wgl0sr1tqs1r.jpeg
eb6l6uqhbr05.jpeg
72s2y25q1adp.jpeg
6ut68whkei6c.jpeg
p2rdx3k9sbz5.jpeg
b4zm3yhfdhqy.jpeg
dd2deqdr1wfn.jpeg

I’m Jeff from Fairhope, Alabama. I hope this helps:

I have lost 163 pounds (352 to 189) I’m 6’0”. I will get down to 180.

I am 46 years old. My BMI (if you care about that sort of thing) went from 47 to 26.5. My pants went from 48 to 34-32, depending on the cut. My shirts went from XXXLB to large or medium. My shoe size went from 14.5 to 13. My ring size went from 14 to a 9. I no longer have sleep apnea, HTN, insulin resistance, and all the other obesity markers. My most recent BP was 118/77. My resting HR is 49 (I had to check to make sure that was okay.) I no longer have self loathing. I learned how to recognize and care for my inner child. I make time for me and my health. I do what I say I will do. I never make excuses.

If you are with me so far, that felt a little uncomfortable and braggy, but that’s the type of stuff I would want to know if I were reading this post as someone just starting out.

The next thing I would want to know is, well, how’d you do it? With discipline, consistency, and patience. It takes all three. If one is missing then it won’t happen. Real long-term change will collapse.

I am just like you, if you are in this group. A lifetime of obesity, desperate to lose the weight and willing to do anything. I even got caught in the prolonged fasting trap for several years and have gone 7-10 days without eating, many times; basically torturing myself for nothing.

I have lost the weight and kept it off by changing my mindset. I talk about it on my TikTok channel some: @Jeff_Barker.

I count calories, but no food is ever off limits. I exercise 3-5 days a week, for the health benefits, not as a way to burn calories.

Never quit. The body and life of your dreams is there for your taking. Every moment/every day is an investment in the future you whether you like it or not. YOU CAN DO IT

Replies

• drv123
    drv123 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Incredible, great job Jeff. How long did it take to get to this point?
  • WeirdestLoser
    WeirdestLoser Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Amazingly inspiring! Thank you for sharing your journey with us.
  • cookderamus
    cookderamus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to your new health and life!!
  • BD_RD
    BD_RD Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd never been on TikTok before, but I checked yours out, to learn more about your journey. What an insightful guy you are! Hearty congratulations on your success, and thanks for the inspiration.
  • perfetto19
    perfetto19 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love this! I am working hard now to do this, I can't wait for the day I wake up without pain!
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Very well said. And the difference shown in the pics is simply amazing! You have SO got this, Jeff! Great job of taking control of your life! 👏👏👍👍
  • FrankieFan84
    FrankieFan84 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, congrats on your loss
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,082 Member
    Options
    WOOHOO this is FANTASTIC!! I went from 288 to 170. The same way you did, no food is off limit (Portion control though) and exercise. WTG!!! You are doing so well!!! Inspiring!

If you'd like to have more support I am not sure if you've read about the 2023 Summer 5% Challenge? Your exercise (up to 120 mins a day) can help the team you are on,, we also work on and this will help you very likely developing and keeping healthy habits for LIFE. Soon you'll be looking at maintenance which is the hardest part of this. Many of us thankfully are successful thanks to the support we have. If you'd like to check us out (or anyone who's in the process be it the start or ending of your journey we also WELCOME YOU!!

Please click on the link below after you hit JOIN PLEASE sign up under the feed 💺Need a Seat on a Team? Post ONLY Here!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/144897-2023-summer-5-community-team-plz-join-us

Here's the link to the 💺Need a Seat on a Team? Post ONLY Here!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10891482/need-a-seat-on-a-team-post-only-here/p1
  • dgipson1988
    dgipson1988 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Awesome job. I am at the beginning of my weight loss journey and I am enjoying the challenges but it is a slow process. Thank you for the progress pictures and the motivation.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Wow, awesome job Jeff! That is an amazing transformation!

Thanks for sharing and being an inspiration!
  • GrandmasBigTummy
    GrandmasBigTummy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Jeff, I'm just starting, and was wondering -- when you started, did you choose your calories based on 1 pound a week, 1.5 pounds, or 2 pounds? I'm on the fence because I have a lot to lose and I'm already in my 60s, but I also don't want to set myself up to fail.
  • JudyKenova6573
    JudyKenova6573 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know the same thing. It is so inspiring, especially knowing what it's done for that little girl! He'll be around longer for her.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    You look like the lead singer of REM.
  • ChrisMeece
    ChrisMeece Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Jeff, you rock! Before and after pictures are so so important.

My wife and I started back after a 10 month hiatus. We got married last September and my wife is a very good cook. On Monday we started Couch 2 5K and on the off days we are doing Power Nation from Tony Horton.

Pictures like yours keep us inspired.
  • screamingnoodle
    screamingnoodle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Freaking amazing results! Cheering for you!
    Thank you for posting. This is my motivation for the day!

Rock on!
  • Cdewbre1
    Cdewbre1 Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Thanks for posting, Jeff. I have just recently got off the self-loathing train. All those years, all that self-torture. My doctor said ‘diabetes’ and I said, no more. I don’t count calories but I do watch my carbs (strictly for the sugar spikes I have to avoid). I’ve lost 70 pounds in 6 months - so far it’s rarely hard. I get the odd sugar craving, but I have some positive self-talk, or I send myself to take a bath or a walk or go to bed. I started at 350 and I will make my goal next year, because I deserve it :) lol.
  • pbm89gt
    pbm89gt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Amazing! I started out at 342 and I'm on my way I'm down to 297, my goal weight is 200. It's inspiring to hear your story and see the pictures. Thanks for sharing those!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!