Does anyone have an electric bike and are they worth it??

Options
I have a regular bike but find hills such a struggle that it makes me reluctant to go out for a bike ride (I’m very overweight at the moment)

Wondering if an electric bike would make things easier for me and get me outdoors and active again.

Please share your thoughts - thank you!

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    I know I would not be happy with an electric bike for the simple reason that pretty much the lightest electric bikes are still about 16kg heavy. That's still heavier than my everyday bike, and cycling without support would not be a lot of fun. Note that this is a light electric bike. Most are a lot heavier, probably around 25kg or more. If you only want to use such a bike with support then this might be for you, but if you also want to use it without then really, do test it first.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    My brother and sister in law bought e-bikes and love them. They are both overweight with little cycling experience. They love the e-bikes as it lets them get some exercise without being overwhelmed by hills or distance. They are using the bikes as a way to become active.
    With that said, the e-bikes are significantly heavier than a standard road bike. If you need to transport them, a heavier bike rack is needed.
    My wife has also started riding an e-bike so that she can join me on longer group rides. It has been a great way for her to get out with a group of friends even though she wouldn’t be able to keep the pace on her own.
  • 365DayChallenge_
    365DayChallenge_ Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @Djproulx Thank you so much for this reply!! Exactly what I was hoping to hear ☺️
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite YT people did this comparison vid.

https://youtu.be/erhjnMru8kw
  • 365DayChallenge_
    Options
    @Retroguy2000 Thanks for sharing this video. I’m definitely going to get an e-bike!! 🚴🏻‍♀️💨
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,175 Member
    Options
    My decades long bicycling buddy got one last year and won't shut up about it. The two things he always says is: It's more fun, and I ride more because of it.
  • 365DayChallenge_
    Options
    @chris_in_cal Ha ha!! That’s good to know - I’m sold!! 🤩
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the e-bike here! Definitely agree with the weight thing, the first one I bought was a full size mountain bike and it weighed upwards of 25kg. I have to keep my bikes in a basement so getting it upstairs was not fun! I sold it and got a commuter-style one that weighs about 15kg. Much easier to manoeuvre. I know there are some light ones around but depends on your budget.

Mine definitely helps me get out more, I'll do short journeys to the shops etc where previously I would've driven. I always keep the assistance at the lowest level unless I'm on a big hill.

I also endorse it for people with health issues - I have spinal arthritis and cycling is one of the things that helps me stay mobile, and I don't think I'd get out as much on a standard bike.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I keep on looking at ebikes, but for me they are still to heavy. It's fun, it can be very tiresome and excellent training but I just love the feeling of being out and about on my racebike because it literally jumps forward when I hit the pedal. It's just so light and agile. Ebikes in comparison just don't give me this feeling.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I started mountain biking in Dec 2021 (after losing both of my parents over the 2020-2021 year) with an e-MTB. I fell in love. For the first time, I have a sport that I enjoy doing, that I want to do, that gets me out in nature and gets me moving. I got my enduro MTB in March of 2022, and got my XC race MTB bike in Apr of 2023 and just did my first race series (where I was last, but hey I did it!).

Honestly, if I hadn't started on the eMTB, I probably would have given up on a regular mountain bike. My fitness at the time was way less than what it was in 2019 (because I'd spent all of 2020 and half of 2021 worry about my parents, grieving the loss of my stepfather first... I didn't do anything physical). So the ebike helped me get into something I found I really loved and helped promote a lot of healing (both physically, mentally, and emotionally).

I LOVE my eMTB for really long adventures outdoors, and for providing really awesome and fun recovery rides because the motor lets me ride but manage lower heartrates and do more climbs and descents without getting smoked. I LOVE my regular mountain bikes for the challenges of climbing the hills and seeing progress both going up (fitness) and going down (skills). I have power meters on my normal mountain bikes now so I can measure my fitness via how much power I product, what my FTP is and my VO2Max is...

Ebikes are heavy, but if it gets you outside and doing something you love, nothing wrong with that! I'm an equal opportunity biker who's now considering adding a road bike to my quiver of options.

You can get lighter eMTBs (if you're going out on trails), and there's probably some lighter commuter-style/cruiser-style ebikes out there as well. Good luck!!
  • Mccloud74
    Mccloud74 Posts: 788 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I purchased an e-bike about 3 years ago and it was a complete game changer! Best investment I've ever made & I go everywhere on it!
    But I also go to the gym about 6 days a week - and cycle there :D
    If it gets you out & moving, then it's worth it :)
  • Savannahmiamaddie
    Savannahmiamaddie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My husband bought e-bikes for both of us this year. We already had recumbent bikes. Keep in mind, I am 71 and he’s 69. He LOVES the e-bike and rides almost everyday. He averages about 5 miles per day. On the other hand, it hasn’t worked out for me. Keep in mind, it has been years since I rode a bike that required balance. As it turns out, the ability to ride a bike, doesn’t always come back. After repeated crashes for 2 weeks I decided to stick with my recumbent bike. I think the extra weight of the e-bike, bad balance and the sudden acceleration led to my inability to ride the e-bike. I’m also a klutz…I really wish I could ride it because we live in a rural area with hilly roads. I often end up dragging my recumbent bike up one of the larger hills. I was hoping the e-bike would solve that problem.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    If you think it will get you moving..it is worth a try. why not. You can always sell it if you don't use it..