WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,361 Member
    Options
    Woke before daybreak to a completely deep orange sky, so have watched the sun rise. Now I feel that spring is really here. I don’t see the sunrise through the winter months.

I will go to the local shops when I get up, and do some clearing up in preparation for Easter.

MFP is sooooo sloooow at the minute. It took me ages yesterday to catch up.

Intentions for April:
    🔹Maintain weight < 140 (I have managed to stay at the lower end of the 140s)
    🔹Continue with Solid Habit development

Intentions for today:
    📍Solid habits
    📍general chores
    📍clearing the decks for Easter 🐣
    📍local shopping for fresh produce

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for all those those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,348 Member
    Options
    Rosemarie - Great going on the weight loss! And on everything else you are doing. <3

Terri - I'm having a 'get ready' day too. So far I've just out some washing on and got the falafel paste out of the freezer. Chicken will be going into the IP to poach. It just about fits! Next job is to wash my hair. I won't have time tomorrow morning. Can't decide what to have tonight. Might fall back on the old veg and feta frittata. It has to be something we can eat separately, because I never know his arrival time.
    I'm going out this morning to buy oil for frying the falafel, and lemons and lemon juice. Plus more eggs. I'm thinking I might make a 'cheat's' aioli, with Heinemann's mayonnaise, (to go with the chicken).Can do that tomorrow, but I need more garlic. I like to spice it up a bit with harissa. :p
    Must make a list!

I had the weirdest dream this morning, after I'd changed rooms because of indigestion. The pills are in that room. I went back to sleep and dreamt about my ex-husband. We were meeting at a café, in a city that I often dream about, and he was telling me about a stomach problem he had. I won't go into details, but things started to happen to his body that were horrible, but he seemed to think it was normal for him! It was quite shocking, so I called the emergency services and tried to describe what was going on. The doctor on the phone seemed to understand and they sent an ambulance. I just left at that point and couldn't get any updates on his condition.
    Oh so strange! The actual physical thing was a kind of metaphor for the problems of our marriage and his inability to take any responsibility.
    Phew! I'm still a bit shocked!
    Our marriages, especially our early ones, often repeat the problems of our family of origin. I see that so clearly now in my first marriage. Now, with DH, there is a bit of it, but soooooo much less. We have worked through so much stuff.

Hope your holiday goes well. And, "Sweet dreams!"

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,517 Member
    Options
    6. Do a body-scan meditation and really notice how your body feels-done while trying to fall asleep.
    7. Get natural light early in the day. Dim the lights in the evening. Misty beach stroll in the morning but didn’t dim lights in the evening. Seems I need every speck of light to see.

Been skimmin’ on my phone ;}
    Lanette thanks for the Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice recommendation, glad you mentioned it doesn’t taste like licorice that would be a deal-killer for me ;)
    Betsy sorry to hear about your eye pressure, Joe’s had several laser treatments and two surgeries to relieve his. The rx Simbrinza has finally helped. Thanks for the clue about Winco and knuckle bones, our nearest is 100+ miles away but I can stop there when I go for my eye appointment at the end of May.
    Karen thanks for sharing your brother’s paintings and updates. :love:
    Only through pg 21 but time to snooooooze.
    04/07: Move: beach stroll with Joe and the dogs, Jeopardy walking steps:8169
    Fuel: plants running count for week 8+6+4+2+3+6+3=32 almonds, apple, artichoke, avocado, beans-chili, beans-garbanzo, beans-green, beets, caramel corn, cucumber, juice-beet/carrot/celery/parsley/spinach/watercress, Kashi, lemon curd, lettuce-spring mix, macadamia nuts, maple syrup, onion soup, peanut butter, peanut sauce, radish, rice-brown, romaine, soy breakfast patty, tangerines, tea, tomatoes in soup, wheat-sourdough/tortilla/pasta in soup. CI =1485
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, phone calls for Joe’s new MD, Freddie’s, Natural Grocers, dropped off T’s soups, watched Maundy Thursday on FB. Wt:134.0
    04/06: Move: unpack from mega shopping trip. steps:7903
    Fuel: plants running count for week so far: 8+6+4+2+3+6= almonds, apple, avocado, beans-chili, beans-garbanzo, beans-green, beets, cucumber, juice-beet/carrot/celery/parsley/spinach/watercress, Kashi, lemon curd, lettuce-spring mix, macadamia nuts, maple syrup, onion soup, peanut sauce, radish, rice-brown, romaine, soy breakfast patty, tangerines, tea, tomatoes in soup, wheat-sourdough/tortilla/pasta in soup. CI=1606
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, Wal~Mart, Trader Joe’s, Natural Grocers, semi annual skin scan. Wt: 135.1
    04/05: Move: line dance class, dogs to powerline, Jeopardy walking. steps:7659
    Fuel: plants running count for week so far: 8+6+4+2+3= almonds, apple, avocado, beans-chili, beans-garbanzo, beans-green, beets, cucumber, Kashi, lemon curd, lettuce-spring mix, macadamia nuts, maple syrup, onion soup, peanut sauce, radish, rice-brown, romaine, soy breakfast patty, tangerines, tea, tomatoes in soup, wheat-sourdough/tortilla/pasta in soup. CI=1585
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, Wt:133.8

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer. April: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,164 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    ACTIVE APRIL
    1. Commit to being more active this month starting today. Yes!
    2. Spend as much time as possible outdoors today. Yes!
    3. Listen to your body and be grateful for what it can do. Yes! I can garden, which requires all sorts of body motion, and cycle.
    4. Eat healthy and natural food today and drinks lots of water. Yes! Ate my usual food and drank lots of water up till about 8 pm. We won't talk about what happened after that.

5. Turn a regular activity into a playful game today. Hmmm ... Walking around the shops? Climbing stairs?

6. Do a body-scan meditation and really notice how your body feels. Achy.

7. Get natural light early in the day. Dim the lights in the evening.

There isn't much light early in the day here. Plus I was sleeping then. Plus it was cloudy, drizzly and rainy all day.

But I do dim the lights in the evening. It's one of many steps I take to wind down in the evenings to prepare myself for the night.

8. give your body a boost by laughing or making someone laugh

I rarely laugh. Most things don't strike me funny.

Lots of things amuse me, but not enough for laughter.

9. Turn your housework or chores into a fun form of exercise
    10. Have a day with less screen time and more movement
    11. Set yourself an exercise goal or sign up to an activity challenge
    16. Move as much as possible, even if you’re stuck inside
    17. Make sleep a priority and go to bed in good time
    18. Relax your body & mind with yoga, tai chi or meditation.
    19. Get active by singing today (even if you think you can’t sing)
    20. Go exploring around your local area and notice new things
    21. Be active outside. Dig up weeds or plant some seeds
    22. Try a new online exercise, activity or dance class.
    23. Spend less time sitting today. Get up and move more often.
    24. Focus on eating ‘a rainbow of multi-colored vegetables today.
    25. Regularly pause to stretch and breathe during the day.
    26. Enjoy moving to your favorite music. Really go for it.
    27. Go out and do an errand for a loved one or neighbor.
    28. Get active in nature. Feed the birds or go wild-life spotting.
    29. Have a ‘no screens’ night and take time to recharge yourself.
    30. Take an extra break in your day and walk outside for 15 minutes
    31. Find a fun exercise to do while waiting for the kettle to boil (or pan of water.)
    32. Meet a friend outside for a walk and a chat.
    33. Become an activist for a cause you really believe in
    34. Make time to run, swim, dance, cycle or stretch today

Machka in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    Lanette- Yes! It just has to get finished and correctly! I struggle with breaking things into smaller chunks. SIL says to me yesterday that the work will be there on Monday......I realize that but open time at work and I get no paperwork done. Yesterday was crazy busy! It has been a long time (okay a year) but it was crazy. My DH has been in a mood since I went back to shop Thursday night. Yesterday was no different. She made some comment that we could use him on the showroom, he said he had to get the equipment put away. Yes, it was annoying but wasn't urgent- SMH! But it wasn't in place.....I GET IT. I took that moment to tell her that maybe they need to be considering an exit plan (?), less open to public hours (?), something different......she just shook her head at me.....sigh.......

Answering machines/voice mail......I told my girls years ago to quit leaving me "call me" messages! I saw they called. Tell me why you are calling.....just wanted to chat? I broke something? Do you want to meet for dinner? This way I know if I need to call back for a quick call now or need to clear time to call you back. They actually understood that! My sister isn't as good at that ;) Everyone is busy these days which is why I love texts. Like HeatherUK says...If I need a chat I check to see if good time to call via text. If I just need a quick answer texting is less intrusive and faster response.

RVRita I feel you! Luckily, my brother and sister thank me for raising them. I think we all turned out to be absolutely wonderful human beings in spite of our parents. My daughters choosing to live close to me is still strange to me. I like it, but most of my family is all over equaling planned trips, not drop ins.

Betsy and Allie Prayers for eyes. Because of my DH, I understand. I get mad when people take their sight for granted! Things like no safety glasses, not watching blood sugars, not going to eye doctor, etc.

Flowers Love the photos! My daffodils are still blooming, though some are fading. But the "wild flowers" ie dandelions, have bloomed full force in my front yard! LOL! The bees will be happy!

Annie Well done taking Dad. :)

Saturday morning...migraine at bedtime and one this morning ;( new medicine doesn't work. I spent the time with you all instead of working. Not going to Kentucky so will hopefully get some things back up to snuff!

Hugs! Love! Laughter! and Cheers!

Kylia in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Options
    Saturday --

Cold, rainy, winter-like day. Already!! Fortunately, it looks like it should warm up a bit again next week.

Picked up some fruit and veg at the local fruit and veg market.

Stopped by the hardware store and among other things, got a couple more hydrangea plants.

I am working on another long garden bed, and instead of a dry stream, like I built elsewhere, I think I would like to put flowering bushes in this one. Bushes that can grow largish, can choke out the weeds, and bushes that don't need a whole lot of sun.

We have 3 hydrangea plants and I have been amazed how well they did this past summer. They grew like crazy and have been blooming for months. My husband is trying to propagate them, but I saw that the hardware store has a different variety and figured I'd get them to see how they do.

I still want a few more shade-loving, flowering bushes if such things exist.

At home again, I tidied up the living room. I put away and organised DVDs. I also retrieved 26 ping pong and similar balls, and 5 toy mice from under the sofas. 🐈‍⬛

Then we went downstairs to exercise.

We rode our bicycles, on trainers, with Zwift.
    I stopped at 27 minutes, and rowed for 12 minutes, then walked for about 20 minutes.

vvspwvsby3j0.png

I've actually got the heat on in here!!

Machka in Oz

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,798 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,978 Member
    Options
    <3
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Did Jane Fonda’s Fit and Strong DVD then because it was raining out, did a Denise Austin indoor walking DVD. Yesterday, it had stopped raining so Vince and I took a walk. He didn’t want to do much of a walk because it was cold. Well, I continued around the block and by the time I got home, I wasn’t cold at all. I want him to get in the habit, so even a small walk is better than nothing. I don’t know why my pedometer isn’t registering my steps. When I started the DA DVD, I had 1,000 steps. 45 minutes later, I only had another 1,000 steps. Now that isn’t right.

Mary – we did try New Orleans. I had always wanted to go so we tried it last year when Steve stopped by. I must say that it WAS good.

Barbara – I’m beginning to run out of room for DVD’s!!! I think I’m going to have to get another cabinet for them….lol

Think I’ll try to get things ready for tomorrow’s dinner (what I can, like peel the potatoes, make the coleslaw but without the dressing, those sorts of things). Jess still isn’t here, I have no idea when they plan to come.

Michele NC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Beth let us know if your Dr gives you any good advice to get rid of the tinnitus I know others that might benefit.

Rosemary great job on the 5 lbs!!!

Michele We tried to find a restaurant that would be as good as that one last night but it was a big failure! I ordered blackened chicken and bacon Mac and cheese, and it was extremely bland. I asked the waiter if he had some Cajun spices or even salt pepper, because none was on our table to put on it because it was just like eating noodles. When he came back and asked if it was any better I said no it didn’t really make a difference. Now all I tasted was the Cajun spices. The blackened chicken didn’t even taste like it. Had any spices on it either. The manager came over and said he knew that that was not a very tasty dish from other people. So he didn’t charge us for my meal which I didn’t eat any how except for the chicken and bacon.

We just met up with my son and daughter-in-law, and are following them the last leg of our trip. She drives like Mario Andretti on steroids!!

💕 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    🙊 🙉 🙈

Katla
  • Machka9
    Options
    According to my audiologist, my tinnitus is typical of my type of hearing loss and there isn't much I can do about it.

I do notice that it gets really loud when I'm stressed (and my BP is high). The other week when I had a series of stressful circumstances, I could hardly hear myself think it was blaring so loud. So reducing stress is good.

Otherwise I can try training my brain to ignore it which does seem to work somewhat when I keep at it.

From May 2022's thread ...
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Tinnitus Apps
    I think Lynette [it was Beth] might have asked about the Tinnitus Apps which my audiologist recommended.

1) Resound Relief App
    https://www.resound.com/en-au/hearing-aids/apps/relief

The idea is to listen to a sound of my choice for 2-4 hours a day at a volume where I can hear both the sound AND my tinnitus. Doing that will, apparently, cause my brain to get used to the sound and eventually ignore it and at the same time also ignore my tinnitus.

2) Widex Zen Tinnitus
    https://www.widexpro.com/en-au/business-support/tinnitus-solutions/

Same idea as the first with some additional relaxation features.

I have balanced earbuds on top of my earplugs, under my headband, in the midst of my sleep cocoon to enjoy peaceful sounds as I relax before sleep.

Machka in Oz

From September 2022's thread ...
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Tinnitus --

I'm attempting to do "Sound Therapy" to reduce the perception of my tinnitus. Some days it's not too bad ... other days I feel like screaming at my inner ears "Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!"

Now, for Sound Therapy to work, I need to listen to certain types of sound for 4+ hours a day. Shorter periods of time don't convince the brain that the phantom noise is inconsequential.

I have been using an app on my phone, but just recently I made a discovery.

On my PC at work and laptop at home, I've discovered that in my list of apps under the Start Menu is "Microsoft Store". I've seen it, but never paid any attention to it till very recently.

In there are apps of all sorts. Some cost money and some are free.

If I search on words like: Tinnitus, Relax, White, and Noise, and Filter to select Free apps, there are a bunch of free apps. I've downloaded most of them and I've started listening to them at work, while I work.

After a couple days, my tinnitus is the quietest it's been in a while. :):)

Machka in Oz

Machka in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Mary – I’m so sorry you had such a bad experience at the other restaurant. No amount of money could replace your disappointment

Jess just called to say they’re going to be here tomorrow around 11. Honestly, I don’t know why that girl waits until the last minute to do things. I like to have things ready to go, or at least as much as possible. We can’t make the mac and cheese until tomorrow but I’m going to try to get other things done in advance, as many things as possible. I’ve made the bacon (it’s probably for the green beans), peeled and sliced the potatoes and just have it sitting in water for tomorrow. Now I’ll probably make more brownies for tomorrow, we’ll just have the brownies and ice cream cake. Wonder if I can get the pineapple casserole assembled? I can probably get the green beans assembled.

Jess has had my bisque of Tigger for months now. I was hoping that she’d draw the stripes on it for me so that I can paint it. Why she didn’t do it at first is beyond me. So I asked her to bring it back and if needed, I’ll have Michelle (at ceramics) do it for me. Wonder if she’ll remember????

Michele NC
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Rita - Big hugs for your messy childhood trauma. You have done so well to become the person you are. Respect! :)

There are a lot of 'survivors' on this thread. Cheers for all of us! <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Thank you Heather, that really spoke to me. I needed that.

RVRita
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Machka — Three cheers! It is good that you have been able to find apps that reduce tinnitus. Congratulations! I hope they continue to help. 🤞🏻. 🤞🏻. 🤞🏻

Katla
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,656 Member
    Options
    :)