If You Drink DIET SODAS Then YOU Need to Read This.

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    How do people not know about Snopes.com by now? HOW??? HOW HOW HOW????
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I think MFP mods/admins should ban those who post diet soda is bad on sight.

Agreed!

iQtb7PpIQBr8K.gif
  • starlaca
    starlaca Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    In your original post you didn't say you came across the article, you made it look like this was "your sister" and that you were the hero who helped cure her. :brokenheart:
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    The world is dangerous! Stay in your homes and don't eat or drink anything! Oh crap, there's probably asbestos and mold in your home, so that's not safe either! I don't know what to do! Where's is my hyperbaric chamber!!!
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Whether the OP article is authentic or not, why would anyone with a brain defend diet sodas or indeed any sodas!? Madness! It's just common sense that that stuff is not nurturing or helpful to the body in any way, shape or form.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    How do people not know about Snopes.com by now? HOW??? HOW HOW HOW????

the same way they don't realize those chain emails are bs. I just can't say it or I will be calling people names.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Whether the OP article is authentic or not, why would anyone with a brain defend diet sodas or indeed any sodas!? Madness! It's just common sense that that stuff is not nurturing or helpful to the body in any way, shape or form.

Common sense is not science. I'll take science over common sense any day, because the body is complex and what we expect to happen isn't always what actually happens. Common sense is how we got a lot of the diet myths that have been disproven by research, like the 6 meals per day thing. People thought "well, digesting food burns calories, so eating more often must result in burning more calories" but that turns out to be false.

"Not nurturing" is not the same as "harmful." I don't think that soda is great nutrition. But I also don't think it's a deadly poison or that I somehow brought my lupus on myself by consuming aspartame.

If you want your argument to have a leg to stand on then you should stick to the facts and avoid fear-mongering, because you give up your credibility that way.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I learned a long time ago that any artificail sweetner was not good for me. Whether or not they are the cause of MS or lupus I don't know. I just know that they cause headaches and stomach distress for me. That's enouh reason for me to stay away from all of them.
  • rml_16
    Options
    "Not nurturing" is not the same as "harmful." I don't think that soda is great nutrition. But I also don't think it's a deadly poison or that I somehow brought my lupus on myself by consuming aspartame.

And it's mostly water, which IS good for the body, so it is, actually, nurturing -- even if not all the ingredients are.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

And it's mostly water, which IS good for the body, so it is, actually, nurturing -- even if not all the ingredients are.

Good point. :drinker:
  • stormcat701
    Options
    The level of denial of the negative aspects of many elements (not just Aspartame) in soft drinks is truly amazing. Plus, the c**p doesn't even quench your thirst anyway. And isn't it funny how adults don't let their children drink coffee but Red Bull and Mountain Dew are fine? C'mon! This stuff CANNOT be good for anyone. We had meetings at the office and it was doughnuts and cookies and fat muffins and diet soda and I'm thinking 'mass suicide?'
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    The level of denial of the negative aspects of many elements (not just Aspartame) in soft drinks is truly amazing. Plus, the c**p doesn't even quench your thirst anyway. And isn't it funny how adults don't let their children drink coffee but Red Bull and Mountain Dew are fine? C'mon! This stuff CANNOT be good for anyone. We had meetings at the office and it was doughnuts and cookies and fat muffins and diet soda and I'm thinking 'mass suicide?'
    Any time there is information is posted on this board that questions soda, provides information that shows soda is harmful there is an automatic on cue response.

Almost like t a program kicks in, the same old posters show up on cue, with the same old same old gifs. Yawn Yawn

The posts have one thing in common , they are derogatory to the OP, possibly with the intent to discredit him. They do not provide any studies to refute the poster just the same old hostile attacks. If you report the insults the moderators they do not remove them,

Now I ask myself what is the payoff?????
    My sentiments, exactly.
  • Senneth12
    Options

Defending this article and defending diet sodas are two completely different things.

Since many people accept chain emails as fact, people with health problems (in this case, MS) end up having to explain that they are actually sick and that, using this example, not drinking diet sodas will not cure their disease. Chronic illness is hard enough. Dealing with obviousely false claims of cures just adds insult to injury.

I'm pretty sure than diet sodas are bad for me. I also still drink them- two or three times a month. At that level, they probably aren't going to cause any damage. (Doctors think that the stuff that makes all sodas bubbly might be bad for your bones, and I have osteopenia, so I limit all carbonated drinks, not just diet sodas).
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    *sips cherry Coke zero while jumping in for the madness*

Will you share? I got the Vanilla on accident this time and it just isn't as good.

Send the vanilla my way. I loves it.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Any time there is information is posted on this board that questions soda, provides information that shows soda is harmful there is an automatic on cue response.

Almost like t a program kicks in, the same old posters show up on cue, with the same old same old gifs. Yawn Yawn

The posts have one thing in common , they are derogatory to the OP, possibly with the intent to discredit him. They do not provide any studies to refute the poster just the same old hostile attacks. If you report the insults the moderators they do not remove them,

Now I ask myself what is the payoff?????
    My sentiments, exactly.

1. The article is a known and confirmed urban legend. That means it IS NOT TRUE.

2. I acknowledge soda of any kind is not a health food, by any means. It isn't meant to be. I don't drink it, personally, except maybe once every few years. I still recognize that it isn't the evil, scary monster depicted in the OP. There's nothing wrong with pointing that out.
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Don't know about all that. However, I spoke with the son of an old friend the other evening. I asked how his mother was and he looked at my kind of funny. His mother is only 59 years old and was diagnosed with alzheimers 3 years ago. The doctors are chalking it up to the aspartame in the three 2 liter bottles of diet Coke that she used to drink per day.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Don't know about all that. However, I spoke with the son of an old friend the other evening. I asked how his mother was and he looked at my kind of funny. His mother is only 59 years old and was diagnosed with alzheimers 3 years ago. The doctors are chalking it up to the aspartame in the three 2 liter bottles of diet Coke that she used to drink per day.

Early onset Alzheimers happened before aspertame existed. It's rare, but not unheard of.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    bWT6f65.gif

Nope!.jpg
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

Early onset Alzheimers happened before aspertame existed. It's rare, but not unheard of.
    The father of a friend of mine developed Alzheimers when he was 45. He never drank Diet Coke or any other drinks with aspartame.
This discussion has been closed.