WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2023

Options

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Karen rodents! That's too bad. At least you aren't living with them. Hope they haven't done damage.

Annie in Delaware
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening all and sundry... and happy March birthdays!

Pip, you're a saint - at least you're connected by phone! Katla - Thinking about you, dear heart. Stick with Pip, she'll get you back to us.

Tere - All the sympathy in the world for you... I am not a caretaker, I never have been. My mother's words always come to mind: "Go outside and do some jumping jacks, you'll feel better." She wasn't much of a caretaker either. Amazing woman, but very little sympathy for sickies or hurties. Hang in there!

Kim - I'm so sorry about your mom's fall! Hope it's a quick healing... Many hugs while you walk through this one, kiddo. Just keep remembering you're strong enough, because you are.

Ginny - I always hated those counseling sessions. It was so much easier to talk to those who had the ability/skills and weren't using them than to talk to those who genuinely couldn't do the work. Scolding was always easier than saying "Perhaps you're not a good fit for this kind of work." I wasn't always tactful enough... and got in big trouble when a subordinate was telling me how unhappy she was because she didn't get promoted after she got her associates degree. She was angry all the time, lashing out at everyone around her. She asked me what I thought she should do. I said, "You should quit." She reported me for that... it was truth, but it wasn't what she wanted to hear.

Karen - such a wonderful way to spend an evening! I may have to steal "make nuggets." So much more pleasant than the reality... :smiley: I hope it isn't raccoons, too. We had to have our entire ductwork redone in metal in a house in Oregon as the original was the mylar ducting that looks like a spring wrapped in foil, and raccoons had made nests throughout. They're so destructive.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Kim ~ So sorry about your mom's fall. Know that the hours drive is no fun for you but glad you are always there for her.

Tracey ~ Hope you will be accepted in the new job is it is a good fit for you.

Katla ~ You are blessed that you have such a good friend like PIP to help you. Please do as she directs and go up to the desk for more help.

Rosemarie ~ Thinking about you as you go through this difficult time.

Happy Birthday to All the March Ladies who celebrate!

Carol in GA

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,569 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: Β»
    1 Point for me!

And I still listen to music on a CD the first time while I rip it.

06ybamch5vku.png

M in Oz

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I have done all those things! And still use my aol account :p also owned 8 tracks and watched beta tapes.
  • Anniesquats100
    Options
    I still use paper checks for some bills. I'm very private about my credit cards.

Annie in Delaware
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,355 Member
    Options
    Tere and Kim - (((HUGS))))

Flea - you have been on my mind a lot lately, probably since you aren't making regular visits to Oly any more and waving as you pass my exit on I-5 ;) Hope all is well in your world.

Tracey - crossing fingers on the new job - if it turns out to be what you want. ;) Do you know much about the place? If you get an interview they will likely give you a tour.

Rosemarie - more big (((hugs))) coming your way. <3

Ginny - OK, remind me. Have you officially put in for your retirement?

Lisa - I channeled you yesterday when I replaced some cupboard doors in the kitchen. Roger and his wife got brand new everything in their kitchen last summer and saved some of the old doors for me - all the houses in the subdivision had the same cabinets. Once I got a big enough screwdriver, it was a breeze. Unfortunately only 2 of the new doors fit, but I'll take it. How's the tub/shower project coming along?

I too don't like workmen in the house. Part of it is the dirt and racket which makes Rosie nuts, and the other part is security. I don't have anything sitting around in view that's valuable but I've become a little paranoid. I can see some workman innocently mentioning his friends "Oh, I replaced the _____ at a house and the widow lady had a _____ ."

Anyhow, I'm not sure I'm up to tackling faucet replacement at the bathroom sink. I'll probably go ahead and buy a new one, make sure Roger is available for backup, and give it a whirl. Very grateful for all the wrenches, pliers and tools in DH's shop. I discovered his adjustable pipe wrench is great for grabbing the lids off cans. My hands don't have much squeeze strength, these are just the ticket!

From Food to Freedom - I watched a plant based diet film this morning. Participants with diabetes went through a program eating only plant based foods for ten days and many had remarkable benefits. The film did a 6 month follow-up - some stayed on the program and lost weight, dropped a lot of meds. Others weren't able to stay on the program.

Gosh, the foods they prepared looked great. I eat a lot less meat than I used to but depend on plenty of dairy for protein. As Rosemarie mentioned a while back, cooking for one is challenging. It was neat seeing folks gathered around these dishes and sampling all kinds of great looking cuisine.

I might try one plant-only day w/o dairy and meat and see if I sleep better and wake up less stiff in the morning.

Anyhow - if anyone is interested, here's the link to sign up and get free viewing of the film for the next 7 days.:

https://plantpurecommunities.org/exclusive-advance-film-screening-special-baker-creek-offer/?_kx=963hs6ZAOvc-AWD5A9gkKQzMMSR6vnDsqukbbX9VlZY=.VaMbkj

Ok ladies, better scoot. Make it a great day!

Lanette B)
    Breezy and chilly SW WA State

• Anniesquats100
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Lisa good luck with MySymptoms. Food allergies and IBS type things run in my family, but it's so mysterious. I remember when I first heard that the order of the food matters. Like if I start with a nice bland potato, then I can be a little more risky with the next item I eat. Or why was I reacting to trace amounts of dairy before, but now that my system is quieter, I can eat lactose free yogurt? So many variables and as soon as you figure out a rule, it gets invalidated. Then frustration, like why do they put milk lactose in so many medicines? All I know is that my system is much calmer the last ten years or so, with no real reason (maybe the divorce?)

MySymptoms sounds like a great idea. Hope you find your triggers and are able to calm your system. Like you said, the data entry is worthwhile to see the results.

Annie in Delaware
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    March, 2023 Action for happiness.org

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate a good donut from an Italian bakery!
    Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 1/15-(100%,100%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 1/31– (84%,86%,)
    Arm weights twice a week 1 /10β€” (100%, 60%hurt my elbow,)
    Meditation: daily. 1/31 (82%(started Feb))

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 1/8–(100%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. (7,700,110%,98519,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 0/2 β€”(100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 1:16 β€”(100%,100%)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)16/64–(100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2β€”(100%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 1/20– -(100%,88%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 7/12 (100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDRβ€”β€”3/12β€”(100%.100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71 (100%,100%)
    Decided that if I do more than stated I will not grade higher than 100% 2/5/23

January Met β€”100%
    February met β€”-90%
    March met met
    April met
    May met
    June met
    July met β€” met
    August met
    September met
    October met β€”
    November metβ€”
    December metβ€”

1. Set an intention to live with awareness and kindness. I intend to live with more awareness and kindness every day.
    2. Notice three things you find beautiful in the outside world. The blue water of Lea Lake, Snow on the mountains at a distance, walking a nature trail. All at Bottomless Lakes State Park.
    3. Start today by appreciating your body and that you are alive.
    4. Notice how you speak to yourself and choose to use kind words.
    5. Bring to mind people you care about and send love to them.
    6. Have a β€˜no plans’ day and notice how that feels.
    7. Take three calm breaths at regular intervals during your day.
    8. Eat mindfully. Appreciate the taste, texture and email of your food.
    9. Take a full breath in and out before you reply to others.
    10. Get outside and notice how the weather feels on your face.
    11. Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee.
    12. Listen deeply to someone and really hear what they are saying.
    13. Pause to watch the sky or clouds for a few minutes today.
    14. Find ways to enjoy any chores or tasks that you do.
    15. Stop. Breathe. Notice. Repeat regularly.
    16. Get really absorbed with an interesting or creative activity.
    17. Look around and spot three thing you find unusual or pleasant.
    18. If you find yourself rushing, make an effort to slow down.
    19. Appreciate nature around you wherever you are.
    20. Focus on what makes you and others happy today.
    21. Listen to a piece of music without doing anything else.
    22. Notice something that is going well, even if today feels difficult.
    23. Tune into your feelings, without judging or trying to change them.
    24. Appreciate your hands and all the things they enable you to do.
    25. Focus your attention on the good things you take for granted.
    26. Choose too spend less times looking at screens today.
    27. Cultivate a feeling of loving-kindness towards others today.
    28. Notice when you are tired and take a break as soon as possible.
    29. Choose a different route today and see what you notice.
    30. Mentally scan your body and notice what you are feeling.
    31. Discover the joy in the simple things of life.

RVRita
  • kevrit
    Options
    Machka 2 points for me.

Never have I ever:
    Had a myspace account
    An AOL address

PS, My birthday is in March too! The third, and my anniversary is the 12th. 31 years together, 26 years married.

RVRita
  • kevrit
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: Β»
    Too Many NO's.....Never sent or received a fax/no AOL/no MySpace/never owned an encyclopedia/no Walkman or Boombox.

I can really sympathize with Katla. I spent over an hour trying to figure out how to download grocery coupons to my phone. Then DH had a fit because he couldn't activate his debit card due to not using it in 6 mos. I finally called the bank and got that done for him. This after listening to him rant, rave and throw things when he tried to get it done. He has no patience at all. :(:'( Rant Over! :)

Carol in GA

My husband is the same way with his phone. No patience for technology at all!’

RVRita