March 2023 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,440 Member
    Options
    @Laurz9191 That's crazy about detonation day! Seems like they would be able to figure out how to disarm a WWII bomb these days. And yes that sucks having to plan around that to get to your race on top of losing an hour. Good luck!

Nice shoes @shanaber! I received my new pair today, and hopefully will get to use them in the morning.

@tarun_yadavA nice running and hope you enjoy the cheesecake. I've been to the Cheesecake Factory once, but didn't have cheesecake, but it looked really good on the surrounding tables 😁
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I had read that article before. This is a difficult topic here with the context that though we're all runners, we probably actually came here because we were, or are, overweight. Which makes it even more important, but complicated, to listen to what the article is saying and avoid the perils of what can be a very serious issue.
    I learned pretty quickly that I couldn't sustain the volume of training I do on 1300 net calories, which is what the formulas told me I needed to maintain. What I have yet to learn is exactly where the magic place is because either I'm underfuelling or I'm overfuelling and gaining 'fluff'.

Crazy week trying to get ready to leave for our trip on Friday, juggle teenager drama, training but trying not to overtrain and getting ahead with work to make up for the week I'll be off. At least it's taking my mind off the looming marathon. *gulp!*

@eleanorhawkins - interesting that what you came away from the article with is so different from what I did. I thought his entire premise was that we should never eat too low and always be sure to fuel well. I don't think any endurance athlete can survive and excel on 1300 calories. He was actually disparaging of coaches that encourage their runners to eat less and be even more lean than they may already be at risk of their long term health and running ability. Maybe you read a different article? This one was just written on 03/14/23 and his previous articles (linked) are along the same lines of fuel your runs/workouts sufficiently. Don't limit carbs and eat enough protein. Which is basically what I was told by my nutritionist.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Happy Birthday @Teresa502! I don't know about you but we have so many family members born in March!
    @laurz9191 - that is crazy about the bomb detonation day and kind of scary! Also sad that they are still finding them after all of these years. My daughter was evacuated from her college when they found what they thought were undetonated bombs at a Howard Hughes site nearby. It was scary but ended up being nothing.
    @quilteryoyo - you amaze me with all your activity, working, running, taking care of yards, etc.!
    @tarun_yadavA - I am not a huge cheesecake fan. I like it but find it is really too rich for me. I can make one piece from Cheesecake Factory last me a week just having a bite here and there. I like regular plain NY cheesecake with fresh strawberries the best.

I took a video of the rain this afternoon. It was like this all day. Our patio flooded and there was a river running down our front yard. The streets were all flooded as were the freeways and it still hasn't stopped. @chris_in_cal - how was is down your way? I am hoping tomorrow won't be so bad!
    https://youtu.be/qlX5malyh6c
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @shanaber I had read that article before. This is a difficult topic here with the context that though we're all runners, we probably actually came here because we were, or are, overweight. Which makes it even more important, but complicated, to listen to what the article is saying and avoid the perils of what can be a very serious issue.
    I learned pretty quickly that I couldn't sustain the volume of training I do on 1300 net calories, which is what the formulas told me I needed to maintain. What I have yet to learn is exactly where the magic place is because either I'm underfuelling or I'm overfuelling and gaining 'fluff'.

Crazy week trying to get ready to leave for our trip on Friday, juggle teenager drama, training but trying not to overtrain and getting ahead with work to make up for the week I'll be off. At least it's taking my mind off the looming marathon. *gulp!*

@eleanorhawkins - interesting that what you came away from the article with is so different from what I did. I thought his entire premise was that we should never eat too low and always be sure to fuel well. I don't think any endurance athlete can survive and excel on 1300 calories. He was actually disparaging of coaches that encourage their runners to eat less and be even more lean than they may already be at risk of their long term health and running ability. Maybe you read a different article? This one was just written on 03/14/23 and his previous articles (linked) are along the same lines of fuel your runs/workouts sufficiently. Don't limit carbs and eat enough protein. Which is basically what I was told by my nutritionist.

@shanaber no, no, I completely agree with him, was just saying it's probably an even harder mindset for many here to embrace!
    My 1300 calories is what MFP and other calculators think I need to maintain, and it's *kitten*! Just that runger with high volume training (for me) makes it hard to work out how much is actually too much.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options

I have seen quite a few posts about how do I lose weight while training for a marathon etc... I am not sure but to me I want to advise, lose the weight first, then train. and fuel the training.

@SummerSkier 100% agree! Either train for a marathon, or lose weight. Can't do both.
    I put on about 3Lbs over the (incredibly long! 🤦) 5 weeks I trained for mine.

There are more Rest days than normal (from long runs), you're sore (so less mobile on said Rest Day) ... And your hunger goes through the roof. Not to mention the carb-loading too

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    @tarun_yadavA Cheesecake Factory has so many options! Some of them are over the top and (I agree with your wife here) barely qualify as a cheesecake. But they are tasty. I like a cheesecake with lemon or fruit most of the time but sometimes, only chocolate will do!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,712 Member
    Options
    March 1 – 5.05 miles
    March 4 – 12.01 miles
    March 6 – 5.02 miles
    March 8 – 5.09 miles
    March 11 – 18.97 miles
    March 15 – 5.14 miles
    March 16 – 5.15 miles
    March 18 – 8.02 miles
    March 20 – 3.01 miles
    March 21 – 5.01 miles
    March 22 – 4.07 miles
    Total – 76.54 miles

It was raining lightly when we ran this morning. The temp was a warm 52 though so it felt ok.

Goodness @Laurz9191 – a bomb detonation sounds scary enough. I can’t imagine trying to manage the logistics of a race around it. I’m surprised the city approved both to happen on the same weekend.

@Tarun_yadavA – I almost always get the same cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory on the rare occasions that I go. It is the Reese’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake Cheesecake. I still remember the first cheesecake I ever had from there. It was at the Chicago location and was the Godiva Chocolate – so good! Hello, my name is Teresa and I have a cheesecake problem...

@eleanorhawkins – I can’t wait to hear about your Camino walk! I’m going to be living vicariously through you next week.

@shanaber – That was a downpour. We had rain today but just light rain.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    @teresa502 Reese's PB chocolate cheesecake sounds AMAZING! I <3 a chocolate-PB combo.

@eleanorhawkins I somehow missed that your camino walk was next week. I have that on my someday list, so can't wait to hear about your experience.
  • Laurz9191
    Laurz9191 Posts: 371 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    @Teresa502 The race I’m doing is in Hannover, which is a little over an hour drive away from my city. The race was planned way before my city knew they had to plan the detonation of most likely 3 bombs this time. They always try to make bomb detonations coincide with school breaks and the Easter vacation break starts Friday, so that some people will have left the city already. The bombs they have found in the past are unsafe to transport because they can’t be disarmed, so they have to do a controlled detonation involving lots of sandbags, water, and shipping containers filled with water.

@tarun_yadavA The cheesecake @teresa502 mentioned with the peanut butter sounds really good, but I would probably save the calories and opt for a small after eight mint gelato instead. Sorry @spl8- had to mention it ;).

@martaindale That’s really interesting what you said about the protein and carbs and the craving of carbs. That basically describes my fueling strategy. I generally try to listen to my body and throw it a bone, or two, or maybe even three when I’m really craving something. I try to eat lots of foods with higher level of proteins, but I also need carbs to feel satisfied. I always attempt to balance everything out and stop myself from going crazy (with the rungries) on the carbs.

@shanaber Good look with those storms! There must be a lot of flooding going on. Socal isn’t really made to handle that much rain! I have the issue on rest days, that my body still wants to eat the same amount as it does on training days. Maybe that would change if my training intensity were decreased?

At the moment I have been in “maintenance” for a little over half a year. I don’t really feel that I need to lose more weight (I lost a total of about 30 lbs). A half a year isn’t that long, so I’m just trying to make sure that I am in a sweet spot with training and diet so everything is sustainable in the long run. Like, if I were to not be training as intensely, I definitely would need to readjust my diet, but for now I just try to be healthy a lot if the time and weigh in regularly to make sure everything “checks out”. And, not getting pregnant again would help with the maintenance too ;).

I’m not planning on losing weight while training for my marathon, but would have nothing against gaining some more muscle :).

Today was a recovery run for me. 5km at an average heart rate of 120. So far for March 158.3/175km.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 @martaindale yeah, we'll be walking Saturday to Thursday. I can't get into the forums from my phone, will post photos on Strava. Weather forecast seems to be improving, we might not get rained on all the time, just some of it. I was looking forward to it being cold but looks unlikely now, d'oh lol.