Newly 18 year old girl trying to lose stubborn belly fat

Options
22emgp
22emgp Posts: 1 Member
edited February 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
All my life since I turned 15, I have always been 120 lbs. all of a sudden I am now at 150 and have never hated my body more, I’m not used to having this extra chub since I played sports all the time and was always naturally ripped. I’m not very confident anymore and would like to go back to being skinny and a little toned now that my graduation is coming up. Does anyone have any advice on losing that belly fat at the front and sides?!?!? And kind of fast

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,640 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    You can’t spot reduce fat, it comes off where it feels like it due to genetics. Losing too fast is a bad idea. If you mean graduation in 4 months you can lose around 16 or so pounds by then.

It’s a matter of cutting back on calories by a good amount. Start being active again also. You want to preserve your muscle mass as much as you want to lose fat.
  • francistodayandalways
    Options
    Hi, in my expirience you have to cut your calories but no more than 300 cals, in emergencies maybe to 500. Also you can't lose only belly fat, when you lose weight you are gonna lose fat all around your body and yeah that depend of your genetics.
    Be confidence when you are chubby is a little dificult but is all about your attitude. So only live your life for no regrets in the future 🧡
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I am sure that when she arrives internet auntie @AnnPT77 will have some awesome advice for our newly minted 18yo who is about to graduate!

One things that I am fairly sure that @AnnPT77 will suggest, and if she doesn't, *I* will, is that WEIGHT LOSS IS NOT A GAME. We don't go on a two week cabbage soup diet to lose 5lbs to get into the smaller size bikini to go on vacation and down a dozen mai-tais by the pool and regain the 5lbs with another 5lbs worth of friends to continue in that manner into a lifetime of weight loss and regain and an ever increasing spiral.

Well. The above sentence is a complete lie.

We, using the word we generically, actually do exactly that. And as a consequence provide profits and employment to all the nice people who work in the diet industry.

But i digress! Just in case @22emgp you actually see this post before too many other responses roll in, a very useful piece of information that is missing from your OP is what is your current height. and, btw, did you height change at all during these past three years?

Cheers!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    As Pav mentioned, we don't have your stats. Your body changes as it matures, you don't stay the same. I would encourage you to start good habits now that will see you well for the rest of your life. Exercise, eating the correct amount for your height and age, and no quick fixes. Start a program for the future you NOW. Just be sensible and informed. You're in the right place.

As for cutting your calories too low, it's not a good idea. You can do permanent damage (no one ever tells you this), so take it slow and steady. You can search for numerous threads on what has happened to other posters that cut too low, and how they regret it. Good luck with your future goals.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    The problem lies with the fact that when you're active and playing sports it's easy to create an eating style that is reasonable and doesn't create weight gain but that is a whole lot more food than you need when the sport is no longer going on.

Find a new sport. Take up something that sounds fun. It doesn't have to be a team sport - bicycling, kayaking, running, hiking, dancing, whatever. Just find something.

Other than that, log food, learn from your FOOD diary.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    22emgp wrote: »
    All my life since I turned 15, I have always been 120 lbs. all of a sudden I am now at 150 and have never hated my body more, I’m not used to having this extra chub since I played sports all the time and was always naturally ripped. I’m not very confident anymore and would like to go back to being skinny and a little toned now that my graduation is coming up. Does anyone have any advice on losing that belly fat at the front and sides?!?!? And kind of fast

Am I reading this right, that you put weight on as you moved from a teenager (medically a child) to an adult? Weighing the same at 21 as you did at 15 is not usual, and may not be healthy for many people. (I’m guessing your age based on your graduation).

You can choose to lose weight in various ways but please ensure you’re doing it for the right reasons, and not because you’ve become an adult with an adult physique. If I’m reading that wrong then totally ignore me!
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Some things ---- you haven't given your age but it's not really realistic to assume that you should weigh the same as you did when you were 15
    assuming you're an adult now.

So, I think you might want to take some time to figure out what is actually a healthy weight range for you bc depending on how tall you are 150 might be totally fine....

There is no way to reduce fat only from where you want to and it's never a good idea to lose weight 'fast'.

So, no advice I can give there.

It sounds though - like you simply used to be more active -- so I'm not sure you need to change anything about your eating habits (unless your eating habits have also changed significantly)....just get back to being active as you were.