If You Drink DIET SODAS Then YOU Need to Read This.

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    There is so much crap in a lot of things we eat and this crap causes SO MANY health issues. I recently read a book called "Wheat Belly". Its a real eye opener as far as how wheat has been genetically altered over the years and one of the MANY things it causes is for your appetite to be out of control. Along with wheat/flour/gluten it causes IBS, allergies, diabetes, joint pain, skin issues, intestinal problems, acid reflux, high blood pressure, etc......... I highly recommend this book. Try going wheat/gluten free for a month and see how you feel.

Effing wheat belly. That book ranks somewhere around Twilight on the "books I wish had never been written" scale.

It's so sad that people are so rude here. I think gluten and highly processed foods cause people a lot of problems. Good luck to you!

What does gluten have to do with processed food? Gluten is a natural protein found in wheat. Gluten is as natural as natural gets.

YES...it is natural but they genetically altered it over the years and our bodies can't handle it. This all started about 30 or so years ago and look at the obesity rate since then! Diabetes has sky rocketed! All cause of the so called "whole grain wheat is good for you". Take a look at your ancestors pictures and there is pretty much NO one overweight!
    :noway:
    LOLWUT?!

zDcF7.gif
  • genellenellie
    Options
    6% of the 7 billion people on earth have a gluten sensitivity. They all seem to be on MFP

Its much more then that....people don't realize it. Extensive studies have not been done yet.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    There is so much crap in a lot of things we eat and this crap causes SO MANY health issues. I recently read a book called "Wheat Belly". Its a real eye opener as far as how wheat has been genetically altered over the years and one of the MANY things it causes is for your appetite to be out of control. Along with wheat/flour/gluten it causes IBS, allergies, diabetes, joint pain, skin issues, intestinal problems, acid reflux, high blood pressure, etc......... I highly recommend this book. Try going wheat/gluten free for a month and see how you feel.

Effing wheat belly. That book ranks somewhere around Twilight on the "books I wish had never been written" scale.

It's so sad that people are so rude here. I think gluten and highly processed foods cause people a lot of problems. Good luck to you!

I think lots of things, doesn't make them true or worth sharing.

I TOTALLY AGREE! There is no need to be rude and there is a lot of people that benefit from this and a lot of people don't know. So if I can help one person with a health issue its worth posting.

I sincerely hope people with legitimate health issues are consulting doctors and not just deciding based on someone's internet testimonial (an evidence devoid testimony at that) or a for profit book.

I have nothing to do with in profiting on this book. I am just interested concerned reader that happened to have this book recommend by a family member. AND...yes, always talk with your doctor, but eating all natural, unprocessed food is not bad for you.

Unless it's wheat.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    [quotancestors ]

What does gluten have to do with processed food? Gluten is a natural protein found in wheat. Gluten is as natural as natural gets.
    [/quote]

YES...it is natural but they genetically altered it over the years and our bodies can't handle it. This all started about 30 or so years ago and look at the obesity rate since then! Diabetes has sky rocketed! All cause of the so called "whole grain wheat is good for you". Take a look at your ancestors pictures and there is pretty much NO one overweight!
    [/quote]

Gluten today is the same molecule it was a million years ago.

Many ancestors were overweight. Most were not because food was not as plentifuland cheap as it is today . Look at all the rich fat people in history that were fat, had gout, etc.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Oh my.... This thread went everywhere and at this rate, it might roll......

Cheers to science.....not blogs.....not facebook....not crap books....but science.
  • genellenellie
    Options

I TOTALLY AGREE! There is no need to be rude and there is a lot of people that benefit from this and a lot of people don't know. So if I can help one person with a health issue its worth posting.

I sincerely hope people with legitimate health issues are consulting doctors and not just deciding based on someone's internet testimonial (an evidence devoid testimony at that) or a for profit book.

I have nothing to do with in profiting on this book. I am just interested concerned reader that happened to have this book recommend by a family member. AND...yes, always talk with your doctor, but eating all natural, unprocessed food is not bad for you.

Unless it's wheat.

Exactly, because it is genetically altered! Its not natural anymore because added a bunch of crap to the crop. They have made up there own version and its no longer what it use to be.....natural. Have you read the book?
  • jonnythan
    Options

Unless it's wheat.

Exactly, because it is genetically altered! Its not natural anymore because added a bunch of crap to the crop. They have made up there own version and its no longer what it use to be.....natural. Have you read the book?

You have literally no idea what you're talking about at all. You're digging the hole deeper with each post and it's best if you just walk away.
  • genellenellie
    Options
    [quotancestors ]

[/quote]

Many ancestors were overweight. Most were not because food was not as plentifuland cheap as it is today . Look at all the rich fat people in history that were fat, had gout, etc.
    [/quote]

Have you read the book? It explains this in detail as to why. Again, I'm not promoting this book, but it is an eye opener. It breaks done everything. 2 pieces of wheat bread raises your insulin levels more then eating a snickers bar. Not saying a snickers is good for you, but it is just a comparison.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I don't drink and "soda" on a regular basis (as in less than once a month) and certainly filtered water is the healthiest thing to drink. I don't believe in this crazy article, either. It has been around for ages, paranoia about stuff like this is what causes people to be seriously deluded. There are so many more things to worry about in the world.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Have you read the book? It explains this in detail as to why. Again, I'm not promoting this book, but it is an eye opener. It breaks done everything. 2 pieces of wheat bread raises your insulin levels more then eating a snickers bar. Not saying a snickers is good for you, but it is just a comparison.

So what if it raises insulin? It's food, that's what food does.

Look. You either misunderstood the book or, more likely, it's full of alarmist nonsense designed to scare and confuse you. The things you are saying are completely wrong and nonsensical.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    6% of the 7 billion people on earth have a gluten sensitivity. They all seem to be on MFP

Its much more then that....people don't realize it. Extensive studies have not been done yet.

WHAT?!

http://www.celiaccenter.org/documents/publications/Natural History of Celiac Disease Autoimmunity in a USA cohort followed since 1974, Annals of Medicine, September 2010.pdf

That's a study that ranges from 1974 -2010

http://www.celiaccenter.org/publications.asp
  • genellenellie
    Options

Unless it's wheat.

You have literally no idea what you're talking about at all. You're digging the hole deeper with each post and it's best if you just walk away.

You need to read the book which is wrote by a Doctor. What I am quoting is from this. It has helped me and if I can help someone else...great. Obviously, you don't think you need this so I will walk away from this post. Wow....Only trying to help because it has me and others.
  • Achrya
    Options

Unless it's wheat.

Sadly yes. I read all the books and watch all the movies users here discuss.

I'm not a better person for those endeavors.
  • magerum
    Options

Look. You either misunderstood the book or, more likely, it's full of alarmist nonsense designed to scare and confuse you. The things you are saying are completely wrong and nonsensical.

^. This. Step away from the keyboard.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    A KILLER IN YOUR FRIDGE... devil

SWEET POISON..A MUST READ !!! indifferent

This is where I stopped reading.

Au contrer mon frer. This is when the thread became win for me. And it's still delivering.:laugh:
  • Achrya
    Options

It's the latter. So much scare mongering alarmism. So. Much.
  • genellenellie
    Options

Whatever....it has helped me and family members. Just trying to help someone else. Maybe I am misinterpreting, but if it helps someone else...great.
  • magerum
    Options

When Wheat Belly, by William Davis, M.D., came out in August 2011, it was an instant hit. It became a New York Times bestseller. Praise far outweighed criticism. Especially in the gluten-free community, it enjoyed rave reviews. The book was received essentially as gospel. Why?

In my opinion, there are three main reasons:

It's written by an M.D., which adds a patina of credibility to the book's claims,
    It's filled with endnotes of citations that reference scientific peer-reviewed publications, and
    Its message—to "lose the wheat, lose the weight, and find your path back to health"—already agrees with the world view of many in the GF community (that wheat and gluten equals bad).
    But as you'll see, those three factors are dangerous. They build a facade of trust and credibility. They cause us to let down our guard; to cease being the critically-thinking readers that we ought to be. And sometimes, that means we fail to question information that is suspect; we unknowingly accept and perpetuate a myth; we fall victim to false information.

I didn't set out to write a review of Wheat Belly. I had been heavily researching another unrelated project. Coincidental timing then played a key role. After reading a number of prominent medical studies involving wheat, gluten, weight loss, and celiac disease, I found myself reading Wheat Belly, in which Davis cites some of those exact same studies.

Except that there was one major problem: Davis' claims—and his conclusions based on the research studies he cites—were exactly the opposite of what I'd been reading in those very studies. Here are several important examples:

Consider Chapter 3, Wheat Deconstructed, page 36 of the hardcover edition. Davis writes "if we look only at overweight people who are not severely malnourished at the time of diagnosis who remove wheat from their diet, it becomes clear that this enables them to lose a substantial amount of weight." He supposedly backs up this claim in the very next sentence by continuing, "A Mayo Clinic/University of Iowa study of 215 obese celiac patients showed 27.5 pounds of weight loss in the first six months of a wheat-free diet." Sounds pretty impressive and compelling ... until you realize he's wrong.

First of all, the study didn't examine 215 obese patients. Body Mass Index for study participants ranged from underweight to normal to overweight to obese. Secondly, only 25 of those 215 patients lost weight, and the weight loss was not restricted to the obese subset of participants. (Further, 91 of the 215 patients gained weight, but I'll return to the issue of weight gain among obese celiacs in a moment.) You can read the full text of the study as reported in the original American Journal of Clinical Nutrition article here.

Next consider Chapter 5, The Wheat/Obesity Connection, page 66 of the hardcover edition. Here Davis invokes a study reported in the American Journal of Gastroenterology. He claims that of newly diagnosed celiac disease patients, 39 percent start overweight and 13 percent start obese. Next Davis writes that "by this estimate, more than half the people now diagnosed with celiac disease are therefore overweight or obese."

Not quite. Actually, the study noted that overweight and obese patients together accounted for 39 percent of diagnoses. The 13 percent obese patients were a subset of the overweight group. By Davis' questionable math, underweight, normal weight, overweight, and obese celiac disease patients would account for 114% of diagnoses, which is impossible.

At the start of the very next paragraph, he invokes a familiar line nearly identical to that from Chapter 3: "If we focus only on overweight people who are not severely malnourished at the time of diagnosis, celiac sufferers actually lose a substantial quantity of weight when they eliminate wheat gluten."

I call B.S. You know that study Davis just cited in the previous paragraph of his book to build his case? The same study from which he errantly claimed more than half of newly diagnosed celiacs are overweight? Here is what researchers actually found, and I quote directly: "Of patients compliant with a gluten-free diet, 81 percent had gained weight after 2 years, including 82% of initially overweight patients" (emphasis mine).

This finding is not buried deep in the report somewhere. It's important enough that researchers also call it out directly in the top-level abstract. When Davis claims that initially overweight celiac disease patients lose a significant amount of weight on a gluten-free diet, how does he explain the fact that 82% of those patients gained weight ... in one of the very studies he uses to back up his questionable claim?

To me this appears to be more than an innocent, but careless, oversight; it is more than a case of blissful ignorance. Those results are front and center in the study, and they directly contradict his claim. It would take an act of willful omission to leave it out; it's audacious that he cites the study to bolster his claim.

For a third and final example, consider Chapter 4, The Addictive Properties of Wheat, page 50 of the hardcover edition. Here, Davis writes about gluten exorphins, opiate-like compounds created when stomach enzymes take a crack at partially digesting gluten. Researchers are continuing to study how they impact the human body in myriad ways. One branch of such studies uses the drug naloxone, an opiate blocker, to cancel the potential effect of gluten exorphins and other related compounds.

Davis makes the claim that gluten exorphins are addictive like morphine (another opiate), and that those addictive properties cause you to eat more calories and gain weight. As the theory goes, block the gluten exorphins with naloxone, and you block the addictive properties of wheat-based foods. To back up his boast, he then cites a study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, in which binge eaters were left in a room filled with a variety of foods for one hour. Davis writes "participants consumed 28 percent less wheat crackers, bread sticks, and pretzels with the administration of naloxone." And there you have it! See? Naloxone blocked the evil action of gluten exorphins, and those binge eaters ate fewer calories as a result! Except that's not what happened.

Here's the truth: While naloxone appeared to have an impact on the consumption of high fat and high sugar foods, it had no effect that correlated with gluten. In fact, while Davis claims that participants consumed 28 percent fewer wheat crackers, bread sticks, and pretzels, they actually consumed 40 percent more gluten-containing bread sticks.

The three examples I've noted are hardly the sum total of the problems I found with the book. There are many others, though I've already made my point.

Those of us in the gluten-free community want to agree with Wheat Belly because Davis' message resonates with us. But it's an overly simplified message, at times built on tenuous claims. And how would we ever know? He's an M.D. He's the expert, right? And he cites all those sexy research studies.

If I had read this book at another time in my life, I likely would have been none the wiser. I would have read the book, peeked at the citations, and been satisfied. But perhaps serendipity of a certain sort is at work here ... that I read this book at precisely that moment in my life when I was best equipped with the knowledge I needed to critically evaluate it. I now pass that evaluation along to you.

For certain, some of what Davis writes is valid. And I have some GF blogging colleagues/friends who know Davis personally. They say he's a very nice man, which may indeed be true.

But I'm more than disappointed with Davis and Wheat Belly; I'm downright angry. This book can and should be better. We, the gluten-free community, deserve as much. It does an injustice to the very legitimate case against wheat and gluten, and it is insulting to us, the readers. Sadly, Wheat Belly looks polished from a distance, but upon closer inspection it goes belly up. Sections of the book amount to propaganda, fallacies, and unsubstantiated claims. For me, Wheat Belly is a bust.

Are wheat and gluten a health problem? For many of us, undoubtedly. But there's much more to the story than meets the eye, and you're not always getting the straight story in Wheat Belly.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Unless it's wheat.

You need to read the book which is wrote by a Doctor. What I am quoting is from this. It has helped me and if I can help someone else...great. Obviously, you don't think you need this so I will walk away from this post. Wow....Only trying to help because it has me and others.

http://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.com/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html

As much as I hate blog posts, this is a good summary of why this book is bs (and its from a gluten free blog, so its someone who should be friendly to the cause)

That book seems legit, it quotes a lot of studies, has references, is written by a doctor, but is wholly misleading. The studies quoted do not say what the book would have you believe.

eta: mag, you beat me to it
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    The reality is that I'm not out to try to prove anyone wrong and you are. I have stated my opinion and encourage people to do the same and make their own choices.

And I am here to make sure that people understand your opinion is based on emotion and anti-science, and that the entire body of scientific evidence on this topic (which is considerable indeed) is essentially unanimous.

You are entitled to your own opinion. You are not, however, entitled to your own facts.

And I'm sure someone, somewhere thanks you for that. Goodnight jonnythan.

People literally thank me every day for it.

Thank you Jonnythan for directing people towards studies versus blogs, beauty magazines and various other fear mongering sites that resort to CAPS speech and passive aggressive insults rather than studies.

^^^ All of this. Thank you Jonnythan. Your patience in here has been commendable.
This discussion has been closed.