WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,994 Member
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    KJ-quite a bit of sleuthing on your brother's part! How nice of him to help flea.

Pip and Machka-I used to wear any shoe but no more. Before orthotics I loved my Brooks ghost-they don't work anymore. Currently I am wearing aisics most of the time (several pair in different colors for work with pants). Going to Columbus for a couple of days next month and want to check out a good store.

Kylia-we all get those down times. There is a school of thought that says I don't know what I am thinking until I hear myself say it. Writing can serve the same purpose. Friends listen to each other-even if they don't always comment. Whine away!

Lisa-glad vist went well. They sound well suited. In terms of disability and working-I figure if they are paying their own way, not my issue! Just enjoy time with them and be happy for them.

Lanette-good use of drums money!

Barbie-Bodhi's markings remind my DS and DIL part pit-Gatsby. And actually a bit like my cat Zombu-she was staring me down for some treats!
    ctkbosaw8ym4.jpeg

Not a bad Monday. Went to podiatrist today for nail trim. Had her recheck left foot. She reviewed X-ray from a year or so ago and said it definitely showed arthritis right on top of arch. The hallux rigidus, even with orthotics, throws it all off. Can't give me shot of cortisone in foot because artery is right above when shot needs to go. Ordered a med dose pack for 6 days. If that doesn't knock the inflammation out for a while we will try a different approach involving physical therapy and guided injection of some sort. She did say-keep stretching and walking-movement is best for arthritis. The insert for medicine said since I am an older adult I should take med in the morning if possible so as to not impact sleep.

Realized tomorrow is trash day-off to set it out to curb and get lunch made for tomorrow.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

I'm wearing my favourite Hokas at work today because my feet were hurting a lot yesterday ... the arthritis-affected parts of my feet.

I stretch my feet in the shower each morning, under the hot water. Gently force my big toes to bend.

I also use the ping pong balls and others of Rhody's toys to work on the dexterity of my feet by rolling them under my feet and trying to pick them up with my toes.

Walking barefoot in sand and occasionally walking into cold salt-water is nice too.

M in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,215 Member
    Options
    Barbie: He looks much happier and sprightly in that photo.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Kylia-I don't imagine allergy stuff around here is helping your migraines either. Sitting here sneezing my head off-it is the morning for a pill.

Tracey-it sounds like your get away has been great-just a little escape.

Allie-it's a good thing you have the scooter. Very smart not going ashore if it is a heat warning.

Machka-I had been doing some stretches but added new ones in over the weekend. Will do less today since it is a bit sore from them. Taking first dose of steriods this am at work (timing recommended for us old folks). Also want to give space between thyroid meds. Hopefully this round knocks back inflammation so I can properly rehab.

Rebecca-so good to hear your boys are reconnecting.

Rita-sounds like a scary event at the pond. Glad everyone is safe and you don't hurt more. That ranger sounds like he needs to find new employment.

Resting foot this morning and not walking-will try a bit outside tonight if it is loosened up more-will just keep up with gentle stretches today.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,438 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I did it! I ate under 1100, did thirty minutes on my bike, and an hour of yoga, and thirty minutes of aerobic walking! Yay! I did take it easy on the walking, but that's only sensible after a break. I'm proud of myself again!

Annie in Delaware

Pleased for you, Annie - not sure why it's so hard to re-start a program, but it seems like it is. Perhaps because we know there's a lot of work involved? It's always been harder, to me, to get started after a break than to begin the program in the first place. One day is the beginning of a streak...Well done!

Love,
    Lisa in AR

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,438 Member
    Options
    Ginny - I have arthritis in my feet, and in particular my right foot--and one thing that has helped enormously of late has been wearing shoes all the time again (which you may already do). I found a sort of Crocs knock-off with arch support and without the holes, made of woven fabric, and I wear them only in the house. Also found on Amazon a silicone bunion protector. It separates my big toe and the next one over, and has a gel shield over the outgrowth of the bunion. Mine isn't bad yet, my mother's was twice as bad by this age, but the spacing it's putting between the big toe and the next is really helping the arthritis in that foot. I'm not sure why. They make ones that just separate the toes so they don't push in together, as well. For ten bucks, well worth the price to try.

Allie - At 114 degrees, it is worth staying onboard the ship in the cool air... Sorry you'll miss it, though, and sorry you're struggling to get around without the chair. Hope you do better soon, darlin'.

Tracey - Congrats on the 💯percent streak! You look very relaxed in the pictures... I'm glad you and Rodger are having some quality time together.

More later - the kids are pulling out this morning, taking a few days to look at apartments north of us, up in Bentonville, near the Walmart mothership. Very yuppie (their dad's word) neighborhoods, walking and biking trails, lots of different restaurants for them to try. Just the thought of living in an apartment again makes me twitch. Sharing a wall with other human being is not my idea of a way to live, but I realize not everyone feels that way...

Later y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,956 Member
    Options
    I did it! I ate under 1100, did thirty minutes on my bike, and an hour of yoga, and thirty minutes of aerobic walking! Yay! I did take it easy on the walking, but that's only sensible after a break. I'm proud of myself again!

Annie in Delaware

:) Bravo, success is energizing
    kymarai wrote: »
    Done! I kept Guidepost and reader's digests long with the last 2 woman's day that I hadn't looked at yet. The rest are ready for trash tomorrow. If I haven't read by now I probably won't until they "yell" at me enough. Just a little less stress. Undergarment drawer may be next.....

Kylia

:) Congrats. The longest journey starts with a single step.

<3 Barbie
  • Machka9
    edited August 2023
    Options
    More later - the kids are pulling out this morning, taking a few days to look at apartments north of us, up in Bentonville, near the Walmart mothership. Very yuppie (their dad's word) neighborhoods, walking and biking trails, lots of different restaurants for them to try. Just the thought of living in an apartment again makes me twitch. Sharing a wall with other human being is not my idea of a way to live, but I realize not everyone feels that way...

Later y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa

As long as my husband and I are together, I like staying in a house, but if something happened to him, I'd be looking for an apartment.

I lived in an apartment in Winnipeg for 13 years or so, and liked it.

While I enjoy our garden, without my husband, I could see being happy without a garden. That was one thing I loved about my Winnipeg apartment ... no yardwork of any sort. No shovelling snow, no mowing lawns, nothing! My outdoor time was mostly cycling! And I was cycling a lot!!

M in Oz

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    :)
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • Machka9
    Options
    We have no purchased periodicals coming to our house. No newspapers or magazines.

We do pick up free ones now and then but dispose of most of them quite quickly.

We both look at the news (husband a lot more than me) online ... same with other things like National Geographic and Nature.

Helps keep the clutter down.

But today I "managed my email preferences" for something that was coming into my email about once a week. It should appear only occasionally now. Less to deal with!

M in Oz
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies.

Barbie, Bohdi looks like such a sweet dog. I'm sure he will adjust to the house rules once he feels comfortable. It took our rescued Lucy about a month before she stopped pooping in the livingroom. She was just nervous and not sure what was really happening to her as it was all a new situation for her. She is still very attached to me and doesn't let me out of her site very often. She has turned out to be such a nice dog....and no more pooping in the livingroom!

Had a nice surprise when I was out in my apple trees deciding which one to pick and eat. I walked past my plum trees and spotted a few plums. Six plums in total! I haven't had plums since about 2015. I think it was all because of my new plum tree I purchased this year. I didn't get any off the new tree but it must have cross pollinated with my older tree.

Allie, sorry to hear you are having walking problems. Enjoy seeing your pics. Brings back nice memories of my trip with by granddaughter in that same area a few years ago.

Joy
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,509 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Rebecca rejoicing for you!
    Rita 16 dry days? Bravissima!
    Barbie ((hugs)) house training, while jarring for those of us used to more mature dogs, will happen. Dixie’s years of confinement overcame her natural instinct not to soil her nest. She was also a submissive urinator so we learned that harshly spoken “NO!” did not have the result we wanted :laugh: Love Bodhi’s markings. Hope he soon learns he is safe with you and that “Let’s go!” is a happy outside event. ((hugs))
    Heather thankful my internet was out when I tried to follow the worm-in-brain link. Ugh. Not an image I want in my head.
    Annie, yes! Well done for re-activating your resolutions!
    Lanette you sound very happy about Dr. Matt. Well done good chickie girlies!
    Kim so THAT’s why the chickens crossed the road… :laugh:
    Sue in WA fingers X’s for favorable pulmonologist visit.
    Ginny Zombu’s stare is definitely hypnotic, you are under her power… ;)
    Tracey, you sound surprised at your two more perfect assignments, but we’re not. You’re a “natural”.
    Joy :love: hearing about Lucy’s progress.
    Whoops! Past time to get up, do PT and shower before DDS appointment. Rembering to hope it’s ONLY a little cavity and not the whole bridge…

Today’s (8/29) gratitude: that we don’t have a “smart home.” After last night’s Spectrum outage, only had to reconnect wifi to one device: Maizey the Roomba. Reminds me that those outages are times for extra vigilance as all those cloud-based home security devices would be down. Thankful that Shadow and Tumble are not internet-dependent ;)
    0828/: Move: 2 sets PT w/x&a, line dance class. Steps:8837
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=1 CI<CO net=638
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AF, AD. Library, Dollar Tree, Visit D, Grocery Outlet, Wt:132.9
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer. August: Move more, fuel better (less sugar), live NOW.