WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2023

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Rori - just seen your post. Phew! Life and health is so fragile and unpredictable! Sending hugs and grateful thoughts. <3<3<3

Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Rori I’m sorry that you had such a bad experience! I hope that you feel better quickly! Lucky that you didn’t get a concussion or break anything.

💕Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Rorilad your fall damage was not worse! Very scary stuff. Don't you have a trip coming up? Arnica is good stuff.

Spending time today with structural engineer reviewing the damage done to building during explosion. It is a slow process getting all inspectors in. Depending on what is determined today, it may just be repair of building rather than raze to the ground and replace, We are hoping the project will be finished this fall. The construction group is now paying liquidated damages since the project was not completed on time (they were behind before the explosion and since they were at fault in explosion further delay is on them). Hoping we get some fairly good news.

Have a good day,

Ginny in Ohio
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,605 Member
    Options
    Good Wednesday!
    My eyes take forever to get back to normal after dilation! I think from now on I will be sure to make appointments in the afternoon like yesterdays. I felt self conscious "hollywooding" as my DH calls it, but any lights hurt. Definition- wearing sunglasses even inside. Even when I went to bed 6 hours later I still only had a small sliver of blue showing. Anyway, appointment went well. I did get a prescription for bifocals so that I could get transition lenses again. My eyes have always been light sensitive. Working inside and outside, I have had two pairs of glasses on my head at work! The Costco eye care person was understanding about the bright lights and trying to fit my new lenses. I like the frames I picked out as I also got polarized bifocal sunglasses. Those should be ready in about a week. I am trusting him that I picked out good frames since it was soooo bright in there. There isn't much prescription, but the transition lenses will make a huge difference in my comfort.

HeatherUK and Rori I am so thankful for your healthy habits that protected you both from worse injuries with your falls! Heather Years ago when I fell and broke a bone in my hand, the relief once they put the cast on was immense! I am lucky that I am ambidextrous, so that didn't have a big effect on my other than a few things. 4 hand surgeries prior also gave me lots of practice. Quick healing to both of you!

Rebecca Just HUGS!

Love the Tulips! I tried to grow them several years ago, but between the dogs and squirrels, it was not successful. I may have to try to plant again this fall.

Couldn't read anything last night, so finished watching a movie then listened to a podcast while I got my 20 minute walk in before bed. Should have done earlier, but couldn't get the energy. At least got it done!

Need to get ready for work. Ginny One of my customers asked me if I knew what OHIO stood for? I told him no. His answer.... Oh He!! Its Overcast! LOL!!!! I hope we see some sun today.

Healing thoughts!
    Strong choices!
    Lots of love!

Kylia in Ohio with her long johns on again!

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    gndrmrgzg80p.jpg
    jvr069yznemk.jpg
    :) Some of the happy tulips in my yard

Pretty!

I picked up some tulip bulbs yesterday. :)

Last year was the first year I've seen tulips or tulip bulbs available here, since I've lived here. I bought three tulip plants with 2 or 3 bulbs in each pot. They were on their last legs at the end of the season and half off, but that was OK ... I was after the bulbs!

Between them and the ones I got yesterday, I've got quite a few and I've got to figure out where to put them! I'll probably plant them in late June.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Another cold, dank day. Work was ok. Brother and his wife in from Florida for quick visit (finishing up with her family clearing house of her sister who passed last year). Met at Fazoli's for dinner with brother and his wife who live here (the brother who had the surgery and has mild cognitive impairment). Was a short visit but nice (some trips are like that). Will try to chat with Fla. brother about his impressions of local. I see further decline in him. There's just a sense of disconnection with him. He is aware of forgetting things mid sentence, so that is a bit sad. We just tell him to let us know when it comes to him.

Take care all,
    Ginny in Ohio

My husband is a lot like that.

He forgets words (aphasia) but I've gotten pretty good at guessing.

He remembers the past quite well ... those memories are quite deeply embedded.

But as for memories since the accident, over the past 5 years, they are very hit or miss. Sometimes he can remember if he isn't being pressured, other times he simply can't. It's one of the reasons why I accompany him to anything important where he might need to provide information or where he might need to remember information.

I used to think I didn't have a very good memory, but since his accident, I have made a big effort to remember things and it turns out I have a better memory than I thought!

M in Oz

• kymarai
    Options
    Listening to Clutterbug podcast. Cas states that she is not a structured routine type person but instead thinks of her routine as fluid. That spoke to me. My DH is very structured in his routine which has served him well with his blindness. Yes, it is annoying to me especially when we need to leave early for something, but it works for him. I, on the other hand, need to know what I need to get done, and try to fit something in. So emptying the dishwasher (which I dislike immensely) before I pour our coffee in the morning works for me most likely because it is generalized. Kind of like making goals but not being specific to the max. I think like Lisa . Machka I can see as very specific goal oriented. Neither is bad, just different. One of the things that Cas said was that not one program/ goal making/organizing style fits everyone. We have to make tweaks to make it our own. My life is so crazy that I take bits and pieces from all of you and try to fit them into something that works for me.
    All of your different lifestyles and experiences continue to help me in this journey towards a more peaceful, grateful, and healthy life!

Thank you!
    Kylia in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    Heather: What a scare :😨 So glad you got yourself to the clinic and the mending has begun. I know this sounds weird, but cat's purr is supposed to be a frequency that helps with healing bones. I found a free "cat purring" app and it helped with my broken ankles and foot.

My April went out with a bang. Literally. I was climbing over the short wrought iron railing that separates my concrete deck from my river rock backyard. I must have zigged when I should have zagged because in a blink I was dangling off it with one knee barely holding on to the top. I went down on the rocks landing on the back of my head and base of my spine. Total drop was less than 12 inches, and I was able to get myself back up and inside. My tenant Matthew was home and rushed out. He got me a cold pak and watched me like a hawk. I alternated sitting with walking because I just didn't want my back to stiffen up. My head seemed fine. No blood or bruising. None of the signs of concussion. Used ice and heat for a few hours. I slept okay that night, but next morning got myself to clinic where they took xrays. Nothing broken! The doctor did encourage me to get the pneumonia vaccine and part one of the shingles vaccine. I've been ducking these for 2 years, but they got me in a moment of weakness. I rarely have bad reactions to shots, but these two, on top of back stiffness, really hit me hard. Spent last two days feeling lethargic and listless. Hope that tomorrow I can at least get in a shower and short walk. It only hurts when I am getting up from bed or a chair. Ditto what Margaret said about arnica. I've been using the homeopathic pills in combination with the gel. May get in a chiropractic treatment later this week.

Lesson learned. Slow down. Accept help and expertise. Treasure my health and especially my mobility. Feeling lucky, grateful and as Heather said, humbled.

Stay WELL friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Sitting on a heating pad
    Colorado Foothills

I'm sorry that happened to you!

These things happen in a flash ... I'm glad you weren't hurt worse.

Got some sleep. Yes, all round I'm counting my blessings.

I know there are some very frustrating times to come. I'll have to work out a different exercise regime and find a way to keep my bicep toned. No rowing! No push ups! Ballroom dancing and jive a bit awkward.
    I'm going to have today off, apart from some recumbent bike, as my arm will still be in a sling, but I'll definitely get back to it tomorrow and do what I can.. My ribs on the same side, left, are sore.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I'm glad you sought medical assistance! Did you have your ribs checked at the same time?

Both of you ... get well soon!

M in Oz

• minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    <3
  • kymarai
    Options
    Machka I think it is normal practice here in the US. Checking of retina. Normally dilation lasts 2-6 hours, longer for lighter eyes. Mine are usually about 8-9 hours
  • Machka9
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Machka I think it is normal practice here in the US. Checking of retina. Normally dilation lasts 2-6 hours, longer for lighter eyes. Mine are usually about 8-9 hours

I was reading over my optometrist's website and discovered they only do dilation if you've got diabetes because there are certain extra checks they do in that case.
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    (((Rori)))— Falls are painful. I hope you’re feeling better & continue to improve. I’m sorry you were hurt. 💖.

Katla
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    Rori and Heather so sorry about your falls!!!

Rori surprised they would give you both shoots together.

I am learning more and more about vaccines because of DrewB. For me it is sometimes the other things the solvent and preservative they use in the vaccine that makes me nervous. For the COVID they gave the manufacturers a get of being sued free card. If you have a long term reaction to the COVID shot you cannot sue. So before I get another vaccine I will do my research and if asked at a doctors office I will say I need to do more research about the vaccine before I agree. I will only do one vaccine at a time. Here they wanted to give the flu and COVID at the same time. I did not do this.

I still remember Larry Darst from when I worked at 3M years ago. He was a young man in his late twenties. He was given an assignment to go overseas. He needed to get certain shots because of the area he was visiting. Because of time pressures they gave him the shots all at once. He had a bad reaction which included life long seizures. He was never the same after that.

I did get three of the COVID shots separately but now that I have a homopathic remedy for COVID I will not do another one. When the hompatic remedy was put on youtube they removed it.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :)<3Rori, sorry to hear about your fall and glad to hear that the damage was minimal.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Machka sorry to hear about your kidney disease. Is there a particular diet that helps? Or just drinking lots of water?

The roofers have started removing the solar panels and Teddy is nervous about the noises and the strangers. I hope it doesn't take all day. At least my cold is much better today. Then later I need gas, and groceries, and two prescriptions. But I'd rather not leave Teddy here until the roofers have quit.

And I need to get back on my bike, and also do my video exercise.

Annie in Delaware where it is quite damp outside
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Re: dilation. My eye doctor offers to look at my eyes with a machine, that's not covered by insurance, but it's maybe $25, so I have her do that rather than dilate my eyes. I'm going again in about a week, so I'll pay more attention to what it's called. Because of that, I haven't had my eyes dilated in almost 10 years. It's really nice.

Sorry about your fall, Rori.

Machka, I had a kidney scare a few months ago, but the nephrologist decided it was a combination of COVID, Paxlovid, UTI, and antibiotic all in about two weeks. My kidney function plummeted, but it has rebounded to it's normal slightly compromised level, so everyone has calmed down. The nephrologist still wants to see me every six months to monitor, so I just add that to my bevy of medical appointments. I don't have any risk factors for ckd, so his advice was to drink lots and lots of water. Because of cancer and the meds I'm on, he did not recommend cutting back on protein. What is your kidney function score? GFR? Mine hovers between 48 and 56, depending on how hydrated I am. During the scare, it fell suddenly to 35.!

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR

ETA. I take blood pressure meds, but my BP is under control. I think my kidneys were compromised with my three pregnancies. I had pih with all three, pre eclampsia with the middle one, and gestational diabetes with the last two. Even on insulin during the last one, so my kidneys were abused.

Flea
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,065 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Heather: So glad you got that checked out. It will heal quicke now that you have the cast. Can’t offer any help for the frustration 😝 I’m champing at the bit, but know I have to pace myself for a while yet.

Rori: Also glad you got checked out. You just never know the minute when things (us!!!) come tumbling down.

☘️Terri