What do you think about test tube meat?

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,017 Member
    Options
    You can have the last word, my point has been made clearly enough and I think nobody else is interested now

but feel free to continue on......
  • Brigit02
    Brigit02 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think this meat "cloning" is a huge waste of money.
  • Brigit02
    edited June 2023
    Options
    They are just trying to find a way for the Mars colony to have a nice steakhouse without having to bring cows up there.

I know this was composed as a joke but probably somewhat true. Since Elon Musk is the one who's focused on Mars let him bank roll the "fake meat."
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    Brigit02 wrote: »
    They are just trying to find a way for the Mars colony to have a nice steakhouse without having to bring cows up there.

I know this was composed as a joke but probably somewhat true. Since Elon Musk is the one who's focused on Mars let him bank roll the "fake meat."

What? No. Just.... no. I don't mean to be rude, but that's not even a little based in reality. It's 99% more likely the reason they want to create lab grown meat is that they can't produce enough cattle to provide all the meat we want to eat. Hence the insane price for beef at the grocery store right now.
  • Brigit02
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

What? No. Just.... no. I don't mean to be rude, but that's not even a little based in reality. It's 99% more likely the reason they want to create lab grown meat is that they can't produce enough cattle to provide all the meat we want to eat. Hence the insane price for beef at the grocery store right now.

That may be true as well. Thing is you don't really know why big decisions are being made.
  • sollyn23l2
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

That may be true as well. Thing is you don't really know why big decisions are being made.

True, anything possible
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    There's always one in every crowd, who wants to pursue manifest destiny. An irresistible desire for a
    utopian society. There's far too many people, and not enough food to go around. Create lab-grown meat, we'll be so repulsed, we'll quit eating meat. Living in the midst of farming and ranching country, many have already been sold and turned into subdivisions. They're being sold off, piece by piece. We'll have to feed the people some sort of multi-crap.

Mankind seldom makes anything better. We make a mess of everything. We can't even maintain our own infrastructure, so we'll go to Mars and mess that up, too. That's what we do, it's who we are. They can kiss their Master Plan, Goodbye. They can try to shepherd us, but there will always be someone like me, filled to the brim with Cowboy Grit. I ain't eating their multi-crap test tube anything. I know how to fish. I'll figure it out.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,962 Member
    Options
    There's always one in every crowd, who wants to pursue manifest destiny. An irresistible desire for a
    utopian society. There's far too many people, and not enough food to go around. Create lab-grown meat, we'll be so repulsed, we'll quit eating meat. Living in the midst of farming and ranching country, many have already been sold and turned into subdivisions. They're being sold off, piece by piece. We'll have to feed the people some sort of multi-crap.

Mankind seldom makes anything better. We make a mess of everything. We can't even maintain our own infrastructure, so we'll go to Mars and mess that up, too. That's what we do, it's who we are. They can kiss their Master Plan, Goodbye. They can try to shepherd us, but there will always be someone like me, filled to the brim with Cowboy Grit. I ain't eating their multi-crap test tube anything. I know how to fish. I'll figure it out.

Ever since humans figured out how to preserve grain and animal husbandry, we took root with our first revolution called civilization, and were still trying to figure that one out, let along the technological revolution, where we have no idea what the long term effects will be especially with AI. We're playing with fire short term and the total extinction of humankind long term, we need to slow down because human in this context are just stupid and irresponsible. Cheers.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

Presumably it's not your money. If people with a business plan think this is a good way to invest their money, what business is it of yours?
  • neanderthin
    edited July 2023
    Options

Presumably it's not your money. If people with a business plan think this is a good way to invest their money, what business is it of yours?

I agree. If people lose money through a possible investment, it's on them, and other people's opinions doesn't really matter, well except maybe after the fact.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options

Ever since humans figured out how to preserve grain and animal husbandry, we took root with our first revolution called civilization, and were still trying to figure that one out, let along the technological revolution, where we have no idea what the long term effects will be especially with AI. We're playing with fire short term and the total extinction of humankind long term, we need to slow down because human in this context are just stupid and irresponsible. Cheers.
    Only species on the planet that screws each other over because of a percentage.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Brigit02
    edited July 2023
    Options

I'll leave these links here. This is my last post in this conversation.
    https://nature.com/articles/s41587-021-01165-2
    https://vegnews.com/2021/10/usda-lab-grown-meat
  • neanderthin
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Reminds me of the movie Aliens where Ripley says to Burke " I don't know which species is worse, we don't see them *kitten* over each other for a percentage". lol. cheers.
  • AdahGreen2022
    AdahGreen2022 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I think it's disgusting. Would it be more ethical for humans to clone human meat than animals? I'll stick to trying to buy from humane free range farms or healthy plant alternatives.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    ^^That does remind me of Donnor Pass, and the Donnor Party. Humans are 6 x more savage than the average beast. My cousin makes meals for her husband and freezes them. He won't cook, while she's away. She made food for the dog, too. He ate all of those meals, before he realized it. I'd still eat a dog's breakfast, too.

If their experiment goes sideways, we could all end up with Mad Cow Disease. It's already a dog-eat-dog world. Oy vey.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Reminds me of the movie Aliens where Ripley says to Burke " I don't know which species is worse, we don't see them *kitten* over each other for a percentage". lol. cheers.
    That's where it's from. I didn't invent the quote. "Aliens" is my favorite sci fi movie ever.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I think it's disgusting. Would it be more ethical for humans to clone human meat than animals? I'll stick to trying to buy from humane free range farms or healthy plant alternatives.
    Lots of FREE RANGE claims on meat are disengenous. Look up what the criteria is for it for them to put it on a label.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • neanderthin
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's where it's from. I didn't invent the quote. "Aliens" is my favorite sci fi movie ever.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Hahaha, yeah, one of the greats. Cheers.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options
    There is no connective tissue or fat in these meats and resemble a flat piece of thickish ribbon and suspect they'll never be rolled out to be consumed on a plate, tough would be an understatement, and will probably be processed into various products for their amino acid content, maybe, who knows. The environmental impact looks large and possibly worse if they were ever to roll this process out globally from the research I've done. Personally I'd rather eat bugs, which I have done in the past and probably a lot more environmentally friendly as well.

The Bed Bath & Beyond Burger is sounding more and more sinister.

Also, I'm not going to eat bugs. Not yet ready to throw in the towel and live in dystopia.

If anyone is interested:

Lab Meat. The $1 Trillion Ugly Truth
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=V0zCf4Yup34

High odds you're already eating them.

Carmine, a widely-used natural food coloring, is made from crushed cocineal, a scale insect. It's used in yogurt, candy, gelatin, even some sausages and other processed meats.

And that's just one example.

I'm not stumping for veganism here, just clear thinking about whether it makes sense to rail about "eating bugs".

Human cells (not whole humans) are already grown in labs. Within the appropriate legal/permission strictures, it's not generally considered unethical to grow and use them.

In an equivalent legal/permission context, I don't see why it would be unethical to eat them, even. No one is harmed.

Icky? Disgusting? Eye of the beholder, really, but IMO, yeah.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think "disgusting" is a synonym for unethical.

• sollyn23l2
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There is no connective tissue or fat in these meats and resemble a flat piece of thickish ribbon and suspect they'll never be rolled out to be consumed on a plate, tough would be an understatement, and will probably be processed into various products for their amino acid content, maybe, who knows. The environmental impact looks large and possibly worse if they were ever to roll this process out globally from the research I've done. Personally I'd rather eat bugs, which I have done in the past and probably a lot more environmentally friendly as well.

The Bed Bath & Beyond Burger is sounding more and more sinister.

Also, I'm not going to eat bugs. Not yet ready to throw in the towel and live in dystopia.

If anyone is interested:

Lab Meat. The $1 Trillion Ugly Truth
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=V0zCf4Yup34

High odds you're already eating them.

Carmine, a widely-used natural food coloring, is made from crushed cocineal, a scale insect. It's used in yogurt, candy, gelatin, even some sausages and other processed meats.

And that's just one example.

I'm not stumping for veganism here, just clear thinking about whether it makes sense to rail about "eating bugs".

Human cells (not whole humans) are already grown in labs. Within the appropriate legal/permission strictures, it's not generally considered unethical to grow and use them.

In an equivalent legal/permission context, I don't see why it would be unethical to eat them, even. No one is harmed.

Icky? Disgusting? Eye of the beholder, really, but IMO, yeah.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think "disgusting" is a synonym for unethical.

Exactly. And that's not even including the bugs that end up in our food by accident.