WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I read something today that I thought was worth sharing. The writer said that we are so often glad to have the freedom of choice when what might be better is the freedom from choice. I have made many decisions on this weight loss journey that allow me freedom from choice:
    I eat exactly the same breakfast every day
    I don’t keep certain foods in my house
    I walk my dogs every morning
    I go to bed early so I can get up early to walk the dogs
    I go to line dance class every Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday
    I always say no to desserts
    I drink water instead of other beverages
    I eat only the food I’ve planned to eat
    I don’t eat certain foods
    I don’t have to ask myself what to choose in these situations and my life is simpler and healthier because of it.

:flowerforyou: Amanda, I’m glad your surgery is over and you are on the road to recovery.

:flowerforyou: Sylvia, I’m glad you won’t have to have surgery.

:flowerforyou: Heather, bon voyage

:flowerforyou: Joyce, it’s time to get on with your life.

:flowerforyou: Sandy in ON, you’ve survived the worst of the stuff with your mother. Now you can continue to get on with the rest of your life.

:flowerforyou: Vicki, heat pumps are everywhere on the North Olympic Peninsula where we have no natural gas so heating is either electric or propane. Our temperatures are milder here than where you are, so a heat pump is the perfect thing to have to heat in winter and cool in summer.

:heart: Barbie from very rainy NW Washington

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: 21,000 steps at 2 PM today
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,757 Member
    Options
    damn Barbie you put us all to shame:bigsmile:
    was very good when we went out, had baked scrod and asked for it plain, got it that way and flavored it with lemon, 1/2 cup butternut squash and a salad with Blue cheese on the side, dipped my tines of the fork in it just to get a taste
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Love it Barbie. Decision making is so much easier when the choices are reduced or eliminated. I also love eating the same breakfast (apple/yoghurt/coffee) every day. And the same lunch every day (low calory creamcheese on squirrelly bread with tons of veggies). All organic where possible.

Now I want to get that same approach going in terms of activity and sleep. It does get more tricky in those departments. A work in progress, so to speak.

Raining cats and dogs here. Lovely being at home and having a quiet day after a stressful 10 days at work. Finally had a really good sleep last night, so am feeling more human.

Lost 1.5 lbs all of a sudden. Go figure.

:heart: Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Amanda – so good to see your post! Hope you’re soon released from medical care.

Sandy/ON – so sorry for the mother-daughter relationship you didn’t have, but certainly deserved. Grieving that missed relationship is understandable, but perhaps you’ve found a surrogate to fill the ‘mom’ relationship in your life?

Gardengail burned 3,035 calories doing 480 minutes of cardio exercises, including "Carrying heavy loads, such as bricks1" – today was all lifting/moving rocks and walking! Now I’m ready to shower and get cleaned up. The 2 worker bees moved ALL 5 yards of rock, buried the gutter/downspout drain pipes and spread all the mulch and were gone by 6p! I removed all the slicks (larger river rocks) from where they were to the patio, then to where they were supposed to go, put down pea gravel and other stuff. It’s a good tired!

Gail, metro ATL
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Hello to All:

Sandy so sorry about all that you have been through and that it came back to haunt you on your birthday but I think you are a strong person and will get through this too. Hugs.:heart:

Heather - Traveling mercies to you. Have a wonderful trip.:smile:

Joyce - You have made it through the worst part, now rest up and get back to normal whatever that is. :yawn:

I spent most of my day helping my best friend pack some of her belongings. She has sold her place and is moving to Denver. I will really miss her but I really believe she will be happier there close to her DD and DGKs. Still it makes me sad. We have been friends since college and that was a lot of years ago!:laugh: Sue in SD
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Here I am after being MIA. Welcome to the newbies, congrats to those who have victories, and joyce I am so sorry about your loss. I hope you find peace soon. You were there for MIL when she needed you and she knows that you were there for her. Vicki how are you holding out with the flood?

Well Thursday was the oddest day ever. Came home…no internet, no phone, no TV. After being on the phone for nearly 40 minutes, the customer service lady at Century Link told DH “We sent you a new modem last December and you never paid for it.” WHAT????

DH says “We found a modem on our front porch without a note or a bill. How was I supposed to know to pay for it”. So she says …..seriously she said this….

“It was on a bill that was between 2 bills so you wouldn’t have seen it.”

WTF??????????

What on earth does THAT mean?

So after some complaining about how were we supposed to pay for something we didn’t even know about….you guessed it…*CLICK. Yes she hung up on us!!!!! This was after she started yelling at DH and after he said “Stop yelling at me. I am the customer.”

So I called back this time and got someone else after another half hour and while I was on the phone we got the TV restored, I even played the diabetes card “I have diabetes and have to have a phone in case of a medical emergency.” No go. So you see what their priorities are…the tv.

Yesterday DH called customer service and got a manager. Holy cow did the fur fly. Needless to say we got the phone and internet back right away. Now for the really stupid part. He said we should have gotten a bill and yes we were turned off because we didn’t pay for the modem we got 10 months ago. DH says “How long have we been customers?” 19 years. “And after paying bills on time in full for 19 years, didn’t anyone think it was odd that we didn’t pay a $100 bill? Why didn’t anyone notify us?”

Supposedly we got 5 shut off notices (nope…never seen them) so DH tells the guy this and he says, “We mailed them to you what else could we have done?” DH says “You have our phone number for God’s sake!” Long silence. Then more charges removed. The whole thing was so ridiculous. So that has been my last 2 days.

The other thing I did was visit the GYN to see where I am in the menopause process. Had lab drawn and having an ultrasound next week. Then last night the front storm door literally fell off our house. It was hanging on by a thread of caulking at the top.

Oh, and the lightening supposedly “blew up” my dad’s teeth so now he wants them all pulled. Does it ever end LOL.

Well I’m watching the A&M game and cheering them on but it’s halftime and I’m doing the dishes, so better go. I’ll catch up tomorrow. Take care everyone…Meg from rainy and cool Omaha
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Meg...Do let that fur fly!!! Wtf. Was this due to a full moon? I had my own issues too. What is that!? So glad to see your posts again though.

After some loss on the scale, don't you think I should see some more tomorrow?:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Sue in SD - it's good that we're living in the time that we are, you can phone, email, even write to your friend. I know how hard it is. Life goes on.....

meg - incompetence, that's all I can say. Some people just don't think.

Went to that barbecue place. From the review I read, it said that the food was fantastic. I didn't think it was all that good. The review said to try the corn fritters. Thank goodness I just took part of one, because I took a small bite, I didn't think it was that good. Didn't have the coleslaw or pickles or chips. The review said the beans weren't that good, but I thought they were the best part. This place is your typical North Carolina BBQ -- talk about culture shock! The atmosphere was good, I thought. You sat at these picnic tables in a barn, they played bluegrass music (not my cup of tea). You know what was the worst part for me? While the band was playing, these kids got up and danced. One kid was oh so cute, reminded me so much of Bryan, that I got home and made the lemon pound cake for this guy who is going to come here to show Vince how to close up the pool. We were originally told we didn't need to close it up, but it was just so much of a hassle last winter that we're going to. Anyway, while they were installing the pool, every day (as you remember) I'd give the guys a baggie with cookies or muffins or something. Anyway, I'm making this cake for Justin. Now I feel so "yuk" Seeing that kid just reminded me how I'll never see any of his children and that makes me so sad. What the h*** happened to him?????

I'm WAAYYYY over on calories today. Well, tomorrow is another day.

Vince was saying that we need to take Jess there, just for laughs. We probably will but I think I'll just have the baked beans, maybe have two or three helpings. They were gooooooddddd. Vince tried their bbq sauce and said it was the typical Carolina bbq sauce -- vinegary. I guess it's what you were brought up with. We never had vinegar in our bbq sauce so to me it tastes really odd.

I don't know why, but my eyes are really watering now.

Also made these maple beef chops. Vince doesn't care for the salmon loaf I made, he would eat it but he can have these chops and I'll have the salmon loaf.

Michele in NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    AHHHHH...I hate this feeling. I'm right now just getting out of my "well, I'm way over on the calories for today, so I might as well make it worth it".

I guess I just need to accept the fact that Bryan has chosen a wife who has no interest whatsoever in having any type of relationship with me.

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We’re home! We made it 400 miles with a 42 year old aluminum fishing boat and trailer. This boat is older than both of my kids but our marriage predates it. (It was the new improved boat bought by my FIL a year after we were married.) Everything worked well during the drive, and we arrived to heavy rain and good neighbors who helped us put the boat on our driveway apron. TGFGN! (Thank God for Good Neighbors.) We had a good visit with DSIL and DBIL. There was lots of good (fattening) food, and companionship. We enjoyed our visit, worked hard, and are very glad to be home.:love:

Joyce: I’m happy for you that the funeral is over and so many positive things happened.:flowerforyou:

Heather: Is the trip worth the stress and worries? (My vote is YES!) :bigsmile: Have a good time and tell all when you get back.:flowerforyou:

Renny: Congrats on the surprise weight loss.:flowerforyou:

Amanda: Congratulations on a successful surgery. I’m so glad you’re back!:bigsmile: :heart: :bigsmile:

Gail: I hope you and your sisters have a great trip to Branson.:flowerforyou:

Sandy: Your story makes me so sad for you and also very impressed with your strength. I hope you will be able to put all of this behind you now that your mom is gone. I know it won’t be easy and feelings might persist for a time. Hugs to you. :flowerforyou:

Sue in SD: I’m sorry your friend is moving away. I hope you’ll be able to stay in touch on line. I’ve reconnected with lost friends on facebook and I treasure knowing them again. (Facebook is another matter.):tongue::wink:

Meg: You’ve had your hands full lately. I hope things settle down and the stress disappears.:flowerforyou:

Michele: Hugs to you. May things improve and your heartaches ease.:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:

Katla in Wet NW Oregon

September goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
    3. Drink at least 4 glasses of water daily.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks Katla :flowerforyou: :heart: It' wonderful to have those special neighbors. I because of my MS I always worry about your husband. But as my family always say about me, I do what I can anyway, whether the MS is telling me to stop or not.

Yes, I have really good memories to keep in my heart from this weekend. But to my husband all he took out of it was that he has lost his Mom.. Oh, and that I look at everything though rose colored glasses. His brother is the most wonderful eample of how good things can come out of bad. He has had two girls from two separate marriages. He has been overheard saying that he has no children. Now that hurts to the core. So this week I was able to befriend both of these lovely girls. And I don't care if Dan wanted them there or not. I wanted them there. They were craving the sense of belonging and when I told them the size of the family they would be meeting they were jsut delighted. One of the girls is actually a grandma herself(whew, I'm glad that it will be a long time for me) and that little 18 month old boy jut went up to his great grandpa and held out his arms. Talk about one beaming man. I doubt he has stopped grinning. He enjoyed talking to them, getting to know them and took them and their families all out to lunch after the graveside service!!!! Talk about grandma's death creating a miracle. My husband does't see that. he still just knows that his Mother is dead.
  • terrimag
    terrimag Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sandy...Take Care, you are a strong woman and a good mom. :flowerforyou:

Terri, from southern Oregon
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Michele - don't lose heart! Our second son went through a similar distancing from the family for a number of years, but has now reconnected. Gail
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    It was lovely waking up in my own bed today. :bigsmile: The rain is falling but the river is still moderate. We’ll see how long it all lasts. The river has plenty of space to hold more water within its banks for now. The hummingbirds who grace our feeders year round are starting to perch on an electrical wire that leads to the light above our BBQ on the covered potion of our deck. They are obviously trying to get out of the rain. I've never seen them do that before. I hope they eat the spiders up there while they're at it! :wink: The boat we hauled home is in the driveway. DH wants to bring in seats and cushions and dry them and also wants to get the boat into the storage unit. This will take some manipulation and moving large objects around inside the storage unit. We have a busy day ahead.:ohwell:

Joyce: My sympathy goes to your grieving husband. You did many good things regarding your MIL and making space in the family for your BIL’s girls is one of them. After my mom passed and all the chores were done, I slid into a depression. It didn’t show up right away, but took several months to manifest itself. I hope this doesn’t happen to you or your husband, but counseling and the right antidepressant did wonders for me. I’m hoping telling you this will provide useful if the problem comes up and not create unneeded worry now.:flowerforyou:

Michele: My experience is similar to Gail’s. Both of my kids distanced themselves from us for a time as young adults and we now have good relationships with both of them. It takes time for them to establish a sense of self as independent from their family, and mine both moved long distances and did things to establish themselves as separate in their own eyes. It took several years to “get them back.” Having them back doesn’t mean there are never any issues or disagreements, but it is nice to be developing new relationships with them as adults.:flowerforyou:

Everyone: I’m thinking about October goals. I’ll bet they’re a LOT like my September goals.

Katla in Rainy NW Oregon

September goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
    3. Drink at least 4 glasses of water daily.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,299 Member
    Options
    Here I am in Rome and installed in the apartment.. So far all we've done is visit the train station where they have a supermarket and buy some bits for breakfast etc. And fresh milk for our tea!

It is threatening tp pour with rain this evening so I decided not to stray far for dinner. I didn't really want to speak Italian on the phone for the first evening so rang a restaurant that had good reviews and that spoke English. I have booked for 7.30 so we will soon be setting out. It's only a few streets away.
    The flat is small, but adequate, though the area is not picturesque. Lots of hooting cars in the street, but the windows look quite thick. It is very warm at the moment so they are open. I have brought my earplugs!
    I always find that first day very disorientating, but it soon gets to feel like home. Then just when you know your way about you have to go home!
    I have been very hungry today. Already up to 1200 cals before dinner! I lost .5 lb this morning so was pleased and don't want to put it all back on! Will have to choose carefully tonight.

Love to all.
    Heather from Rome, Italy
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Joyce- So sorry for all you have had to deal with. You have been so supportive for all of your family members. Be sure to take some time for yourself. You are a very kind and strong women.

Sandy- I am sorry that all of that came up just as you are trying to celebrate your birthday. I hope your birthday dinner went well and you had an opportunity to get to know your son's GF.

Meg- Sounds like you have been very busy! Hope your schedule gets easier soon! How can companies be so incompetent and stay in business?

I have not been logging my food on here because I am taking part in a pilot app through my doctor's office. I don't have time for both. I have been getting in exercise on most days, eating well, and always get my water in. I want to up the exercise, but seem to always run out of time. I am trying to get ahead this weekend. IF I can it will free up some time in the evenings for the upcoming week. I have been missing the kayaking that we were doing. DH had a very bad sprain (right foot) and hasn't been able to go. I can't get the kayak up onto the rack he has built for the truck- so no way to transport it to the lakes. Ironically, DH is teaching kayaking today for LL Bean. He is still on crutches, but uses their equipment and has another person to do all of the lifting.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Deb A from sunny CNY
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Sun.Daughter looked beautiful for Homecoming and had a great time.
    Gonna take an active rest day.Walked to church.Beautiful fall day.
    Hugs to any of you that need them.:heart::heart: :heart:
    Congrat`s to those who lost:drinker: :drinker:
    Hugs
    jane
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Pic is daughter from Homecoming and me.
    jane
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Happy and peaceful Sunday to all. It is absolutely gorgeous here today. Came home from church had some homemade “skinny” zucchini bread and coffee, and read the paper. That is my favorite way to spend time.

I have decided I need a new life LOL. I seriously need to take charge of things around here, at least where it concerns me. I am too scattered, too crazy, too busy, and always living for tomorrow when I need to be living in the moment. I made a good start by telling the boss no more evening clinicals. And I’m putting my foot down and getting some changes to my workload. I need to get rid of some of this clinical. I have such great fun in the ICU and in all the areas I do clinical , but I need to slow it down a bit. I must say this ICU clinical is my favorite by far.

Renny: I hope another blob of yellow fat falls off when you weigh in again!

Michele: keep those lines of communication open; you never know what will happen in the future. DS may just come around one day. I know that DD#1 is seriously regretting her choice to move out already. I heard from one of her friends that she got fired from yet another job. I just hope this hair thing works out for her.

Katla: so glad you are home safe and sound and that your trip was so wonderful. Calories or not we all need these great times in our lives!

Joyce: you just keep those rose colored glasses on or whatever it is that gives you such a kind heart and such a loving disposition! A couple of times lately when my father has been driving me crazy I thought “Now what would Joyce do here?”

Heather: you sound as if you are all settled in to have a great time. Enjoy, enjoy!!! And congrats on the loss!

Deb: we have looked at the LLBean kayaks several times. Next spring we plan to buy some and give it a try around here. We have been kayaking on the ocean and just adored it.

Sandy: in my busy early week I missed the post on what has been happening with you. It sounds like you are having a hard time so I am sending my prayers and best wishes for you.

Well DD#2 the amazing chef has dinner nearly ready; cauliflower salad bowl, eggplant “rollatini” (think lasagna roll-ups made with eggplant instead of pasta) and garlic bread. For dessert she made pumpkin snickerdoodles from skinnytaste.com YUM We have some wine from NY called Pasta and Pizzaria Too which is supposed to go well with tomato-sauce based foods, so I’m cracking that open!

Enjoy your day. I’m not sure what the evening will bring….NO BASEBALL tonight…..WAAAAAAAAA

Take care, Meg from glorious Omaha
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Anybody use the MFP app on ipad? I upgraded the operating system this morning and now my app quit working. GRRR! I can't log my food or exercise using the app. Good thing there are other ways. I thought I saw something about that on the community board last week, but didn't pay attention. I'll search for it.

Beautiful day today, but this morning was totally socked in with fog. We couldn't even see the water while standing right on the dock! Good thing we knew where it was. But it was still beautiful and interesting. My husband took several pics of beautiful spider webs coated with tiny droplets, like strings of pearls. The fog burned off about noon, and then it was perfect. Now we're back at home and I'm getting ready to go pick up the kids for swimming. My son said one daughter may not get to swim because she was being a bully, so he's going to make her sit on the bench and watch. I don't know what she did, but I'm sure I'll hear all about it.

I made baked sweet and sour chicken for dinner last night and it was really good, so tonight I'm going to finish off the leftovers. Hubby wants hot dogs. He's so easy to please. As long as he doesn't have to eat my no-salt bread he's happy.

Hope you are all having a great day!

Sylvia