If You Drink DIET SODAS Then YOU Need to Read This.

Options

Replies

• _NautiBuoy_
    _NautiBuoy_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    How many calories do I log trying to consume this BS?
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    A woman died because of drinking too much soda that's a fact.

Bwahahahahaha!
  • Jewel0124
    Jewel0124 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Read this while sipping on my coke zero. :wink:
  • moridin82
    moridin82 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you believe that, I have a fantastic bridge to sell ya...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Don't know about all that. However, I spoke with the son of an old friend the other evening. I asked how his mother was and he looked at my kind of funny. His mother is only 59 years old and was diagnosed with alzheimers 3 years ago. The doctors are chalking it up to the aspartame in the three 2 liter bottles of diet Coke that she used to drink per day.

Early onset Alzheimers happened before aspertame existed. It's rare, but not unheard of.
    The father of a friend of mine developed Alzheimers when he was 45. He never drank Diet Coke or any other drinks with aspartame.

This..... My father never drank a diet soda in is life (was a black coffee drinker all his life) and he contracted Alzheimers in his early 60's.....
  • moridin82
    moridin82 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Bwahahahahaha!

I guess TECHNICALLY true

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2348631/Woman-Monaco-31-suffers-heart-problems-drinking-soda-16-years.html

But it's not like people are gonna die from downing a couple of cans Diet Mt. Dew...
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Any time there is information is posted on this board that questions soda, provides information that shows soda is harmful there is an automatic on cue response.

Almost like t a program kicks in, the same old posters show up on cue, with the same old same old gifs. Yawn Yawn

The posts have one thing in common , they are derogatory to the OP, possibly with the intent to discredit him. They do not provide any studies to refute the poster just the same old hostile attacks. If you report the insults the moderators they do not remove them,

Now I ask myself what is the payoff?????

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

ETA: sipping on diet pepsi.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    It was just a post i came by to be honest, Aspartame may or may not be bad for you but me personaly dont drink any thing but water anyway as its natural and think its the best and healthiest liquid around and most of all its free.

I've seen this post about every 6 months for the past 3 years, I think, in my facebook feed.

If you "just came by it" and decided to share it as if it was authority, without doing any fact checking (snopes.com is only one urban legend debunking webstie … incidentally, the report on things which are TRUE, too ), then don't get upset when people inform you of it's fallacies.

If the information was really truly correct, why would they need to create a story with such vague identifiers of person but such detailed description of the illnesses. If such a case had actually occurred, it would be all over national media, if not in the news, then in class action lawsuits but all those ambulance-chasing lawyers so ready to sue any company for anyone. Although, it would probably hit the news pretty fast too.

Just because a story matches with your personal beliefs about a demon(ized) food doesn't make it true. If you want to use this as a reason to not drink diet soda, more power to you (and more soda for those who like it :laugh:). Shouting it from the rooftops is going to get you, well, the responses of this thread.
  • BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    SODA in general is really bad for you.

I converted to Seltzer water and what i do is i add a hint of juice.

It's pretty good and refreshing. Turns out i was not craving the sugar but the bubbles....lolol

However, I do have Soda once awhile when I have Pizza so I think i have maybe 2 cans a month now of regular or diet soda.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options

Bwahahahahaha!

I guess TECHNICALLY true

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2348631/Woman-Monaco-31-suffers-heart-problems-drinking-soda-16-years.html

But it's not like people are gonna die from downing a couple of cans Diet Mt. Dew...

You can find someone who has died of just about anything. People are geniuses when it comes to inventing new ways to kill themselves.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

Bwahahahahaha!

I guess TECHNICALLY true

You can find someone who has died of just about anything. People are geniuses when it comes to inventing new ways to kill themselves.
    People have died from drinking water. I think we should all avoid water as well.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16614865/ns/us_news-life/t/woman-dies-after-water-drinking-contest/
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Bwahahahahaha!

I guess TECHNICALLY true

Yep.

People die quite regularly from drinking too much water. My aunt is a nurse in Boston and she told me there is more than one death every year at the end of the Boston Marathon DIRECTLY attributed to too much water.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

And lots of people have died from drinking too much water - that's a fact as well.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone has posted that Aspartame is a health food or that diet soda is a cure for anything. Its a matter of taking one particular substance, one anecdote, a doctors name and creating a story that gets embellished and passed around as gospel. It wouldn't matter if the substance was Aspartame, Sucralose or Fluoride, its posting something that sounds good but doesn't have research to back it up. I will say that I appreciate the sentiment behind this, but its vital to ensure it has evidence to back it up. There are too many people that look to stories like these for answers and could end up doing more harm than good. Having an issue that was mis/under-diagnosed for over 20 years, its easy to want to grab on to something and hope its real.

I read through this whole thing (tl;did r) because it pointed out MS and Fibromyalgia. My best friend has MS and my mom has Fibromyalgia. With the MS, the one glaring omission in this story was a lack of neuro exams to look for lesions in the Central Nervous System. She told me about all of the tests she's had to go through to get this diagnosis, plus the reading I've done from reputable sources. Same with my mom and seeing all of the pain she's gone through. To relate it to this posting, I know for a fact that neither of them have ever ingested more than a few diet sodas at all. We live in an area with a high MS diagnosis rate, and there could be some correlation to that, vitamin D levels and environmental issues (http://www.nationalmssociety.org/about-multiple-sclerosis/what-we-know-about-ms/what-causes-ms/index.aspx) .
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Well I guess too much diet soda made me bipolar, I'll just quit all my treatments and meds and use that as my defense in court when I rage on someone, another ploy for not taking accountability for behavior :noway:
  • rdsalem88
    rdsalem88 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Whether the OP article is authentic or not, why would anyone with a brain defend diet sodas or indeed any sodas!? Madness! It's just common sense that that stuff is not nurturing or helpful to the body in any way, shape or form.

No one is arguing that diet soda is a health food. We all know that it's not nurturing.

However, we are adults and we are allowed to indulge. And misinformation about the safety of food products people deem poisonous without any scientific claims to back it up should be called out for spreading such nonsense.

The fact is that I love diet soda because it mimics the taste of a real soda without any of the calories. I have been drinking 3-5 cans a week, and it has helped with my goals immensely.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Bwahahahahaha!

I guess TECHNICALLY true

People have died from laughing, which I may do during this thread...
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Its funny how people get so outraged when you try to warn them about diet soda. A woman died because of drinking too much soda that's a fact. I'm not saying don't drink it but anything artificial or fake is not good for you. People should be leaning towards eating healthy foods not chemically processed foods. Diseases have skyrocketed in the last 30 years because of all the junk we eat, that's a fact. You don't have to drink just water but diet soda isn't that great to drink either and there are warnings on packages of NutraSweet ever took a look at it?

To the bolded … yep, all the time.

"Warning, phenylketonureics, contains phenylalenine" (ok, my spelling is probably off).

Phenylalenine (how ever it's spelled :blushing:) is an amino acid. For those who haven't had biology, that's a building block of proteins. Phenylketonuresis (PKU) is a metabolic disorder that prevents the individual from breaking down that specific amino acid. There is a blood test done now, at birth and again at two weeks, to rule out PKU and other metabolic disorders. There's no cure, the best thing they can do is avoid that specific amino acid. Since it occurs NATURALLY in foods, they have to be kind of picky about what they eat, and the warning labels on Nutra Sweet and other foods containing aspartame let them know it's not a good choice for them. If they get too much, they develop dangerous ketones that cause brain damage and even death.

Don't have PKU? Then the warning doesn't apply. And if you had it, I'm pretty sure you'd know by now.
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I will NEVER drink soda. I only drink pop. I live to see another day...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    My advice to you is choose WATER to drink instead its ZERO Calories & Good for you.
    remeber the human body is 70 - 80% water to so we need water to servive :drinker:

My bottle of Diet Mt Dew is about 98% water. I'll probably 'servive.'
This discussion has been closed.