March 2023 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,712 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 haha, love it! Resurrecting the sweet tooth discussion!

Saturday [Indian]was two helpings of ice creams... Coconut, pistachio (we all picked! I did not eat all that to myself! Haha!)

Right..... :-)
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    @Laurz9191 Congrats on the new PR!! The medal is so cool. I love a unique medal! And perfect weather!! I’ll throw in my support for your marathon as well. You absolutely can do it. Find a training plan that you can fit into your life, embrace the total lack of free time for a few months, and go for it!
    Re:mile 10 fade. I went back to the race on strava, and you had a definite drop off at mile 10 but you were able to recover, which is good. That tells me your legs weren’t totally spent. Was there a change in the course at that point? More uphill, more wind? Your first couple of miles were a little faster than average, but not dramatically faster. Your pacing is pretty consistent until mile 10. You mentioned fuel and that you took a gel with around 5k to go. Is it possible that you needed fuel a touch sooner? Were you using the same stuff you do during training? During marathon training you will have plenty of opportunities to play around with fueling so it may be worth trying a slightly shorter fueling interval and see how that feels.
  • martaindale
    edited March 2023
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @Laurz9191 - Awesome accomplishment besting that PR from 2011! The medal is really neat too! I think the only time I had issues with my legs feeling tired like that during a HM was when I under fueled. Did you train with more so you didn't have an issue during the training? It may have been too much time between the two on the course and then took a bit for the last one to kick in and give you the boost to finish strong - so maybe add in a fourth and have them at the beginning and then every 30mins?

This is close to what I do. I eat a honey stinger waffle or some gummy bears in the corrals then take a gel at mile 3.5, 7, and 10 so they are pretty evenly spaced and I am fueling before I need it. I almost don’t need that 3rd gel but going without it is a set-up for a end of race fade. I need like half a gel, but what’s the point in that so I just take the whole thing and plan accordingly. My PR is almost 10 minutes slower than yours. I think if I were at your pace I’d shoot for mile 4.5 and 9 in addition to whatever you take in the corrals if you feel like a third is too much for you. I think @Scott6255 fuels at about 30 min intervals but uses half a gel at a time, so that might be an option as well. Smaller amounts closer together.
  • martaindale
    Options
    @shanaber Disappointing about the chocolate stout cake. It looks really rich! Will you try it again? With baking it seems like the 2nd effort is usually better for me than the first.
  • martaindale
    Options
    March total: 96.2/100 miles

3/4: 13.2 miles
    3/8: 4.2 miles
    3/9: 4 miles
    3/10: 5.1 miles
    3/11: 6.9 miles
    3/13: 4.1 miles
    3/14: 5.2 miles
    3/15: 4.1 miles
    3/17: 4.7 miles
    3/18: 9.1 miles
    3/21: 5.7 miles
    3/22: 3.1 miles
    3/23: 6.7 miles
    3/25: 10 miles
    3/26: 4 miles
    3/28: 6.1 miles

I went out to the neighborhood trail today. Our morning weather is all over the place, typical for spring here. Today was decent. Mid 60’s, cloudy, slight breeze. If it never got any warmer than this I would be happy.
    I went to Pilates again last night and had a new instructor. I really liked her style and will try to find her classes on the schedule moving forward.
  • ScienceofTeaching
    ScienceofTeaching Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The last few days have been a mess. Grades are due for report cards at school, husband has been sick, and the weather has been crummy. So haven't done much.

Finally had a day with okay weather and some time, so managed to get out for 1.5 mile walk with my coworker after school. Not sure where I stand for my goal. Will have to count soon and try to get what I need the next few days.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,712 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic I had forgotten about Stella! Glad she is enjoying the waist leash better this time. I agree with you that it is so much easier to get out when the weather is nice. I hope you have a bright, warm and sunshiny day!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Scott6255 , @Teresa502 , @katharmonic . I do feel a lot better today. I was able to get a fairly good night's sleep. I'm still going to take it easy, but hope to be back to near normal tomorrow.

Great running @Scott6255 . Looks like the weather was great for an outdoor run.

Have a great vacation @Teresa502 . Congratulations on being in the 100 mile club this month! You inspire me.

@katharmonic It sounds like you are doing great with your recovery and walks. I love that Stella is okay with the new waist leash and is doing good. Walking the neighborhood with friends sounds lovely.

@chris_in_cal Good luck with losing the weight. Sounds like you have a good plan in place. Depending on running alone is not always successful, as you know, because as the old saying goes, "you can't outrun your fork."

• tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo how are you feeling now? Hope you're feeling better? Guzzle lots of Water and stay hydrated!
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 well done on 100!! 🙌
    Awesome
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options
    Thanks @tarun_yadavA . See below for your answer.

I'm feeling pretty good today. I can tell I'm not quite back to normal, but I'm getting there. A good night's sleep last night really helped.

I went out to walk to the mailbox and then laps on the driveway to make 2 mile walk. I was a bit faster today, but didn't push it. 34:32 min, 2 miles, 3.5 mph pace, avg HR 101 bpm, max HR 120 bpm.

exercise.png