WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    As there are a few of us riding bicycles here, I thought I'd post a quick and basic bicycle fit diagram.

You and the bicycle are a machine and in order for the machine to work properly, it needs to be set up properly.

In the first image ... make sure your saddle is high enough that your heel can rest on the pedal at the bottom of the pedal stroke, with a very, very slight bend in your knee. Your leg should not be fully straight with knee locked.

In the second image ... we ride with the ball of our feet on the pedals. By doing the above setup, you will be able to place the ball of your foot on the pedal and pedal comfortably with enough of a bend in your knees to prevent (or reduce) knee issues.

a0umrk2i2vpi.png

If you start doing long rides, you may want to adjust the saddle height with more precision than that. The above suggestion is a decent starting point.

Next, a comment about cadence.

If you're watching the Tour de France, you'll hear that riders are pedalling at over 100 rpm (rotations per minute). Racers do that and a few other people will as well.

Long distance cyclists (like me) tend to prefer a somewhat slower cadence. Mine is about 85 rpm.

In the beginning, your cadence might be fairly slow, and that's OK, but do try to gradually speed up the rotations over time. Ideally, you don't want something slower than about 70 rpm for the sake of your knees. If you find you're pedalling slower than 70 rpm, shift the gears (or make some sort of adjustment to your stationary bicycle) so you can pedal at a faster cadence.

You can count your cadence by looking at the time on your phone or watch and then counting the number of times your right foot goes around in a minute.

A really slow cadence, especially a slow cadence where you're pushing to get the pedals around, can result in Quadriceps tendonitis.

Happy riding!! :)

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,673 Member
    Options
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,382 Member
    Options
    Worked then went to Big Lots hoping their summer things were on sale but they weren’t. But did get one tablecloth for our next pool party. Got this Rice Krispie thing you decorate to take to PJ, some Skittles for Denise, PopTarts for us to take with us for Vince. Plus...I had a $10 off coupon. Then went to Beals Outlet to see if they have any summer things, but all they had was one tablecloth which I wasn’t crazy about. I did get this flamingo ice cube mold for a friend of mine down in FL, she really likes flamingos. Home, got dinner ready and will go in the pool in a few

M – when I first started taking spinning classes, we were told that the seat should be at the same height as your hip.

Heather – your paintings are so lovely! Wish I had 1/10000000 of your talent

The pool is calling….

Michele NC
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,012 Member
    Options
    Barbara- thank you for daily taking the time and commenting on all the posts. I know it has to take a lot of time. I appreciate it. Nice to see the responses.
    THANK YOU
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Heather: Love the heat gun idea. I wonder if this will work?

Machka: I love the second dress as well! It is interesting that your office dresses up. I thought most offices had gone business casual. I don't own a dress or skirt at present. I use to wear them all the time in my thirties and forties.

I am up and about. Plan to have lunch with a friend today and go to the gym. I will see what else the day brings!

Best,
    Rosemarie

I have always liked wearing dresses. Stopped wearing them for a while but have a lot now that I am going to the church I am. Very conservative. Women only wear dresses to church. I think I have seen two women from the whole church ever wear pants to any of the services.
    I like dresses but they have to be comfy. I wear my soft leggings under them instead of slips. Flannel ones during the winter to help stay warm and capri ones under shorter dresses during the rest of the year.
    Have a few dresses I really hope I can fit back into again.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Hello my friends!

My router has been up and down, and now just down. Dad messed with it without supervision. Now there's a technician coming tomorrow morning. I just need to clean up a few cords first.

So no music. No exercise videos. There goes the sister challenge. And my three year Spanish streak in Duolingo is in jeopardy. I'm cranky.

Annie in Delaware

It's really OK, Annie - We love you even when you're cranky. You've done well on the challenge, and you will continue to if you choose to do so. As my sis wants told me (I hate it when she's right! :wink: ) This changes your plan, it didn't change your life. Make a new plan to get where you want to go.

Many hugs,
    Lisa ETC

I love that- I need to print it out and keep in on my desk as a constant reminder.
    Better than my usual, lower my expectations constantly so I am not disappointed all the time.

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Rosemarie--Positive side is was 3 pounds down and not up.
    Lanette--I am enjoying the pictures of your chickens. Please don't stop sharing.
    Heather--Enjoy your paintings. You have a lot of talent.
    Well my foot was better yesterday, swelled again today. I have been wearing support stockings last several days. So glad it is Friday and I have the weekend off. Will sleep in tomorrow and clean house.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    <3
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    2023 Jump Back Up
    Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate friends who are good listeners.

Meditation: daily.16/31 (82%(started Feb)94%,100%, 74%, 93%

Walking and exercising slowed down because of record heat this month. Emotionally and physically feeling better otherwise.

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 8/8–(100%,100%,0%,0%,0%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5989, 6411, 5736,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%,100%, 100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 147/208—(100%,100%,100%,50%, 83%, 100% should be 137 by August 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)63/94 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,(100%,100%,100%,0%,100%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 15/15 (100%,88%,100,100%,100%,100%,93%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 26/12 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 6/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, (100%,100%,100%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Take a small step to help overcome a problem or worry. I am working on helping my son through this tough time by being in contact with his case worker and tracking his location.
    2. Adopt a growth mindset. Change “I can’t” into “I can’t…yet”. I try to never use those words. I follow Yoda’s ‘Do or not, there is no try”
    3. Be willing to ask for help when you need it. I will. My back hurts today so will easily ask for help when I need it.
    4. Find something to look forward to today. Missed posting this yesterday. So today I am looking forward to my therapy session.
    5. Get the basics right: eat well, exercise and go to bed on time. Will do!
    6. Pause, breathe, and feel your feet firmly on the ground. Will meditate today to help me do this.
    7. Shift your mood by doing something you really enjoy. I really need to do this today. Did not do this. Had a bad day all around yesterday.
    8. Avoid saying “must” or “should” to yourself today. I will try.
    9. Put a problem in perspective by seeing the bigger picture. Trying to see my son’s decisions through his eyes.
    10. Reach out to someone you trust and share your feelings with them. I did not do this.
    11. Look for something positive in a difficult situation. My son is bonding with his uncle and grandmother.
    12. Write you worries down and save them for a specific “worry time”. I will try to remember to do this. Write them in my journal.
    13. Challenge negative thoughts. Find an alternative interpretation. I worked on this. I also learned a breathing technique to help.
    14. Get outside and move to help clear your head. I do this every day, but the triple digit heat is preventing it.
    15. Set yourself an achievable goal and take the first step. I have to think about this.
    16. Find fun ways to distract yourself from unhelpful thoughts. Controlled breathing helped here.
    17. Use one of your strengths to overcome a challenge today. I use tenacity often so expect to use it here.
    18. Let go of the small stuff and focus on the things that matter. I will try!
    19. If you can’t change it, change the way you think about it. I need to really remember this!
    20. When things go wrong, pause and be kind to yourself. I will definitely try.
    21. Identify what helped you get through a tough time in your life. Therapy, someone to talk to, long walks alone all help me through tough times, medication as well.
    22. Find 3 things you feel hopeful about and write them down.
    23. Remember that all feelings and situations pass in time.
    24. Choose to see something good about what has gone wrong.
    25. Notice when you are being judge mental and be kind instead.
    26. Catch yourself over-reacting and take a deep breath.
    27. Write down 3 things you are grateful for (even if today was hard).
    28. Think about what you can learn about a recent problem.
    29. Be a realistic optimist. Focus on what could go right.,
    30. Reach out to a friend, family member, or colleague for support.
    31. Remember we all struggle at times. It’s part of being human.
    RVRita in NM
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    Rita good news about your son! And sorry about the kidney infection. Hope it clears up soon!

I got the router fixed this morning, then went to pick up my Dad's new computer. We got it all plugged in, but the monitor isn't getting any signal. So more work to do.

Meanwhile, I need to get back on my bike, and weigh myself for Friday. Ever onward!

Annie in Delaware
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,673 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day -

Walk w/family- 2hrs 19min 58sec, 192elev, 2.63ap, 82ahr, 100mhr, 6.26mi= 614c
    Strava app = 767c
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Ginny your spell sounds scary! Glad you were able to handle it with good sense and avoid falling down. And yes my clothes are looser! I will measure again on Monday, but I know I lost an inch each in my hips and waist. Yay!

I never wear dresses. I like to wear my joggers so I can exercise without changing clothes. But it's getting tougher because I sweat on the bike.

Annie in Delaware