WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    Good Evening,
    Man......what a day......Took old migraine med this morning as I didn't know how I would react with the new med. Went to work, routed pick up and deliveries, restarted computers. Left for electrical cardiologist. He said that my heart is really healthy. The tachycardia is so rare and short lived in most instances, that he is not concerned. He would really like my heart to stay slower during the day, but with me getting dizzy on this med, he isn't changing it right now. He is not concerned with BP. More concerned with it dropping so low after taking the medicine (another reason to not change the dosage). So for now, keep taking the medicine, keep eating well, and start exercising. I am allowed to walk, dance, or yoga. He wants me to build up endurance. No HITT exercises and no jogging, skipping, or hopping. HR no more than 145. So for now I can't walk the driveway (hills) but can walk around house. Yay.....All in all good appointment. I go back in 3 months. Oh, and Magnesium down to 2 times a day instead of 2. So now I take medicines at 7am and 7 pm instead of 7, 2, 7, and 10! Afterwards, I walked over and spent a short time talking with my youngest daughter. I think that was good for both of us. She works at the hospital supplying the medical equipment people need when they are released home. She is the liaison for Medical Supply Company. Then I headed back to work....................................

So much for limiting STRESS!!!! Computers acting up again-rrrrr! My mouse died, changed batteries, restarted computer, still had issues with mine, but the other was working okay. Called California again. He got me back up and running but things were still off. He said my computer needed upgraded. Not enough RAM now that we have a couple of years of data on it. So shopping on line I went. Yes, I could have just added RAM, but the computer is 4 y/o which is old for our shop computers. So the new computer will be at shop on Friday. I still couldn't get mine to work properly. Then I couldn't get my mouse to work again!!!!! By now all I wanted to do was close up shop and cry. SIL says, so close up (of course) as she was leaving at 2 pm. I messed with the mouse for the next 30 mins. Finally I found an old corded mouse, plugged it in, and wala! It all worked much better!!!!!!!! Still really need the upgraded computer, but at least workable. I need to get a new home laptop, but am holding out for now. I will deal with that in a calmer mind. DH says the shop should buy it as I use it mainly for work, so will wait for a little while. We will see.....

Made dinner when got home. Eggs and toast.....easy right.......the bread I bought last week had started to mold-REALLY???? I just pulled off the moldy part, ate dinner, and threw out the loaf.
    Took new migraine medicine. Yes, it seemed to help I think, but made me so tired! Head still achy after 4 hours, will take old med shortly. Should be working, but am spending time with you.

Kim Vent all you need and know that we are here for you! We all just really wish we could be there to help you and hug you. The only advice I have is to continue your countdown and take care of you! Relationships especially with parents are always complicated. Only you know how you can handle this situation.

Ladies, I appreciate you all! All of our differences, all of our goals, all of our life lessons, all of our sharing, all of these things have made such an impact on me and my life.

We survived our "storms". LOTS of Rain, No wind, some thunder and lightening. But I am safe.

Sleep well and good Morning!
    Welcome to the new ladies!
    Tomorrow or Today may you make the best choices you can at any given moment!

Much Love,
    Kylia in Ohio

• evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Kim, you are a strong woman. I am glad that you got some coping advice/strategies from your counselor as well as wording suggestions. My sincerest hope is that you can some answers from your mom about the pressing issues. Good luck!

Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,986 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Thanks for all the kind words and reminders that I am doing a good thing. My counselor helped with some coping skills and we talked about what it would mean to hire help and comply with the law. It would eliminate all inheritance (fine) and probably mean both my sister and I would end up in enough debt that we would never recover. My brother is indigent so would not be expected to contribute. So I am going to work with the coping skills and her support. I need all the kindness you all can offer, and the pats on the back. I will not be posting for suggestions or corrections on my behavior just support and a place to vent.

Easter Sunday – no plans here. I like ham but am not planning on making one… I might do a quiche.

Debbie – the info and sharing with your DH helps – I will remember the chocolates ! I did get all nuts this time LOL my favorite is a chocolate baileys truffle…. in answer to DH’s question about language, she is truly American her relations came on the Mayflower. American English is her only language. My counselor is helping me figure out boundaries I am ok with and how to word them. It is hard but it would be so worse without them.

Kim in N. California

I wish dh would set boundaries with his mother. I tried to get him to set some in the beginning of this but it was easier, short term, to just do what ever she wanted. Now, all these months later, he is still doing it.

Here for support and a listening ear!!!

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,592 Member
    Options
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Lisa ... I had to think about your comment on my perceived "failure" to reach my March goals. The rational part of my brain knows that any weight loss should be considered a success. And that's what I really try to focus on. But there's a part of me ... regardless of practicality or reality, Machka, that wants things to be easy and quick. Those 7 pounds came on fast, I wanted them to leave just as quickly. I've since settled in to accepting that they will be slow to lose. Thank you, both, for your input.
    Beth near Buffalo

I hear you! I gained weight in the first couple of weeks of March while we were on holiday. Some of it has come off which is great but I wish the whole lot would disappear!

It's scary how easy it is to put on weight!

M in Oz

Agreed. It is scary. :#
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,967 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    For anyone who doesn’t know how to use a QR code.

:)

We've used QR codes to check into every single shop or restaurant or wherever for about a year during the thick of COVID. :)

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the tulips! I tried to grow them years ago. First the dogs knocked off the beds. Then they just never came back. I am thinking squirrels or other such rodents ate the bulbs. Why don't they eat the daffodils?

Today's targets- starting with 8 oz water (yucky), trash out, finish folding laundry, stretching, and 20 minutes dedicated walking. While my eating might be funky, I feel I need to work on "pruning" the extra chatter (quick chores)from my life and establishing a few other healthy habits. I don't think peeing twice a day is healthy (just saying).

Machka and Allie Hair cuts look good!

Easter.....just not up to entertaining. Will meet up with youngest daughter and family at some point in time. She is on call on Easter which is also her birthday. Oldest daughter will meet up with us either here or at the farm. It is an hour drive either way for her. I am not planning anything else. I will probably pick up a few cards and give $ to kiddos. Usually they have to find eggs to get it. I just don't have the energy. Other things priority like me .

Off to get some things done!

❤️
    Kylia in Ohio still with migraine
  • Machka9
    Options
    ACTIVE APRIL
    1. Commit to being more active this month starting today. Yes!
    2. Spend as much time as possible outdoors today. Yes!
    3. Listen to your body and be grateful for what it can do. Yes! I can garden, which requires all sorts of body motion, and cycle.

4. Eat healthy and natural food today and drinks lots of water. Yes! Ate my usual food and drank lots of water up till about 8 pm. We won't talk about what happened after that.

5. Turn a regular activity into a playful game today. Hmmm ... Walking around the shops? Climbing stairs?

6. Do a body-scan meditation and really notice how your body feels. Achy.

7. Get natural light early in the day. Dim the lights in the evening
    9. give your body a boost by laughing or making someone laugh
    10. Turn your housework or chores into a fun form of exercise
    11. Have a day with less screen time and more movement
    12. Set yourself an exercise goal or sign up to an activity challenge
    13. Move as much as possible, even if you’re stuck inside
    14. Make sleep a priority and go to bed in good time
    15. Relax your body & mind with yoga, tai chi or meditation.
    16. Get active by singing today (even if you think you can’t sing)
    17. Go exploring around your local area and notice new things
    18. Be active outside. Dig up weeds or plant some seeds
    19. Try a new online exercise, activity or dance class.
    20. Spend less time sitting today. Get up and move more often.
    21. Focus on eating ‘a rainbow of multi-colored vegetables today.
    22. Regularly pause to stretch and breathe during the day.
    23. Enjoy moving to your favorite music. Really go for it.
    24. Go out and do an errand for a loved one or neighbor.
    25. Get active in nature. Feed the birds or go wild-life spotting.
    26. Have a ‘no screens’ night and take time to recharge yourself.
    27. Take an extra break in your day and walk outside for 15 minutes
    28. Find a fun exercise to do while waiting for the kettle to boil (or pan of water.)
    29. Meet a friend outside for a walk and a chat.
    30. Become an activist for a cause you really believe in
    31. Make time to run, swim, dance, cycle or stretch today

Machka in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    edited April 2023
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    My BP is ALL over the place! This morning it was 91/61. Now at doctor's 144/72. This is crazy! Waiting on Dr now.

Mine usually sits around your higher BP when I'm relaxed these days. Actually, it's usually about 145/85. Fortunately, 2 or 3 GPs have told me that's normal. :)

When I'm stressed/upset, it soars!

In the pre-accident days, it was your lower number.

Oh also, look up White Coat Syndrome while you wait for the doctor. It is very normal to have a higher BP at the doctor's than at home. That's why they send you home and get you to record your BP at home twice a day for a couple weeks.

M in Oz

It is normal…if you are 80 years old. ;)
  • KetoneKaren
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Kim,

I posted some advice but am editing it out since you said you didn’t want any.

Best of luck with your difficult mom.

Love,

Karen in Virginia

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,740 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Question about Easter dinner-
    Are you planning the traditional meal of ham, etc?
    Or are you doing something else?

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca

We're doing something else. We're eating what we normally eat on a Sunday or Monday. We're not having "Easter dinner".

M in Oz

• Machka9
    edited April 2023
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    My BP is ALL over the place! This morning it was 91/61. Now at doctor's 144/72. This is crazy! Waiting on Dr now.

Mine usually sits around your higher BP when I'm relaxed these days. Actually, it's usually about 145/85. Fortunately, 2 or 3 GPs have told me that's normal. :)

When I'm stressed/upset, it soars!

In the pre-accident days, it was your lower number.

Oh also, look up White Coat Syndrome while you wait for the doctor. It is very normal to have a higher BP at the doctor's than at home. That's why they send you home and get you to record your BP at home twice a day for a couple weeks.

M in Oz

It is normal…if you are 80 years old. ;)

Can happen to a range of ages. :)

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320861#vs-other-types-of-hypertension

White coat hypertension
    White coat hypertension is high blood pressure that typically occurs only at the doctor’s office or other medical centers. It may relate to anxiety about healthcare visits.

A 2013 study found that 15–30% of people with a high blood pressure reading at the doctor’s office might have white coat hypertension.

It appears to be more common in:
    • females
    • older adults
    • nonsmokers
    • people with a recent diagnosis of mild hypertension
    • people who are pregnant

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/23989-white-coat-syndrome

White Coat Syndrome
    White coat syndrome, or white coat hypertension, is the term for when you get a high blood pressure reading in a doctor’s office and a normal reading at home. The anxiety of being around doctors in white coats can make your blood pressure rise. Most people don’t need treatment if their blood pressure is normal at home.

Who gets white coat syndrome?
    People who are more likely to have white coat syndrome include those who:
    • Are older than 50.
    • Were assigned female at birth.
    • Were diagnosed recently with high blood pressure.
    • Have obesity.
    • Don’t use tobacco products.

M in Oz