1235»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Brigit02 wrote: »
    There is no connective tissue or fat in these meats and resemble a flat piece of thickish ribbon and suspect they'll never be rolled out to be consumed on a plate, tough would be an understatement, and will probably be processed into various products for their amino acid content, maybe, who knows. The environmental impact looks large and possibly worse if they were ever to roll this process out globally from the research I've done. Personally I'd rather eat bugs, which I have done in the past and probably a lot more environmentally friendly as well.

The Bed Bath & Beyond Burger is sounding more and more sinister.

Also, I'm not going to eat bugs. Not yet ready to throw in the towel and live in dystopia.

If anyone is interested:

Lab Meat. The $1 Trillion Ugly Truth
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=V0zCf4Yup34

High odds you're already eating them.

Carmine, a widely-used natural food coloring, is made from crushed cocineal, a scale insect. It's used in yogurt, candy, gelatin, even some sausages and other processed meats.

And that's just one example.

I'm not stumping for veganism here, just clear thinking about whether it makes sense to rail about "eating bugs".
    I think it's disgusting. Would it be more ethical for humans to clone human meat than animals? I'll stick to trying to buy from humane free range farms or healthy plant alternatives.

Human cells (not whole humans) are already grown in labs. Within the appropriate legal/permission strictures, it's not generally considered unethical to grow and use them.

In an equivalent legal/permission context, I don't see why it would be unethical to eat them, even. No one is harmed.

Icky? Disgusting? Eye of the beholder, really, but IMO, yeah.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think "disgusting" is a synonym for unethical.

Exactly. And that's not even including the bugs that end up in our food by accident.

Or the ones many people eat willingly and intentionally. I've had cricket tacos. They were fine. The crickets themselves were fairly mild tasting.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Brigit02 wrote: »
    There is no connective tissue or fat in these meats and resemble a flat piece of thickish ribbon and suspect they'll never be rolled out to be consumed on a plate, tough would be an understatement, and will probably be processed into various products for their amino acid content, maybe, who knows. The environmental impact looks large and possibly worse if they were ever to roll this process out globally from the research I've done. Personally I'd rather eat bugs, which I have done in the past and probably a lot more environmentally friendly as well.

The Bed Bath & Beyond Burger is sounding more and more sinister.

Also, I'm not going to eat bugs. Not yet ready to throw in the towel and live in dystopia.

If anyone is interested:

Lab Meat. The $1 Trillion Ugly Truth
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=V0zCf4Yup34

High odds you're already eating them.

Carmine, a widely-used natural food coloring, is made from crushed cocineal, a scale insect. It's used in yogurt, candy, gelatin, even some sausages and other processed meats.

And that's just one example.

I'm not stumping for veganism here, just clear thinking about whether it makes sense to rail about "eating bugs".
    I think it's disgusting. Would it be more ethical for humans to clone human meat than animals? I'll stick to trying to buy from humane free range farms or healthy plant alternatives.

Human cells (not whole humans) are already grown in labs. Within the appropriate legal/permission strictures, it's not generally considered unethical to grow and use them.

In an equivalent legal/permission context, I don't see why it would be unethical to eat them, even. No one is harmed.

Icky? Disgusting? Eye of the beholder, really, but IMO, yeah.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think "disgusting" is a synonym for unethical.

Exactly. And that's not even including the bugs that end up in our food by accident.

Or the ones many people eat willingly and intentionally. I've had cricket tacos. They were fine. The crickets themselves were fairly mild tasting.

Absolutely. I find it odd that people will gladly eat shrimp and lobster, but are repulsed by the idea of eating an insect.