Workouts that are not mundane

Options
What kind of workouts or changes do you make to have them feel less mundane? Switch of music, weights, outside, differ gym?

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,166 Member
    Options
    First suggestion is to try a variety of workouts to find what you enjoy today. I say "today" because our tastes evolve over time, and what you hated as a teen may be your new favorite today, and vice versa. Be willing to try things which don't seem obvious to you, because you never know what may cause a switch to click in your head and say, wow, that was fun! Fun is crucial in working out, because it can help tremendously with getting you to return to do it again. So try your hand at a variety of things, give them an honest try. If it doesn't do anything for you, move on and try something else.

For example, as a teen I was a runner, earning my letterman's jacket in both track sprints and cross country distance. When I wanted to return to fitness as an adult, I naturally tried running first since that's what I remembered enjoying, but it was absolute torture, both mentally and physically. Yet when I tried lifting weights, I discovered a love affair which has lasted a decade and a half.

Now, even loving to lift as I do, over time of doing the exact same thing every time I find my enthusiasm starting to fade slightly. So I change things up every three months, choosing a new routine to follow. I don't change EVERYTHING, just something...swap order of exercises, go from medium weights with high reps to heavy weights with low reps, combine back/chest day or separate them, etc.

So try your hand at a variety of things, find the one which "clicks", and stick with it. It may be something you never thought to try before...

Walking
    Running
    Cycling
    Elliptical
    Rowing
    Weight lifting
    Team sports (soccer, basketball, etc)
    Tennis
    Raquetball
    Swimming
    Dancing
    Martial Arts