LESS Alcohol ~ FEBRUARY 2023 ~ One Day at A Time

Options

Replies

• itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 3,980 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard of Seedlip or tried their non-alcohol spirits?

https://seedlipdrinks.com/en-us/
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    @itladyee although i am one who says you cant expect NA drinks to taste like the real thing, I have tried seedlip and I find it tastes more like mildly aromatic water than the other NA spirits I’ve tried. I think Lyre’s or the -ish (“gin-ish” rum-ish) brand does a better job. I also think gin and clear spirits are harder to mimic overall bc they have fewer components to play with (you can’t barrel age them for instance to mimic a “real” brown spirit). They often get overpowered by the mixer, but they don’t taste like much on their own. I prefer playing around with bitters and high quality tonics or ginger beer or other good mixers or just seltzer for mocktails or using various tea bases with them.
  • itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 3,980 Member
    Options

@Sinisterbarbie1 ~ Thank you
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,572 Member
    Options
    I am in.

I am Dawn, I live in SE BC Canada
    My ongoing goal remains, 16-20 AF days per month.
    I had 17AF days for January (a long month)

I do this diary style to keep track, and I post the next morning

Saturday Feb 04 - Drinks, one of them out. Having a nice Sunday so far. Plan is AF today, and to stay above 50% for the rest of the month. Planned drinks (and dinner) pre-ballet Wednesday (Cinderella).
    Sunday Feb 05 - AF - Felt tempted watching the Grammy's, but didn't imbibe.
    Monday Feb 06 - AF - Had some work stress and definitely wanted to have drinks afterward, but didn't. Planned AF for Tuesday so as to be "fresh" to enjoy the ballet on Wednesday.

Rolling total: 4AF days out of 6 days. 50% AF won't cut it to reach my goal in 28 days (reminder to self)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    @MissMay aaahhhh.... so beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Sweet.

@itladyee I stumbled upon an entire AF shop in NYC West Village, and it opened my eyes to the huge market out there. Had no idea before that, and TBH, the vast array was a little overwhelming. Read bunches of reviews and tried a couple things. Generally speaking, it seems AF wines are generally not highly rated, although there are some rose sparkling or Reisling sparkling versions that have enough going on to taste like an interesting adult beverage although not convincingly like actual wine. I would love to learn otherwise, however, as I am mostly a wine drinker, too. I agree totally with @Sinisterbarbie1 that they are suggestive of spirits rather than an identical taste, and to be truthful, that can be super interesting and satisfying nonetheless. I really liked the things I tried, but they were expensive(!) and I did not rebuy after the taste test. They were:
    • Monday gin- great juniper taste but weak; easily overwhelmed by mixers unless using a lot
    • Ritual tequila- my favorite of them all... so creative
    • Lyres amaro and vermouth- required refrigeration after opening and recommended consumption in 6 weeks (I took longer); tasted great mixed with sparkling water for a spritz or combined for a mocktail.
    Experiment and have fun with it!
  • RockinRobyn672
    RockinRobyn672 Posts: 907 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    @MissMay What a beautiful and serene photo! How I miss Florida! Where was it taken?

@dawnbgethealthy Can't wait to hear about the ballet.

@lmlmrn Agree with you that it's all about the glass! heh, heh