Nutrition advice needed for Marathon Training

a2z76
a2z76 Posts: 18 Member
I have signed up for a marathon that takes place in November 2023. This will be my second marathon. My first was in April of this year. I did it in 4 hours and 17 minutes. I had no idea what to expect and ran it simply for the experience with no time expectations. I absolutely enjoyed it and immediately signed up for the second one. This time around I have a time goal of 3 hours and 50 minutes which I think is doable. My questions are around nutrition for optimal fueling and recovery for the amount of running I will be doing. Should I be focusing on macros? -what types of foods and the timing of those for pre and post workouts - Hydration, what types of hydration should I focus on? Should I be taking supplements and if so which ones? I will be averaging about 45-55 miles a week of running. A couple days a week are speed workouts and threshold workouts. The other days of running are at an easy pace. Most days I am running an average of 45 to 90 minutes. On my long run I will do up to 2 hours of running. I usually run about 6 days a week. I also incorporate some strength training, usually 2 days a week about 20 minutes, low intensity. I am a 46 yr old female for reference. For my first marathon I didn't focus as much on my nutrition as I did on running. I ended up losing weight (not intentionally) and I felt like I was always eating. This time around I really want to optimize both running and nutrition. Also, any advice on fueling, timing and how much, during the marathon would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,602 Member
    a2z76 wrote: »
    I have signed up for a marathon that takes place in November 2023. This will be my second marathon. My first was in April of this year. I did it in 4 hours and 17 minutes. I had no idea what to expect and ran it simply for the experience with no time expectations. I absolutely enjoyed it and immediately signed up for the second one. This time around I have a time goal of 3 hours and 50 minutes which I think is doable. My questions are around nutrition for optimal fueling and recovery for the amount of running I will be doing. Should I be focusing on macros? -what types of foods and the timing of those for pre and post workouts - Hydration, what types of hydration should I focus on? Should I be taking supplements and if so which ones? I will be averaging about 45-55 miles a week of running. A couple days a week are speed workouts and threshold workouts. The other days of running are at an easy pace. Most days I am running an average of 45 to 90 minutes. On my long run I will do up to 2 hours of running. I usually run about 6 days a week. I also incorporate some strength training, usually 2 days a week about 20 minutes, low intensity. I am a 46 yr old female for reference. For my first marathon I didn't focus as much on my nutrition as I did on running. I ended up losing weight (not intentionally) and I felt like I was always eating. This time around I really want to optimize both running and nutrition. Also, any advice on fueling, timing and how much, during the marathon would be greatly appreciated!!
    I used to do long distance bike races and the go to back then was a big pasta dinner the night before and carrying a couple of energy bars and some gatorade however in this new millennium I'm sure there are more advanced ideas, however the old way worked great!

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Check out Brendan Brazier and Scott Jurek.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,168 Member
    Good for you, that's an audacious goal. You can do it!

This place isn't my goto for running details. There are some high quality runners here, probably more who will give the standards: running's bad for you, I walk. Do what feels intuitive, etc.

I found a running group here on MFP about two months ago. There are some solid, skilled, inspirating runners there. I'm happy I found them.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10889685/may-2023-monthly-running-challenge/
  • bleuchez
    bleuchez Posts: 13 Member
    DO NOT nervously drink a lot of water or electrolyte drink in the upcoming hours and minutes for the start. peed a lot and felt weak. of course I would drink as much as I needed during the run. i usually pee before any run so I dont get stuck (whatever), but I dont guzzle before running. I was nervous that time, second marathon too, probably needed some chit-chat.
    sorry cant advice for fodo sounds like you are godo o:)
  • bleuchez
    bleuchez Posts: 13 Member
    belamont wrote: »
    Anabolic overnight oats: my favorite pre workout meal

Mix all ingredients in a mason jar and refrigerate overnight.

1 cup rolled oats
    1 scoop vanilla whey
    8oz milk or substitute
    50g berries of your choice

Great option! This is almost exactly what I use with some slight differences; I swap the berries for banana which gets cut up and mashed into the mix (add berries before eating though), and cook up enough ~5 meals (be careful to stir frequently while cooking as it bakes to the bottom of a pot very easily with the protein powder). 2 meals go in the fridge, 3 in the freezer and take them out as needed throughout the week so I don't have to prep the night before.

I was previously just having a banana and protein shake ~30 to 40 minutes before a workout, and finding that I'd hit a wall about 45 minutes into the gym session. I switched to having the oats meal approximately 1 to 1.5 hours before the gym session, and found I could easily workout for up to 1h 45m before getting tired, and usually still had a bit left in the tank if I needed to add any cardio at the end of the session.
    I might try this type of recipe but I wont use supplements
  • BeanieBean93
    BeanieBean93 Posts: 56 Member
    edited June 2023
    I used to run a lot with my dad. I was still a growing kid so my diet was typical kid food but I remember his daily when he was training was some like -
    pre-run - banana, toast and peanut butter
    post run - fruit smoothie with protein powder
    lunch - sandwich, chips and fruit
    snack - trail mix and fruit and chocolate milk
    dinner - pasta with protein/rice with protein/ potatoes with protein / tacos with protein
    snack - something sweet/dessert-ish

We drank a lot of water but we also diluted gatorade with water and would take that on really long runs. He preferred to drink while he ran. I preferred to not. During my half marathon, I didn't stop for any water but drank a gallon within the hour after it. When I was training for my half, my nutrition was like -
    pre-run - toast, cottage cheese, eggs and fruit
    post run - lunch sandwich or pasta or potatoes and proteins, trail mix, cottage cheese and fruit
    snack - chips/crackers, yogurt and fruit
    dinner - similar to lunch but with more vegetables plus a cookie or something sweet
    snack - usually candy and cottage cheese
    I was 22, working an active job and eating about 4k-5k calories a day. I felt like I needed more food before I ran so I ate a bigger breakfast and waited about 30 minutes before going for a run.

Have fun training and congrats on your first marathon!