• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,511 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,340 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I nearly always arrange a day and time to actually phone. Apart from one friend who only uses the landline. Otherwise, I send a WhatsApp text first and we arrange to call. No one just "calls'. Unless it's an emergency.
    I like WhatsApp texting best, because it is great at sending photos and videos.
    Sometimes, if I'm feeling lonely, I just send a text to my best friends that says, 'Chat. Now?" And they say, "Yes please", or, "Off to the doctor. Later this afternoon? " :D

I'm still enjoying the podcasts about sex and relationships. I'm not learning anything new, but it's getting my thoughts going in the right direction and, whatever stage your love life is at, even if it's just with yourself, there's always room for improvement! DH and I have got lazy at talking about it, and I do find it difficult to broach the subject, so it's great to have a new way to focus. Don't forget the compliments, folks! They can work wonders. <3

OK. So I'm going downstairs now to prep the sauce for the ravioli. Mushrooms. Going to have green beans with it. Friday night is wine night. I hope DH won't be too late tonight. Last night he tried to text me before he left, but there was no signal in the car park.

Lots of love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,683 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    hey all! It's Friday and I am doing my Friday dance. This week hasn't been as busy as it was supposed to be. It is spring break and the older kids don't have school, but there are a couple of viruses running through my childcare families and that is keeping my attendance numbers low this week. I haven't had more than 8 kids on any given day; only four will be here, today. So far, I have remained healthy (knock on wood).
    Staying in touch with parents/family- I am one of the lucky/unlucky ones in the fact that I no longer have parents to stay in touch. That is one of those double edged sword phrases. I "talk" to my siblings monthly. Usually me, reaching out. A phone call to my older sister in Florida and usually texts to my three brothers. I hear from my daughter daily (sometimes two-three times a day). She calls, most of the time. I see my youngest son daily (bc he is still at home with us), but we do spend a good 30 minutes each day at the dinner table talking. My oldest son (my husband's son from previous relationship) and I will exchange texts, photos, or pics weekly. We have a good relationship that took his lifetime (36 years) to make. All that said; I do have times when I am getting phone calls and texts from family (kids even) and I am "peopled out". I find that since covid or maybe just since I have reached a certain age, bc I have small people in my face all day, I have a hard time summoning the energy to talk more or listen more and I just shut down.
    Chicken feet- lol I saw some at Walmart while I was visiting my daughter in Texas! I had a good laugh and took a picture of it and sent it to my DH with the text "You know you have crossed the mason dixon line when..." I have never seen chicken feet sold in my area. Weird looking things. I don't think I would cook with them, no matter the benefits. blech!
    Rosemarie- I completely understand your fear of saying or doing something "wrong" during your Easter visit. I love my husband's family; but when I first joined the family I felt like a bull in a china shop. They were the most white bread, mayflower, Vanderbilt-y type of family. And my family was more like the Connors (on Roseanne). I spent a good ten years behaving the way I thought I should. Then I fixed our sump pump (long story there) felt empowered, entered perimenopause and all hell broke loose. lol I didn't break a lot in the china shop; but they got more of the full on ME (in small doses, of course). They didn't disown me and I managed to make them laugh.
    Karen VA- Oh my! That painting that your brother did of the woman looking back over her shoulder! Lovely! And his viola making friend...WOW! What a great talent!
    Pip- Chispas blends right in with that throw! lol Also...you are going to need to raise your goal. I will be donating in late summer- a little closer to your race date. <3
    Well, I better get my doors unlocked for my families. One of the four that I have today is a new little guy of a previous childcare family. I watched his big brothers when they were small. They are now 10 yrs and 12 yrs old. This new little guy was a "surprise" baby! Gotta love a surprise, right? lol Sending lots of love and mental support to you all! Sometimes our day to day stuff is so hard; but what a treasure we have right here, yes? ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

I slowly increase my goal once I pass it. Since I’m $3 away from my updated goal, I bumped it up to $1000. Cheerio does kind of bend into that couch bed huh. Thanks for everyone’s support with my ride
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    ❤️

It is a lovely morning here in Illinois. I have a good book and a nice view.

Katla
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I am all caught up! I think I had to read about 20 pages.

Kim, big, big hugs. This time last year I was in full care-giving mode for my father, and I remember the feelings of utter exhaustion and frustration, and I was sharing the burden with my mother and sister. I cannot imagine having it all on my shoulders, as you do. I’m thankful you have a therapist who is helping you with coping skills.

Re, Virgin River: I read the complete series many years ago. From a couple if comments, I think I may be behind on watching the seasons on Netflix. As best I can remember the books, Netflix changed a lot of storylines. I believe Robyn Carr has another series based on a neighboring town to Virgin River, with a few overlapping characters. I don’t remember its name. Salem something, maybe?

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    April 2023 Action for Happiness

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate and respect all religions.
    Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 4/15 (100%,100%,80%
    Walk 7,000 every day 6/30 (84%,86%,94%)
    6 min -2x a day start April 1 11/60
    Arm weights twice a week 2/10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow, hurt my shoulder 30%)
    Meditation: daily. 5/30 (82%(started Feb)94%)

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(100%,100%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 9867, (7,700,100%-9851,100%—9526,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 4/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 19/158/ —(100%,100%,100%)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)26/64–(100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4 (100%,100%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 6/20-(100%,88%,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 13(100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR——3/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings (100%)
    Decided that if I do more than stated I will not grade higher than 100% 2/5/23

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met
    May met
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

ACTIVE APRIL
    Commit to being more active this month starting today. I commit to this by adding the exercises from the 6 minute book for over 60’s.
    2. Spend as much time as possible outdoors today. Easy! LOL
    3. Listen to your body and be grateful for what it can do. I do this during walking meditations every day.
    4. Eat healthy and natural food today and drinks lots of water. Yogurt and raspberries for breakfast with 17 oz water bottle and coffee, more to come.
    5. Turn a regular activity into a playful game today. Not sure. Joked with hairdresser while getting hair cut. Everyone was laughing and joining in.
    6. Do a body-scan meditation and really notice how your body feels. I do this often in my meditations.
    7. Get natural light early in the day. Dim the lights in the evening. Morning done. Will do in evening.
    8. give your body a boost by laughing or making someone laugh
    9. Turn your housework or chores into a fun form of exercise
    10. Have a day with less screen time and more movement
    11. Set yourself an exercise goal or sign up to an activity challenge
    12. Move as much as possible, even if you’re stuck inside
    13. Make sleep a priority and go to bed in good time
    14. Relax your body & mind with yoga, tai chi or meditation.
    15. Get active by singing today (even if you think you can’t sing)
    16. Go exploring around your local area and notice new things
    17. Be active outside. Dig up weeds or plant some seeds
    18. Try a new online exercise, activity or dance class.
    19. Spend less time sitting today. Get up and move more often.
    20. Focus on eating ‘a rainbow of multi-colored vegetables today.
    21. Regularly pause to stretch and breathe during the day.
    22. Enjoy moving to your favorite music. Really go for it.
    23. Go out and do an errand for a loved one or neighbor.
    24. Get active in nature. Feed the birds or go wild-life spotting.
    25. Have a ‘no screens’ night and take time to recharge yourself.
    26. Take an extra break in your day and walk outside for 15 minutes
    27. Find a fun exercise to do while waiting for the kettle to boil (or pan of water.)
    28. Meet a friend outside for a walk and a chat.
    29. Become an activist for a cause you really believe in
    30. Make time to run, swim, dance, cycle or stretch today

RVRita
  • kevrit
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) Who made the rules? Jake believes that children should call their parents so if they don't call him then they don't talk. Some of you think your parents should call you so you don't call them. My rule is that the person who is the most disturbed is the one who should take the action.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

In my case, my parents and I email frequently and comment back and forth on FB. But we only "call" (Zoom) a couple times a year. We're not phone people.

This works for us.

Machka in Oz

My mom had a tablet but only looks at emails sent to her. She does not reply or send emails. She has had several cell phones from the cricket to a basic smart phone with big numbers on my account. She never wanted to even use them. Says she always forget to charge them and doesn’t want to bother. She only has a landline. She does not like technology, but does enjoy her cable tv, computer to play solitaire on (only), and the tablet to see pictures people send her. FB is a big NO-NO for her, but, she enjoys the things my sister tells her she saw on FB. I people are just different! “Different strokes for different folks!”

RVRita
  • kevrit
    Options
    One more comment on phone calls ...
    I am not deaf, but since my early 30s at least, I have had slightly reduced hearing ability which might be gradually getting worse. Since my husband's accident I have also developed Tinnitus which gets really loud when I'm stressed.

So, talking on the phone is my least favourite method of communication because I can't rely on visual cues.

The chances I will call someone is low at the best of times. I prefer to walk to a clinic and talk to them in person to make an appointment, rather than calling. And I'm thrilled that many medical places allow me to book online now.

The chances I will call someone to chat is right about 0.

I also find telephones the most intrusive and demanding form of communication. The thing rings, and we're expected to answer ... and spend time talking. Even if we're doing something nice like watching TV, reading, colouring, studying, cleaning the house, exercising etc.

I recall both my grandmother and mother being reluctant to call ... my grandmother being reluctant to call my mother when my mother was young and had a young family, and my mother being reluctant to call me when I was younger ... because they knew we were busy and knew that a phone call could be very disruptive. So they would leave it up to us to call ... my grandmother would leave it up to my mother to call, and my mother would leave it up to me to call ... when it was convenient.

Thankfully, email came along!!

M in Oz

I completely agree! I know my kids are very busy with life and work, so text them to talk or ask them to call me when they have time. I understand younger families have a lot on their plates these days. I also agree with finding the phone intrusive! My parents and grandparents lived within 1/2 mile of each other when I was growing up, so walks to talk to them was the norm. The phone was barely used until I became a teenager! LOL

RVRita

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,145 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) Who made the rules? Jake believes that children should call their parents so if they don't call him then they don't talk. Some of you think your parents should call you so you don't call them. My rule is that the person who is the most disturbed is the one who should take the action.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

In my case, my parents and I email frequently and comment back and forth on FB. But we only "call" (Zoom) a couple times a year. We're not phone people.

This works for us.

Machka in Oz

My mom had a tablet but only looks at emails sent to her. She does not reply or send emails. She has had several cell phones from the cricket to a basic smart phone with big numbers on my account. She never wanted to even use them. Says she always forget to charge them and doesn’t want to bother. She only has a landline. She does not like technology, but does enjoy her cable tv, computer to play solitaire on (only), and the tablet to see pictures people send her. FB is a big NO-NO for her, but, she enjoys the things my sister tells her she saw on FB. I people are just different! “Different strokes for different folks!”

RVRita

My father has enjoyed technology since the mid 80s when we got our first computer. He's not keeping up with it as much as he used to but that's OK.

He has taught my mother how to use some things like email and FB.

It's no wonder I work in technology. :smiley:

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,793 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Morning ladies
    azapa2md3lha.jpg]03qscomh6td2.jpg

Kyle did a great job,got him down for naps,gave him waffles and changed messy diapers.. very proud of my son in law lol 😆
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,340 Member
    Options
    Rita - Big hugs for your messy childhood trauma. You have done so well to become the person you are. Respect! :)

There are a lot of 'survivors' on this thread. Cheers for all of us! <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,532 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Chispa, aka cheese puff, aka cheerio living the good life.
    bfibfncc8pwe.jpeg

Cheese Puff blends in with her blankie.💖👍🏻😁.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey island
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,532 Member
    Options
    I think I should get my hearing checked. There have been many times when I am talking to husband and he starts doing the "pumping hands movement" meaning that I am talking too loud. Does that mean I am getting hard of hearing? I happens not every week though so not every time we talk to each other.

My phone situation is fairly simple. I don't have a phone. We have the phone upstairs that is an answering machine and plugs into our modem. Our 1957 phone is plugged into the modem as well as she is the loudest ringing phone between the two. One day she'll be back on her special side table with the built in seat. Most people that call us know to let the phone ring a bit longer, because we have to hoof it up the stairs and down the hallway. You are thinking, "why not plug it in downstairs". Well for one, none of the phone plugs work. Its a daisy chain situation, and our management company said when we were moving in, " no one uses land lines anymore, so we're not going to fix that".
    I use my handy dandy tablet here, to do video calls with sons, sisters and friends. When husband and I go out, we always carry his cheap Tracfone if we need to make or receive phone calls.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    WA
    hsht2yc4xzvb.jpg
    My phone table, phoneless.🙃