WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2023

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    Options
    Did a bit more sorting today. Found a few very expired things in the kitchen cupboards. Cinnamon powder from 2011 anyone? :o Threw out some giant couscous that I have never used, (DH doesn't like it), after I discovered expiry was 2014. I'm sure it's fine, but I'm never going to use it. Now have a few things in the plastic trays I bought, but they are smaller than I thought. My next job will be to tackle the pull out spice rack. Mostly just little empty storage jars, which are far too small for the big packs I buy from Amazon. :#

I am nearing the end of my book, and I'm starting to write about a side of my life I rarely admit to. I haven't got a name for it, as I dislike the word 'spiritual', but it's to do with the transcendent side of life. I am not religious and I am an atheist and humanist, but that side of my life is becoming a bigger and bigger part of me. Maybe by writing about it, I will discover what to call it. Scientific numinosity? :p I'm reading a lot about brain science and the oneness of nature and matter. I love exploring ideas. I have a Philosophy MA, so I've always been an explorer.

Zoom with my girlfriends in 10 minutes. Hoping not to shout at P this week!! :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,371 Member
    Options
    MFP Accountability Post for August 29, 2023

Debbie in CA - not a very good week- scale says I am up a pound- Need to get back walking in the mornings.

Lanette SW WA State – no change on the scale, no change on pants fitting - still OK but could be comfier.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,891 Member
    Options
    Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 15/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 1/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 1/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 3/20

2023- Altruistic August

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate the ability to research on the Internet.

Meditation: daily. 26/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%)

Walking and exercising slowed down because of record heat this month. Had bad asthma attack sending me to ER. Blood pressure very high making me tired.

Rita
    Stop B12
    Switch DHEA to every other day on sept 6
    Kev
    Add folic acid, once a day
    Add magnesium to 3x a day
    Up Berberine to 3x a day

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 7/8–(300%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5418,4157,6745,7029 (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 3/2 —(800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 175/208—(733%) should be 172 by October 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)72/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6 (500%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 20/22 (681%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 31/12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(800%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (800%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Set an intention to be kind to others (and yourself) this month. I plan to be kind to people I meet and to myself. Not just this month but all the time. It may not be every time, but I will try.
    2. Send an uplifting message to someone you can’t be with. I will text my best friend who lives in Michigan, and my friend that lives in NY. Did this
    3. Be kind and supportive to everyone you interact with. I did this!
    4. Ask someone how they feel and really listen to their reply. I plan to try to remember to do this. Done!
    5. Spend time wishing for other people to be happy and well. Will meditate and do this through a loving-kindness meditation.
    6. Smile and be friendly to the people you see today. Will do!
    7. Give time to help a project or cause you care about. I volunteer at Bottomless Lakes State park and also belong to the ‘Friends of’ group and am on the board as secretary. Does this count?
    8. Make some tasty food for someone who will appreciate it. My DH does all the cooking. Perhaps i will look for something KETO to cook. Otherwise, we give food to our co-host often.
    9. Thank someone you’re grateful to and tell them why. I will!
    10. Check in with someone who may be lonely or feeling anxious. Checked in with my son.
    11. Share an encouraging news story to inspire others. Did this at ER when the diagnosis was given.
    12. Contact a friend to let them know you’re thinking of them. Did this yesterday and will do again today.
    13. No plans day! Be kind to yourself so you can be kind to others too. I need the rest!
    14. Take an actions to be kind to nature and care for our planet. Will do! Need to de-stress!
    15. If someone annoys you, be kind. Imagine how they may be feeling. I will try to put myself in the other person’s shoes. Did this again last night with a camper.
    16. Make a thoughtful gift as a surprise for someone. Will have to think about this! Did not do this. :(
    17. Be kind online. Share positive and supportive comments. Will do!
    18. Today, do something to make life easier for someone else. I did try to accommodate a camper.
    19. Be thankful for your food and the people who make it possible. I am.
    20. Look for the good in everyone you meet today. Sometimes that is hard but I am getting better at it. Maybe not right away but after I thought about the person’s reactions and what could cause it.
    21. Donate unused items, clothes, or food to help a local charity. I will have to think on this. Not planning on going to town today. Did not do this.
    22. Give people the gift of your full attention. I will try.
    23. Share an article, book, or podcast you find helpful. I do when I find something useful.
    24. Forgive someone who hurt you in the past. This one is hard. I will try to forgive my father.
    25. Give your time, energy, or attention to someone in need. Easy! I did that yesterday giving someone a campsite who didn’t know how to use the electronic means to reserve a site.
    26. Find a way to ‘pay it forward’ or support a good cause. I subscribed to a foundation newsletter.
    27. Notice when someone is down and try to brighten his day. (My DH’s birthday. He always gets depressed on this day. Worse this year as he turns 70 today). I’m going to try to brighten DH’s day.
    28. Have a friendly chat with someone you don’t know very well. I do this all the time with campers!
    29. Do something kind to help in your local community.
    30. Give away something to those who don’t have as much as you.
    31. Share Action for Happiness with other people today.

RVRita in Roswell, NM

The best predictor of the future or future behavior is the past. If until this point the relationships, hobby, friendship, job, etc. has not served you in any positive regard, it likely won't in the future.
    — YALDA SAFAI, MD, MPH
    A Word From Verywell
    Sunk cost fallacy can be tricky to wrap your head around, and it’s not without nuance. For more clarity in these complex decision-making moments, completely disregard how much you’ve already invested so that it doesn’t hold influence. Then, look at the facts.

Are you satisfied? Have you repeatedly been met with dead ends? Is there still potential for a positive outcome if you continue investing your resources and energy? What are the benefits of walking away and opening a new door? These are the factors that should influence your decision rather than any previously sunk costs.

“What can words do to me unless I take them to heart?”

RVRita in Roswell, NM
  • daria0919
    daria0919 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Daria - book mark us and on the 31 of august Barbie will post the Sept. thread. and you can come over with us. this is a busy forum and it is not unusual for there to be many pages per day! come when you can, comment on what you want to. and enjoy. Many of us check in every day, some multiple times a day.

Kim in N. California

Thank you Kim - very helpful 😀😀
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    Lisa I thought about pool noodles, but am thinking they are not enough - he'd step over them and not even notice.... But my bed is a platform style- but the mattress drops into the box that is the platform... and in looking at how the bed "rails" attach I am not sure they would fit into the box with the mattress.

I am now wondering if pool noodles are the answer and just duct tape 3 together to make a triangle shaped bumper..... they are at our Dollar store 2 for $1.25 A cheap try!

smiles Kim
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,891 Member
    Options
    daria0919 wrote: »
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) My biggest take away from all that I've heard and read about minimalism is about intentional living. I shopped and acquired stuff for years with no real plan. That led to the need to sort, organize, and discard. I acquired hobbies and activities because other people said they were good things to do until I my days were overrun with stuff to do. Today it is important to me to know what I have and where it is, to use my time with people and activities that are important to me and say no to the ones that aren't. I have things that are important to me and do things that are important.

"The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials."---Lin Yutang

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Thanks @barbiecat for this post and for your discussion group. I’m new to this MFP community stuff. I like the idea of your group and the posts I see here. Does this just continue each month? I just found this a few days ago and would like to continue with this group into September. Thanks

Daria, East Coast

Yes, this continues each month. Barbie will post a link to the new thread on the last day of the month. She usually posts it about mid-day to accommodate everyone all over the world! Just go to the new link and bookmark. Hope to see you there!

RVRita
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Got through the Zoom without shouting! :D P was a bit tearful because the BIL and the crazy wife are selling up and leaving their little expat community in France. She thinks it is their last summer.
    I had put on my serenity bracelet beforehand, and fingered it most of the time. It was a great help.

We have agreed with DDIL to do our normal pick up of Bea next Tuesday. It was a cricket day, but DH doesn't want to go every day. It's a long journey. Starts on Sunday for four days. We have agreed to have Max on Thursday next week . His school always starts later.
    I am still waiting for an invitation to see the house, but I guess we will see it on Tuesday when we pick up Bea. ;):o Unless she wants us to bring her back here as we have done since the move. ;)
    Must ask. I still have the key, but I don't know if they've changed the locks!

I still haven't done the framing for my son's painting. Tomorrow!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Worked then went to the church to count the donations. Cloudy so I’ll go for a walk in a few and then maybe pull some weeds in the backyard. We’re going to put these blocks around the outside fence for the pool and I need to get rid of some of the weeds first.

Sue – jigsaw puzzles CAN be addicting. I get addicted to them, then have to give myself a break, and then I go back to them. Good luck at the MD

Anne DE – wonderful! Love how you get back in the saddle

Kylia – Happy Anniversary

Kim – you might also want to check into stairs for Levi so he can get up on the bed.

Vicki – maybe it was a blessing in disguise that that person didn’t show. If they won’t even call to say they won’t be at the appt. they made, what kind of employee will they be??

Daria – at the end of the month, Barbie will post a link to a new thread for the next month. We’re so glad to have you

Rita – I’m not sure they’ll do both eyes at the same time. I know when Vince had his done, they did one and then 2 weeks later the other one.

Kim – wouldn’t you have to somehow anchor the “rail” to under the mattress so that they don’t fall off the bed? Something like this (only longer)
    pg 71https://www.amazon.com/Vive-Compact-Bed-Rail-Silver/dp/B07NWWWKNJ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=SWGIPQZ6OSLS&amp;keywords=bed+rails+for+elderly+adults&amp;qid=1693333

See how it has the thing under the mattress to hold it in place?

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options