WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,414 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Joy1580vb wrote: »
    Lanette, what do you do with your jars of bone broth? Just keep them in the fridge?

Joy

Joy - You could keep the jars in the fridge for a few days.

I didn't roast the carcass in the oven beforehand like they often recommend with beef bones. I roasted the chicken a couple weeks ago, stuffed the carcass in a ziploc and stuck that in the freezer until yesterday when the bone-broth makers here got me all revved up, lol.

I will freeze at least a couple jars of this broth. I freeze in these wide mouth glass canning jars since I have room in my freezer. Each of these jars is about 1 1/2 cups.

We'll see if it thickens up by tomorrow morning. I like everything I'm freezing in jars to sit in the fridge overnight. Even if it doesn't thicken, I'm sure it has a lot more nutritional value than the bone broth I've been purchasing. Tastier and looks better too!

Maybe the big carrot I tossed in gave it the brownish color? Or cooking it for 24 hours? This was a "Ranger" chicken, not organic but a little higher end than what Safeway normally sells under their label.

If you are roasting one chicken per week, you have a lot of potential bone broth! ;) Good luck!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

I know this is an odd question but was the chicken already roasted from Safeway? If you got it on the $5 Friday deal, they use a little smaller chickens for that sale(dh told me and he managed their deli for over 30 yrs and still works that department when he wants a few more hours)

Debbie - this was a 4 pound fresh chicken I roasted myself, it barely fit in my dutch oven! Since it was a big boy I had to cook it for quite a while.

The rotisserie chickens probably have real good flavor too, but yes they are small. Someone here in this group - Margaret or Mary? has used the rotisserie chickens from Safeway or Costco.

I have boiled those rotisserie carcasses to make broth in the past.

Lanette B)
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 336 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Lanette thanks for the info….very helpful.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Betsy - Crossing fingers we'll have a Winco here in our community by the end of the year; they have started construction. So excited. Walmart expects their grocery sales to diminish by 30%. I hadn't thought of using chicken feet in making bone broth but why not? I haven't seen them in any of the stores where I shop around here so Winco's additional item selection will be welcomed.

Wishing you the best with your eye situation, sorry the next appointment will postpone your Alaska trip. Hope it's an easy fix.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Do you have Asian grocery stores up there?
    I am sure you will find the chicken feet and most likely a decent price on the beef bones.(not sure as I haven't ever bought them. I do see the chicken feet at every one of them. They are big sellers there.

Debbie - the closest Asian store is about 30 miles from me and I never get in that direction. But there is at least one Hispanic grocery not far away. Last time I was in there, a couple years ago, they had nice veggies as I recall and everything was reasonably priced.

Here's a photo of my chicken bone - bone broth made in the crockpot. It cooked for 24 hours, and the bones were really soft - I could crush them with my fingers. It's cooling in the fridge right now, I'll be curious to see if it "sets up" at all. I didn't strain it, most of the sediment settled to the bottom. I was surprised at the rich brown color!

pyyc0pkadqbu.jpg

Lanette

That looks great! Carrot🥕 yummy. The color is about the same as mine but I use the blackened skin and everything but the meat from the Costco bird. I add the ACV 2-4oz it draws the collagen and glycine from the bones.
    I am intrigued about bone broth. I usually roast a chicken once a week. Could I use the carcass for bone broth? Would like to make it in the slow cooker. Lanette, yours looks amazing! Would I have to roast the carcass in the oven for a bit on high heat then transfer to slow cooker with water. What about veggies....carrots, onions, celery is what I was thinking?

I get the chicken from Costco debone it. No need to roast it. I simmered mine for 72 hours and it did gel. The link I posted on here says only 24 hours. I think I read good for 3 weeks in refrigerator and 5 months in freezer.

💕Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,684 Member
    Options
    Kim, I am thinking about you and wishing/praying for the very best for you. My husband was an excellent patient and the caregiving still got to me. I know how hard you are working to help your Mom!

Carla: Glad you enjoyed your time in Stillwater MN!

Lisa: You will miss seeing the grands! But at least there are video calls and zoom now!

Machka9: Wow! You have great hair! Nice haircut!

Betsy: I am sorry the pressure is increased in your eyes. I am hoping/praying that the pressure comes down.

Kylia: Great being able to go to the theater with your daughter!

Sarah: Welcome

Flea: Yes, working on an estate can be time consuming. We had hoped we had things set up so we would not need to probate. But guess what? Yup, We need to probate!

Heather: Love the blossoms you posted!

Debbie: Sorry Destiny is in pain. I do go once a year to the dermatologist to have the PA look at my skin. My father died of melanoma.

Annie: I should buy some yogurt. I am not good about taking the calcium pills that I need to take in order to take Prolia for osteoporosis. Eating yogurt helps make up for this.

Grandmalle: I love your hair and your glasses! Carmine has a date! Well congrats to Carmine! That's great!

Pipcd34: Such a great job you do burning calories! If I don't exercise in the morning, I seldom exercise later.

Katla: Glad you have the library card!

My neighbor had a new baby on Wed and the family has a big blue bow on their mailbox! This has lifted my spirits. A soul leaves the world. A soul comes into the world! I have a baby gift for the family to give this week end. I have been invited to my son's in laws for Easter. I am a little nervous about this. They are a very, very nice family, but I am always concerned I will say or do the wrong thing! But I figured I would go and maybe stay 2 hours and keep it short. It is over 2 hours to get there and over 2 hours back, so a short visit will be okay. I did some weeding today and tried to get my nails done but the salon was too crowded. I had lunch with a friend which is good. I do get tired. I have lost 3 pounds this month so if that could continue, I might have more energy! Of course I ate french fries today!

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia!

Thx! I try, some days more than others
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,414 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Betsy - Crossing fingers we'll have a Winco here in our community by the end of the year; they have started construction. So excited. Walmart expects their grocery sales to diminish by 30%. I hadn't thought of using chicken feet in making bone broth but why not? I haven't seen them in any of the stores where I shop around here so Winco's additional item selection will be welcomed.

Wishing you the best with your eye situation, sorry the next appointment will postpone your Alaska trip. Hope it's an easy fix.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

I am sure you will find the chicken feet and most likely a decent price on the beef bones.(not sure as I haven't ever bought them. I do see the chicken feet at every one of them. They are big sellers there.

Debbie - the closest Asian store is about 30 miles from me and I never get in that direction. But there is at least one Hispanic grocery not far away. Last time I was in there, a couple years ago, they had nice veggies as I recall and everything was reasonably priced.

Here's a photo of my chicken bone - bone broth made in the crockpot. It cooked for 24 hours, and the bones were really soft - I could crush them with my fingers. It's cooling in the fridge right now, I'll be curious to see if it "sets up" at all. I didn't strain it, most of the sediment settled to the bottom. I was surprised at the rich brown color!

pyyc0pkadqbu.jpg

Lanette

That looks great! Carrot🥕 yummy. The color is about the same as mine but I use the blackened skin and everything but the meat from the Costco bird. I add the ACV 2-4oz it draws the collagen and glycine from the bones.
    I am intrigued about bone broth. I usually roast a chicken once a week. Could I use the carcass for bone broth? Would like to make it in the slow cooker. Lanette, yours looks amazing! Would I have to roast the carcass in the oven for a bit on high heat then transfer to slow cooker with water. What about veggies....carrots, onions, celery is what I was thinking?

I get the chicken from Costco debone it. No need to roast it. I simmered mine for 72 hours and it did gel. The link I posted on here says only 24 hours. I think I read good for 3 weeks in refrigerator and 5 months in freezer.

Mary! <3 I was hoping you'd pop in and add your recipe. <3 This was the first time for me. I think next time I'll use the big crockpot and do the AVC. :)

Lanette B)
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,532 Member
    Options

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

pyyc0pkadqbu.jpg

Lanette

I am adding ACV to my broth this time! I add lots of pepper, turmeric and some cayenne pepper. Its just for me, the chicken stock so I kind of personalize it to my taste.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Allie,

Miles!!! <3o:)<3>:)<3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Karen your brother is so talented!

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Karen I forgot to mention that we are spending the night here in New Orleans! We did not have enough time to go to the places that you recommended. But we did eat at the restaurant close to the hotel called New Orleans, hamburger and seafood! it was excellent! My husband had frog legs and shrimp, and a cup of gumbo. I tried their hamburger with grilled onion, bacon, and shredded pepper. Jack cheese piled high! It was excellent! The sides were deep, fried onion rings with their sauce, which was very good, and butter, garlic, potato wedges, which were to die for! Not authentic New Orleans food but we will save her that when we are on our way back home, and take the walking food tour!

💕 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota

That sounds amazing!!!
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,621 Member
    Options
    Going to see if by saving it will carry over....Yay!!! It did carry over on laptop!
    Well, had Lucky Charms for dinner....was hungry but didn't want too heavy on belly. Could have had honey nut cheerios, but the charms called my name.

Hugs to all of you WONDERFUL, AMAZING, and TALENTED Ladies!!!!

I think I will close out of my electronics, go read for a few, and get some shut eye. I got over 8000 steps today- Yay! Only been averaging around 6k.

Lots of love,
    Kylia in Ohio doing the best I can do!