WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    teklawa1 wrote: »
    Mary, thanks for the info on the pickle juice. I'm trying to be proactive and drink it because my leg cramps seem more often because I'm physically so active in the yard these days.

Kim,,, many hugs and admire how you're handling the difficult situation... So glad you are taking care of yourself. Vent away!! Anytime!!

Yesterday I went for my cataract one year post op appointment. My eye pressure is elevated in both eyes and that is surprising because I had titanium tubes inserted to relieve pressure when cataract surgery was done. Next appointment in 6 weeks. :-( This will postpone me going to Alaska end of May.

But the upside of yesterday was I got to go to Winco grocery store. It's a store 55 miles from home but near where my eye clinic is.. Mary and Lanetteand Margaret, Winco sells beef marrow bones or knuckle bones for $1.89/lb. They also sell chicken feet for $2.19/lb. So I stocked up on bones for my bone broth. I add veggies and spices.. garlic, basil, oregano, coriander and others. I've been making the bone broth for years and usually have ziplock bags frozen to use in most of my recipes to replace the necessary liquid.

Betsy in NW WA

Thanks! If you are extremely physically active your electrolytes might be out of balance. Google how to hydrate like an athlete.

https://www.verywellfit.com/electrolyte-drink-may-help-prevent-muscle-cramps-study-shows-5118066

We have a Winco near us! Chicken feet are rich in collagen! I have made it like you all the time as the liquid for soups and other foods, but I never drank it by itself daily! Do you have any recipes to share? I love the soup base I’m using on my trip but it is high in sodium!

💕Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    teklawa1 wrote: »

Yesterday I went for my cataract one year post op appointment. My eye pressure is elevated in both eyes and that is surprising because I had titanium tubes inserted to relieve pressure when cataract surgery was done. Next appointment in 6 weeks. :-( This will postpone me going to Alaska end of May.

But the upside of yesterday was I got to go to Winco grocery store. It's a store 55 miles from home but near where my eye clinic is.. Mary and Lanetteand Margaret, Winco sells beef marrow bones or knuckle bones for $1.89/lb. They also sell chicken feet for $2.19/lb. So I stocked up on bones for my bone broth. I add veggies and spices.. garlic, basil, oregano, coriander and others. I've been making the bone broth for years and usually have ziplock bags frozen to use in most of my recipes to replace the necessary liquid.

Betsy in NW WA

Betsy - Crossing fingers we'll have a Winco here in our community by the end of the year; they have started construction. So excited. Walmart expects their grocery sales to diminish by 30%. I hadn't thought of using chicken feet in making bone broth but why not? I haven't seen them in any of the stores where I shop around here so Winco's additional item selection will be welcomed.

Wishing you the best with your eye situation, sorry the next appointment will postpone your Alaska trip. Hope it's an easy fix.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Do you have Asian grocery stores up there?
    I am sure you will find the chicken feet and most likely a decent price on the beef bones.(not sure as I haven't ever bought them. I do see the chicken feet at every one of them. They are big sellers there.

• dlfk202000
    Options
    Heather glad you and Max had a nice time,
    I didn't think when I went to Nashville that Tracy wouldn't get paid for her time off.Her pay ,pays for groceries and they are super low on everything..she gets paid tomorrow so im picking up after I leave here a gift card to a local homemade burger joint that they usually go to..
    Also i swear i put a necklace in my jacket pocket to bring to Carmine to wear tonight
    Its twisted leather with a pearlish thing on the front,very binary...
    Miles only slept 2 hrs last night so Tracy is beat ,any of you have suggestions on how to get him to sleep through the night.
    Kyle gets upset if he wakes him up,and im sure Carmine is the same so letting him cry himself to sleep i don't think is an option.

Has Tracy tried Hylands Teething Tablets? They are homeopathic and work wonders!! I have been using them with my son, then daycare kids for 25 yrs now. They are tiny quick dissolve tablets. I LOVE all of their products(they have ones for allergies, sleep aid, etc). Sad that they discontinued the ones I was using. Will order another one that they suggested.

https://www.amazon.com/Hylands-Nighttime-Chamomilla-Discomfort-Irritability/dp/B0767Y6X6N/ref=sr_1_2?hvadid=558518836794&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9032050&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=15686999562957007589&hvtargid=kwd-308233259269&hydadcr=21688_9710865&keywords=hyland's+baby+teething+tablets&qid=1680804738&s=hpc&sr=1-2&th=1

Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    I talked about ‘mother’ issues with my therapist yesterday. She suggested I speak up and tell her exactly how she is making me feel when she says hurtful things. “The conversation will not be pretty.” said my therapist. I agree but she also said that my mom was just aging, venting all her pent up or past hurts that are coming up in her age. She may or may not know how she is hurting me, and unless I speak up, she would probably continue. I told the therapist I call once a week out of obligation but my mom NEVER calls me. She said to wait until she calls again and when she does and complains about you not calling, explain that it hurts that she doesn’t call and that I feel like she really didn’t want to talk to me because she didn’t call. I was all up to doing that until I told my DH about this. He stated (wisely) that my mom was 87 years and old so may not understand. However, she never called me, I had to call her all my life. Even when she was young. IDK got me thinking a lot about how much I’m willing to put up with versus feeling guilty about not doing it. Not avoiding, just not doing it.

Sorry about the vent, but all this mother talk brought back a lot of negative feelings that I need to work through.

Growing and learning never ends!

RVRita in NM a lifelong learner.

I have that problem with my mom(not calling me). I too, call her once a week to check in. She did call every day for a few weeks after I had my surgery but she is back to not calling.
    My dad would call me at least every week. Sometimes more often. He would say he was just thinking about me and thought he would call. I SOOOO miss those calls and feel bad on the days I didn't really feel like talking to him and cut the calls a bit short.
    Mom complains about some of the grandkids not calling her- saying"the phone works both ways" but doesn't realize that she could be calling me and not just talk when I call her. She does thank me for calling and most of the time it is a good talk. She is getting a bit worse on repeating herself but that is ok. At least I still have her around so I can talk to her.
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I am intrigued about bone broth. I usually roast a chicken once a week. Could I use the carcass for bone broth? Would like to make it in the slow cooker. Lanette, yours looks amazing! Would I have to roast the carcass in the oven for a bit on high heat then transfer to slow cooker with water. What about veggies....carrots, onions, celery is what I was thinking?
  • Joy1580vb
    Options
    Lanette, what do you do with your jars of bone broth? Just keep them in the fridge?

Joy
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :) Who made the rules? Jake believes that children should call their parents so if they don't call him then they don't talk. Some of you think your parents should call you so you don't call them. My rule is that the person who is the most disturbed is the one who should take the action.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    Joy1580vb wrote: »
    Lanette, what do you do with your jars of bone broth? Just keep them in the fridge?

Joy

Joy - You could keep the jars in the fridge for a few days.

I didn't roast the carcass in the oven beforehand like they often recommend with beef bones. I roasted the chicken a couple weeks ago, stuffed the carcass in a ziploc and stuck that in the freezer until yesterday when the bone-broth makers here got me all revved up, lol.

I will freeze at least a couple jars of this broth. I freeze in these wide mouth glass canning jars since I have room in my freezer. Each of these jars is about 1 1/2 cups.

We'll see if it thickens up by tomorrow morning. I like everything I'm freezing in jars to sit in the fridge overnight. Even if it doesn't thicken, I'm sure it has a lot more nutritional value than the bone broth I've been purchasing. Tastier and looks better too!

Maybe the big carrot I tossed in gave it the brownish color? Or cooking it for 24 hours? This was a "Ranger" chicken, not organic but a little higher end than what Safeway normally sells under their label.

If you are roasting one chicken per week, you have a lot of potential bone broth! ;) Good luck!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • Joy1580vb
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Thanks so much Lanette. Will definitely give this a try. I like to make homemade soups too so I think this would make a nice addition. Did you add any apple cider vinegar to your concoction. I read that a bit of acid helps break everything down. Not really sure it is necessary as it is slow cooking for a long time.

Joy
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr48min 42sec, 21elev, 3.13ap, 85ahr, 102mhr, 6.14mi= 575c
    Strava app= 705c
    Walk/ slow jog to Costco and back- 1hr 25min 43sec, 32elev, 13.20min mi w/jog tracking, 4.50ap w/ walk tracking, 130ahr, 161mhr, 6.43mi= 645c
    Strava app= 788c

Total miles= 12.57

Total cal 1220
  • dlfk202000
    Options

Joy

Joy - You could keep the jars in the fridge for a few days.

I didn't roast the carcass in the oven beforehand like they often recommend with beef bones. I roasted the chicken a couple weeks ago, stuffed the carcass in a ziploc and stuck that in the freezer until yesterday when the bone-broth makers here got me all revved up, lol.

I will freeze at least a couple jars of this broth. I freeze in these wide mouth glass canning jars since I have room in my freezer. Each of these jars is about 1 1/2 cups.

We'll see if it thickens up by tomorrow morning. I like everything I'm freezing in jars to sit in the fridge overnight. Even if it doesn't thicken, I'm sure it has a lot more nutritional value than the bone broth I've been purchasing. Tastier and looks better too!

Maybe the big carrot I tossed in gave it the brownish color? Or cooking it for 24 hours? This was a "Ranger" chicken, not organic but a little higher end than what Safeway normally sells under their label.

If you are roasting one chicken per week, you have a lot of potential bone broth! ;) Good luck!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

I know this is an odd question but was the chicken already roasted from Safeway? If you got it on the $5 Friday deal, they use a little smaller chickens for that sale(dh told me and he managed their deli for over 30 yrs and still works that department when he wants a few more hours)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much Lanette. Will definitely give this a try. I like to make homemade soups too so I think this would make a nice addition. Did you add any apple cider vinegar to your concoction. I read that a bit of acid helps break everything down. Not really sure it is necessary as it is slow cooking for a long time.

Joy

Joy - since it was chicken, I added maybe a tablespoon of lemon juice for the acid. Had it been beef, I would have used ACV or even red wine or balsamic vinegar, depending on taste. I think adding an acid is important in the process.

I know when I've cooked a chicken carcass for a couple hours for broth, it seemed I had to strain it. This 24 hour cooking somehow sent all the sediment to the bottom of the cooker. I have a big "strainer" spoon I fished out the carcass and veggies with and what was left was pretty nice I thought.

I think it would make a wonderful addition to your soups :D

Lanette B)