If You Drink DIET SODAS Then YOU Need to Read This.

Options

Replies

• AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Its funny how people get so outraged when you try to warn them about diet soda. A woman died because of drinking too much soda that's a fact. I'm not saying don't drink it but anything artificial or fake is not good for you. People should be leaning towards eating healthy foods not chemically processed foods. Diseases have skyrocketed in the last 30 years because of all the junk we eat, that's a fact. You don't have to drink just water but diet soda isn't that great to drink either and there are warnings on packages of NutraSweet ever took a look at it?

To the bolded … yep, all the time.

"Warning, phenylketonureics, contains phenylalenine" (ok, my spelling is probably off).

Phenylalenine (how ever it's spelled :blushing:) is an amino acid. For those who haven't had biology, that's a building block of proteins. Phenylketonuresis (PKU) is a metabolic disorder that prevents the individual from breaking down that specific amino acid. There is a blood test done now, at birth and again at two weeks, to rule out PKU and other metabolic disorders. There's no cure, the best thing they can do is avoid that specific amino acid. Since it occurs NATURALLY in foods, they have to be kind of picky about what they eat, and the warning labels on Nutra Sweet and other foods containing aspartame let them know it's not a good choice for them. If they get too much, they develop dangerous ketones that cause brain damage and even death.

Don't have PKU? Then the warning doesn't apply. And if you had it, I'm pretty sure you'd know by now.

My god, I think that was the most thorough putting into place I've ever seen. Well done, and well said!
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'll just leave this here..
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

Stop posting stupid.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'll just leave this here..
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

Stop posting stupid.

Snopes= helping people avoid looking like idiots since 1995. Too bad no one remembers to use it.
  • MrSeriousguy
    Options
    We Breathe worse in traffic...
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Here's your sign ...
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My point was only that DOCTORS are saying this.

I don't drink the crap. So, I really could care less.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The doctors are chalking it up to the aspartame in the three 2 liter bottles of diet Coke that she used to drink per day.

BS.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I'm skeptical.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize the aspartame patent expired now everyone is on the action!

http://thenaturaladvocate.blogspot.ca/2011/04/another-reason-not-to-trust-snopes.html
  • rml_16
    Options
    I know people don't trust the FDA, but The Alzheimer's Association seems to be OK with this:
    Myth 5: Aspartame causes memory loss.

Reality: This artificial sweetener, marketed under such brand names as Nutrasweet and Equal, was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use in all foods and beverages in 1996. Since approval, concerns about aspartame's health effects have been raised.

According to the FDA, as of May 2006, the agency had not been presented with any scientific evidence that would lead to change its conclusions on the safety of aspartame for most people. The agency says its conclusions are based on more than 100 laboratory and clinical studies. Read the May 2006 FDA statement about aspartame.

http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_myths_about_alzheimers.asp
    Myth: Aspartame causes memory loss.

Reality: Aspartame's role in memory loss is a health concern that has been associated with artificial sweeteners. Several studies have been conducted on aspartame's effect on cognitive function in both animals and humans. These studies found no scientific evidence of a link between aspartame and memory loss. Aspartame was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1996 for use in all foods and beverages. The sweetener, marketed as Nutrasweet® and Equal®, is made by joining two protein components, aspartic acid and phenylalanine, with 10 percent methanol. Methanol is widely found in fruits, vegetables, and other plant foods.

http://www.alznyc.org/aboutalz/myths.asp
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmmm.... nummmmyyyy... diet coke.... must....have....one....now...
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize the aspartame patent expired now everyone is on the action!

http://thenaturaladvocate.blogspot.ca/2011/04/another-reason-not-to-trust-snopes.html

I'm just curious where we draw the line for paranoia. The peer review process routinely comes under attack for letting crap research through.
  • nena49659
    Options

I'm skeptical.

I'm sorry. You're skeptical about what? That the doctors told him this? Or, that aspartame causes memory loss. Based on your reply a few posts down, I do hope that it's the latter.
  • rml_16
    Options

I'm skeptical.

I'm sorry. You're skeptical about what? That the doctors told him this? Or, that aspartame causes memory loss. Based on your reply a few posts down, I do hope that it's the latter.
    Both.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I'm skeptical.

No doctor would say that. There's absolutely zero evidence that aspartame could cause such an issue, and for a physician, let alone multiple phsyicians, to say that it did is absurd. There's just no way. If that's what you think they said, they're either quacks or you misunderstood.
  • nena49659
    Options

I'm skeptical.

Both.

Oh my. Then, based on your expert opinion, I must run right out and find my friend and tell him that he's a liar.

People's ego on this site really are quite outrageous.
  • rml_16
    Options

I'm skeptical.

Both.

Oh my. Then, based on your expert opinion, I must run right out and find my friend and tell him that he's a liar.

People's ego on this site really are quite outrageous.
    If what he says happened actually happened, your friend's father needs new doctors pronto.
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    But it must be true - look how many !!!!!s they used.

Ugh. Check first.

:grumble:
  • jonnythan
    Options

Well first I'd suggest that he horribly misunderstood whatever the physician may have said.

Chances are no physician said it, because to do so would be paramount to malpractice. More likely, a family member said it, a nurse said it, or he simply wants to believe it so badly he horribly misunderstood something an actual doctor said.

Aspartame has no relation whatsoever to Alzheimer's.
This discussion has been closed.