If You Drink DIET SODAS Then YOU Need to Read This.

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    What I meant by one sided, is some people only believe research put out by our government. That this information is the truth and that's it. There's a lot more information out there that's to the contrary. Is it the truth? Who knows? I think people have a right to an opinion. Read everything. Make a decision for yourself! Everything isn't a yes or no answer. Or a right or wrong. I wouldn't quote any articles, because surely they would be criticized.

And yes, I think a man-made chemical that tastes like sugar, but has no calories, made into an ingestable form are probably not good for you. Maybe I'm wrong. But everyone who thinks otherwise, have at it!

What do you mean by "research put out by our governemnt"?

Where is this contrary evidence? Presumably you're talking about research that shows aspartame is dangerous or harmful? Can you link us to some of this research please?

BTW, aspartame is digestible. It's fully and quickly digested into a pair of amino acids and, sometimes, a molecule of methanol.

Aspartame is not actually calorie-free. Since it is made of a pair of amino acids, it has about 4 calories per gram, just like protein (which is also made of amino acids) and sugar itself. The reason a product like Diet Coke has "0 calories" on the label is that a can only has about 0.1 grams of aspartame. That's about 0.4 calories worth of sweetener. That's also why Coke Zero advertises "zero calories" (sucralose really does have no calories) and Diet Coke doesn't. Aspartame is so much sweeter-tasting than sugar that you need a tiny fraction of the amount to get a similar sweetness.

(ETA: just FYI, this is what a post based on knowledge and fact looks like. Contrast this with your "it's a chemical and I just know it's bad for you because I just know!")

I encourage everyone to do their own research and make their own decision. There's plenty of info out there. Read it! Make your own choice!

Is that so bad?

A couple of posts back, you said you wouldn't cite research you have that supports your side because it would be criticized-- sorry but, that is the point of any scientific research, to stand up to scrutiny. If you do not think the research you have can stand up to criticism and questioning, you should really re-examine your position and your "evidence". If your research is credible, then it doesn't matter how much people mock it because in the end, it has evidence to back up the claims made.

search "aspartame dangers" or "artificial sugar dangers". Plenty to read.

Yeah, and none of it is research. If you have evidence in the form of research, post it. There's "a lot to read" about how the government was really behind 9/11 and no plane crashed into the Pentagon.

Reality is that you and I - and pretty much everyone else in the thread - knows you can't point to any research that supports your claim that aspartame is dangerous.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    90p0n8.jpg

NdGT is literally my hero.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You know, when someone tries to be helpful, there is no need for the rudeness. Really.

Thats what I was thinking! I agree that its not the healthiest thing to consume, specially all the time. .But I think he was truly tring to be helpfull.

Yeah, he was probably trying to be helpful but spreading rumours and made up stories isn't helpful designed as scare tactics isn't helpful. People need to do a little critical thinking before they post and repost this kind of misinformation. Facebook is far worse for it.
  • earthymom
    earthymom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    What I meant by one sided, is some people only believe research put out by our government. That this information is the truth and that's it. There's a lot more information out there that's to the contrary. Is it the truth? Who knows? I think people have a right to an opinion. Read everything. Make a decision for yourself! Everything isn't a yes or no answer. Or a right or wrong. I wouldn't quote any articles, because surely they would be criticized.

And yes, I think a man-made chemical that tastes like sugar, but has no calories, made into an ingestable form are probably not good for you. Maybe I'm wrong. But everyone who thinks otherwise, have at it!

Where is this contrary evidence? Presumably you're talking about research that shows aspartame is dangerous or harmful? Can you link us to some of this research please?

BTW, aspartame is digestible. It's fully and quickly digested into a pair of amino acids and, sometimes, a molecule of methanol.

Aspartame is not actually calorie-free. Since it is made of a pair of amino acids, it has about 4 calories per gram, just like protein (which is also made of amino acids) and sugar itself. The reason a product like Diet Coke has "0 calories" on the label is that a can only has about 0.1 grams of aspartame. That's about 0.4 calories worth of sweetener. That's also why Coke Zero advertises "zero calories" (sucralose really does have no calories) and Diet Coke doesn't. Aspartame is so much sweeter-tasting than sugar that you need a tiny fraction of the amount to get a similar sweetness.

(ETA: just FYI, this is what a post based on knowledge and fact looks like. Contrast this with your "it's a chemical and I just know it's bad for you because I just know!")

I encourage everyone to do their own research and make their own decision. There's plenty of info out there. Read it! Make your own choice!

Is that so bad?

A couple of posts back, you said you wouldn't cite research you have that supports your side because it would be criticized-- sorry but, that is the point of any scientific research, to stand up to scrutiny. If you do not think the research you have can stand up to criticism and questioning, you should really re-examine your position and your "evidence". If your research is credible, then it doesn't matter how much people mock it because in the end, it has evidence to back up the claims made.

Yeah, and none of it is research. If you have evidence in the form of research, post it. There's "a lot to read" about how the government was really behind 9/11 and no plane crashed into the Pentagon.

Reality is that you and I - and pretty much everyone else in the thread - knows you can't point to any research that supports your claim that aspartame is dangerous.

The reality is that I'm not out to try to prove anyone wrong and you are. I have stated my opinion and encourage people to do the same and make their own choices.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    The reality is that I'm not out to try to prove anyone wrong and you are. I have stated my opinion and encourage people to do the same and make their own choices.

And I am here to make sure that people understand your opinion is based on emotion and anti-science, and that the entire body of scientific evidence on this topic (which is considerable indeed) is essentially unanimous.

You are entitled to your own opinion. You are not, however, entitled to your own facts.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Oh I wanted to read the whole thread, but I have to study now, so I will read this later and hopefully have a snarky comment by then.
  • It's true that diet sodas are worse for you than regular sodas but this story just doesn't work haha
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    WARNING 100% of people who ingest aspartame are eventually going to die!!
  • earthymom
    Options

And I am here to make sure that people understand your opinion is based on emotion and anti-science, and that the entire body of scientific evidence on this topic (which is considerable indeed) is essentially unanimous.

You are entitled to your own opinion. You are not, however, entitled to your own facts.

And I'm sure someone, somewhere thanks you for that. Goodnight jonnythan and all other MFP community folks!
  • jonnythan
    Options

And I'm sure someone, somewhere thanks you for that. Goodnight jonnythan.

People literally thank me every day for it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Thank you Jonnythan for directing people towards studies versus blogs, beauty magazines and various other fear mongering sites that resort to CAPS speech and passive aggressive insults rather than studies.
  • genellenellie
    Options
    There is so much crap in a lot of things we eat and this crap causes SO MANY health issues. I recently read a book called "Wheat Belly". Its a real eye opener as far as how wheat has been genetically altered over the years and one of the MANY things it causes is for your appetite to be out of control. Along with wheat/flour/gluten it causes IBS, allergies, diabetes, joint pain, skin issues, intestinal problems, acid reflux, high blood pressure, etc......... I highly recommend this book. Try going wheat/gluten free for a month and see how you feel.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    :smooched:

Thank you Jonnythan for directing people towards studies versus blogs, beauty magazines and various other fear mongering sites that resort to CAPS speech and passive aggressive insults rather than studies.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    There is so much crap in a lot of things we eat and this crap causes SO MANY health issues. I recently read a book called "Wheat Belly". Its a real eye opener as far as how wheat has been genetically altered over the years and one of the MANY things it causes is for your appetite to be out of control. Along with wheat/flour/gluten it causes IBS, allergies, diabetes, joint pain, skin issues, intestinal problems, acid reflux, high blood pressure, etc......... I highly recommend this book. Try going wheat/gluten free for a month and see how you feel.

Effing wheat belly. That book ranks somewhere around Twilight on the "books I wish had never been written" scale.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options

Is that so bad?

That is not what I asked. I asked for the specific study YOU looked at and said you wouldn't quote because it might be mocked. I want to read the exact same study you did. I want to see the sources and check their credibility for myself. I have done my own research and have even put one of the sources I cited up earlier in this post, so clearly, you can do the same.
  • genellenellie
    Options
    Why would you say wheat belly is ranked in twilight? Research has been done by this doctor and I can say personally along with other friends and family members....getting rid of wheat works! I have so much more energy and my joints do not ache and I have also lost 10lbs in 4weeks!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Why would you say wheat belly is ranked in twilight? Research has been done by this doctor and I can say personally along with other friends and family members....getting rid of wheat works! I have so much more energy and my joints do not ache and I have also lost 10lbs in 4weeks!

Were you eating at a deficit...or did you eat the same amount just minus the wheat/gluten stuff?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Effing wheat belly. That book ranks somewhere around Twilight on the "books I wish had never been written" scale.

Seriously. It's Wheat Belly by a nose to grant this thread the status of 'most wrong info I've ever seen in one place'!

Its like I can feel all of science crying.
  • earthymom
    Options

It's so sad that people are so rude here. I think gluten and highly processed foods cause people a lot of problems. Good luck to you!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Were you eating at a deficit...or did you eat the same amount just minus the wheat/gluten stuff?

I would also like to add how many carbs were consumed. A big drop in carbs = glycogen depletion which results in dropping water weight, easily up to 10 lbs depending.
This discussion has been closed.