spent a solid 41/2 hrs. on my feet this afternoon giving out race packets and race t-shirts but had fun doing it.

Best to everyone,
    G'nite,
    yanniejannie
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today went well. I got good news about my ultrasound. No surgery needed! Went to pick up hubby for lunch. I had my banana in the car, and I usually drive him to McD's and eat my banana while he eats his grease burger, then I go the the gym afterward, but today when I got there to pick him up he had one of his coworkers with him and we wound up going to a restaurant. It was hard to get anything "diet". I wound up with a chicken breast on cibatta bun with sweet potato fries. So it was a lot more than I planned to eat. I still went to the gym anyway, and did my weights and then the pool. I found that I can get my heart rate up or keep my lunch down, but I can't do both.

Then I went shopping and came home to play with the puppy. This little guy makes me laugh so much! He's such a clown.

I hope everybody is having a nice Friday.

Sylvia
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    WOW, I survived!!!! I felt everyone's thoughts and prayers. Even my husband was surprised that all of a sudden it was after 7 PM and he swore he wouldn't stay all day. He said when you are having good conversation the time just flies. VI looked really good. Funeral home must employ some pretty special beauticians and cosmetologists. Since her own siblings hardly ever see her the Vi they saw today was the Vi they remember and they were all pleased. I'm glad they they didn't have to see what she had withered down to. Or maybe they should have seen that and it would have reminded them what they should have been doing all these years. But as Charlie says I tend to see the world through rose colored glasses. I know I do and make no apologies for it. But her siblings were real pleased and all of them also recognized me as the woman who took such good care of her. The wives of the others sons are either 2nd or 3rd wives. she the dress she bought and planned on wearing for her 83rd birthday but they didn't put it on her. So this was the first time she ever wore it. they made this size 2X dress look good on a 125 pound lady. I guess one of the things I didn't expect out of today was that all the records she had kept through all her early years were brought in to us. My husband had his things he did with Vi and the other son had the duties he did. He kept all her records. . So he went through all fo them and seperated and put them in seperate packages for his brothers. I got all his report cards and saw the remarks Vi made tot he teachers to help in school, he was never absent. She had his diary of his first year, had traced his shoes through out the year. I found out what his first movie was, when he got his teeth in. So I got all those things that a lot of mothers share with a new wife of one of her kids. I had one piicture of him, now I have dozens. My girls will en joy looking at his report cards.

I'm tired, not the kind of exhaustion I was earlier in the week. I did take my good tennis shoes and put them in my wheel chair in the lounge and everytime I went back there I put the tennis shoes on. I took my brown paper bag of healthy snacks and ate them. Well I did eat one mini chocolate chip cookie with M&Ms on it that seemed to have my name and had been calling my name all day!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Well...as usual, I lost that bid on ebay. This time by 15 cents! It appears someone REALLY wanted it. Well, I have that dress (the one that was a size 4) that I got at the Salvation Army. I have a call in to the lady who does dress alterations to ask if she can do something with the sleeves. I printed out the picture of the dress that I lost the bid on to show her what sleeves looked like in the 1930's. Update: I took it to her, she thinks she can do something

I did an hour of the walk/jog routine. I don't know what it was, but I was so exhausted. I came home and went to sleep for 3-1/2 hours. Tomorrow is yoga.

Katla - I don't know how much of an NSV that dress in a 4 was. Every manufacturer is slightly different. I know that pants made by this one manufacturer, I can take a 4 in. Others I have to have an 8. I guess right now I'm just a little bit down, having lost yet another dress. Even Vince thought that for sure I got it since I'd already bought one. Guess it just wasn't meant to be....it probably didn't fit me anyway (I'll try to look on the bright side)

Susan - jump right in whenever you'd like. We'd also like to hear about your husband and father. Our environment has so much to do with our weight loss.

Jessica called last night. She interviewed for another job and she got it. She's a bit afraid of changing jobs so she asked them if she could think it over for a few days. I know that change is hard.

Joyce - you are NOT cruel. I'm sure your MIL would totally approve of your decisions. When my father died, Vince couldn't understand why I needed to bury his ashes asap. I finally told hinm "I'd like you to be there, but if not, I have to do it for me". He never buried his mother's ashes, she's only been dead for around 8 years now. And he wonders why I asked that the ashes be sent to his family out in MO (his one cousin was a mortician). I bet they buried those ashes. Not that I can blame them one bit.

Put a load of laundry in the wash this morning, then when I came home from exercise I put my light clothes in since they were so sweaty. The sad part was that I put my bathing suit and Vince's in the wash. The is like an "unofficial" declaration that I won't be going in the pool any more this year. I probably won't, unfortunately. Now it's in the dryer.

grandmalle - the last time I wore a bikini was for this party the had an "island" theme. I borrowed a grass skirt and wore a bikini for the top. All the way there I prayed "please don't let the police pull us over, please, please". Here I was, in the middle of March, in a bikini and grass skirt. Actually, one couple came dressed in jail costumes (Rikers' Island...well, no one said anything about it having to be a Caribbean island, just Island). I still have that bikini. You know something, the bottoms are a bit big on me. Jessica borrowed it once, and they were big on her, too. But there is no way I'd go out in public wearing that! No way!
    You know, especially in summer my ankles tend to swell. I always thought it was due to the heat. But they didn't swell much this summer until the end of the season. While I was exercising today I realized that I'd always used the True Lemon stuff in my water, but for some reason I haven't lately. I'm thinking that since citrus is a diuretic, that may be why my ankles weren't swelling.

Heather - could you please explain the press up to me? I thought I knew what it was, but then you mentioned a knee press up. What exactly is that? I mean, how is it done? I'm thinking the 26 press ups were 26 pushups and the 6 knee press ups were 6 pushups on your knees. Am I right? Big congrats on the jalking! You're doing mighty well.

maritill - welcome. The Adirondacks must be gorgeous this time of year. Be sure to tell us all about it.

Sylvia - congrats on getting so close to your driver's license weight. I know you can do this. I always want my shirts to have some sort of "sleeve", too. WTG on the smaller size. Good for you wanting smaller sized clothes. That will certainly help.

Lin - crap apples?? I think you meant CRAB Apples. Thanks for the smile.

Sue in SD - yea for the extra PT! What a wonderful Christmas gift your son is giving you

Michele in NC
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Just a few lines before bed time.Joyce,I can feel your heartache.How lucky your MIL was to have you in her life

My condolences & hopefully someday , you will enjoy remembering her & the nice times.Right now with family,funeral etc

You will need to look after yourself too. Thinking of you. Patceoh