Men Over Fifty Weight Loss

Options
chris_in_cal
chris_in_cal Posts: 2,179 Member
edited July 2023 in Motivation and Support
Men over fifty, join this group Men Over Fifty Weight Loss Group

It is for us showing up, and doing the work!
--

Replies

• Edward_christina
    Edward_christina Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oh cool! You are my peeps. 58 year old guy in Virginia. I’m down 33 from my worst heaviest weight. That was three years ago so I have done well at keeping that off and am working on getting it lower.
    I have hit a plateau , so to keep motivated I’m focusing on setting faster times on my walking. I’m also going to change up my weightlifting from sets of 15 to sets of 10.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    Good, @Edward_christina,

Some folks are coming it....let's get poppin!

Resistance training is my new thing for the 2nd half of the year. I've been avoiding it for too long.

Anyone else coming in? https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/105182-men-over-fifty-weight-loss
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    Jump in, let's get going on a new week, and the new month.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/105182-men-over-fifty-weight-loss
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    This demographic isn't a big majority here....I'm hoping a few of us can band together and build comradery.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    Ladies, what do you think? How do men get motivated to do something? Like join a group and participate?
  • benhmorris63
    benhmorris63 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread! I am 59 years old staring at 60 in a few months and several years back when I started focusing on my health, I topped out at roughly 162 lbs. That may not sound like much, but I am a small guy at 5' 3" and 162 lbs is a lot on my frame. I stay in the mid 120's now which is where my body feels at its best. My healthy diet and exercise routines have come and gone at different times, but I still trend in the right direction. I try to stay fit and keep the fat trimmed. Right now, that's a 30 to 40-minute workout that starts at 4:15 AM 3 or 4 days during the week and about 1.5 hours on Saturday. My wife does a great job at keeping our healthy eating habits on track, but I still enjoy I still enjoy a good glass of wine or tequila when the mood hits. When my habits are good, the exceptions do not bother me and my body pretty much shrugs them off. It's the journey after all that matters!
  • benhmorris63
    Options
    "When your past becomes more exciting that your future, that's the day you start to die." I'm living my best life now!
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    "When your past becomes more exciting that your future, that's the day you start to die." I'm living my best life now!

You look 30 in your profile pic...you're doing something right.
  • benhmorris63
    Options
    Thanks! I get that often. I've been blessed with some good genes. That photo is a couple of years old. My wife and I were on a hike at West Tawakoni Lake in NE Texas.
  • dldew9188
    dldew9188 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting the group! I'm 57, I diet, lose weight just to gain it back. I'm looking to lose 55 lb. My wife also helps me eat healthy and I love exercising, just got my sling off from rotator cuff surgery so looking forward to get back in the gym and start with cardio first. My issue is late night eating, snacking and having a few beers watching sports and eating when I travel for work. Decided this weekend it was time to make some serious changes to help reach my goal. Glad to be part of the group!
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    54 years young here. :)

I'm 5'7" and hit 181lbs end of July. YIKES!

On Aug 01 I quit drinking all forms of alcohol and started to log my calories again.

Today's weight is 175lbs.

Goal weight is 150lbs.

My energy level, sleep and overall mood has increased considerably since giving up drinking. Not to mention alcohol in Canada is about 3x as much as compared to the USA so the savings will be substantial!

I figure I was consuming close to 3500calories / week from Alcohol. Removing that from my diet was stupid simple!

Cheers!

• mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 526 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Just turned 53 a little over a month back.

Can stand to be doing better nutrition wise, but doing pretty good these days at maintaining. I hit 177 last year(actually hit 169 / intense sweaty run, but hydrated back to normal weight). It seems that my body wants to stay between 178-185.
    I’m 6 ft , but folks assume I’m lighter by my appearance. Typically folks think I weigh 10-20 lbs less.

By end of this month will be cutting back(not quitting) on the adult beverages. I may make an attempt to hit 170 and try to add about 10 lbs of muscle.

I think I’m going to suit up. It’s Wednesday and temp is not horrible and I customarily try to do a hump day 10k. Been doing slow long tread sessions to deal with tender ankle. Will see how I feel once I’m actually out the door. Would be happy with a 4 mile run.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    Figured I would bump this. Maybe more men will join the group linked in the original post.
  • dldew9188
    dldew9188 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Good morning gents! Been a bit of struggle in August. Spent the majority of the time traveling, which equals bad eating at dinners, etc.. and little exercise. Got home from CA yesterday and looking forward to getting back on track starting today!
  • theclaw900
    theclaw900 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Is this thread still alive?

I'm 65. Been on and off MFP for years. I'm taking another stab at losing a few lbs.