WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2023

Replies

• minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 639 Member
    (((hugs))) to those who need them.

I heard that ginger works well for upset tummies. Don't have any, darnit, Debbie, but thanks. Feeling a bit better today, but taking a "mental health" day today anyway.

OKAY Barbara, you're on! I actually love cooked cabbage. I really love just about any veggie, cooked or raw, just NOT sauerkraut!

Mary, that sounds AMAZING! Wish you could have grabbed some and THROWN them at me on your drive by.

That's so tough, Allie, but whatever has to be done has to be done. Poor Carmine is just so troubled that she's just letting things go more that they realized. They can expect her to lash out even more now. It will probably get worse before it gets better again.

Kim, sometimes all it takes is talking it over with someone else. SO glad you had that someone! Your mom has been a handful, that's for sure, but she has no idea what she's going to need once she's truly on her own. Glad you had a chat with the PT company and your nephew. Enjoy your countdown!

OMGosh, Rebecca, my absolute FAVORITE dinner (breakfast, lunch, meal!!!) Send some over please! Darling pix.

Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,225 Member
    edited May 2023
    Hello my friends.
    Today I weigh 168.1, which is pretty much maintenance for April and May. That's not bad considering the weekend I had. Now I have to get back to losing like I did in March. Time to exercise!

Allie, I'm so sad for Carmine. Just a tough unhappy situation.

Kim Yay for the breakthrough! Glad you can see the end of this phase.

Annie in Delaware
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Carol--Seems no one wants to stay at a job very long anymore. The one that just left had been here 2 years last month. Grass always looks greener somewhere else. I know they pay well here and the work is not hard, just stressful at times.
    Kim--Glad you have a date from your mom to return home.
    Tracey--You sound so much better already.
    Rebecca--Love the pictures of Athena and the zoo. Looks like you made some great memories.
    So glad it is Friday.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 4,189 Member
    2023 Mindful May

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate the Balance app and free year.

Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 1/15 100%,100%,80%,73%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 8/31 (84%,86%,94%,93%)
    6 min HIIT -1x a day start April 1- 0/31 (93%)
    Arm weights twice a week 0/10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow, hurt my shoulder 30%,50%)
    Meditation: daily. 13/31 (82%(started Feb)94%,100%)

Feeling overwhelmed this month. Taking a break from the list above until I feel more in control.

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 8/8–(100%,100%,0%,0)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 10818, 8171, 8856, (7,700,100%-9851,100%—9526,100%—-9,559,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 54/208/ —(100%,100%,100%,50%should be 86 by June1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)40/94 (100%,100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4 (100%,100%,100%,0%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 16/15 (100%,88%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 19/12 (100%,100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR——4/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 )(100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200 (100%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Do something kind for someone you really care about. I need to think about this and plot! I gave my son a gift card to Netflix. He needed something to make him smile.
    2. Focus on what you can do instead of what you can’t. I will try. Did this.
    3. Take a step toward an important goal no matter how small. I have to think about this. I did not buy beer today. Working on not enabling my DH.
    4. Send a friend a photo of a time you enjoyed together. DONE!
    5. Let someone know how much they mean to you and why. It’s my brother’s 59’th birthday today. Going to call him. We never really call each other.
    6. Look for people doing good and reasons to be cheerful. Will do! And found them all over all day!
    7. Make a list of what matters most to you and why. Did this in my journal.
    8. Set yourself a kindness mission and help others today. Do this every day
    9. What values are important to you? Find ways to use them today. Will try.
    10. Be grateful for the little things, even in difficult times. It is hard right now but trying.
    11. Look around for things that give you a sense of awe and wonder. There is plenty here at the park. Wondering how a cave could turn into a lake.
    12. Listen to a favorite pieces of music and remember what it means to you. I will try to remember to do this. Did not have time.
    13. Find out about the values or traditions of another country. Sounds like fun! I looked up Canada and specialty Quebec where my family originated.
    14. Get outside and notice the beauty in nature. I love doing this!
    15. Do something to contribute to your local community. Helped a homeless man today.
    16. Show your gratitude to people who are helping to make things better. Will watch for this. Did this to school group’s surprise visit to the park.
    17. Find a way to make what you do today meaningful. I try every day by helping people find campsites in emergencies.
    18. Send a hand written note to someone you care about. To be completed. Did not finish.
    19. Reflect on what makes you feel valued and purposeful. Did a grateful meditation on the Balance app this morning which helped me do this.
    20. Share 3 photos of things you find meaningful or memorable.
    21. Look up at the sky and remember we are a part of something bigger. I
    22. Find a way to help a project or charity you care about.
    23. Recall 3 things that you’ve done that you are proud of.
    24. Make choices that have a positive impact on others today.
    25. Ask someone else what matters most to them and why.
    26. Remember an event in your life that was really meaningful.
    27. Focus on how your actions make a difference to others.
    28. Do something special and revisit in your mind tonight.
    29. Today do something to car for the natural world.
    30. Share a quote you find inspiring to give others a boost.
    31. Find three reasons to be hopeful about the future.
    RVRita in NM
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,055 Member
    edited May 2023
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 54min36sec, 51elev, 3.21ap, 83ahr, 115mhr, 6.18mi= 573c
    Strava app= 758c
    Zwift home spin bike- strava stats- 1hr 35min 49sec, 1552elev, 115aw, 15.7amph, 112ahr, 144mhr, 25.02mi= 658c
    Strava app= 632c
    Zwift stats- 1hr 35min 50sec, 1555elev, 115aw, 15.65amph, 53arpm, 25mi= 633c

Total cal 1231
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,816 Member
    White Clothing ... I do wear white pants in the summer, but do not wear white tops. I manage to keep the pants fairly clean but just don't like the way I look in white tops.

Fruit Trees ... we have had many varieties over the years. Our first home was purchased from an elderly couple who loved to garden so we had apple, pear and cherry along with red and black currants and gooseberries. We used to then go pick strawberries and huckleberries. I made a lot of jam! We have tried planting different varieties of fruit at our current home with mixed results. The cherry trees ended up with scale, Peach trees never produced and the wildlife ate our blueberries. There are some wild black raspberries in the field behind the house... I pick those. We now have two apple trees that produced heavily last year, but had very few blossoms this year. Seems to be the way it goes.

Debbie ... I'm still trying to figure out how you only spend $300 on groceries. Even with discount grocers I'm spending much, much more than that for my husband, son and I. I have to report, however, that on a shop today I discovered eggs had dropped to 1.69 which is definitely
    more reasonable. And I saw that Walmart had them for 1.29. My grocery bill would be significantly less if it were just my husband and I. We're happy with eggs and toast for dinner or a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup. I cook a lot more for my son.

Allie ... I'm sorry that Carmen is having problems at school. My niece's son is about the same age and just hates school even though he's more than capable. Last I heard, he was failing this year as well.

Lanette ... chicken update. Apparently the chicken we saved from the fox survived! Tough old girl! While I see other's from the coop in our yard, she has learned her lesson and stays on the other side of the fence. Learned her lesson the hard way.

Rebecca ... you're giving Athena memories ... the very best kind of gift you can give! The pictures are great

Kim ... so glad there is an end in sight. Hang in there and remember that you have done your very best and what comes after is no reflection of your care or concern.

Vicki ... I think others have said it better, but you are under no obligation to be your company's "back-up" plan. Do what you can and then do no more. Hugs.

It's raining and I'm just thrilled because I can now beg off on the bonfire that our church was planning for this evening. Even if it stops raining I'm not sitting in a saturated field with bugs! My husband is also dealing with a gout flare-up and while he was the one who wanted to go, the rain nixed his enthusiasm. :*

Beth near Buffalo

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,517 Member
    Pip ~ Nice to see the miles you are riding and outdoing the other riders! Congrats. :)

Allie ~ There is hope for Carmine! Our son had a lot of problems in school and as a young adult, but, he has become a very good husband, father, and has a great work ethic.

Katla ~ I hope you will be able to get your vision corrected soon. It must be very difficult when seeing is not clear.

Kim ~ Good to hear that you have arranged a plan that might work for your mom. Pray that it goes well.

I went to the grocery store and walked for an hour this morning. By the time I got home, my knees were yelling at me!

Carol in GA

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,990 Member
    Came home took a nap,changed my clothes got in jammies and did a load of laundrys4ppyhy5aq5q.jpg
    Tracy and Miles at the local garden center..
  • pipcd34
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,783 Member
    edited May 2023
    Joy1580vb wrote: »
    It is so smoky here today. There is an uncontrolled fire within 1 km of the town of Fox Creek which is west of Edmonton. It’s about 340 km from where I am. Not sure if that is contributing to the smoke we are seeing and smelling but it probably is. The closest uncontrolled fire is north of us about 200 km and is quite large.

My thoughts are with all the evacuated people and all the firefighters. We are getting much needed help from across Canada along with some from the US. The last stats I read said there are 93 fires in our province with 24 being uncontrolled.

I hope everyone stays safe and we get much needed rain.

Joy

Joy - I spoke with my best friend this morning, who now lives in southern Montana, and she said it is so smoky down there that visibility is limited, and people with asthma or respiratory illness are being cautioned to stay inside if they can. Those fires must be huge to impact so much area. Hope your needed rain comes soon, and you and your family are safe.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,225 Member
    Good evening ladies!
    Today I ate 1083 calories Yay!
    And I did twenty minutes on the bike, an hour of yoga, and thirty minutes of aerobic walking Yay! I found my video Yay! So I had a deficit of 498 calories Yay! An excellent day of diet and exercise.

Annie in Delaware
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 404 Member
    From what I can see on the wildfire website, fires that are uncontrolled appear to be in the heavily forested areas and cover a huge area. Not surprised that Montana is affected as the whole province is blanketed.

I have also noticed that this heavy smoke is having an affect on our wild birds. In the last 2 days there have been 4 birds that have crashed into our house windows. Two woodpeckers, a robin and a large spruce grouse. I was surprised that the window didn’t break when the grouse collided. All birds seemed to knock themselves out but came to and flew off. I had to pick up the grouse and set him in a safe area away from my bird killing cat. Took him a bit longer to fly off. No hummingbirds have arrived yet. They usually appear around this time. I set up the feeder last week. I wonder if this smoke will affect their migration.

Joy
  • pipcd34
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,138 Member
    Well Seth is over at the house and they have him helping her with school work.. there ya go Bingo..he is a graduating senior.. and she is a flunking freshman.. a match made right there.. hopefully he can help get her through this rough patch..

I think that is exactly perfect match.if he is willing to help and she wants to impress him. She wont have such an attitude with him.