WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2023

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,847 Member
    Good afternoon all!
    Pip- Love the paint job and the barrel fountain! I like the new fountain as well. Please post pics when you get it set up. Are you thinking of flowers or greenery in or around it? My DH has had accidents from time to time. It is usually when he is sick or when his RA is so bad that he can't make it to the bathroom. I bought him a box of the men's adult diaper/briefs. He hates them; but he will wear them around the house or out for a drive or walk with a longer jacket or shirt, when he feels he might need them. I feel for Kirby, and any others who get these little "surprises" even when they are feeling healthy.
    Rita- You sound much more chipper. Has the weather moderated a bit?
    Rebecca- Only one time has my DH commented (Yuck!) about something a child was eating. I whacked him on the head with a wooden spoon. Talk like that could cause a mutiny in my childcare! lol
    Beth- Ugh! Things hissing at you from behind the siding! Who needs THAT?! Sorry about your blender! It reminds me of a blender mishap I had a few years ago. I was making tomato soup for my childcare kid's lunch. One of the kids was watching me cook the tomatoes and pour them into the blender. He was talking and asking questions and I was so busy listening and answering that I forgot to put the lid on and hit "blend". Well, I had tomato soup/ chunks of tomato dripping off my ceiling! Child says, "Boy Miss Kel! That was cool! It looked like a volcano!" lol At least I was laughing instead of swearing.
    Proms- Around here, prom is usually officially the Junior and Senior Prom. The Juniors plan and throw the prom (and may also attend) for the Seniors. Underclassmen may come as a guest/date of an upperclassman. I went every year; but the best/most fun year for me was my Senior year when I went with my cousin. lol No sexual pressure and we had a blast.
    Food prices- I spend on average about $250/week on groceries. I feed my family of three (me, DH, and DYS) for the week AND I feed 12 children breakfast, lunch, and two snacks, five days a week. BUT...my grocery cost average pre-covid was about $175/week. *sigh It is what it is. My kiddos eat healthy home made meals, fruits and veggies for snacks. I could save money and time by giving them junk or processed pre made meals, but they are getting the majority of their health and nutrition while in my care. I also know that a lot of the parents cook only pizza, chicken nuggets, hot dogs for the kids. I figure, now they can do this and not feel so bad; knowing that the kids are eating well, here.
    Well, it is about time to get the littles up from nap. 2 1/2 more hours with kids, an hour of work for dinner and clean and sanitize things. Then I can relax for the night. This is why walks/exercise at night is not going to happen for me. lol I HAVE to do it in the morning or I won't have the energy. Lately my morning exercise has been yoga and yard work. I got outside so early the other day, I scared a skunk out of my sandbox. Luckily he didn't spray much. It only smelled for a couple of hours. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,055 Member
    UPDATED STATS-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 4min 39sec, 131elev, 3.10ap, 84ahr, 130mhr, 6.75mi= 651c
    Strava app = 827c
    Zwift home spin bike- strava stats- 32.11min, 151elev, 117aw, 18.8amph, 30gear, 99ahr, 134mhr, 10.06mi= 194c
    Strava app= 216c
    Zwift stats- 32.12min, 153elev, 117aw, 53arpm, 18.82amph, 10.1mi= 216c
    Walk to donate blood and back- 22.51min, 1.13mi= 103c
    Strava app= 138c

Total cal 948c
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,138 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »
    18. Send a hand written note to someone you care about. Earlier this week to R’s son K.

Debbie you are a great shopper/food managaer, and BTW your 22K+ steps is so impressive. How many were you walking last year? As for the raccoon spring loaded cover, was it something like this?

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer. May: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.

Not exactly like that- They looked just like the normal vent covers(rectangle shape) but were spring loaded. The ones you shared would not be anywhere big enough for these fat coons to get through. I am pretty sure the possum would get stuck too. Would not want to have to fight to get either of them out of that if they got stuck.

I have always been a frugal shopper. I don't really need to do it as much now but it is something I really enjoy doing- finding the bargains and figuring out a balanced meal to go with it.
    Having the freezer(that is now cleaned out-yeah!!!) really helps. Like getting the ricotta that was close to pull date for .50cents. I had been getting cottage cheese and freezing it because when it defrosts, the texture is the same as ricotta. Love getting the real stuff for cheaper price.

I was walking less than half of what I am now a year ago. A year ago this week, I did 14K and 12K on zumba nights and averaged 5000 on the other days.
    Sure wish the weight would start coming off. Not giving up but a bit discouraged. Still keeping calories between 1000-1200(1000 in case I am not tracking exactly right)and I do not much over, if at all, even on Zumba nights. I do allow a few extra treats on those nights(like 1/2 cup of chocolate peanut butter ice cream last night after class.

Debbie
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited May 2023
    Carla it’s not sauerkraut. It’s fried chopped cabbage and onions. I think it’s more of a filler. It’s really the spices and the bread that are very tasty!

Vicki we used to drive through your city. Now we take 81 straight north from 56. Our friends that used to live in Nebraska actually have a case of the Runza sandwiches shipped to them in Oregon now.

We just arrived back home! Now to clean up and set up our camper to move down to the resort we will be staying at. Then to talk to our caretaker tomorrow.

💕 Mary from Minnesota/Arizona
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,990 Member
    Afternoon ladies
    Ol Allie is woof just a mess ,the pollen is doing me in with no rain its been horrible..we should be getting some rain on Saterday so hopefully that will help.but even with the flonase.Im a hot mess..
    Doris enjoyed the buffet
    I only had a little bit.. and afterwards we went down and fed an apple to her daughters minature horse Chip.. he was happy to see us..
    Will have to bring Miles to see him.t5l2psd2a6mo.jpg
    d2t3un9dwvqs.jpg
    First picture is Miles reading the Christmas cookie book to himself
    Second picture,out for a stroll with mom.
    Tracy got emails from teachers..Carmine,skipping classes,playing on phone not paying attention, not staying after school to get extra help.
    So Kyle and Tracy will talk with her after Miles is in bed,and the Ipod and phone will.be gone indefinitely. She will not be seeing Seth until she works on getting her grades up..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,443 Member
    Joy1580vb wrote: »
    Groceries prices are ridiculous here too which I'm sure is the same all over. Have to travel for about an hour to get to No Frills which we tend to shop at more often. Will also go to Edmonton Costco about every 3 to 4 months to stock up.

Got my garden totally in. I think this is the earliest I have ever planted. Now hoping for rain. Had planted my tomato plants in the garden shortly after I got back from Ireland and they seem to be thriving. It got down to plus 4 last night so hoping they are still o.k. Weather is all over the place from +30 to +4. Not sure what to expect this summer. I noticed that all the fruit trees are now blooming and lots of flowers even on the native berry trees. I have a Pembina plum that is literally loaded in blooms. Going to a greenhouse this morning to pick up a good pollinator for this plum as I never seem to get very much fruit from it. Have a sandcherry tree close to it which is supposed to be good but I don't think it is enough. Will get another plum and see what happens.

Enjoy your day everyone.

Joy

Growing our own veggies and fruit helps to keep the grocery bills down.

How is the fire situation where you are?

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,443 Member
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Regarding white shoes (from a while back) or white clothing in general ... mostly a nope from me.

Regarding food prices ... groceries got up around $300/week for us. After a few weeks of that, I started ordering less and got it down to about $225/week.

M in Oz

wow- I can't imagine spending that much on food a week. I seriously dont' think we spend $300 a month on food for us. We shop around at the local Asian and Mexican markets and the sales at Safeway and the rest is from Grocery Outlet. We used to go to another grocery store ever couple weeks to check out their sales but trying to use up what is in the freezer first so haven't done a lot of shopping the past month, just for fresh stuff.

I did a casserole with some of the left over shrimp from taco night(Shrimp was $2.99 lb for two pound bags and got the limit of 4-we love shrimp-so versatile), added a container of ricotta that I got for 2/$1 and froze, seasoned with parm, garlic, lemon pepper. Layered a little canned Alfredo sauce ($1), some cooked shell pasta (.25), the shrimp/ricotta, another layer of pasta, topped with the rest of the sauce and a little mozzerella I got at food program the last time I helped. It is the vegan kind but the guys couldn't tell. I would have used lasagna noodles but didn't have any and had extra packs of pasta shells. Other times I have had the large shell noodles or manicotti noodles and stuffed them with it.
    Enough food for 4 along with a salad $1.50
    So about $4 for dinner for the four of us.

Groceries are expensive here!

We have 2 main grocery store companies (similar to Safeway) and a collection of more "boutique", I suppose, smaller, more expensive grocery stores like the Asian markets, the fresh fruit and vegetables places etc.

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,055 Member
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    I’ve had a headache for the past couple of days. I have plans to go to an eye doctor in the near future & I’m not sure of the cause of the headaches—headache or glasses or some mystery.

Katla
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,129 Member
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,138 Member
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Lanette-We used to give our spent beer grains to neighbors to feed their chickens. They said it saved a bit on food costs that way and we'd toss the grains anyway. Might be worth a check in your area to see if there are any homebrewers you can trade grains for a few eggs once in a while once they are laying. We'd get half dozen every 3rd or 4th time, which we loved.

Prom-For us it was for juniors and seniors. Juniors plan and decorate for the seniors. Both grades can go with dates. So, you can go if you're younger or older, but need to be the "date" of a junior or senior. I went both years, but hated having to ask someone. I didn't have a boyfriend my junior year, so that was torture for me. I probably would have preferred to not go, but my mother had none of that. LOL.

Debbie-Our Grocery Outlet is equally as expensive as the big name stores (Vons/Ralphs, etc.). I make my shopping list and compare when I'm shopping so I can see if I'm wasting time going to several markets. The least expensive store here that I've found and is reasonable for me to get to is a local Mexican market. They don't have everything I need (mostly specialty items), but they have the basics for a lot less.

Woke up with a migraine. Took some ibuprofen and it went away for a bit, but it has just made its way back. So, will retreat to the sofa.

Tina in CA

Each Grocery Outlet is independently owned so the items and prices may/usually do vary.
    We have two in our town and two in the next town plus others not far away. We always hit one in what ever town we happen to be in(we know where they all are- two in Napa, including the one my son works at, two in Vallejo, two in Concord, one in Fairfield and one in Vacaville.
    You never know what you will find.
    Our Mexican grocery store here is Cardenas. It is big and has some great prices on fresh fruit, veggies and some meat.
    For Asian, we have Island Pacific and Seafood City. We are getting a smaller version of Ranch 99 soon.

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,225 Member
    Good evening ladies!

Today I ate 1273 calories which is a little high again. I was hungry for a snack this evening so I had an extra yogurt. Not a bad choice.

I did twenty minutes on the bike and then the dumbbells. Yay! So I made a deficit of 316. Yay!
    A pretty good day overall. I'm especially proud that I can do a few lunges now. I always had trouble with those.

Weigh-in is tomorrow and I will be lucky to break even after eating so much for Mother's Day. We shall see.

Annie in Delaware
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,987 Member
    <3