Struggles and Maintaining 65+lb Weight Loss with the 5% Community Challenges

Options
Catwmncat
Catwmncat Posts: 6,796 Member
edited June 2023 in Motivation and Support
q0ig1thib3o6.jpg
Do you struggle like I do to lose or maintain weight?? Losing is hard and for me maintaining is even harder!!

In all my way too many years of yo-yo dieting I had never managed to maintain any weight loss for more than a month. So after losing 65+lbs, going from over 200lbs down to 135lbs, the struggles to maintain began once again.

This time I was determined it was going to be different and I was able to maintain for 3 or 4 months on my own. I knew that reaching my desired weight was only the beginning of the path on my healthy lifestyle journey and I had to continue, but what to do now??? I knew I needed to continue tracking what I ate and getting exercise but how to stay motivated?? I knew I wasn't going to be able do it alone much longer.

I was a member of Sparkpeople at the time (they have since shut down the site) and kept seeing posts about the 5% Challenges and Success Stories from many of the leaders and members, but thought it was only for those trying to lose weight Not Maintain.

Once learning more about the challenges and how they work to improve health no matter where someone is in their personal journey I decided to give it a try, but didn't really think it would help me as I already knew how to lose weight. Boy was I wrong!!! With the help of my team I have been able to successfully maintain within a 10lb healthy range even through the trials and tribulations and ups downs of life. I learn something new each challenge and get to help others along the way. Maintenance has been an absolute rollercoaster ride always going up and down a few lbs, but 3yrs later I'm still within 10lbs of my lowest weight thanks to the 5% Challenges, the Leaders I have the pleasure of working with & learning from and the support of my Awesome Teammates!!!

There is a great sense of comradery among the teammates who motivate, support and encourage each other while having FUN. We cheer each other on celebrating the many victories, both on and off the scale, and share our experiences of what has worked and what has not for us when someone is struggling. We are all working together to achieve our individual, team and community goals in a judgement free positive atmosphere.

If you are ready to write your own Success Story with lots of support, won't you join us on the 2023 Summer 5% Challenge which begins on July 1st for Practice Week and then takes off for 8 weeks of Fun and Adventure on July 8th!

Plz join and have fun as we lose 5% of our weight, improve our health and make new friends. Race to Fascinating Places for 8 Weeks. Now you can write your own success story! Have a chat or post questions in the Airport Lounge Discussion. Your friends are welcome too.
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/144897-2023-summer-5-community-team-plz-join-us

Don't Forget to hit the JOIN button and then in the Announcements click on 💡💡Start Here - You Must Choose a Team💡💡 to Read About and Select A Team.

Why not do the Pre-Challenge Activites while waiting for the Summer Challenge to begin. They are not required, but those that choose to do them tend to achieve greater success.

Replies

• Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,113 Member
    Options
    @Catwmncat ,, WOW!! To maintain as I have for 2 months I thought was challenging, but I see you've done this for THREE YEARS!! That's great to see it's not only possible but doable. TY TY TY for showing us this. I LOVE the 5% Challenge!! Like you, I've lost weight (117 lbs). I encourage all to please join our team. The support is amazing! The challenges teach us to maintain our success as we hit our goals and get towards weight loss.
  • Catwmncat
    Catwmncat Posts: 6,796 Member
    Options
    @Dianedoessmiles1 Thank you for being a great role model for us all. Being the Captain (Challenge Leader) on our 5% team you have witnessed my weight fluctuation struggles over the past 3 years. It's usually only a few lbs, but without the challenges it would escalate rapidly. Working with you and the other leaders has allowed me to give back and help others. TY! TY! TY!